Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, this forum is pretty rabidly and blatantly Left Wing too and always has been so far as I know.

Not really. It was extremely RON PAUL libertarian in the 2000s. The leftward shift has only been in the last decade. D&D is quite left but most of the rest of the forum is fairly moderate in terms of modern politics.

Anyhow, looks like we've had 32 people in the Discord channel and some pretty good (and a little heated) chatting.

I don't wanna speak for everyone but the Discord consensus seems to be that we'd like to go back to the status quo, things have been pretty good here with Cyrano4747's moderation. There is significant resistance with moving en masse to breadnroses as we would like to avoid boxing the thread into one political ideology. Politics are part of religion inevitably, but we don't want to restrict the community.

One change that would helpful is less tolerance of trolling and bad-faith posting. We've had a few people kramer in here looking to pick a fight, and the thread engages patiently and at length with them. But that inevitably pisses off some of the thread regulars.

So I'd propose a thread title change. Religionthread: bad posting in good faith

You're welcome to come hang and talk religion and adjacent stuff, just do so in good faith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Fritz the Horse posted:

Not really. It was extremely RON PAUL libertarian in the 2000s. The leftward shift has only been in the last decade. D&D is quite left but most of the rest of the forum is fairly moderate in terms of modern politics.

Anyhow, looks like we've had 32 people in the Discord channel and some pretty good (and a little heated) chatting.

I don't wanna speak for everyone but the Discord consensus seems to be that we'd like to go back to the status quo, things have been pretty good here with Cyrano4747's moderation. There is significant resistance with moving en masse to breadnroses as we would like to avoid boxing the thread into one political ideology. Politics are part of religion inevitably, but we don't want to restrict the community.

One change that would helpful is less tolerance of trolling and bad-faith posting. We've had a few people kramer in here looking to pick a fight, and the thread engages patiently and at length with them. But that inevitably pisses off some of the thread regulars.

You're welcome to come hang and talk religion and adjacent stuff, just do so in good faith
:emptyquote:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Fritz the Horse posted:

Religionthread: faith posting in bad good :confused:

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
If this all blows up, I've enjoyed posting here and hope I've contributed something positive even if I've been aggravating sometimes. May we troll each other in the next world forum.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm not in favor of going back to the status quo. If Discord isn't good enough for in-depth discussion then we should look for a new forum home that's acceptable to all.

I realize we're not all Christians here but Jesus wasn't an 'accepting the status quo' kind of guy.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I'm guessing there won't be too many hard moral decisions to make. Either Lowtax hands over the keys, or he blows it up, or 99% of the users make the easy moral decision to leave.

It would be nice to have a place for the diaspora. If goons coalesce around one, I'd like to hear about it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Captain von Trapp posted:

It would be nice to have a place for the diaspora. If goons coalesce around one, I'd like to hear about it.

Yeah, that's the only reason I'm signing up for a bunch of discords - hoping that one of them will pin the "and we're off to X site".

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
For obvious personal reasons, I am PROUD of how goons are telling Lowtax how and why he is unacceptable.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

new discord link:

https://discord.gg/tnpXzze

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

to which I responded, "St. Arnulf of Oudenburg, patron of beer brewers and hop-pickers, intercede for our mods that they may have wisdom and common sense and stuff so that we may justly enjoy our six-packs of beer!"

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

zonohedron posted:

to which I responded, "St. Arnulf of Oudenburg, patron of beer brewers and hop-pickers, intercede for our mods that they may have wisdom and common sense and stuff so that we may justly enjoy our six-packs of beer!"

If this turns out good then St. Arnulf of Oudenburg for thread patron.

I will be endlessly sad if SA dies...I've had to work pretty hard today to not be bummed out.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pershing posted:

I will be endlessly sad if SA dies...I've had to work pretty hard today to not be bummed out.

Um, how does St. Arnulf feel about goatse?

Because I've never been so happy to say "well, hello old friend."

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Pershing posted:

All composite things are impermanent, friend. But it could just be that the impermanence is improvement in this case.

I made peace with the forums' death in January but this development gives me some hope.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I really really really hope that the buy goes through. There is no way this thread could live in any other forum

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I have never been happier to see a huge gaping anus and dangly balls.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

67. And the married man made the sign by which the goons were known.
68. JESUS gazed upon the married man and raised a hand in gesture.
69. "What is that man doing to his fundament?" asked JESUS.
70. The disciples could not answer him.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

lol

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Nessus posted:

I love the verse numbering :master:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nessus posted:

“The answer was: because the Logos was considered already by Philo to be the universal principle of the Divine self-manifestation, and therefore in saying that this is so, that this is historical reality in Jesus, one said of Him that He is universal. I gave you an interpretation of this term "universal:" Nothing can in principle be excluded, even if it is not actually developed within Christianity.”

