Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I played a little more online mode, and my first visit to Saint Denis... well I've never seen anything like it. And right now I'm walking around the town at night in the rain and it's just amazing. I don't know how else to describe it.

EDIT: I just rode from St. Denis to Blackwater in the rain. It was a loooong ride, and the rain was heavy at times. The lighting and sound throughout was incredible.

EDIT 2: I was looking at roles and I see that each one costs 15 gold to get started. Is that hard to come by?

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Online is good because you don't suffer from a pervasive sense of encroaching dread whenever you play it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT 2: I was looking at roles and I see that each one costs 15 gold to get started. Is that hard to come by?

Only initially because your gold multiplier from dailies is low. Do at least one daily a day to keep the streak going. 3 weeks for maximum multiplier.

Grab collector first. It's braindead work, but you will make SO much XP and cash. Then use this map which shows you where the collectibles are that day.

Rest of the roles aren't lucrative AND they're boring. But every role gives you inventory improving bonuses and some fun stuff.

Pwnstar posted:

Online is good because you don't suffer from a pervasive sense of encroaching dread whenever you play it.

You don't play on sessions against me. :black101:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 22, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My quests have sent me far west to talk to some lawmen and I had my first cooperative mission with a much higher and much more grizzled looking player. Takes me a lot of shots to bring down most enemies and I'm burning through my ammo.

I checked out the daily challenges and most appeared to be inaccessible to me right now (Ex: multiple fishing challenges) but there was one for using tobacco so I bought a couple of packs of cigarettes and smoked myself blind. I also emptied my stamina core and found that you can't just camp somewhere and sleep it off. Whoops!

I remain constantly in awe at how beautiful this game is.

And you can still pet dogs and horses in this mode!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I good thing to do Online, if you don't want to be a raging jerkass but still want to shoot players, is to go up on mountains with the Rolling Block or Carcano Rifle and try to snipe them while they're mucking around being jerks to other players. An especially good spot is on the cliff outside of the New Hanover bootlegger shed. Players like to screw around in that general area and you can be the supreme coward and run inside if things get too bananas.

Their hostility is high so being a coward and running after you murder them is fair game.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Dick Trauma posted:

I checked out the daily challenges and most appeared to be inaccessible to me right now (Ex: multiple fishing challenges) but there was one for using tobacco so I bought a couple of packs of cigarettes and smoked myself blind. I also emptied my stamina core and found that you can't just camp somewhere and sleep it off. Whoops!

Thus the wisdom is passed down: Loot. Loot early, loot often, loot everything that isn't nailed down, and loot a crowbar to deal with that. No, no crowbar - you do find one at a murder scene in SP, though. There's no encumbrance other than physically carrying something, and that's reserved for coyote-sized animals on up. So, search through every cabinet and chest, make a pass over every table, sideboard and mantelpiece - eventually you'll learn where top find lots of cigs, cans of food, or assorted alcohol. (Also free ammo, but it's usually cheap stuff. Still shoots, though.)

As noted above, do dailies when possible, for the gold (and XP). When you can, buy Collector for a continuing cashflow. When (if?) the next Outlaw Pass becomes available, buy it - normal-activity XP will level the Pass, which gives you useful rewards like free ammo/supplies/items, including things you need to spend large cash to learn to make for yourself. (Fire arrows, poison knives, and explosive ammo, for example.) It'll also give collectibles like coins and arrowheads, and maps - both collectible and treasure.

When you feel up to it, try doing some of the quest-giver missions - check the orange "person" map-markers. (Train stations usually have someone, who may or may not have a job ready; note the *type* of job, and whether it will mess with your honor level (if that's important to you).) These seem to pay out some gold as well.

For fishing dailies before you can buy a pole, horse-stomped or shot fish count as "catching", as well as beached ones. And once you have the correct fish for a type of meat, you're good to cook.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Sleekly posted:

i hated all my horses and when they fail their corpses get molotoved. there should be a glue factory so u can get some bux back at least and destroy other peoples horses. the only good thing any of them do is poo poo in funny places and you can't even control or weaponise that!

