Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Has anyone else had the issue of being in the midst of a major war or even mid-siege and suddenly peace being declared with no intervention or notification?

It’s happened three times now during my genocidal campaign against the Vlandians. I’ve killed like six or seven of their kings in the past few hours, could that be related to the problem?

It’s really goddamned annoying when you have them on the ropes and are about to take a city, only to get the normal city menu. And all the settlements etc still show up as red/hostile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Yeah I haven't played in a few patches but a couple times when I had a kingdom the kingdom I was at war with unilaterally declared peace, ending the war. You can't just do that!!

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Man the discord lifeboats

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
In this scenario, lowtax is Harlaus and all the extra fiefs are dollars that should've gone into forum maintenance. I'm not sure what to do with this metaphor

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

In this scenario, lowtax is Harlaus and all the extra fiefs are dollars that should've gone into forum maintenance. I'm not sure what to do with this metaphor

the cookies are butter

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Fishbus, should SA finally be consigned to oblivion, are you going to upload your mod to Nexus?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Enjoy posted:

the cookies are butter

cops raid lowtax's house and find 256 units of $45 cookies

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

Fishbus, should SA finally be consigned to oblivion, are you going to upload your mod to Nexus?

If it does, then yes

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Battanian tournament:
Bare-chested warriors swing mighty swords and powerful axes. Arrows flash through the air, and the whisper of a throwing-axe can mean instant death.
Sturgian tournament:
WHO'S READY FOR AN EVENING OF 1V1 SPEAR & SHIELD POKE-OFFS!?

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Hello, I've pushed my PowerUp mod onto Nexus Mods

Located here: PowerUp Mod

Remember this runs on LATEST BETA BRANCH (e1.4.2)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
My idiot ruler Derthert refuses to declare war on anyone. How do I go about triggering an entertaining war without everyone hating me? I've sunk a lot of influence into votes for war, but it's never quite enough.
On another note, why is the icon for influence a partially-peeled banana?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

My idiot ruler Derthert refuses to declare war on anyone. How do I go about triggering an entertaining war without everyone hating me? I've sunk a lot of influence into votes for war, but it's never quite enough.
On another note, why is the icon for influence a partially-peeled banana?

You can raid a village to start a war

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Seeing a lot of heavy archer based meta happening in multiplayer and it's really fun. I can never tell if it will work of not.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Just got this game and man whoever posted about whichever faction they join getting dogpiled wasn't joking. I joined the Northern Empire and it wasn't long before we were at war with literally every neighbour. I buggered off to some neutral land to level smithing instead of getting repeatedly hosed on, and the mean time they lost every last holding so I bailed on them. I'm nervous to join another faction now.

Thanks whoever posted about how broken smithing is for making money btw. I've gone from eking out barely enough to pay my troops by doing tournaments to making 18-30k per 2h sword I crank out, money is no longer a thing.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 1, 2020

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I joined Sturgia this time around. Their infantry is absolutely beastly, I tried Battania but aside from Fians all their units seem INCREDIBLY poo poo?! Terrible armor and offense. Sturgia mainly seems to get its poo poo kicked in because their lands are so spread out and snow travel + forest is slow as poo poo. I managed to patch the worst holes against Vlandia and other areas so far, but my rear end in a top hat leader refuses to hand over any city I conquer to me. As revenge I revoked all policies that help him and enacted one that makes the clan ruler lose influence every day.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

I joined Sturgia this time around. Their infantry is absolutely beastly, I tried Battania but aside from Fians all their units seem INCREDIBLY poo poo?! Terrible armor and offense. Sturgia mainly seems to get its poo poo kicked in because their lands are so spread out and snow travel + forest is slow as poo poo. I managed to patch the worst holes against Vlandia and other areas so far, but my rear end in a top hat leader refuses to hand over any city I conquer to me. As revenge I revoked all policies that help him and enacted one that makes the clan ruler lose influence every day.

One thing that seemed to work out best for my armies is starting as Battania and getting a ton of Fians because it seems like Battania and Sturgia almost always go to war. So then you as the player almost always get a Sturgian fief which lets you recruit Sturgian infantry to go with the core of Fians you brought over from Battanian lands.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Strangely Battania is blooming in this game, they arent at var with Vlandia and just one imperial faction thats getting bullied by everyone. Sturgia has been at war with Vlandia and Khuzaits, but only one at a time luckily. I'd very much like the upper right corner but I can't get the votes to hand over the town/castle to me with influence.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Any tips for early game stuff? My first battle, where I out-numbered sea raiders by 3 to 1, I lost because a javelin hit me for 98% of my health and my troops ran away. Any faction in particular that I should recruit from early on that don't produce worthless troops? Which skills should I focus on during character creation that lets me mitigate that?