There is an old taking of this idea to its extreme conclusion, that the divine might even be found in excrement. That the highest made itself present in the very lowest.

I don’t know I found some comfort, some degree of acceptance, of grace, in the abyssal goat man at the end of that post.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
that guy's doing well, by the way. he has a good life. someone told him he's famous.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

it's three hundred years later, but how much chaucer have you read. he'd think it was hilarious.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Nessus posted:

:perfect:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nessus posted:

71. And one of the disciples stepped forth with a robe, saying, "Cover yourself in your shame, my friend!"
72. But JESUS raised a hand and said, "Stand fast, and hinder him not
73. For he who reveals his innermost self unto God and Man alike,
74. Shall know no other shame in this life or the next.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

docbeard posted:

71. And one of the disciples stepped forth with a robe, saying, "Cover yourself in your shame, my friend!"
72. But JESUS raised a hand and said, "Stand fast, and hinder him not
73. For he who reveals his innermost self unto God and Man alike,
74. Shall know no other shame in this life or the next.

75. The disciples were astonished at this teaching

PS Prayer works, y'all. Thank you, St. Arnulf!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Nessus posted:

Holy poo poo.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
can the book of goatse chap 420 verse 69 be the next title

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The apocryphal gospel of the goat.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Religionthread: and Jesus asked, "what is that man doing to his fundament?"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Parable of the Se and the Goats

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Religionthread: and Jesus asked, "what is that man doing to his fundament?"

:hellyeah:

this is perfect.

Or,

Religionthread: bad posting in good faith

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

The longer we go without new information from the mods/admins (even a "it will take some time because of legal stuff. Here's the status and what needs to be done next" would be nice) I'm increasingly less convinced that SA will stick around. Should I pop into the discord every so often to see if this group of folks have moved to greener pastures or has that conversation died off?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jeffrey said he'd break things down for us once the site sale goes though. Other than that I think he's understandably staying quiet.

The Discord is still active, or at least as active as a small Discord channel typically is.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The discord has daily activity and the chat is good eatin' for the kind of stuff we usually get up to (talking about judaism, herbs, prayers and chorches)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bummer, I just can't do discord. Oh well, I guess I'll wait and see what happens here.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Slimy Hog posted:

Bummer, I just can't do discord. Oh well, I guess I'll wait and see what happens here.

It's a lot more to keep up with for sure, though our little corner of discord is pretty chill.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Slimy Hog posted:

The longer we go without new information from the mods/admins (even a "it will take some time because of legal stuff. Here's the status and what needs to be done next" would be nice) I'm increasingly less convinced that SA will stick around. Should I pop into the discord every so often to see if this group of folks have moved to greener pastures or has that conversation died off?

There's effectively a sale of SA, LLC involved. That's not going to get resolved in 48 hours.

I highly suggest a moment of chill. :)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah. Like to give you an example, a couple of days ago I hit up Jeffrey to try and find out some random admin thing and he was standing in line at a bank to get financial poo poo in order.

Earlier today I did the same thing and he was waiting on an appointment with a lawyer to do some lawyer poo poo and get some documents faxed over.

This isn't like ordering a book off amazon or even buying a used car through craigslist. It's a process that's going to take a bit. It's a bit more complex than just cutting a check and having a bill of sale made out.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Just trust me on this one. If things go sour I'll be the first one to rush in (both here, and in the discord, and probably also via a really annoying message plastered all over the forums) to tell everyone to GTFO.

Before Lowtax agreed to sell Jeffrey had a second official offsite nearing completion. Like, bought a domain name, bought a xenforo license, and bought a month of cloud hosting. I remember him pondering whether he should go month to month to start with or get a year because it was cheaper over all (we argued month to month in case lowtax came to his senses). The day that the big "oh poo poo Lowtax sold" announcement was made the plan was to kick off SA 2.0 later that evening, or maybe the next day (that would have been Saturday) if something technical got wonky. The discords etc. were always intended to be lifeboats to keep the community together in case Lowtax just pulled the plug before we got a new forum spooled up.

So we're good. Keep posting about religion and cats here. If things to totally crazy Jeffrey can brush off the SA 2.0 that he already half set up. But it doesn't look like they will. All indications are that Lowtax has made his peace with what's going on and is accepting that he needs to sell.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
in the discord, we're posting about bread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

bread n rosaries