Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I'll take a PM in the event this place goes under.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Sounds good to me, send me a PM and I'll add it to my growing Discord list.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
I would happily join another discord to lurk in, send me a PM!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Electric Phantasm posted:

Count me in too, although I don't have PMs.

I can't contact you if you don't have PMs enabled!! Do you have a Discord id I can use?

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I kind of dislike Discord and tend to lurk this thread anyway, but gently caress it, send me an invite anyway. If poo poo goes down I'd rather not have to go post on /co/ about my dumb cartoons.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'll take a PM. I'm happy to lurk another discord.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Is this for the Goon Animation Talk one, or a completely different one? Sign me up if it’s another.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd be down for something. I don't got PMs, but my discord name is the same as my SA one.

Melvitty
Oct 13, 2005

All the ponies in this town
are
CRAZY!
May I please get a PM as well?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

paradoxGentleman posted:

I can't contact you if you don't have PMs enabled!! Do you have a Discord id I can use?

Is this it? Still trying to figure out Discord.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I barely use discord but gently caress it, hit me with one

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I mostly lurk here, but maybe I'll want to talk about Amphibia's second season. I would take a PM.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

Is this for the Goon Animation Talk one, or a completely different one? Sign me up if it’s another.

It's that one.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is this it? Still trying to figure out Discord.

It is not, unless you have a very unusual nick there. It's a combination of your nick there and a number. For example, mine is PXG#0373

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'd be down for something. I don't got PMs, but my discord name is the same as my SA one.

I'm going to need the number as well!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

paradoxGentleman posted:

It is not, unless you have a very unusual nick there. It's a combination of your nick there and a number. For example, mine is PXG#0373

Oh God I feel so dumb I copied my User ID

Hopefully I get right right this time: mossy#7997

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

paradoxGentleman posted:

Hey folks! Me and some others are organizing a discord for animation fans away from SA, given the lowtax situation. Ask here or send me a PM if you want in.

Give me an excuse to get out of here.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Alright, gonna friend you two and send you the invite from there. I go by PXG on Discord.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Sure send me an invite too

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I would like a discord invite please

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

I would like an invite as well.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i'd like a invite too please :)

mr interweb#0589

this is my first time using discord, is the above info the right one?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
My record of being active on public discords isn't great but sure. :) ID is Myco#9456

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

i'd like a invite too please :)

mr interweb#0589

this is my first time using discord, is the above info the right one?

Indeed it is. I sent you and mycot a friend request, because I can't message you if we aren't friends or we don't share a channel. I'll send you an invite, then you can defriend me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-kids-channels-shutter-uk-content-moving-disney-1300369

Disney Channel, Disney Junior, and Disney XD will shut down in the UK in favor of Disney+ only starting Oct 1st.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-kids-channels-shutter-uk-content-moving-disney-1300369

Disney Channel, Disney Junior, and Disney XD will shut down in the UK in favor of Disney+ only starting Oct 1st.

Has there been any public uproar about this? In the US, usually those channels are part of a package so I’d be upset if these channels were taken away and I had to pay for an additional service in Disney+.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 25, 2020

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

Has there been any public uproar about this? In the US, usually those channels are part of a package so I’d be upset if these channels were taken away and I had to pay for an additional service in Disney+.

https://twitter.com/animated_antic/status/1276230422993625089

Looks like a bunch of reaction GIFs and "end of an era" posts.

So...no one seems to care, it looks like.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

edit: nm

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 1, 2020

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
the new Adventure Time special on HBO Max is good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s extremely good yeah. Loved the ending and “Mr. M” making an appearance

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was never really sure what the business model of the Disney Channel was supposed to be. It didn't generate any ad revenue, I only ever understood it as providing some kind of advertisement for Disney as a brand.

