Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

Nope, my affiliate hung up on me when I asked.

Probably shouldn't have said you were from the somethingawful forums. Have you heard the news about that place lately??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

swickles posted:

I hope this was you
https://twitter.com/tannerkahler/status/1275977030090272768

e: he says it's airing on all the Hearst stations across the country. gently caress them.

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 25, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

You can't, ABC delays shows a week. At least they did last time I checked and said "gently caress that." It's released right after the next episode ends, so there's no window to catch up.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Bruceski posted:

You can't, ABC delays shows a week. At least they did last time I checked and said "gently caress that." It's released right after the next episode ends, so there's no window to catch up.

the current ep is ending in 20 minutes, but last week's ep is on their website. maybe it's different for each show

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What is the Soledad O Brien program about anyways? I thought she didn’t have a connection to ABC.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I used to work for a Hearst subsidiary they are a bunch of bastards

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

TV Zombie posted:

What is the Soledad O Brien program about anyways? I thought she didn’t have a connection to ABC.

covid

you know, the thing that's been talked about to death on news specials just like this one

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

the current ep is ending in 20 minutes, but last week's ep is on their website. maybe it's different for each show

With a large lock on it and requests a cable login when clicked. Maybe they do it by time zone, I'm over on the west coast.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Just want to reiterate that I love all y'all <3

bb <3

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Crusty Nutsack posted:

covid

you know, the thing that's been talked about to death on news specials just like this one

Could have been about BLM.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

TV Zombie posted:

Could have been about BLM.

oh I didn't mean to convey annoyance with you! I wish it was about BLM. I was annoyed it was yet another special on covid. my bad!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think we probably need more talking about covid because WE'RE BEING loving STUPID ABOUT IT AND PRETENDING ITS GOING AWAY!

Sorry.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ4FrgGILM8

:eyepop:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Rhyno posted:

It wasn't nearly as bad as people claim it was. The Angelus arc was a ton of fun and they redeemed Faith.

Angelus has never worked outside of his introduction in Buffy. He requires all other characters to suddenly become incredible dumb.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oasx posted:

Angelus has never worked outside of his introduction in Buffy. He requires all other characters to suddenly become incredible dumb.

There's nothing they can really DO with Angelus except watch the clock until he inevitably gets turned back into Angel and mopes over whatever he did as Angelus for a few episodes more.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

swickles posted:

just FYI the episode is up on abc's website at least: https://abc.com/shows/marvels-agents-of-shield

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Thanks, I watched it this morning. Just sucks because its the only thing I live watch anymore, and do so with a couple friends online because of yhe pandemic and I was like the only one who missed out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1276200898604212226

I've never seen Lincoln but that is a murderer's row of character actors.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1276200898604212226

I've never seen Lincoln but that is a murderer's row of character actors.

I can't find it on YouTube, but I also loved the scene where Lincoln is going to lie to Congress about the Confederacy not sending a peace envoy (he's been delaying them), and the person he's given the letter to give to Congress is like "But sir, :decorum: impeachable lying scandalous" and Lincoln just slowly takes the guy's hand and looks him in the eye and takes the letter and hands it to the shitbag next to him who's totally happy to lie to Congress and takes off running.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Buffy the Vampire Slayer seemed like it had a few moments where the supernatural metaphor concept really broke down like in the second season when Angelus did things that seemed forgivable in the context of forced magical transformation but unforgivable as a metaphor for domestic violence and abuse

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the Buffy mythos has some confused ideas about how much agency someone has when they're under magical influence or "have no soul". Like it doesn't let a lot of people off without some guilt but its all over the place on what exactly a "soul" does. Angel and Angelus are two completely different people and Spike is just Spike. And there's a ton of abuse metaphor in there so its real sketchy at times.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Today is Doom Patrol S2 day!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Caught another subtitle mismatch on Prime, this one on 30 Rock.

Voice:
"Worse than the time we let Tracy do that tribute to August Wilson?"
"That was my fault, I should have made sure he knew who August Wilson was."
"Maybe we'll be pre-empted by some national news event. How's Gerald Ford's health?"

Sub:
"Worse than the time we did that Gilbert and Sullivan parody."
"Maybe we'll be pre-empted by some national news event. It's still hurricane season, right?"

