Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

That's so petty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
feeling glad i dropped off xmen so fast, theres no way im following all of this

https://twitter.com/cracksh0t/status/1272929762391048193?s=20

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

site posted:

feeling glad i dropped off xmen so fast, theres no way im following all of this

https://twitter.com/cracksh0t/status/1272929762391048193?s=20

I am a big freak for X-men and Jonathan Hickman generally, but I am about done with half of them and this isn't helping. Marvel gonna Marvel though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1272956331377537025?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I'm behind on Immortal Hulk, I know she showed up early when the Avengers took him down and gave him to the guy who vivisected him, but has Jennifer Walters shown up since?

It's being written by Al Ewing, so it'll probably be great.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah this sounds like a continuation of what Ewing’s been doing and I’m not getting off this ride.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am a big freak for X-men and Jonathan Hickman generally, but I am about done with half of them and this isn't helping. Marvel gonna Marvel though.

I'm already getting all those books except X-Factor, simply because it's not out yet, though Cable and Hellions have only had1 issue each, so maybe they'll turn into crap.

Hickman and Tini Howard are the main writers for the event, so I bet just their books are absolutely essential for the event, (X-Men, New Mutants, Excalibur).

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m all about that event. The X books are really the only reason I buy monthlies anymore.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’m all about that event. The X books are really the only reason I buy monthlies anymore.

Funny, because events like that are part of the reason I like Unlimited so much. A flat rate means an event that's a bazillion issues doesn't matter to me and a lot of them are organized in the app so you can go to the next issue right away even when it switches titles.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Hellions #1 was extremely good. Excalibur isn't, so I wonder how Tini Howard is going to do with it. She has way more misses than hits, but at least her Marvel work has been fun.

I mean, I am probably going to read it all regardless of what I think because of course.

E: if they stick to one x-book a week like house and powers I would be so down.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the new marvel action: captain marvel co-stars nadia and the agents of girl, so i must declare it good and cool

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lobok posted:

Funny, because events like that are part of the reason I like Unlimited so much. A flat rate means an event that's a bazillion issues doesn't matter to me and a lot of them are organized in the app so you can go to the next issue right away even when it switches titles.

That's good to know as I read through Claremont's X-Men.

I'm sure it's good to read on Unlimited, but I have a HoX/PoX themed box that I'm keeping all these X books in. I'm a big fan of having a massive run (with tie ins and crossovers) in one box. I have a Bendis Avengers box and a Geoff Johns Green Lantern box that I sometimes go through just to look at the covers, and kind of relive the memories of reading those sagas that went on for years.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Angry Salami posted:

Spider-Man thinks he's incredibly witty, throwing out wisecracks through his fights. His enemies just hear a guy mumbling all the time.

It's canon that Spidey's mask makes his voice unrecognizable as Peter Parker's, and the possibility that it's because it's incomprehensible remains.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Happy Hippo posted:

edit; I know he cut short several storylines or just abandoned them outright (Beyonder is a mutant Inhuman! Hawkeye is a figment of Wanda's mind and is still dead!) during his Avengers run, but I never read his X-Men or GotG. Did he do similar stuff there?
For the most part, I don't remember that being a huge problem, unless you count him bringing the teen X-Men to the present as something that he personally should've resolved.

There were small handfuls of things that were never followed up on, like a whole big mystery about what exactly happened to Tempus -- a character he created -- that changed her personality so much when she spent a stint time-traveling. But ultimately that didn't, like, break the book or anything.

To me a bigger problem with his X-Men stories is that pretty much everything left you with a sense of "Wait, that's it? What was the point of all that then?" when they were done. Like there were these huge sprawling dense-rear end manifold crossovers about time-traveling disasters that literally ended with all the characters going "Eh whatever, I'm tired let's just go home," or there were series-long intrigues about some secret mastermind pitting X-Men against SHIELD against other X-Men in some sort of epic shadow war and then that mastermind would turn out to be some random character that hadn't been seen up to that point. The entire premise of Cyclops' glorious revolution (which he was right about :colbert:) ended on a flaccid whimper for him to just decide that his head was probably not in the right place all this time and then send all the recruits that he had gathered to the X-Mansion anyway. Cool, glad we spent all this time and money following along with your little gang and rooting for the entire premise of the book, I guess.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Cyclops had a dope costume at the time, so that was cool.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There is a delightful Volstagg the Voluminous moment in the new issue of Valkyrie.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

BrianWilly posted:

For the most part, I don't remember that being a huge problem, unless you count him bringing the teen X-Men to the present as something that he personally should've resolved.

There were small handfuls of things that were never followed up on, like a whole big mystery about what exactly happened to Tempus -- a character he created -- that changed her personality so much when she spent a stint time-traveling. But ultimately that didn't, like, break the book or anything.

There was a two issue Uncanny/All-New crossover that story that completed that story

A more bothersome thing was his final issues of the main books kind of poisoned the well on Eva's character to the point she was just not really usable by anyone until Hickman finally brought her back.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

There is a delightful Volstagg the Voluminous moment in the new issue of Valkyrie.

