Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Is that even possible? I thought he didn't have a spine

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he threw it out by swinging at his wife too hard

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Does SH/SC have a Discord? I still want to get goon opinions on GPUs and PC builds and stuff.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Well, that's not good, on multiple levels.

Can someone host a clone of this subforum and let the sh/sc goodness continue?

Discord doesn't do it for me, I need a vbulletin 2 fix

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Was wondering myself where the not so vast SA diaspora would go to.

Its been a fun ride. I got a lot of value out of my :10bux: over the years but all things come to an end. Hobbies, humor, values all change over time. I posted here less and less, lurked more and more, and find myself going to more niche hobby forums than anything these days.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Does SH/SC have a Discord? I still want to get goon opinions on GPUs and PC builds and stuff.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

https://goondiscordnetwork.com/

The main server has an shsc channel, but without subject threads, it's a poor substitute for a forum. Better than nothing if worse comes to worse, but I think it uses the forum for verification.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Isn't this the nerd subforum, can't one of you nerds just mirror all the existing threads and find a way to migrate without admin permissions

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
just gonna drop our slack channel here, because why have one forum for communication when you can have a dozen?

https://join.slack.com/t/somethingawfulitgoons/shared_invite/zt-8xixxar7-4_miJVqB6K7NZ_fe9G~rgw

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 24, 2020

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

just gonna drop our slack channel here, because why have one forum for communication when you can have a dozen?

https://join.slack.com/t/somethingawfulitgoons/shared_invite/zt-8xixxar7-4_miJVqB6K7NZ_fe9G~rgw

Thanks, what the hell is slack?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If I was'a discord id'a discord. It's been a pleasure posting with y'all. Please don't turn to Reddit for PC building advice.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I wasn't joking when I said nothing but an actual forum would be a reasonable replacement. Discord is not something I would use instead of SA forums

Still, I'll chime in and say, it was an absolute pleasure helping people build computers over the years, write small programmes and give general advice, as well as discussing tech news.

Vegetable posted:

Isn't this the nerd subforum, can't one of you nerds just mirror all the existing threads and find a way to migrate without admin permissions

vv I'm not going anywhere until it is no more, but who knows when that'll be

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 24, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Keep posting. If you have ads off and aren't buy AV's and custom titles, you're actually costing the woman beater money!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Someone write a script to do CPU intensive searches over and over again.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I don't know much more about what's going on (wake up, WHAT THE gently caress!) than you guys to be honest. I'll just be limited to SH/SC here — we've got aging megathreads going on here, but it's still the nerd forum on a website full of other nerds and all we care about are computers and computers things, seriously and non-seriously.

There's shitloads of (new) Discords / Slacks popping up but I'll admit I hate chat programs replacing forums right now — don't think they're the same thing and allow the same level of quality shitposting!

All I'd ask is that we sit tight here and see what happens wrt Lowtax and forum administration here, and not immediately flee to off-site areas (at least not for long-term).

movax fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 24, 2020

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Actually, talking with CLAM DOWN, we're gonna sticky this and open up this one for talking about the current situation.

Never actually really met LT, don't work for him — this is a neat community that has some high (and low, but we love it anyways) quality posting where we talk about computers and nerd poo poo without being complete idiots or fanboys about it. That's something that we'd like to preserve / worth preserving.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

movax posted:

I don't know much more about what's going on (wake up, WHAT THE gently caress!) than you guys to be honest. I'll just be limited to SH/SC here — we've got aging megathreads going on here, but it's still the nerd forum on a website full of other nerds and all we care about are computers and computers things, seriously and non-seriously.

There's shitloads of (new) Discords / Slacks popping up but I'll admit I hate chat programs replacing forums right now — don't think they're the same thing and allow the same level of quality shitposting!

All I'd ask is that we sit tight here and see what happens wrt Lowtax and forum administration here, and not immediately flee to off-site areas (at least not for long-term).
Discord is being seen by most of us a stopgap until a new forum can be set up, in case Lowtax pulls the plug.

Ideally, he would just hand over the keys to the current forum modmin regime, but that seems naively optimistic, to say the least.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Discord is being seen by most of us a stopgap until a new forum can be set up, in case Lowtax pulls the plug.

Ideally, he would just hand over the keys to the current forum modmin regime, but that seems naively optimistic, to say the least.

I think that's the right idea to have — I know the admins are working on some stuff, but I don't think these suddenly going HTTP 404 is going to happen. Looking at people's User CPs, that's one of the greatest strengths of this place and Balkanizing this place really just loving SUCKS.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Thanatosian posted:

Some of the bigger forums such as c-spam and games seem to be mass migrating to BreadnRoses.net:

WampaLord posted:

Anyone who wants an invite, just go to https://breadnroses.net/ and register, I will approve, let me know the username you select if it is different.