Googling tells me this aired a month before Gerald Ford died so they replaced the joke with the hurricane thing on DVD, so at least there's an explanation for this one.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, the Buffy mythos has some confused ideas about how much agency someone has when they're under magical influence or "have no soul". Like it doesn't let a lot of people off without some guilt but its all over the place on what exactly a "soul" does. Angel and Angelus are two completely different people and Spike is just Spike. And there's a ton of abuse metaphor in there so its real sketchy at times.

And then there was the "magic=drugs" metaphor that stopped being a metaphor when Willow started physically jonesing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TheAardvark posted:

Caught another subtitle mismatch on Prime, this one on 30 Rock.

Voice:
"That was my fault, I should have made sure he knew who August Wilson was."
"Maybe we'll be pre-empted by some national news event. How's Gerald Ford's health?"

Sub:
"Worse than the time we did that Gilbert and Sullivan parody."
"Maybe we'll be pre-empted by some national news event. It's still hurricane season, right?"

Googling tells me this aired a month before Gerald Ford died so they replaced the joke with the hurricane thing on DVD, so at least there's an explanation for this one.

Torn to pieces by ravenous wolves, RIP

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
All supernatural metaphors break down as one-to-one allegory for real life issues if you examine them too closely because it turns out magic isn't real.

Even the OG Aesop's fables is vulnerable to this, the lesson of the tortoise and the hare should be 'don't take a nap in the middle of a race, you dipshit'.

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 25, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

isaboo posted:

Today is Doom Patrol S2 day!

Brendan Fraser is a national treasure in that

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

Brendan Fraser is a national treasure in that

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Catfishenfuego posted:

All supernatural metaphors break down as one-to-one allegory for real life issues if you examine them too closely because it turns out magic isn't real.

Even the OG Aesop's fables is vulnerable to this, the lesson of the tortoise and the hare should be 'don't take a nap in the middle of a race, you dipshit'.

Wait, that isn't the lesson?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“Slow and steady wins the race” is such a dumb phrase because it assumes that the fast person is going to take a loving nap in the middle

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I've been watching Person of Interest this week and I've been enjoying it. But it's awfully convenient that all the numbers coming out just happen to be people in NYC. Or did I miss some throwaway line at the beginning about them ignoring people outside the city? Anyway, I'm almost done with the first season and that was just a random thought that crossed my mind.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

McSpanky posted:

Wait, that isn't the lesson?

I definitely have always taken the lesson to be less "don't give up, keep plugging along" and more "Don't be a cocky prick, rear end in a top hat."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

STAC Goat posted:

I definitely have always taken the lesson to be less "don't give up, keep plugging along" and more "Don't be a cocky prick, rear end in a top hat."

I mean, more or less. It's about being careful and methodical and not letting overconfidence lull you into making mistakes.

Also, everyone should checkout the new sticky.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Jingleheimer posted:

I've been watching Person of Interest this week and I've been enjoying it. But it's awfully convenient that all the numbers coming out just happen to be people in NYC. Or did I miss some throwaway line at the beginning about them ignoring people outside the city? Anyway, I'm almost done with the first season and that was just a random thought that crossed my mind.

One can assume that the algorithm is filtering for numbers people can do something about.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I think there was a line about how new york was all he could manage to sneak out or something? IDK its been a while.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I think there was a line about how new york was all he could manage to sneak out or something? IDK its been a while.

It can definitely do more, but with their limited resources it makes sense to only give them localized things.

It gets much more broad as they do as well over the course of the show

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I haven't been to post in here in ages (Because I fell off following TV)... uh, is there a Futurama thread? I miss it and want to post about it.

Life and death are a seamless continuum... mm hmm.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Jingleheimer posted:

This is eventually addressed. If you really wanna know former numbers who leave NYC may get recruited by the machine to be their own branch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Argue posted:

This is eventually addressed. If you really wanna know former numbers who leave NYC may get recruited by the machine to be their own branch.

PoI is seriously such a good Sci Fi show. I love the crime of the week episodes as much as I love the overarching story. I think that and Fringe are the only long running shows that actually pulled that off.