Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCHet0Sddk0

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This is so wholesome :3:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I finally got my blu-ray player back :unsmith: Just in time for the rewatch to be over.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I started rewatching the return and an ice cream truck started blaring outside during the bit where the thing in the box kills that pasty dude and the little girl from the nanny. now that’s how to kill a vibe

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Escobarbarian posted:

I started rewatching the return and an ice cream truck started blaring outside during the bit where the thing in the box kills that pasty dude and the little girl from the nanny. now that’s how to kill a vibe

Somehow, that sounds extremely Lynch-ian. Like, a little slice of Blue Velvet just rolled through your life.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If I watch the last episode, the show will be over. :ohdear:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jerusalem posted:

If I watch the last episode, the show will be over. :ohdear:
You can always watch the season again! Or the whole series :)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still can’t believe Lynch actually named the kid Sonny Jim lmaoooooo

this is the best show ever

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNPGBdl1DHE

You love to see it

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

:unsmith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

pyrotek posted:

You love to see it

Hell yes :hai:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I saw Finn Andrews of the Veils play a show last night, and he played Axlotl (which is super loving good with just him an a piano, btw).

There's something real cool about seeing a song from the Roadhouse being played in a venue that's aesthetically pretty similar.

It's not much, but in this hellworld I'll take what I can get.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I finished up episode 18 at last. It's wonderful and beautiful and sad and I never quite realized that after arriving at the Palmer house and not finding what he wanted, Cooper is reenacting the weird stutter-step he did on the road with Diane when looking for the passage into a.... parallel timeline? Different plane of reality? Thin place in the skin of the world? Is he going to try and do it all over again until he finally finds a way to "save" Laura? That moment he asks what year it is feels like the first time since "waking" from his coma that he doesn't have full confidence that he is in control of the situation.

Also I'm the idiot who didn't grasp/remember the significance of the Chalfont/Tremond connection at the Palmer house. There's so much to unpack in that final scene, and the final shot of the house going black and Laura/Cassie screaming is haunting, as is the shot of his face in the Lodge as not-Laura whispers in his ear during the closing credits. I will never forget this beautiful show.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 13, 2020

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

THE STORY OF A SMALL BUG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fvejLDSZYQ

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Jerusalem posted:

I finished up episode 18 at last. It's wonderful and beautiful and sad and I never quite realized that after arriving at the Palmer house and not finding what he wanted, Cooper is reenacting the weird stutter-step he did on the road with Diane when looking for the passage into a.... parallel timeline? Different plane of reality? Thin place in the skin of the world? Is he going to try and do it all over again until he finally finds a way to "save" Laura? That moment he asks what year it is feels like the first time since "waking" from his coma that he doesn't have full confidence that he is in control of the situation.

Also I'm the idiot who didn't grasp/remember the significance of the Chalfont/Tremond connection at the Palmer house. There's so much to unpack in that final scene, and the final shot of the house going black and Laura/Cassie screaming is haunting, as is the shot of his face in the Lodge as not-Laura whispers in his ear during the closing credits. I will never forget this beautiful show.

after spending most of quarantine reading your sopranos breakdowns, i'm real glad to see you here in the peaks thread

i'm convinced of the bardo theory myself but with frost/lynch it's hard to pin the return down to any one thing

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I've been watching through the series from the beginning with a bunch of friends who haven't seen it (who are also goons and I told you guys not to read this thread, so stop reading now!)

We' just got through S3E6 tonight and they're at the "when does Cooper wake up from being Dougie? How many episodes has he been like this!?" and I am biting my tongue bloody trying to keep my mouth shut.

They are loving it, and have gotten way more into it once Season 3 started. We'll probably do Ep 7 and 8 next and I cannot wait for their reaction to Ep 8.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

sinnesloeschen posted:

i'm convinced of the bardo theory myself but with frost/lynch it's hard to pin the return down to any one thing

What is the bardo theory? I'm not familiar with it and a Google search mostly brings up people referencing it indirectly as opposed to saying what it is! :)

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
The Return has a lot of disparate details but I see the main theme as 3 alternate ways to live your life, represented by the 3 Coopers. Dougie represents living totally in the present. Agent Cooper lives too much in the past (at some points, literally), and that's his undoing. Evil Cooper only looks towards his future goals, but ultimately its almost like a dog chasing cars.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
While it comes from one of the weak episodes of season 2, one of my favorite exchanges on the show as always the bit where Earle asks Briggs what he most fears in the world, and Briggs answers 'the possibility that love is not enough.'

To me, that fear is the ultimate horror of the ending. Love was not enough. Cooper, our heroic, infallibly caring and wholesome, hero was unable to save Laura, Diane, or ultimately even himself.

It feels at odds in some ways with a lot of what I'd expect from Lynch but I'm really not sure how else to interpret the ending.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

While it comes from one of the weak episodes of season 2, one of my favorite exchanges on the show as always the bit where Earle asks Briggs what he most fears in the world, and Briggs answers 'the possibility that love is not enough.'

