Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

Has anyone seen this yet?

:catdrugs:

Of course something like this could only be spawned in 2020.

My first thought; "Is that a license plate holder?". Bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Sorry I have a lot of devices that I don't want to computer janitor all day every day and pi-hole is the easiest way to do it?

And I consider myself fairly willing to putup with CJ headaches. No, it's not the best way to do it but it sure as poo poo is a lot simpler than managing 15+ devices; and its not like it *hurts* from an ad blocking perspective, either.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
RGB would be more interesting with 40 strands of it in wild knots around coolant tubing filled with different fluorescent dyes, pulsing to whatever music's on. But instead they put it around fans or whatever.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
My sister's Synology DS916+ (4x8TB in RAID6) is reporting a degraded status with 1 disk failing. We had been planning on expanding her capacity soon anyways since her drives are nearing the 4 year mark. I was wondering whether it would be better to replace the failing disk with another 8TB one, and then after it's healthy again then we do the expansion with 12TB disks. Or is it possible to just replace the failing drive with a larger one since we are going to replace the other drives anyways?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

fletcher posted:

My sister's Synology DS916+ (4x8TB in RAID6) is reporting a degraded status with 1 disk failing. We had been planning on expanding her capacity soon anyways since her drives are nearing the 4 year mark. I was wondering whether it would be better to replace the failing disk with another 8TB one, and then after it's healthy again then we do the expansion with 12TB disks. Or is it possible to just replace the failing drive with a larger one since we are going to replace the other drives anyways?

My impression is that 8TB is still near the optimal $/TB but if you can find 12TBs with similar $/TB why not.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

fletcher posted:

If you intend to upgrade now is the time. Swap it with the bigger disk and then you've finished upgrading that disk AND it isn't degraded anymore.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Smashing Link posted:

My impression is that 8TB is still near the optimal $/TB but if you can find 12TBs with similar $/TB why not.

Yeah, but the OP wants to expand anyways with 12TBs across the board from the sounds of it. They should be able to just slam in a bigger drive and have it rebuild the array - although you won't realize any of the extra space until all drives are upgraded via the same method (rebuilding between each disk). That is my understanding at least - that was my plan to upgrade my 3TBx4 RAID5 array in my synology to 8 TBs - just swap the drives one at a time and rebuild the array between each.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ROJO posted:

Yeah, but the OP wants to expand anyways with 12TBs across the board from the sounds of it. They should be able to just slam in a bigger drive and have it rebuild the array - although you won't realize any of the extra space until all drives are upgraded via the same method (rebuilding between each disk). That is my understanding at least - that was my plan to upgrade my 3TBx4 RAID5 array in my synology to 8 TBs - just swap the drives one at a time and rebuild the array between each.

Yup exactly. Not looking to move Synology with more bays right now, so we just wanna go from 4x8TB to 4x12TB.

Thanks guys!! gently caress I hope this forum doesn't die :(

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Just in case, what is the lifeboat for the NAS thread? It's helped me tremendously for several years?

Also, 8TB WD MyBooks CAD$189 at Canadian Costco. :canada:
(Seen in the warehouse)

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Heners_UK posted:

Just in case, what is the lifeboat for the NAS thread? It's helped me tremendously for several years?

(Seen in the warehouse)

r/homelab, r/datahoarder

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ChiralCondensate posted:

r/homelab, r/datahoarder

Datahoarder also has an irc where you can sometimes see me blatantly try to get private tracker invites. gently caress you private trackers I ain't playin' your tracker tier dues games.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 25, 2020

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Heners_UK posted:

(Seen in the warehouse)

Let's hope it doesn't come to that but discussion about this whole thing is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm not moving to reddit. :(

In other, surely absolutely shocking, news, the WDN0EFRX line that was quietly pulled from stores a few months ago, is one of the drives that's being reintroduced as ~guarenteed-to-be-CMR-Red~, despite the fact that Red Pro already exists.
No word yet on the premium it'll sell at, but I imagine it'll be even more worth it to shuck as a result of this.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Here is an archive of every post in this thread up until my prior post; it's not great for browsing, but at least everything's archived.
It's a compressed tar file, so you'll probably need 7zip to open it.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

D. Ebdrup posted:

Here is an archive of every post in this thread up until my prior post; it's not great for browsing, but at least everything's archived.
It's a compressed tar file, so you'll probably need 7zip to open it.