And none shall bear the name of D-Horse until they can poop on command :colbert:

Pwnstar posted:

I do because I know the game is gonna gently caress me over at any minute.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If you don't get an encroaching sense of dread every time you enter the loading screen for a moonshine sale mission then you haven't been playing long enough

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Ainsley McTree posted:

If you don't get an encroaching sense of dread every time you enter the loading screen for a moonshine sale mission then you haven't been playing long enough

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fun New Old West Fact: Tuberculosis is still devastating. Modern treatment is a 6 month course of multiple antibiotics, and TB is #1 in the ranking of infections disease deaths per year.

For a real kick in the balls, Doc Holliday contracted TB as a teenager from caring for his sick mother while - you guessed it - she was dying of TB. He abandoned his medical career because of TB and died at 35.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 23, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Also, one of the most common historical vectors of infection used to be unpasteurized milk, because the germ naturally lives on cow udders, so yeah, people who buy raw milk because it's "better" are literally putting everyone around them at risk of dying of lung rot.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm pretty sure that if you freeze frame the cut scene where Dutch blatantly lies about leaving Arthur to die you can find the exact moment where Arthur's heart breaks.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

This morning I realized that my character has a camera, and spent a long time annoying the residents of St. Denis. I love antique photos and tried to turn one of my shots into a passable fake.

EDIT:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 23, 2020

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

Dick Trauma posted:

This morning I realized that my character has a camera, and spent a long time annoying the residents of St. Denis. I love antique photos and tried to turn one of my shots into a passable fake.

EDIT:

These are cool!
Look up "sixstreetunder" on Instagram. Scroll down a bit - he made some AMAZING pictures in red dead!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Holy poo poo, arc words for the story:

"Do you enjoy tales of the Wild West?"

"Not so much, anymore."

Arthur gave John his satchel, not his gun collection. So why does John have a wagon-load of Arthur's firearms, but not his money?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 24, 2020

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Weekly update includes all limited-time clothing being reoffered - if you need your Cossack or Raccoon hat, Concho pants, or lots of horrible-looking poo poo, you can now piss away cash or gold to fill in holes in your collection. (This includes the masks that were offered a little while back, so if you missed the earlier opportunity to run around in a disturbing aspect, head to Madame Nazar!)

(Note: you can wear a mask or a hat, which sucks because I like the Carnival masks and think hats would go well with the Kewpie-doll look.)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've been completing at least two challenges each day, and they've been pretty easy. Pet dogs, smoke cigarettes, ride the St. Denis tram for about 20 minutes... I will stay with it until I can get enough money for my first role. Looking forward to that.

I think I'm nearing the end of the story, but have been enjoying wandering around doing whatever. I learned how to use spices when I cook! I've run a few missions, most of which ended pretty badly when other players got involved, but there were still rewards.

All in all Online has been a good experience that I think I prefer to the main game.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Dick Trauma posted:

ride the St. Denis tram for about 20 minutes

Oh poo poo, that counts for the train one? :suicide: I never thought of that... probably get a little sporty trying to wingshot birds from it, though.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Dick Trauma posted:

ride the St. Denis tram for about 20 minutes

I have like 265 gold and nothing to spend it on at this point, but what the gently caress.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'd noticed the tracks but hadn't seen a tram, so when I heard the bell I ran around until I found it and hopped on, and noticed that it was registering for a daily challenge to ride 10,000... miles? on a train. So I stayed on it while I played with the in-game camera, and eventually I finished the challenge.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The single player seriously goes on forever. I'm 10 hours into the epilogue easy.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You can also drive the tram for the "drive a train" one BUT you have to tram-jack the driver or it won't count.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

RDR online

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 26, 2020

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
And yet they left the image up. :v:

Welp, tried the "puke in my shine shack's bar" thing to for the "drunken interaction" daily, and no go. I'll have to dig up that video again, maybe I was vomiting wrong.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ygolonac posted:

And yet they left the image up. :v:

Welp, tried the "puke in my shine shack's bar" thing to for the "drunken interaction" daily, and no go. I'll have to dig up that video again, maybe I was vomiting wrong.

