Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah I have to admit that we've had a lot of problems with the Surface not docking/undocking properly.
It is not a smooth transition especially if you have a lot of poo poo plugged in.
The Surface Book is trash though.

Still, overall I've been pretty happy with the performance of my Surface, docking issues aside.
Firmware updates have eliminated most of this for us (definitely seen it, though), especially in the more recent Surfaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanatosian posted:

Firmware updates have eliminated most of this for us (definitely seen it, though), especially in the more recent Surfaces.

oh yeah same but we still have docking weirdness from time to time for generations 3 through 7.
Like why the gently caress I have to unplug just a single monitor from my dock like once a week baffles me.
No amount of hard reboots, soft reboots, configuration changes, or monitor power cycling resolves it. I just have to unplug one monitor from the dock and plug it back in and everything is immediately fine.

I think my favorite firmware fix was the Surface3 power/battery firmware update that resolved that drat fan noise.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh yeah same but we still have docking weirdness from time to time for generations 3 through 7.
Like why the gently caress I have to unplug just a single monitor from my dock like once a week baffles me.
Yeah, definitely seen that a few times. Haven't heard any complaints of it lately, but I'm sure the COVID WFH is helping with that.

I have also seen that with Lenovo docks, though.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
You will have to pry my T460 from my cold, dead hands!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanatosian posted:

*looks down at work T460*

Ummm... Yeah, that's amazing.

The CPU is always nEar 50%, constantly getting docked and undocked, ride in the cart with our tools etc

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

capitalcomma posted:

You will have to pry my T460 from my cold, dead hands!

I fall asleep with my T460 on my bed, this thing has fallen off dozens of times, had to deal with me flailing in my sleep, screen being pushed back all the way, weighted blankets, power cord being under regular tension, and it still works and the battery still lasts 7 hours. The day this dies or a dual-core i7 isn't enough for casual use gonna be a dark one.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I've got a W520 still chugging along at work as my lab / stage things computer. It is down to about 30m of battery life even with the extended battery. But all I need it for is to console into stuff.
I hope the current X1 carbons are still good when its time to replace my work 4th gen, because I really like it. A bunch of people got the X1 Extremes, and I have no idea why.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

I've got a W520 still chugging along at work as my lab / stage things computer. It is down to about 30m of battery life even with the extended battery. But all I need it for is to console into stuff.
I hope the current X1 carbons are still good when its time to replace my work 4th gen, because I really like it. A bunch of people got the X1 Extremes, and I have no idea why.

They're better, or so people say? :v:

My personal laptop right now is an X1C 6th gen, it's fine. Work laptop is a P52.

I might sell the X1C and get one of the new Ryzen-based laptops, but I don't really have a good justification for doing so :haw:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wibla posted:

They're better, or so people say? :v:

My personal laptop right now is an X1C 6th gen, it's fine. Work laptop is a P52.

I might sell the X1C and get one of the new Ryzen-based laptops, but I don't really have a good justification for doing so :haw:

My personal laptop is a four-year-old $250 Acer chromebook. I don't ever want a laptop or tablet I'm terrified to lose. On the rare times I have to run something in Windows from it, I just remote into my desktop. Super happy with it.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

In case the forums vanish - Something Awful IT Goons Slack

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
holy poo poo hope none of yal were using fleetsmith. jesus christ.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That'll be Jamf making GBS threads themselves then

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol no apple bought fleetsmith and shut down like half of the options so the entire macadmins slack is losing its collective poo poo. Like apple even turned off kext exceptions in fleetsmith and its orphaning a ton of devices.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I am so sick and loving tired of having all the brainless make-work tickets dumped on me.

Send out a mass email! Call the print vendor to service this printer! Grant/remove access to this shared inbox/distribution list/calendar! Create/disable this AD account!

I've worked here for two years and have a proven loving track record of being able to handle poo poo that needs more than two brain cells to handle. I've even told my boss I'm bored as poo poo and have nothing to do, so please give me stuff to work on, and I'm still sitting on my loving thumbs all day!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

silicone thrills posted:

lol no apple bought fleetsmith and shut down like half of the options so the entire macadmins slack is losing its collective poo poo. Like apple even turned off kext exceptions in fleetsmith and its orphaning a ton of devices.
Holy gently caress. Never thought I'd be happy to be on Airwatch.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Reading horror stories of people who lost their entire software catalogs and are going to have to rebuild everything from scratch.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

silicone thrills posted:

Reading horror stories of people who lost their entire software catalogs and are going to have to rebuild everything from scratch.

Lol you never sell to a giant corp unless you are some scum fucker. You sell out, and they will gut your product/service, or shut it down outright to use the resources elsewhere.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Most people don't expect it to happen on the day of the announcement though

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I installed two IP cameras today in an area where some patients had an “incident” with one of our employees this past weekend.

