Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Actuarial Fables posted:

Speaking of the RHCSA, would I be doing myself a disservice by studying for the older exam based off of RHEL 7? That particular exam is available until October 2020, and the free study material I have access to doesn't have any RHEL 8 material.

At this point I’d go for RHEL8, especially if you intend to follow up with RHCE in a later stage. Changes between 7 and 8 are not that big as far as I remember. They ditched ldap/virtualization and introdiced VDO, Stratis and AppStreams.

Schadenboner posted:

So, in other words something every loving IT manager should take before they go :gizz:ing-off about :yaybutt: but don't because everything is horrible and sucks?

If you plan to move to AWS it’d probably save you anwsering hours of basic questions like “can I call Amazon to fix my issue when my application crashes?”.

that was an actual question I got from the Head of Innovation department who was responsible for coming up with the companies cloud strategy, not that long ago :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LochNessMonster posted:

If you plan to move to AWS it’d probably save you anwsering hours of basic questions like “can I call Amazon to fix my issue when my application crashes?”.

that was an actual question I got from the Head of Innovation department who was responsible for coming up with the companies cloud strategy, not that long ago :negative:

That’s perhaps a slightly naive question but not an outright stupid one. Depending on what the application is and which AWS services it’s using the answer could be yes, no, or maybe. Even within EC2 instances AWS provides some support for 3rd party applications.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

LochNessMonster posted:

At this point I’d go for RHEL8, especially if you intend to follow up with RHCE in a later stage. Changes between 7 and 8 are not that big as far as I remember. They ditched ldap/virtualization and introdiced VDO, Stratis and AppStreams.

Thanks. I'll go through the older material I have then wait for the updated stuff to come out.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

YOLOsubmarine posted:

That’s perhaps a slightly naive question but not an outright stupid one. Depending on what the application is and which AWS services it’s using the answer could be yes, no, or maybe. Even within EC2 instances AWS provides some support for 3rd party applications.

The question was more in line with “will Amazon do all our Ops stuff for us like SaaS”.

And it might not have been outright stupid, but I expected a lot better for the position the person had. If you’re supposed to come up with the companies cloud strategy and haven’t heard about the shared responsibility model there’s something wrong.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Is the Network+ Lab Simulator worth getting? Looking for something to be able to set up a network virtually I guess.

https://www.pearsonitcertification.com/store/comptia-network-plus-n10-007-hands-on-lab-simulator-9780789759573

Or should I be looking at a Cisco one?

EDIT: NVM Cisco Packet Tracer was what I was looking for.

the_enduser fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 31, 2020

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

My company's paying for me to attend SAFe SP training on the condition that I take and pass the exam. Just learned that the training is a start, but not everything I'll need for the exam, and I only have a month from the completion of the training to take the exam. Anyone been through this and have recommendations for training materials and/or how much time they had to spend studying?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How much time are they giving you during work hours to study following the course? Setting a limit of one month is a bit harsh I think.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

How much time are they giving you during work hours to study following the course? Setting a limit of one month is a bit harsh I think.

I can probably negotiate with my boss, but I haven't seen an estimate of how much time I need, so I don't have useful info to bring to my boss.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Can anyone comment on whether the Sec+ exam is harder than the practice exam at the end of Darill Gibson's book? I finished reading/note taking yesterday and I got a 92% on that practice exam, and I'm debating whether to just take the exam in the next few days or do some more practice tests. This is my first cert exam so I dunno if the questions in that book are particularly easy.

If they are easier, any recommendations for more practice exams, preferably cheap? I made Anki notecards after each chapter and reviewed for a few hours every day so I feel like I know the material pretty well, but the questions I missed were mostly due to my not reading carefully enough and I should probably practice a bit more so I don't do that on the real test.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Its been a few years since I've taken it, but from what I remember if you've memorized your ports, ciphers and encryptions along with some common sense you ought to be fine.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Gnumonic posted:

Can anyone comment on whether the Sec+ exam is harder than the practice exam at the end of Darill Gibson's book? I finished reading/note taking yesterday and I got a 92% on that practice exam, and I'm debating whether to just take the exam in the next few days or do some more practice tests. This is my first cert exam so I dunno if the questions in that book are particularly easy.

If they are easier, any recommendations for more practice exams, preferably cheap? I made Anki notecards after each chapter and reviewed for a few hours every day so I feel like I know the material pretty well, but the questions I missed were mostly due to my not reading carefully enough and I should probably practice a bit more so I don't do that on the real test.

I took it, and passed, about 2 weeks ago. I don't know about the Darrill Gibson book but in general, I would say that Sec+ is probably easier than you think.

I did spring for the measureup.com exam but I probably didn't need it. If you want to splurge though (they're $100+), the questions on that are very close to what's on the actual exam, and their explanations were very helpful. FWIW, measureup.com is pretty much the gold standard for practice exams, and they charge accordingly.