Or are there any cheats that I can just give myself godly troops with billions of gold so they stand a chance against the mighty, invincible sea raiders.

Edit: Definitely not salty that's my first battle that happened immediately after a crash that caused me to lose 30 minutes of progress. Nosiree.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 1, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

If the bandit hierarchy is the same as in the original M&B, sea raiders are the toughest bandits and shouldn't be your first battle. Level your troops on some looters first.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

If the bandit hierarchy is the same as in the original M&B, sea raiders are the toughest bandits and shouldn't be your first battle. Level your troops on some looters first.

Yeah, I figured that. I restarted because, as you could probably tell, I was having a lot of problems. The first hour of the game wasn't all that well received for me because it was one technical problem after another followed by a crash.

Which skill increases movement speed on the overworld? After playing it a few hours I remembered why I used teleportation cheats in Warband: because you chase after looters and other bandits for thousands of days without gaining any kind of ground and it's the most boring, tedious poo poo imaginable.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, I figured that. I restarted because, as you could probably tell, I was having a lot of problems. The first hour of the game wasn't all that well received for me because it was one technical problem after another followed by a crash.

Which skill increases movement speed on the overworld? After playing it a few hours I remembered why I used teleportation cheats in Warband: because you chase after looters and other bandits for thousands of days without gaining any kind of ground and it's the most boring, tedious poo poo imaginable.

you can mouse over the movement speed number in the bottom right panel and it shows you the contributing factors to arrive at the final number

the most important things aren't having high skills but instead:
1. have a bunch of extra horses (they have to be at least the tier above pack horses) in your inventory that your non-cavalry units then ride on during map movement to make your party go faster
2. have high morale
3. turn the difficulty option that governs map movement speed to the biggest bonus

e: i think the riding and/or athletics skill of your units may affect map movement speed too but i'm not sure

e2: oh yeah and don't have too many horses (and/or cows or sheep or whatever) because then you get a movement speed penalty that's labeled "herd" in the tooltip

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 2, 2020

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Shear Modulus posted:

you can mouse over the movement speed number in the bottom right panel and it shows you the contributing factors to arrive at the final number

the most important things aren't having high skills but instead:
1. have a bunch of extra horses (they have to be at least the tier above pack horses) in your inventory that your non-cavalry units then ride on during map movement to make your party go faster
2. have high morale
3. turn the difficulty option that governs map movement speed to the biggest bonus

e: i think the riding and/or athletics skill of your units may affect map movement speed too but i'm not sure

e2: oh yeah and don't have too many horses (and/or cows or sheep or whatever) because then you get a movement speed penalty that's labeled "herd" in the tooltip

Scouting perks (and the top tier Riding perk) are supposed to improve your map speed, but currently don't actually do anything.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Olesh posted:

Scouting perks (and the top tier Riding perk) are supposed to improve your map speed, but currently don't actually do anything.

Unless you download the community patch mod, apparently. That said, I did that and if they are working they don't show up on the breakdown.

Also, is there any point to the couch lance damage skills? They seem like complete overkill when couching already hits for several hundred damage.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Are there any "must have" mods for this?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Nothing major as the modding tools are not out yet, what modding in here novelty stuff people can do so far.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Unless you download the community patch mod, apparently. That said, I did that and if they are working they don't show up on the breakdown.

Also, is there any point to the couch lance damage skills? They seem like complete overkill when couching already hits for several hundred damage.

I wish there was one that reduced your chance to flinch when someone chucks a rock at your plate armor.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

SeanBeansShako posted:

Nothing major as the modding tools are not out yet, what modding in here novelty stuff people can do so far.