I made a something awful thread exporter years ago: https://github.com/fletchowns/awfulutils

I just tried running it and it seems to still work ok. It basically just downloads all the CSS and images, and each thread page in a separate HTML file with working pagination. It strips out a bunch of garbage from the page so you just get a simplified UI.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 25, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

I have recently set up a small personal Pi 4 webserver and I'm looking at storage options. It will run 24/7 but under very little load, so it's gonna be NAS HDDs, but for the moment I won't mind if it goes down for a day or so, so I'll skip RAID and just set up rsync backups.

The Pi can power an external USB HDD but not two, so I will need either a 2-disk bay or two enclosures. The bay would be MUCH nicer in terms of cable management and convenience, and the built-in clone button could come in handy, but I'm worried about it being a single point of failure.

More specifically, I don't care if it dies and the server goes down for a while, but I'm worried it could potentially somehow brick both hard disks at the same time. Is that a valid concern at all?

Why not just plug a USB thumb drive into it and read from there

For a tiny personal webserver that's probably reasonable. You can get reliable 128gb thumb drives all day long for $50, and there are some sketch looking 1TB drives for $40. And then setup some sort of S3 backup of critical files and serve from there

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

fletcher posted:

I made a something awful thread exporter years ago: https://github.com/fletchowns/awfulutils

I just tried running it and it seems to still work ok. It basically just downloads all the CSS and images, and each thread page in a separate HTML file with working pagination. It strips out a bunch of garbage from the page so you just get a simplified UI.
Oh, this is a lot better than what I've been using.

One issue that I noticed, is that it generates errors on some images that it can't grab because of connection timeout. This means that the page is not saved properly, and just ends up being a blank file. I'll file an issue with it, as there's no reason to fill up the thread.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 25, 2020

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I know you should disable cache before doing a big data move but theoretically what happens if an unRaid cache device fills during a file transfer/operation?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

cr0y posted:

I know you should disable cache before doing a big data move but theoretically what happens if an unRaid cache device fills during a file transfer/operation?

It depends on the settings you made for the cache drive. It'll either stop because it's full or it will start writing things directly to the array after the cache drive is full.

Edit: I'm not home so I don't have my setup in front of me, but this table has the idea:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-537383

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 26, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

What's the point of a cache if it can be invalidated that easily?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Does Unraid really have no better option for creating a bootable USB under Linux than the very unreliable make_bootable_linux script? I managed to use it successfully once before but now even after several retries the USB just isn't bootable despite the script saying it executed successfully.

Also, does anyone use ZFS with OMV or is that a recipe for disaster?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Thanks to fletcher, there's now an archive of this thread that's completely browsable and contains all the images that I could access as of running the tool.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

D. Ebdrup posted:

Thanks to fletcher, there's now an archive of this thread that's completely browsable and contains all the images that I could access as of running the tool.

:hfive:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

Also, does anyone use ZFS with OMV or is that a recipe for disaster?
I can't imagine ZFS can make things worse, considering what it is. Go hog wild, friend.

Aside from having to rerun it a couple of times, to take care of missing files, it really works out great.
Is there any way to modify it so that if a page_N.html is generated but is zero-bytes big, that it automatically deletes it and tries to run again?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

D. Ebdrup posted:

Aside from having to rerun it a couple of times, to take care of missing files, it really works out great.
Is there any way to modify it so that if a page_N.html is generated but is zero-bytes big, that it automatically deletes it and tries to run again?

Aw dang, I thought I fixed the bug! Yeah if you are still seeing that issue with my latest changes, I can add in some automatic retries

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Hadlock posted:

Why not just plug a USB thumb drive into it and read from there

For a tiny personal webserver that's probably reasonable. You can get reliable 128gb thumb drives all day long for $50, and there are some sketch looking 1TB drives for $40. And then setup some sort of S3 backup of critical files and serve from there

Well I don't need a lot of storage but I do need more than that.