And now, Disney's a bit too much of an umbrella corporation to really be a brand in itself, and I guess they've already vertically integrated in other ways, so why not be proprietary about it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was never really sure what the business model of the Disney Channel was supposed to be. It didn't generate any ad revenue, I only ever understood it as providing some kind of advertisement for Disney as a brand.

And now, Disney's a bit too much of an umbrella corporation to really be a brand in itself, and I guess they've already vertically integrated in other ways, so why not be proprietary about it.

I'm not entirely familiar with how cable packages work but wouldn't they also have received a share of the profits from the monthly/annual fees customers pay to use the cable service?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was never really sure what the business model of the Disney Channel was supposed to be.
Until the mid 90s, Disney Channel in the US was a premium add-on service like HBO that had a monthly fee and no commercials beyond it's own programming (which in itself was a commercial for the Disney brand in a very real sense.) Through the first half of the decade, carriers slowly adopted it as a non-premium channel; I remember it was a big deal to get it for "free" on DirecTV in my town.

In 1996, Disney merged Capital Cities/ABC which owned ESPN and had a huge success in getting ESPN2 off the ground. So it's no surprise that when Disney Channel went to a traditional ad-supported model, they quickly created spinoff channel Toon Disney and then Disney Junior and demanded carriers include these to get the original channel. This was the ESPN model that has slowly killed cable.

I'd guess it just isn't worth running in the UK since so many people can get the kind of channels we have pay for here (channels with 24 hour news, channels with uncensored movies, channels with music videos, channels with all kids content, etc) with their free over-the-air receiver. Brits like to bitch about the license fee to watch Freeview but in America that much content is $70 a month.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 26, 2020

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69mRfu8Bp-Y

I have no idea where to post this. This...is insane.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Okay, that is certainly a thing.
(Watch first) So Kanye West is voicing a cartoon bear which seems to have a sealed mouth and is only mumbling?
The background audio was kinda boring and subdued. They could have come up with something better.

Honestly, this sounds like some vanity project based on some idiot kid sketches he made at some early point of his live.

Quite a pretty shot at 1:17, though.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 26, 2020

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
The director is a Japanese artist, notable for "The Lonesome Cowboy".

Wikipedia posted:

In May 2008, My Lonesome Cowboy (1998), an anime-inspired sculpture of a masturbating boy whose semen stream forms a lasso, sold for $15.2 million at Sotheby's.

So think weird art thing instead of Adult Swim-type weirdness, even if it's completely interchangeable.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

So Kanye West is voicing a cartoon bear which seems to have a sealed mouth and is only mumbling?

Dropout Bear is kind of Kanye's...fursona of sorta? I really don't know how else to describe it. He has a suit of him. He LOVES teddy bears. I think his mother started him on that. He was really close with her so it's expected.

The mouthless thing is probably due to his first album where he had his jaw wired shut due to a car accident so he did his entire first album like that.

It's all still very weird.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I still can't get over how they got Boulet to do visual development stuff for the first Distant Lands special
https://twitter.com/MrMuto/status/1276176289422913536?s=20

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I've been watching Kipo and it's very good! I have no idea how this show looks so much better than She-Ra when they seem to have come out of the same dreamworks/Netflix partnership. Did they manage to get a higher animation budget for Kipo or something? Or is it all in the storyboarding and directing?

I do wish it had less episodes where the entire conflict/challenge comes from one of the heroes doing something stupid though. Not my favourite kind of storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Red Bones posted:

I've been watching Kipo and it's very good! I have no idea how this show looks so much better than She-Ra when they seem to have come out of the same dreamworks/Netflix partnership. Did they manage to get a higher animation budget for Kipo or something? Or is it all in the storyboarding and directing?

I do wish it had less episodes where the entire conflict/challenge comes from one of the heroes doing something stupid though. Not my favourite kind of storytelling.

Kipo is animated at Studio Mir (a top of the line korean studio that animated Korra and also did some work on The Boondocks), while She-Ra was animated at a more standard korean studio (NE4U)