Given the amount of studying you've already done I would not encourage you to do that though. I bet you'll be fine. Good luck!

BTW, you'll get a handful of complex scenario questions right at the beginning. If you get them all easy, great! If not, don't sweat. They front-load those and then move onto the easier multiple choice questions.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

disaster pastor posted:

My company's paying for me to attend SAFe SP training on the condition that I take and pass the exam. Just learned that the training is a start, but not everything I'll need for the exam, and I only have a month from the completion of the training to take the exam. Anyone been through this and have recommendations for training materials and/or how much time they had to spend studying?

I took the class and exam in March. Company paid for it and there were 20 of us who all passed it with only 1 person scoring 85% or something, the rest all had > 90% scores I think. Before taking the exam you need to read some pdfs on their website and watch some videos you can’t skip but that’s about 2 hours of time in total.

It’s insanely simple to pass, read the training material once and make a cheat sheet out that has lists of things like the SAFe Core Values, Agile Manifesto, SAFe House of Lean pillars, etc. Keep this as a reference during your exam. PM me if you have questions on topics that should be on it.

It’s a webbased exam that is not proctored so there is nobody stopping you from keeping your course material / notes next to you. The SAFe website is good to have open in 1 tab. If you search for the subject of a question you are likely able to find the anwser.

I think you might even be able to pass it without reading any of the material and just googling every single question. It helps a lot when you recognize the buzzwords and their meaning though.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Gnumonic posted:

I don't know that book specifically, but if you've gone through a respectable study book, as long as you both generally understand the content and have a decent handle on the memorization-type stuff, you should have no problem passing the current exam. Sounds like you've done your diligence.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

I took the class and exam in March. Company paid for it and there were 20 of us who all passed it with only 1 person scoring 85% or something, the rest all had > 90% scores I think. Before taking the exam you need to read some pdfs on their website and watch some videos you can’t skip but that’s about 2 hours of time in total.

It’s insanely simple to pass, read the training material once and make a cheat sheet out that has lists of things like the SAFe Core Values, Agile Manifesto, SAFe House of Lean pillars, etc. Keep this as a reference during your exam. PM me if you have questions on topics that should be on it.

It’s a webbased exam that is not proctored so there is nobody stopping you from keeping your course material / notes next to you. The SAFe website is good to have open in 1 tab. If you search for the subject of a question you are likely able to find the anwser.

I think you might even be able to pass it without reading any of the material and just googling every single question. It helps a lot when you recognize the buzzwords and their meaning though.

Fantastic, thank you very much!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My studying for the CISSP has gone down sharply as work has picked up and my weekends in the summer got filled. Part of me wants to just cram the Sunflower guide and let experience do the rest but its an expensive enough test that I worry about doing that.

I guess Im just seeing if anyone has any last minute studying tips for this exam. I've been getting about %70 on the Boson practice tests.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My studying for the CISSP has gone down sharply as work has picked up and my weekends in the summer got filled. Part of me wants to just cram the Sunflower guide and let experience do the rest but its an expensive enough test that I worry about doing that.

I guess Im just seeing if anyone has any last minute studying tips for this exam. I've been getting about %70 on the Boson practice tests.
In the week or two leading up to my exam I just powered through the official practice questions book and felt comfortable when I was getting >75% in all domains. Sunflower guide was my cram the morning of.

https://www.amazon.com/CISSP-Official-ISC-Practice-Tests-ebook-dp-B07D8FZN8M/dp/B07D8FZN8M/ref=mt_kindle?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=

You can do fine and pass with just experience once you're familiar with the type of questions and answers they expect.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Any recommendations for practice tests for the AWS Certified Solutions Analyst - Associate exam? I set up a website with a VPC with a public and a private subnet, set up routing tables, internet gateway, NAT gateway, RDS instance, S3 bucket, webserver, installed the software through the terminal, so I feel like I should be able to do decently on a practice test now.

Question: Do they expect you to remember what all of the abbreviations for the different instance types and storage classes are, because that went in one ear and out the other in the class I took. Storage classes like magnetic vs general purpose solid state, not like S3 vs Glacier.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
You don’t need to know instance types. You can find practice exams for a tenner on udemy and they’re only moderately good. They tend to the slightly out of date. Still, it’s good to know the format.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 8, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The ACloudGuru ones or the LinuxAcademy ones? I guess they're the same now, I remember someone saying the ACG practice exams weren't as good as some others. I took one of the ACG ones included with my course as soon as I was done and failed terribly, but it seems like some stuff was covered on there that isn't covered on the test as far as I can tell from the stuff listed on AWS's website. And also I'm pretty sure there were some cases where he said "this won't be on the test" and then there was a practice exam question on it. Including the instance types/storage types.

E: The Jon Bonso ones? I crossposted here and the AWS thread in Cavern of COBOL, that's what someone recommended there.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 8, 2020

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Just passed the CySA+ :toot:

Pretty sure I'm done with CompTIA certs for real this time, I mainly wanted to get another to renew the A+, Net+, and Sec+. I know it doesn't matter that much probably, but I'd hate to let them expire, especially given how much I put into just passing the Net+.