If I'm going to go with unreliable storage + backups, external 2.5 HDDs beat thumb drives in everything but noise and size (neither is a particular concern). I have decided to go with that, in fact, so I just bought another Maxtor 4TB drive. I will mitigate the 'it takes a week to restore from the cloud' problem by adding a thumb drive to back up the docker-compose + Caddyfile and some smaller paths like the Bitwarden database.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

fletcher posted:

Aw dang, I thought I fixed the bug! Yeah if you are still seeing that issue with my latest changes, I can add in some automatic retries
Oh, I hadn't seen you'd updated!
Dude, this loving rocks - it's working exactly like I thought it would now.

I especially like the newer error handling, it's much easier to log to a file and grep through it to see what, if anything, failed.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

D. Ebdrup posted:

I'm not moving to reddit. :(

In other, surely absolutely shocking, news, the WDN0EFRX line that was quietly pulled from stores a few months ago, is one of the drives that's being reintroduced as ~guarenteed-to-be-CMR-Red~, despite the fact that Red Pro already exists.
No word yet on the premium it'll sell at, but I imagine it'll be even more worth it to shuck as a result of this.

Hopefully the forums will skate through on Jeff's cryptodosh. Someone pointed out in the big thread that Bitcoin saving SA was loving :lol:

In my run up to creating a bigger pool for myself, I've been Hoovering up 8TB EasyStores around town. Bestbuy has them 60$ off, coming out to 150 and change after tax. That's a pretty good deal right :ohdear: So far all the ones I've found have been from Thailand, which I understand increases the odds I'll get 256mb cache rather than 128 from Chinese drives.

Haven't actually shucked any yet, been running Smart tests just through their USB. I was going to try and do a badblocks run, but that poo poo was going to take 15 days over USB2 so I nope'd out of that one. A Smart short and long test should be enough for supposedly new drives, right?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Takes No Damage posted:

Hopefully the forums will skate through on Jeff's cryptodosh. Someone pointed out in the big thread that Bitcoin saving SA was loving :lol:

In my run up to creating a bigger pool for myself, I've been Hoovering up 8TB EasyStores around town. Bestbuy has them 60$ off, coming out to 150 and change after tax. That's a pretty good deal right :ohdear: So far all the ones I've found have been from Thailand, which I understand increases the odds I'll get 256mb cache rather than 128 from Chinese drives.

Haven't actually shucked any yet, been running Smart tests just through their USB. I was going to try and do a badblocks run, but that poo poo was going to take 15 days over USB2 so I nope'd out of that one. A Smart short and long test should be enough for supposedly new drives, right?

I debated doing this and ended up going with the Ultrastar data center drives. I don’t have anywhere to put a bigger array with more redundant array setup. I’ve just got my little 4 bay QNAP and no where else at the moment.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
That's probably still not a bad idea with only 4 drives. Those are 200 instead of 150 but if they're actually built for NAS then there's some added value/safety there. I'm pretty much rolling the dice on getting decent drives and praying that 2 drives of parity would save me if a dud does sneak through.

Is there any kind of overall health check you can do on a new zfs pool before you start writing data to it beyond just S.M.A.R.T. and that would complete in less than a week?

e:

fletcher posted:

Since things are still up in the air, could I get a hand with this? I was using the Chrome plugin SA Archiving Tool, and while it does ok for smaller threads it's choking on megathreads like the Retro FPS thread.

I got it installed with the pip command, but then realized I was still on Python 2.7 or whatever. Upgraded to 3.8 and tried running the install command again but the files still just show up in .local/lib/python2.7 or similar. What do I need to do to reinstall under Python 3.8?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 27, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

fletcher posted:

Welp, I found a new bug that's more frustrating because it causes the session to error out, so it gets more difficult to leave running over night.

Takes No Damage posted:

I mean that is pretty loving hilarious, yea

Where do you have that idea from? I've not seen anything to back that up, but would be interested in the statistics of it.

