Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Don't forget when Worf briefly joins a terrorist group to sabotage a planet's weather system after getting mad that jadzia is still friends with one of her exes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

spankmeister posted:

Worf is dumb as hell and his adherence to Klingon honor and whatnot has ruined his entire house. Idk how big a Klingon house is but worf ruined the lives of idk dozens of people just so he could do the honorable thing without ever even consulting them or taking them into consideration at all.

Are you saying Worf should have sat idle for the sake of keeping his money and power while Gowron prosecuted his war on Cardassia and threw the Federation Alliance in the garbage? He did the equivalent of resigning from Trump's Cabinet when Trump did a lovely thing, should that not be praised?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Worf loving rules. The vacation episode was great and added a lot of context to his behavior and how he went the super disciplined honor root after accidentally killing that kid as a teenager. I think Odo's conversation with him about the tightness with which a starship needs to be run vs. a space station with active commerce and all kinds of folks passing through wasn't necessarily as helpful as it seemed on the surface because after that Worf is very cut loose attitude wise. Think of how much he's the paranoid vigilant one before then and in TNG vs. all the poo poo he pulls afterwards. Also he's a huge badass and not only is he powerful enough to find and secure THE SWORD OF KAHLESS, he does what no one was in the episode was powerful enough to do by casting it away. Plus he stone cold murdered Gowron and it wasn't even the first time he clowned him in a fight in DS9.

I liked the mult-part where him+some folks get captured by the Dominion and he just cold beats the poo poo out of Jem'Hadar for like a day or two straight with no rest.

Angepain posted:

Don't forget when Worf briefly joins a terrorist group to sabotage a planet's weather system after getting mad that jadzia is still friends with one of her exes

This fuckin' ruled and is made even better by how he treats Ezri lmao Worf you rear end in a top hat :perfect:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I believe at one point when they were developing the last Tony Todd/Worf's brother episode they were going to actually film some brief stuff in Sto-vo-kor but didn't have the budget. :( Let us glimpse the Klingon realm of the dead dammit.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nebakenezzer posted:

He is, shoulda been a regular cast member. Though "Hey, erase my brother's identity so he doesn't kill himself" is a little hosed up

I think it's a shame we only got like ten minutes of Kurn owning the TNG crew. That should have been a whole fuckin' episode by itself.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They should have made a Captain Worf show like they were talking about a few years ago instead of Picard.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Neo Rasa posted:

Worf loving rules. The vacation episode was great and added a lot of context to his behavior and how he went the super disciplined honor root after accidentally killing that kid as a teenager. I think Odo's conversation with him about the tightness with which a starship needs to be run vs. a space station with active commerce and all kinds of folks passing through wasn't necessarily as helpful as it seemed on the surface because after that Worf is very cut loose attitude wise. Think of how much he's the paranoid vigilant one before then and in TNG vs. all the poo poo he pulls afterwards. Also he's a huge badass and not only is he powerful enough to find and secure THE SWORD OF KAHLESS, he does what no one was in the episode was powerful enough to do by casting it away. Plus he stone cold murdered Gowron and it wasn't even the first time he clowned him in a fight in DS9.

I liked the mult-part where him+some folks get captured by the Dominion and he just cold beats the poo poo out of Jem'Hadar for like a day or two straight with no rest.

This fuckin' ruled and is made even better by how he treats Ezri lmao Worf you rear end in a top hat :perfect:

he loses the last fight so badly the vorta in charge of the prison executes the first for beating up a child

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Verviticus posted:

he loses the last fight so badly the vorta in charge of the prison executes the first for beating up a child

History is written by the winners:

Memory Alpha posted:

During this time, to distract the Jem'Hadar guards, Worf entered into combat with each of the Jem'Hadar guards in turn, earning the respect and admiration of General Martok in the process, even winning the respect of Jem'Hadar First Ikat'ika, who yielded their final fate when he recognized that Worf's refusal to surrender meant that killing Worf would not be a victory.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Oh yeah, forgot about that, that was extremely badass

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda funny that Worf gets to gently caress up a lot but also be badass as contractually obligated

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda funny that Worf gets to gently caress up a lot but also be badass as contractually obligated

It kind of bleeds through the fiction barrier that it's contractually obligated and thus becomes substantially more comical and lame.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tulip posted:

It kind of bleeds through the fiction barrier that it's contractually obligated and thus becomes substantially more comical and lame.

I actually thought it was a good thing; he gets to be badass and do cool stuff but also make mistakes and have to make hard decisions- the whole point of the thing with Kurn is that they were at a total cultural impasse and had to take a third option because neither solution was acceptable (and arguably, it's giving a depressed, homeless and suicidal person a treatment that will allow them to get on with their life) and the mission with Jadzia is an absolutely understandable position for someone who's very protective of his family, and Sisko admits that it was a bad choice to send a married couple on such a crucial mission. He also just generally really fits into DS9 as someone caught between the pointy ends of two very different cultures.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

worf is basically living in a heavily armed space van and the surrounding docking ring probably reeks of space weed and blood wine, the vibrations from his loud klingon opera constantly knocking sensors out of allignment and screwing up the holodecks

also that first scene where he's ordering prune juice at quarks is :vince:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Don't come a'knockin if the Defiant's a'rockin

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i like that when jadzia/worf started the writers basically went finally, we can talk about fuckin and took every chance they could to imply that they gently caress and also beat the poo poo out of each other every chance they get

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Neo Rasa posted:

I honestly thought Odo's conversation with Worf wasn't even mean-spirited; he wasn't implying the Enterprise's own issues were because Worf sucked, he was noting if it was that hard to keep the Federation flagship safe imagine what the station is like. Don't know that Worf really "cut loose" so much as accepted he couldn't get by with his prior attitude, which had the appropriate good and bad consequences for him (he wouldn't have gotten married if he hadn't relaxed that way for one). Though for great Worf antics, I also had to love it when he finally gave Weyoun the appropriate punishment for his smarmy fascism for several seasons by snapping his neck on-screen (also the follow-up scene with Damar is one of the funniest I can remember on the show ("Maybe you should go talk to Worf again!")).