It rules and is the capstone of the hundreds of reasons why Major Briggs owns

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Well, now I gotta post this because it's just ... so ... splendid, I think is the word. Just one of the best moments captured on screen, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjeCNnbVYAQ

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Laterite posted:

Well, now I gotta post this because it's just ... so ... splendid, I think is the word. Just one of the best moments captured on screen, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjeCNnbVYAQ

that is No. 2 on the list of reasons.

I love how you think Briggs is gonna be this total rear end in a top hat because he slaps Bobby but it's rapidly revealed that he's operating on a way different plane than almost everyone else

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Jerusalem posted:

What is the bardo theory? I'm not familiar with it and a Google search mostly brings up people referencing it indirectly as opposed to saying what it is! :)

this link https://www.lionsroar.com/four-points-for-letting-go-bardo/

is a little much, but does a fair job describing the current popular accepted understanding of what the bardo is and why it exists

basically its the liminal space between life and death, but not exactly? and to me, cooper is completely unable to 'let go' of his self-perceived narrative of being the good savior, the white hatted cowboy, the one who saves the day

to me, as he's in the lodge, is it future or is it past, is cooper reliving and re-experiencing the events of twin peaks through a variety of perspectives and points of view, some more omniscient than others

he is provided the opportunity to live these experiences (i believe) in order to help him come to terms with the fact that he cannot, does not, and will not ever save the day, not really, as the wind through the trees/the black-white lodge dichotomy is eternal and changeless

in the iteration of the bardo through which we get to follow cooper/mr. c/dougie jones in the return, it seems to me that even this iteration is not enough for cooper to understand and internalize the big-t Truth of his... failure? for lack of a better word?

i am convinced because of my own lived experiences that the last we see of laura palmer with dale cooper in the red room, she is explicity describing the number of iterations he's experienced in the bardo, that she's telling him all the stories of all the different outcomes he himself has created within this liminal space. his look (to me!) is the horror of realization -- that just like when laura told cooper who killed her in the original series run, he's going to forget all she's told him, doomed to repeat the cycle, time and time again

please understand that this is only my perspective and i could be a) completely wrong, b) off base, and/or c) nonsensical. i find the rorschach-test-like ability of frost's writing and lynch's visuals to allow the viewer to inject their lived experiences and perceptions onto a work in so many interesting and creative ways to be one of the many reasons that twin peaks is so compelling

edit: i could also see an argument for the return as a meditation on ageing and death/transformative change
or as a treatise on generational trauma and the horror of passing down violence and death via familial ties/socialization
or as a group of people trying to make sense of a senseless existence that has "moved on"

sorry for making GBS threads up a cool thread, y'all are cool

sinnesloeschen fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 23, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks! It's an interesting theory for sure. I do like the idea of Cooper forever trying to "save" Laura from a fate that had already happened before he knew she existed. Though like with a lot of Twin Peaks theories I think it's essentially folly (but extremely fun!) to try and come up with a grand unifying theory that explains everything. I feel like Lynch (and Frost) had some very clear ideas in mind re: particular themes but were also enjoying branching out into different things for different characters at different times, which ended up creating this beautiful gestalt show we all know and love.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
What I'd really like to know is, how different are Frost's and Lynch's understanding of the overall themes, concepts, and messages of the whole series? Were they fundamentally aligned, and did they even care to be by the end? Lynch is known for not wanting to over-explain his work to the public, but I wonder if he tries to explain it to collaborators. Or if he just gets them to trust in the vision of it all, and lets someone like Frost fill in the more literal details.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I THINK there's a Naomi Watts interview where she says she kept trying to tell Lynch she figured out Mulholland Drive to get him to open up about it. He does something like say OH GOOD and walks away.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Consummate Professional posted:

I THINK there's a Naomi Watts interview where she says she kept trying to tell Lynch she figured out Mulholland Drive to get him to open up about it. He does something like say OH GOOD and walks away.

Lynch is the loving best, ahahaha.

I always think about him happily explaining to those two dudes why he had a live cow on the side of the road and what it had to do with pushing for Laura Dern getting an Oscar nomination, and how they just nodded and thanked him very much before leaving him beaming in his little chair :allears:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

On the DVD commentaries, they talk about how Briggs was originally supposed to be a conservative hardass, but Don S. Davis insisted on making him a wise man instead, and they just went with it.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
Without cows, you wouldn't have cheese.

Without cheese, you wouldn't have Inland Empire.

Obviously.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Where are y‘all gonna go to chat about Twin Peaks now that Lowtax is outed as an abuser, btw?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean feel free to suggest a place

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

To be honest, I'm probably not the best person to suggest something. I used to be on a Nintendo forum when I was 10, and now I'm here. :shrug:

If you like, I can create a topic in lp.zone, which is a forum made by ex-goons who got permabanned by lowtax for calling him out on some poo poo. It is similar to SA in that

- The layout isn't super cluttered.
- Posters are fairly well-spoken.
- It's dead and no one posts there.

But crucially: No Lowtax

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So like, the black lodge

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Pretty much. :getin:

If you know a forum that's more like Missoula, Montana, I'm all ears, though. :colbert:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm on Twitter (@black_l0dger) and I talk about Twin Peaks/Lynch-related stuff on there from time to time :shobon: I'd be glad to follow any of y'all on there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Join us over at the TVIV discord

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rageaholic posted:

I'm on Twitter (@black_l0dger) and I talk about Twin Peaks/Lynch-related stuff on there from time to time :shobon: I'd be glad to follow any of y'all on there.