S.M.A.R.T Long and Short tests, and Conveyance test (made specifically to ensure they weren't bumped too hard while shipped around, and available on most drives) are the ones you absolutely _must_ run. Badblocks or something equivalent is a good idea to eliminate drives which're gonna fail at the beginning of the bathtub curve, but yeah it takes for loving ever.
No chance of a USB3 daughterboard, if your system doesn't have native USB3?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

D. Ebdrup posted:

Where do you have that idea from? I've not seen anything to back that up, but would be interested in the statistics of it.

Do you mean the Thailand/China thing? I thought I'd seen it mentioned in this thread, but Reddit seems to agree. Also this guy:

some user comment on bestbuy.com posted:

There are WD Red drives inside with NASware 3.0. Be sure you get the drive manufactured in Thailand not China. The Thailand drives have a 256mb cache and the China ones are allegedly only 128mb. I found this out from a YouTube video by JDM_WAAT published on 7/26/2017 titled "Western Digital Easystore 8TB (WD Red inside) unboxing and shucking. I verified the 256mb cache on my Thailand drive (WD80EFAX-68LPHN0). The video shows how to open the enclosure without breaking it and shuck the drive in great detail. A+ would shuck again.

D. Ebdrup posted:

S.M.A.R.T Long and Short tests, and Conveyance test (made specifically to ensure they weren't bumped too hard while shipped around, and available on most drives) are the ones you absolutely _must_ run. Badblocks or something equivalent is a good idea to eliminate drives which're gonna fail at the beginning of the bathtub curve, but yeah it takes for loving ever.
No chance of a USB3 daughterboard, if your system doesn't have native USB3?

My 'system' in this case is a Pi 3B, and I'm not quite ready to get a Pi 4 yet just for the USB ports. I'm sure between my Windows and Linux machines I've got some USB3 ports somewhere, is a badblocks test really that beneficial?

Conveyance doesn't seem to be an option with the EasyStores I've been getting, according to smartctl -i. I had to jump through a few hoops to get the drives to mount at all, I had to install an NTFS package before I could mount the drives and need to add a '-d sat' to all the smartctl commands

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Takes No Damage posted:

Since things are still up in the air, could I get a hand with this? I was using the Chrome plugin SA Archiving Tool, and while it does ok for smaller threads it's choking on megathreads like the Retro FPS thread.

I got it installed with the pip command, but then realized I was still on Python 2.7 or whatever. Upgraded to 3.8 and tried running the install command again but the files still just show up in .local/lib/python2.7 or similar. What do I need to do to reinstall under Python 3.8?

Your Python 3.8 installation may require you to use the command pip3 if pip is for 2.7. I've updated the readme with some better installation instructions using a virtual environment, since it may not be ideal to install system wide.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Welp, I found a new bug that's more frustrating because it causes the session to error out, so it gets more difficult to leave running over night.

Was it just timing out and hanging forever? Might be due to the HTTP requests lacking a timeout, I added a fix for it here: https://github.com/fletchowns/awfulutils/issues/13

Feel free to log issues on the github! Let me know the threadid as well, makes it easy to reproduce issues. I am too lazy to write proper tests. I fixed several issues that probably led to 0 byte pages so be sure to double check any existing exports you may have created, also fixed some issues with downloading images. Instructions for how to upgrade are in the readme.

I'm a bit hesitant to broadcast this tool to a wider audience, probably wouldn't be great for the SA servers if too many people were using this.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

Do you mean the Thailand/China thing? I thought I'd seen it mentioned in this thread, but Reddit seems to agree. Also this guy:

My 'system' in this case is a Pi 3B, and I'm not quite ready to get a Pi 4 yet just for the USB ports. I'm sure between my Windows and Linux machines I've got some USB3 ports somewhere, is a badblocks test really that beneficial?

Conveyance doesn't seem to be an option with the EasyStores I've been getting, according to smartctl -i. I had to jump through a few hoops to get the drives to mount at all, I had to install an NTFS package before I could mount the drives and need to add a '-d sat' to all the smartctl commands
Sorry, I make a policy out of never ever visiting Reddit for reasons which are irrelevant to this.
That supposed fact is complete hearsay though, with no statistics behind it, so I'm just going to disregard it. If people don't back up statements like that with statistics, they're usually making poo poo up - possible to fit their per-conceived notions.