Looks that way. I grabbed something to fix the heads and a community patch. I don't know what I think about this game. I haven't played any of the others. I don't actually what I'm supposed to do but somehow I played for 10 loving hours straight last night.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Is there some magic trick to getting more than two fiefs? I got the first two, one castle and one town, pretty soon after joining up with a faction and fighting a few battles, but ever since then my name has only ever come up for one more and I didn't win it. This is despite being involved in the capture of dozens of castles and towns (leading the army myself in many cases), having the most influence of any clan in the kingdom, and boosting relations with every lord to ~30. Not sure what else I'm supposed to do. I can nominate a holding to change hands but that costs 200 influence to even propose and I'm not sure I'd even be on the ballot anyway.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I thought I read you'll be likely to get more once the amount of fiefs evens out a bit between the clansmen, but I could just be pulling that out of my rear end.best way to make sure you own poo poo is to break off and make your own kingdom, with blackjack and hookers, and your own proclamations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah I considered that but it seems like a good way to get wrecked by the first faction to send an army a few hundred strong at me and end up with no fiefs, no blackjack, and no hookers

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I found that things didn't balance out among the vassals. My kingdom's ruler began taking every captured fief for himself, despite doing nothing. He would even veto my getting a town if I were to spend the influence needed to get voted the ownership of one.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

How on earth do you get vassals? In my current campaign I broke off from Sturgia a while ago and now own pretty much all the ruins of Vlandia at the west of the map; they’re down to like two cities and I’ve killed like 3/4 of their nobles.

But I can’t seem to attract any vassals. Every time I do get someone to join they normally disappear with the lands I granted them within days. Even mercenaries change sides over and over, in spite of being +30 with them.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Camrath posted:

How on earth do you get vassals? In my current campaign I broke off from Sturgia a while ago and now own pretty much all the ruins of Vlandia at the west of the map; they’re down to like two cities and I’ve killed like 3/4 of their nobles.

But I can’t seem to attract any vassals. Every time I do get someone to join they normally disappear with the lands I granted them within days. Even mercenaries change sides over and over, in spite of being +30 with them.

Doesn’t killing nobles make everyone hate you?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Comrayn posted:

Doesn’t killing nobles make everyone hate you?

If that’s the case I may need to reconsider my ‘join me or die’ approach.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

If your power-hungry murder general is single-handedly winning the war for you, giving him more fiefs and power probably isn't the best idea.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

THE BAR posted:

If your power-hungry murder general is single-handedly winning the war for you, giving him more fiefs and power probably isn't the best idea.

I'm nothing but loyal to my King, I only want to protect him from the perils of absolute power. :colbert:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Camrath posted:

There's a mod that prevents vassals from deserting you unless your relationship with them is below a certain threshold. I would highly recommend it.

Wafflecopper posted:

Is there some magic trick to getting more than two fiefs? I got the first two, one castle and one town, pretty soon after joining up with a faction and fighting a few battles, but ever since then my name has only ever come up for one more and I didn't win it. This is despite being involved in the capture of dozens of castles and towns (leading the army myself in many cases), having the most influence of any clan in the kingdom, and boosting relations with every lord to ~30. Not sure what else I'm supposed to do. I can nominate a holding to change hands but that costs 200 influence to even propose and I'm not sure I'd even be on the ballot anyway.

The magic trick is that there's no real non-RP reason to directly own more than two fiefs, especially if you have a town. Hell, in my most recent playthrough I only own a castle, and I'm still in the green despite having a decently-sized, experienced party.

If you want to call the shots yourself, accumulate a stockpile of money first, then go independent and simply buy off any factions that declare war on you until you're strong enough to handle them.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 5, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

The magic trick is that there's no real non-RP reason to directly own more than two fiefs, especially if you have a town. Hell, in my most recent playthrough I only own a castle, and I'm still in the green despite having a decently-sized, experienced party.

If you want to call the shots yourself, accumulate a stockpile of money first, then go independent and simply buy off any factions that declare war on you until you're strong enough to handle them.

Towns generate influence which is why I wanted more, so I could command armies and go on the offensive more often. I already have infinite money from crafting. I didn't know you could buy factions off though so time to put that cash to use and go independent.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PYF looter stack

PYLF moment when the single remaining enemy clips through a cliffside

Wafflecopper posted:

Towns generate influence which is why I wanted more, so I could command armies and go on the offensive more often. I already have infinite money from crafting. I didn't know you could buy factions off though so time to put that cash to use and go independent.

The influence thing is a good point, I've also noticed that they've become very stingy with influence in the latest few patches. Still, even that is not too big a deal provided you already have the policies you want and you have enough influence to form the occasional army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So how is the kingdom aspect? I've vassal'd up with one of the leaders because, considering how buggy the game already is, being an independent kingdom sounds like a recipe for disaster. Also, as a vassal, what's the best way to get a town or village of your own? I want them sweet tax dollars.