I tried it and it didn't work for me, either. But who knows if I did it right.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

FuturePastNow posted:

I tried it and it didn't work for me, either. But who knows if I did it right.

Dammit, how hard can it be to puke on someone after pigging out on four servings of stew, a full gallon of moonshine, and then a couple handfuls of poisonous flowers? :rockstar:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sad that Arthur dies mainly because I wanted to see the depressed blond lunatic gunslinger power couple become a reality.

Finally finished the game after I think something like 220 hours. What a ride! I guess I agree with criticisms that the second half of the game isn't as good as the first half and that the controls are clunky and frustrating, but the narrative blew me away. This is without a doubt the best Western prestige TV drama ever. If HBO picked up Red Dead Redemption and just did the plot of RDR2 they'd easily have two seasons of content to adapt.

Micah beating Arthur to death in S2E9 would be the biggest TV gut punch since Game of Thrones season 5.

I guess that leads seamlessly to this question: which Arthur death scene do you guys prefer?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 26, 2020

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Arglebargle III posted:

Sad that Arthur dies mainly because I wanted to see the depressed blond lunatic gunslinger power couple become a reality.

Finally finished the game after I think something like 220 hours. What a ride! I guess I agree with criticisms that the second half of the game isn't as good as the first half and that the controls are clunky and frustrating, but the narrative blew me away. This is without a doubt the best Western prestige TV drama ever. If HBO picked up Red Dead Redemption and just did the plot of RDR2 they'd easily have two seasons of content to adapt.

Micah beating Arthur to death in S2E9 would be the biggest TV gut punch since Game of Thrones season 5.

I guess that leads seamlessly to this question: which Arthur death scene do you guys prefer?

I do like the" I stand unshaken" song if you go back for the money but if you dont go up the mountain Arthur doesn't die facing the sunrise like he wanted :smith:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Although I'm enjoying Online it's really slow going on the gold front. I'm at L14 with about $5.50 in gold, and that's with doing at least one challenge each day, free roam events when they pop up, stranger and story missions...

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Dick Trauma posted:

Although I'm enjoying Online it's really slow going on the gold front. I'm at L14 with about $5.50 in gold, and that's with doing at least one challenge each day, free roam events when they pop up, stranger and story missions...

You can reset the challenges up to 10 times for 0.4 gold each, by the way. It's slow going, but selling herbs is probably the easiest for this. You should also get a treasure map every fifth level, usually it'll have at least 1 gold in addition to however many dollars.

And you can rake in levels by using the collector's map to sell sets of items. It gives a ton of XP and mountains of cash.

Edit: Also, remember you don't have to find Nazar to sell the sets, they can be mailed from any post office.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 26, 2020

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Arglebargle III posted:

The one where I'm not paying attention and he gets clotheslined by a tree.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

You can reset the challenges up to 10 times for 0.4 gold each, by the way. It's slow going, but selling herbs is probably the easiest for this. You should also get a treasure map every fifth level, usually it'll have at least 1 gold in addition to however many dollars.

And you can rake in levels by using the collector's map to sell sets of items. It gives a ton of XP and mountains of cash.

Edit: Also, remember you don't have to find Nazar to sell the sets, they can be mailed from any post office.

I can only complete one or two challenges each day because most require combat skill which I will never have. I've only received one treasure map after the tutorial one, so not sure why I didn't get the others, but I'll keep a look out for the NPCs that provide them.

I collect lots of herbs but didn't realize I could sell them. What vendor buys herbs, because the butcher and fence don't seem to.

VVVVVV EDIT: Much like in real life I have not gone to the doctor. Thank you for the info!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 26, 2020

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Dick Trauma posted:

I can only complete one or two challenges each day because most require combat skill which I will never have. I've only received one treasure map after the tutorial one, so not sure why I didn't get the others, but I'll keep a look out for the NPCs that provide them.