Conveyance test missing usually indicates a terrible binning of the underlying product, so I hope you've got mirroring or something like that setup, and that you practice safe backup strategies (ie. do you test your backups? If you just backup and assume it'll work, there's a pretty good chance that it won't; case in point, the best way to do it is to automated the whole backup and checking, and have it alert you if it fails).

fletcher posted:

Was it just timing out and hanging forever? Might be due to the HTTP requests lacking a timeout, I added a fix for it here: https://github.com/fletchowns/awfulutils/issues/13

Feel free to log issues on the github! Let me know the threadid as well, makes it easy to reproduce issues. I am too lazy to write proper tests. I fixed several issues that probably led to 0 byte pages so be sure to double check any existing exports you may have created, also fixed some issues with downloading images. Instructions for how to upgrade are in the readme.

I'm a bit hesitant to broadcast this tool to a wider audience, probably wouldn't be great for the SA servers if too many people were using this.
It was timing out in the connect phase of python (easily identified on BSD systems with SIGINFO/ctrl+t, or dtrace), but it didn't ever error out due to the long timeouts.

The switch for tuning timeouts is highly appreciated though, since I'm on FTTH with my own DNS, if something isn't working fairly fast, I know it's not going to work within a reasonable timeframe.

Oh, I've already mentioned it in another thread, possibly also on a discord. orz
FWIW, it doesn't really hammer the servers that much with the way you've written it - at least based on my understanding of the code. It's a lot better than curl, for example.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So my 2nd Synology 1515+ died, and being 4 years old is out of warranty. I was thinking of just getting a 4 or 5-bay RAID enclosure as I'm not sure I want to plough more money back into a Synology box. Are there any that are reliable and reasonably costed?

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013

Smashing Link posted:

So my 2nd Synology 1515+ died, and being 4 years old is out of warranty. I was thinking of just getting a 4 or 5-bay RAID enclosure as I'm not sure I want to plough more money back into a Synology box. Are there any that are reliable and reasonably costed?

It was easy enough to do the resistor fix on mine and bring it back into life. https://mariushosting.com/synology-how-to-fix-c2000-flaw-with-100-ohm-resistor/ Should get you back into action and buy you more time to decide on what replacement you want to move to. I moved to an 1819+ and used my 1515+ as a snapshot replication target. If its not the cpu bug then it might be the psu and that's easy enough to source and replace.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

JockstrapManthrust posted:

It was easy enough to do the resistor fix on mine and bring it back into life. https://mariushosting.com/synology-how-to-fix-c2000-flaw-with-100-ohm-resistor/ Should get you back into action and buy you more time to decide on what replacement you want to move to. I moved to an 1819+ and used my 1515+ as a snapshot replication target. If its not the cpu bug then it might be the psu and that's easy enough to source and replace.

That seems doable, thanks for the tip.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Also the warranty for the 1515+ was extended to 4 years, so if it is just over 4 years, than it would be out of warranty. They added a year on the default one, so 3 for DS415+ 4 for 1515+ and 4 for 1815+

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If it's just over the 4 years, you may have luck contacting your retailer to get it in under the wire, too.
It's worth a try, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

NihilCredo posted:

Well I don't need a lot of storage but I do need more than that.

If I'm going to go with unreliable storage + backups, external 2.5 HDDs beat thumb drives in everything but noise and size (neither is a particular concern). I have decided to go with that, in fact, so I just bought another Maxtor 4TB drive. I will mitigate the 'it takes a week to restore from the cloud' problem by adding a thumb drive to back up the docker-compose + Caddyfile and some smaller paths like the Bitwarden database.

If you're going with unreliable storage, you could do worse than an RPi + one of those USB 3 to SATA doodads? The cheapo ones can power SSDs, you'll need an external power supply for anything that spins, because I don't think any flavor of RPi has USB-PD yet.

edit: Oh right, I came into this thread for a reason. Looking for a stopgap measure until 10 Gbit comes down in price more, what's a good cheapo option that I haven't thought of because the above is what I'm using now.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 28, 2020