Is that the issue I can't actually get a physical copy of?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Is that the issue I can't actually get a physical copy of?

:unsmith:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Apologies if this is a repeat, but G. Willow Wilson has a new short story featuring Kamala on Marvel's website:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/culture-lifestyle/marvel-tales-a-new-ms-marvel-story-by-g-willow-wilson

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Vulpes, I really appreciate that you gave Black Cat and Black Fox, two master thieves, the watch-grappling-hook from Lupin III.
edit:

They forgot the ring

Vincent fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 19, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Oliver Coipel's variant cover for The Rise Of Ultraman..

Also incoming:

Cover by ALEX ROSS (posted across internet)
VARIANT COVER BY ED MCGUINNESS (posted across internet)
VARIANT COVER BY ADI GRANOV
SPIDER-MAN VARIANT BY OLIVIER COIPEL (here)
VARIANT COVER BY YUJI KAIDA
VARIANT COVER BY SKOTTIE YOUNG
ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVER BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 19, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I would recommend Truth: red, white, and black, and roxane gays works of wakanda, but i find it extremely amusing that walkers nighthawk isn't included

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1271127408192741376?s=19

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Here's the Adi Granov cover I mentioned earlier..

I can already guess the Skottie Young one is gonna be some super deformed caricature.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Man, that was some kind of bullshit "ending" for this iteration Ghost Spider.

radlum
May 13, 2013

site posted:

I would recommend Truth: red, white, and black, and roxane gays works of wakanda, but i find it extremely amusing that walkers nighthawk isn't included

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1271127408192741376?s=19

Yeah; I thought it was a great comic, though you can tell it had a rushed ending. To see it recommended by many people on Twitter but not on this list of free comics is very telling.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

Man, that was some kind of bullshit "ending" for this iteration Ghost Spider.

Yeah.

Honestly, it's pretty clear Editorial want to shove Gwen into 616 and this was just to facilitate that. It's a drat shame.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i dont know if its possible to link webtoon panels directly so ill just drop a link but i thought this was pretty funny

https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/but-what-if-though/gamma-juice/viewer?title_no=359296&episode_no=6

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I have a question: what kind of age range are the marvel Oz books aimed at? I started the first bit of the first series, and I like the art. I wonder of these would be ok to read with my daughter, or if they're too much for a 3yo? We're reading Bone together right now, and she's enjoying it. A lot goes over her head, but the physical comedy bits crack her right up.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

B33rChiller posted:

I have a question: what kind of age range are the marvel Oz books aimed at? I started the first bit of the first series, and I like the art. I wonder of these would be ok to read with my daughter, or if they're too much for a 3yo? We're reading Bone together right now, and she's enjoying it. A lot goes over her head, but the physical comedy bits crack her right up.

I would say go for it. If she can handle the lovecraftian horror Bone she is ready for Oz . Seriously, the Skottie Young Oz books are a delight for everyone.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
So good to have Immortal Hulk back! Mostly a place-setting episode, but as someone with little knowledge of past runs it was nice to get some history on the Leader.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Kieron Gillen is down to write Warhammer 40,000: Marneus Calgar for Marvel.

Positioned as an entry point for people new to the universe apparently. Think they could have done a better job on the front cover but it does stand out I guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is that Jacen Burroughs? The Avatar dude?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Milotic posted:

Kieron Gillen is down to write Warhammer 40,000: Marneus Calgar for Marvel.

Positioned as an entry point for people new to the universe apparently. Think they could have done a better job on the front cover but it does stand out I guess.

So I don't know that much about 40k, but like the humans in that are super fascist right? The Orcs can literally believe things into existence? I wonder if Gillen is going to take a Starship Troopers slant on the book.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Jiro posted:

So I don't know that much about 40k, but like the humans in that are super fascist right? The Orcs can literally believe things into existence? I wonder if Gillen is going to take a Starship Troopers slant on the book.

Yes and no in that order, and he probably has some restrictions on him from GW.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Rhyno posted:

Is that Jacen Burroughs? The Avatar dude?

Yes it is.

Jiro posted:

Yes, it’s a theological fascist nightmare. Orks have a gestalt aura that seems to make technology that can’t possibly work, work. GW do do more overt satire / played for laughs stuff (see https://regimental-standard.com/ ) but this is aimed at people newer to the setting, so they’re probably not going to do that. It’ll likely be played fairly straight, especially as it’s Ultramarines. Calgar is definitely a much more nuanced character these days. His Primarch, who is his gene-sire and one of 18 Demi-Gods that bestrode the galaxy before tearing it in two in a bloody civil war, is back on the scene, and he’s been usurped and feeling unsure of his place.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
that's a lot smaller than the original checklist

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Barry Convex posted:

that's a lot smaller than the original checklist

Kind of illustrates how pointless a lot of event tie-ins are, doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Call me an old rear end in a top hat but that's still too much.

Just give me a good loving story with one or two essential tie-ins.