I collect lots of herbs but didn't realize I could sell them. What vendor buys herbs, because the butcher and fence don't seem to.

I just checked, you get one every five levels starting at level 10. You can also get them from random encounters, either by buying or looting it from the NPC, and rarely they will drop as loot from clearing hideouts.

The doctor in St. Denis or Valentine will buy your herbs. You can reset the challenge after selling a hundred. It only counts toward the challenge again after you've reset it, though.

Use the collectible map to burn through levels and earn a ton of money. A set of coins is worth the most money, but requires the metal detector and shovel, both of which are rather pricey. Don't bother with the weekly sets once those unlock.

Edit: Forgot you need the Collector role to do that. :doh: You can still collect the stuff to sell once you get it.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 26, 2020

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Dick Trauma posted:

As noted above, the doctor will buy herbs. If there's some you absolutely can't find, and need for crafting, Madame Nazar will sell some, but they can be pricey. (Also flight feathers, for when you own a bow and need to craft specialty arrows.)

The "challenges" are different from the dailies - they're under the main menu (hit Esc), Progress, and...uh, can't open it here, but it's not the Role progress stuff. Stuff like Combat, Survivalist, and such. Some of those will be simpler, and are only good for one go. (Visit every bar, for example, or kill six enemies with arevolver without reloading. (That might need to be in Deadeye, too, I forget) Some, like "exterminate all flesh kill 1000 animals", can be reset to start over, with a small gold payout.

For specific herb dailies, eating them right off the plant counts for "picking", but remember some of this poo poo is poisonous. :barf: You can also discard some or all, from the Satchel. Also, save the thyme, mint and oregano for cooking - especially once you start grabbing Big Game meat (wolf/bear/big cat/gator), as eating * that* will give you a gold core for whatever type you devour. (Thyme for Deadeye is my favourite.)

Gold is a grind to get because Rockstar would really really really like you to spend actual money on it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was stoked to find out about using spices with cooking, and have been well-stocked with buff foods ever since. I like collecting herbs so I'm going to unload what I have and see if it's lucrative enough.

I've noticed challenge messages popping up now and then, like "Collected 50 herbs." I will dig to see where those are listed.

I would love to buy better weapons and some clothes but goddamn everything costs a shitload of money, and the catalog is poorly organized and unfilterable.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Also, I just remembered that the "Kill two animals with explosives" challenge can be done with fish. Toss dynamite in a school of fish. Profit. I think you need to do it 20 times for the challenge. Certainly quicker than the "Sell 100 herbs" one.

Dick Trauma posted:

I would love to buy better weapons and some clothes but goddamn everything costs a shitload of money, and the catalog is poorly organized and unfilterable.

If you view an item and pick View All, you'll get a nice list of the category you're looking at.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Buying clothes from the catalog sucks because I can't see how it looks on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Dick Trauma posted:

I've noticed challenge messages popping up now and then, like "Collected 50 herbs." I will dig to see where those are listed.

When that message pops, it's usually followed by "Press F1 for more details" on the PC. That'll take you directly to that item, and you can then back out to see all the things in that category, and one more Esc to get to the category list.

Catalog - from the index on first opening, you can select general categories (weapons or clothing), then subcategories within (handguns, or boots). Still a pain. I'd avoid using it for clothing, because you can't see what it looks like before selecting, and there's some godawful horrible stuff in there. Best thing about the catalog, if you have the money, is to buy max inventory of stuff - usually ammo. :clint: It'll store in your locker until you draw it out in camp or at the post office.

If you don't have one already, get a rifle - make sure it's actually a rifle and not a carbine. More powerful and a longer range, it can take down the bigger critters (deer on up) and give you better corpses. (Carbines will take deer with headshots, but usually don't leave Perfect carcasses.) Note that moose/elk/buffalo may need better ammo or even a better rifle - it's *possible* to drop 'em with a carbine, but it almost always takes multiple shots.