Also be patient if it takes a little bit, there is a queue I am getting through as quickly as I can.

WampaLord posted:

:siren: YOU DO NOT NEED AN INVITE :siren:

Just go to https://breadnroses.net/ and register

Even if the idea of switching to another site turns your stomach, might be worth reserving your username.

Edit:

WampaLord posted:

Yes, please stop posting that you registered, we are aware and are working through the queue.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 24, 2020

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Rastor posted:

Some of the bigger forums such as c-spam and games seem to be mass migrating to BreadnRoses.net:

Even if the idea of switching to another site turns your stomach, might be worth reserving your username.

Honestly actually the first I've heard of that — I'd suggest if anyone feel's strongly about trying to get somewhere offsite and vent about stuff that a Discord or Slack might be a better choice before dropping $10 on a new forum.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

movax posted:

Honestly actually the first I've heard of that — I'd suggest if anyone feel's strongly about trying to get somewhere offsite and vent about stuff that a Discord or Slack might be a better choice before dropping $10 on a new forum.

Sorry if it wasn't clear: BreadnRoses copied the :10bux: paywall but Wampalord is currently approving registrations for free

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Did they always have a paywall? I swear when I signed up earlier this year they didn't

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Did they always have a paywall? I swear when I signed up earlier this year they didn't

Yeah, if it was very early in the year the paywall may have not been up yet.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

B&R is a good and cool forum using modern tech. They even enforce 2FA!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Thanks for posting both Bread and Roses and the Slack. I hope we can keep this excellent community mostly intact.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What's the procedure for registering on BnR? Do you just wait and eventually WampaLord realises that you've signed up?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

What's the procedure for registering on BnR? Do you just wait and eventually WampaLord realises that you've signed up?

Seems so, I registered just to grab my name without telling anyone and now I have full access.

ty wampalord or whoever it was

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

That's basically it. If you don't get noticed, post what username you used in either the c-spam thread or in the games thread

Edit:

WampaLord posted:

Yes, please stop posting that you registered, we are aware and are working through the queue.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 24, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

quote:

Do not advocate for obvious bad poo poo like landlords/cops/capitalism/etc. This is a leftist space.

Some spaces ask for Content/Trigger warnings on certain content. Those places will have it clearly spelled out in the OP of the threads.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I just registered on B+R, awaiting WampaLord (or whomever is in charge of the system) to approve me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh cool it worked, took about an hour

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Just for record, folks are welcome to register wherever they wish, but SH/SC and any other SA Forum are not moving to BnR or any other destination.

There are general plans in motion from the admin side, but don't know specifics and can share when I know. Sit tight and post about ARMbook Pros, or if you don't want to post, feel free to hang out in the Slack linked above.

movax fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 24, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

B&R are the crew who started shouting about how the modmin team 'lost the moral authority' to moderate when the PPJ stuff blew up and started demanding the entire mod team hand power over to them. And who's efforts to get some people on the mod team were scuttled when their candidates (including Wampalord iirc, but it's been a minute) were found (and subsequently admitted) to be planning to leak the mod forum in a secret discord.

Now I'm not saying you should stay here, though my money is still on Lowtax nuking the forums when the patreon dries up, but B&R strikes me as one of those places that's going to tear itself apart in a big ball of internet drama sooner rather than later.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

That is kind of the typical trajectory of offsites (or just fizzling out) but BnR has been running for 6 months now and stayed chill

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I intend to post here until it goes away, mainly using Slack/Discord to be able to hear about the next steps if that's needed

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Not exactly excited to try to carry any reputation over to another site but any goon-goon transaction reputation from the trading / deals forums should also be considered. I swear I’ve sold something to at leans 20-something odd goons over the years and I’d like to keep a reputation of not being a horrible scammer elsewhere.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

Not exactly excited to try to carry any reputation over to another site but any goon-goon transaction reputation from the trading / deals forums should also be considered. I swear I’ve sold something to at leans 20-something odd goons over the years and I’d like to keep a reputation of not being a horrible scammer elsewhere.

Did you ever use something like heat.net?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Did you ever use something like heat.net?

Yeah, was gonna suggest HeatWare (is that what it moved too?) — that's what I used to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I did but I’ve been too lazy to update it properly. Also, wasn’t sure how long that site would live either. Obviously SA is a lot smaller than the HardForums but I have my allegiances.