I'll follow you. :) Not sure how much you'd like my posts because I made that account for posting Animal Crossing screencaps (and being followed by swery because he still does that, apparently :3:)

Escobarbarian posted:

Join us over at the TVIV discord

How do we make a David Lynch thread there? Do I have to request one? Will I look very foolish when no one wants to hang out with me? :ohdear:

By the way, I've been going through the thread and copying out some posts I might want to read again (mostly kaworu's, those are wild) and this one jumped out to me. That poo poo blew my mind when it was mentioned shortly after episode 8 aired:

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I have this friend who's kind of crazy, who is unspoiled and working through the show and currently at s2e17, and he just....out of NOWHERE started talking about nuclear bombs.

He posted a picture of a mushroom cloud in Skype, and I was confused and wondering if he'd googled Twin Peaks and gotten spoiled. I ask why he posted it, and he merely said
"so is BOB a Surinam toad."

"??? Why did you post the bomb."'

"isn't it obvious? Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy. it's a little jumbled and jivey, but I might point out the first H-bomb test was codenamed Ivy MIKE. you expect me, the weapons fetishist, not to know my bombs? and how bob (Robert)'s name was chosen probably as a reference to Robert (j. oppenheimer)? plus BOB sounds so innocuous and goofy"

He's Quoting "Mairzy Doats," that song possessed Leland sings that makes the Horne brothers start dancing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B62P6Gm9jpE
:aaa: Okay okay. Is this a coincidence? Is this just my friend reaching with no real info and getting VERY close to the truth, or did he just blow open a new theory?

So I say, "What? Start over."
"BOB, the evil spirit, puts letters under dead peoples fingernails. those are in the process of spelling "Robert, or Robertson, indicating Leland, son of robert. Bob is short for Robert. Robert is the first name of oppenheimer, the famous nuclear scientist and "I am become death" quoter. going with the nuke theme, MIKE's name must be from IVY MIKE, the first H-Bomb. its exemplar as a triumph of hate as well as an antithesis of that naturalistic woodsy vibe twin peaks works on."

Then he started to talk about how cool he thinks nukes are, and I tried saying that nukes are Bad, on a fundamental and spiritual level. But I can hardly wait for him to catch up and see this past episode.

And More fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 25, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

And More posted:

How do we make a David Lynch thread there? Do I have to request one? Will I look very foolish when no one wants to hang out with me? :ohdear:

I will make a Twin Peaks channel right now!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

And More posted:

By the way, I've been going through the thread and copying out some posts I might want to read again (mostly kaworu's, those are wild) and this one jumped out to me. That poo poo blew my mind when it was mentioned shortly after episode 8 aired:

First of all, I totally remember that post you quoted and it is CRAZY that someone was on that particular line of thinking just from watching season 2! But he really might be on to something, I mean, I was just reading the wikipedia page for Ivy Mike, and I am kinda blown away, mostly from looking at a picture of the "bomb", which was actually... It actually resembled a small building. ACTUALLY, it looks kind of like a an old filling station or, I think you say... Convenience store? It has these things that look like gas pumps as a part of the bomb/building.

That is a picture of "Ivy Mike" as it appeared before it was detonated. I know it's not a dead ringer for the "Convenience store", but still - drat. I think I sort of get part of why the "convenience store" was at the end of the epic nuclear explosion zoom-in, I think. No clue what it means or if it is meant to mean anything, but there is definitely something there - gotta be.

And thank you sooo much for the kind words And More, and for saving some of my posts for posterity in case this whole place were to go up in smoke (hopefully not it seems?) Your posts are totally fabulous too, of course! Heck, probably at least half of the wild theories I posted were inspired from you bringing up something cool/interesting, or pushing the discussion into new places :). This has easily been my favorite thread in the entire forums, to be honest, and it would have been drat sad to lose it. Actually, the one and only thing I did on the BnR forum was start a Lynch discussion thread where I posted his weather video every day.

I had thought about posting it every day in this thread but, well, David Lynch looking out the window and describing the weather every morning did not seem quite pertinent enough to the discussion, though maybe I am wrong! I do love watching his videos every morning. People in the comments are like "Well I don't live in LA so this isn't useful to me..." and I want to say "I live in LA and it's not exactly useful to me, either, I can just look out my window and get the same information!"

The whole thing is so fun and funny to me. I just love hearing David telling me that there WILL be "Golden Sunshine", and telling me to have a great day. It's a wonderful way to start each morning, and I love that he uploads every video from the same place, at the same time (6:50AM PST is when he uploads it) and always with the same objects on the desk, the same mug with hot black coffee and always with steam visibly curling off it... I love that he keeps that particular detail consistent but people don't seem to notice it in the comments, really :) They are all too enthralled with the joy of hearing David say "GOLDEN SUNSHINE", which is understandable.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's been a long while since I've thought about this show. I'm thinking about rewatching it.