First one comes up fight. Second one I had to enable the switch port.

Whole loving stack drops when I enable the port. gently caress these 8-10 year old switches. We were going to buy new ones but COVID. Right at 3:50 when I am about to go home. Ugh.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Jaded Burnout posted:

Put that on a loving tshirt with the grenade logo.

Well said

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Is there no SH/SC Discord?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Most people don't expect it to happen on the day of the announcement though

Really? This is hardly an isolated event by now, right?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Weatherman posted:

Is there no SH/SC Discord?

There's a channel on the Something Awful discord.

https://discord.gg/CX6aJp

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

How long have you had them? Surface Laptops or Surface Books?

Everyone I know who rolled out Surface Books regretted it a year later. The hardware failure rate is astronomical.

We use Surface Book IIs in our department, and we haven't had any issues at all. :shrug:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Pissing me off: I tried to let my boss know that a user did a thing with their assigned laptop that is against policy (lending it to another user without telling us) and my boss' first question was why I was handling the ticket at all.

I was then told, effectively, that I'm not paid to think; if I grab a ticket out of the queue that is for someone not at the main office, just assign said ticket to the satellite office's service desk team.

gently caress this, time to get serious about :yotj:.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Working for a business with a culture of "Don't ask what's behind the curtain" is an excellent career move as the economy is taking a nosedive

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Pissing me off: the thought of losing this wonderful community.

Not pissing me off: Signing an offer tomorrow on a really great job back home closer to my wife and I's families.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

tactlessbastard posted:

Checkout the new sticky.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Checkout the new sticky.

Did not see that coming!

The news, or that gif.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Pissing me off: Being told by a HR drone that "it should be quick and simple" when importing deduction information for the entire organization with little lead time because HR dropped the ball on getting the information while updating employee contributions with another (new) vendor. All before Tuesday.

Funny that they weren't quite as eager to take over the process when I told them it was 35,000 lines to be imported for the deductions alone.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Checkout the new sticky.

Woo jeff!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah, it was the best possible outcome I think.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tactlessbastard posted:

Not pissing me off: Signing an offer tomorrow on a really great job back home closer to my wife and I's families.

Fuckin' A, TB, I'm happy for you.

Glad you got out of the last loving place, even if it wasn't on your terms. How does the new job compare to the old (other than the lack of owner's son making your life miserable)?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Well that's definitely a cartoon pig appearing from inside a man's rectum

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Well that's definitely a cartoon pig appearing from inside a man's rectum

It has sound, too.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Thanatosian posted:

Fuckin' A, TB, I'm happy for you.

Glad you got out of the last loving place, even if it wasn't on your terms. How does the new job compare to the old (other than the lack of owner's son making your life miserable)?

Less responsibility, a 4x12 schedule so way less work, more money, and more opportunity for advancement (international company vs family company), way better benefits.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The Claptain posted:

It has sound, too.

The true symbol of revolution

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
Had a night of blood sugar so low in my sleep that my glucose sensor just recorded a flat line at the bottom of the graph.
Felt like absolute death when I woke up, so emailed the Directors, set my VoIP phone to "sick" and went back to bed after eating some haribo and a few slices of toast.

Made it 2 hours before one of the Directors phoned me on my mobile (forgot to set it to night mode).

"Sorry to disturb you, I know you are sick but this is an emergency!"

What was so important that he needed to wake me up after almost dying in my sleep?

His wife owns an outdoor leisure business that is allowed to open from July 4th. He was doing something on the website for this business and deleted the link (that I set up) to the online booking and payment system (that I also set up). This business gets maybe 2 to 3 bookings per week, so clearly it needed to be fixed then and there, most certainly couldn't have waited for a few more hours.

This website is hosted on probably the worst website builder I have ever seen. Rather than go with a 1&1 hosting and domain package with a nice easy to use wordpress install that I suggested and offered to set up, the Director's wife went with the one recommended by her sister (who works for the local council, has never done anything related to web design and who I suspect just googled "website builder" and picked the first result) and made the most awful looking, unresponsive piece of poo poo I have ever seen. It seriously looks like something from the mid 90s, but with a giant JPEG set as the background so it scrolls up and down at 1 frame per second.
Rather than ask me to set things up from the start (or their son-in-law who actually is a web designer), they keep taking advice from random people in this lesuire community who all have absolutely zero IT knowledge.
So I quite often get phonecalls asking if I can figure out why this random piece of booking or results software doesn't work, oh and can I also show the Director's wife how to use it, oh and can I also integrate it into the website too, oh but the lady who set it up used her own email address so you can't reset the password for it so you'll need to chase her to get her to send the reset link (after sending you her personal email password several times).

Closest I have come to quitting on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Why did you offer to set up a website for a director's wife's personal business