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

it wasnt mean spirited but he definitely enjoyed himself

the connection between damar and weyoun is fantastic. weyoun is fantastic. what an amazing villain, easily the best of any star trek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rACCZaBcq1g

this entire scene is absolutely fantastic

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 24, 2020

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jeffrey Combs owns and he kills it in all the roles he plays. He also plays liquidator Brunt and that rich pervert who wants to gently caress Kira in the holosuite. He also plays Shran, the andorian commander in Enterprise real well.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

does 'you are cordially invited' count as an obrien must suffer episode

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Verviticus posted:

does 'you are cordially invited' count as an obrien must suffer episode

O'Brien's own wedding episode counts

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

McSpanky posted:

O'Brien's own wedding episode counts

haha

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Is Jadzia Dax in Stovokor, rotting in some kind of kilingon hell, contained in the dax symbiote, or trapped in some sort of brutal limbo between all three and the trill afterworld?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

FunkyAl posted:

Is Jadzia Dax in Stovokor, rotting in some kind of kilingon hell, contained in the dax symbiote, or trapped in some sort of brutal limbo between all three and the trill afterworld?

"I'm an engineer, not a philosopher." -- Miles Edward O'Brien

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Always thought of a joke where Quark is worried about being trapped in the Vault of Eternal Destitution and a Klingon says not to worry, they'll round up some buddies from Stovokor and bust them out.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
star trek afterlife is a big party and, im told, kirk and spock are kissing there

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Always thought of a joke where Quark is worried about being trapped in the Vault of Eternal Destitution and a Klingon says not to worry, they'll round up some buddies from Stovokor and bust them out.

Hijack the Barge of the Dead and sail that mother strait down the Great Material Continuum!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sanguinia posted:

Hijack the Barge of the Dead and sail that mother strait down the Great Material Continuum!

These are the voyages of the Barge of the Dead. Our eternal mission: to seek out new afterlives of new civilisations. To boldly go where no ghost has gone before.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

These are the voyages of the Barge of the Dead. Our eternal mission: to seek out new afterlives of new civilisations. To boldly go where no ghost has gone before.

Danny Phantom: The Next Generation

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sanguinia posted:

Space Ghost: The Next Generation

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FunkyAl posted:

In Shadows and Symbols, DS9 7x02, Martok and Worf go on a mission to destroy a Dominion shipyard. It succeeds, thus ensuring Jadzia's passage into Sto'Vo'Kor.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

yah but its gotta just be jadzia cause dax is clearly still hanging around

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's just jadzia just like in the mirror universe

Was it ever mentioned if hosts keep the symbiont's memories after it has been removed?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

spankmeister posted:

It's just jadzia just like in the mirror universe

Was it ever mentioned if hosts keep the symbiont's memories after it has been removed?

That Joe McAverage guy who stole Dax in S1 (?) said no and looked p.gutted by the experience.

E: It was Season 2 Episode 4 (Netflix reckoning, I DGAF if the actual air-dates were different.)

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 11, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

that would be really confusing for jadzia when she was on her deathbed cause she'd basically be a totally different person immediately before croaking

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Kira looked way better with she old (occupation-era) hair, and she was :3: af as a Cardie.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

rewatched improbable cause/the die is cast and i cant believe i never got/appreciated garak ridiculing caesar for being backstabbed by his friend only to watch his mentor/father have the exact same thing happen to him

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's really interesting how Garak is one of the recurring lizard-brain Cardassians and a ruthless, amoral spymaster, but almost all of his episodes and main arcs are specifically about his emotional vulnerability. Feels like it brings home the theme that Cardassians are people like anyone else, and their society doesn't value the care a person needs to function properly, while ironically the Federation and Bajoran crew are the ones who care about Garak's wellbeing and intervene when he's having a breakdown.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I watched the episode of Voyager where The Doctor introduces music to an advanced society which has none, and folks, how the gently caress did that happen. It doesn't make a lick of loving sense.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

FunkyAl posted:

I watched the episode of Voyager where The Doctor introduces music to an advanced society which has none, and folks, how the gently caress did that happen. It doesn't make a lick of loving sense.

Similarly, it always irked me slightly that the Vorta are described as having no aesthetic sense, and I'm sure that's impossible for an intelligent being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah other weird pop-psychology stuff is how when they replaced Bareil's brain with a "positronic matrix", he had all his memories, but lost the "spark of life". That set up a weird dichotomy whereby organic beings had special spiritual properties which androids and the like couldn't have.

This even propagates to games that are heavily influenced by DS9 (like Stellaris), where spiritualists automatically hate robots, and robots can't get psionics, because *reasons*.