Because of the 'roni, they've opened it up to be able to take from home, and the process was surprisingly smooth. Didn't even have to talk to a proctor, I thought they'd at least have me move my webcam around or something but nope.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Nice congrats! I'm looking at taking my Net+ test here and was curious how the remote testing was like.
Sounds pretty simple (besides the studying!)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Just passed the CySA+ :toot:

Pretty sure I'm done with CompTIA certs for real this time, I mainly wanted to get another to renew the A+, Net+, and Sec+. I know it doesn't matter that much probably, but I'd hate to let them expire, especially given how much I put into just passing the Net+.

Because of the 'roni, they've opened it up to be able to take from home, and the process was surprisingly smooth. Didn't even have to talk to a proctor, I thought they'd at least have me move my webcam around or something but nope.

Do companies actually care about expired certs?

Also WGU does testing at home with a webcam and proctor watching you, you also have to spin your webcam 360 to see the whole deskspace. It's really nice actually unless you get a bad proctor.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Would this be of any value for AWS stuff?

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/get-certified-packt-books?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_7

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Welp, I took night classes for about 2.5 years, got my A+, N+, Sec+, Project+, and just did Cloud Essentials+ today only to land a job in my not really related to IT stuff career field that I was kinda trying to get out of. On the other hand, it's a much better location so it's not the worst thing to have possibly happened

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Hotel Kpro posted:

Welp, I took night classes for about 2.5 years, got my A+, N+, Sec+, Project+, and just did Cloud Essentials+ today only to land a job in my not really related to IT stuff career field that I was kinda trying to get out of. On the other hand, it's a much better location so it's not the worst thing to have possibly happened

Thats a very solid foundation to start a IT career from. I know the job market sucks right now, but any helpdesk jobs in your area? You can at least get some experience there and get your feet wet before moving up.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just scheduled my CISSP exam for 10 weeks from now!

Not many testing centers open for this one and they're all booked pretty far out. Fingers crossed on this one. Its the most expensive exam I've ever taken. I feel fairly confident going in but still get jittery thinking about it. If I pass my boss has talked about creating a security position exclusively for me.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just scheduled my CISSP exam for 10 weeks from now!

Not many testing centers open for this one and they're all booked pretty far out. Fingers crossed on this one. Its the most expensive exam I've ever taken. I feel fairly confident going in but still get jittery thinking about it. If I pass my boss has talked about creating a security position exclusively for me.

The best part is that if you do well, you will pass in 100 questions. So clicking NEXT after 100 is nerve wracking. And if you get question 101, you better start trying.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Are people still getting the MCSA Server 16 since its going away next year? And if so do we know what will be replacing it?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Studying for the Sec+, and I'm having a difficult time taking this seriously.

quote:

bluejacking and bluesnarfing

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Actuarial Fables posted:

Do they still cover "warchalking"?

Psst hey fellas, open guest wifi over here. Look for the sign...

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Lets just check the glossary...

quote:

war-chalking: The act of physically drawing symbols in public places that denote open, closed, or protected wireless networks.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Actuarial Fables posted:

If you certify, you'll eventually get an invitation to a workshop to generate new questions. I suspect a handful of goons in the Chicago area could get some madeup content added to the body of knowledge, and blow the lid when it is published in the next edition.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Actuarial Fables posted:

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
You guys start a discord too?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Bluejacking and bluesnarfing show up in the materials for like every exam. I think it’s a subconscious meme at this point.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Well twenty-three skidoo, I thank ye kindly fellow traveler, just gonna take my bindle and mosey on over thataway!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

You guys start a discord too?

There’s the IT Goons Slack: https://join.slack.com/t/somethingawfulitgoons/shared_invite/zt-8xixxar7-4_miJVqB6K7NZ_fe9G~rgw

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I take my AWS CSA Associate on the 16th, time to take some practice exams and figure out where specifically I have no idea what I'm doing.

My job doesn't have an open position in the cloud team that I would fit in, but they are hiring for a more senior position so maybe if I get this cert they will promote one of their current guys to that one and I can get into his old spot.

Or if they say "maybe once the economy recovers" or "we don't have a position right now but here's some work you can do to see what it will be like," well, I'm working remotely so they have no way of knowing my personal computer will be on Indeed and Dice all day long.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Are there any recommended practice-related exams for certifications on Udemy or similar web-based learning platform?

I guess it would sort of depend on the exam, of course. It's more so I can get a rough idea of which portions of the exams I'd need to be focusing more heavily with. (A+, N+ to start)

Nothing's going to replace cold, hard time spent studying, for sure. Just want to make sure I'm trying to be efficient about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
On Udemy: Dion Training and Mike Meyers offer some practice exams that I found really helpful when studying for the Network+.