Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

So I did find an actual reasoning for this one, although I of course didn't research, so I don't know how true it is. Apparently, there was an early build of the game that had a rare but reproducible bug that caused bright flashing colors that could cause epileptic fits.
Thanks. I DID NOT RESEARCH this, and in my brief bit of NOT RESEARCHING I just came across a couple of creepy videos features distorted graphics and Wario laughing maniacally in the background (I'm guessing this got fused with the 'Wario Apparition' thing that was going around, too). Which really evoked a great nostalgic feeling regarding 'spooky' edited footage so it really left me with a smile on my face. The attendant story was that you had to shut the game off as quickly as possible once Wario appeared because it was actually some kind of AI entity that would escape the game if it wasn't stopped in time.

In other words, The Princess.

"If you see him, turn off the WAH!"

That said, it also feels like it's an arbitrary build date that simply builds up mystique by not explaining itself except to imply that something real bad happened, rather than actual build copy (and I respect that), so I wouldn't believe the epileptic freakout, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Procrastine posted:

Whomp's Fortress interior/Original resolution textures/120 has spiritual significance/Bob-Omb Village: idk lol
I'm frankly more confused about these than the other things, at least stuff like "Lavender Town is a cover up" seem like obvious jokes...why the hell would you lie about something as specific as "Bob-Omb village"? There has to be answers to these.

EDIT: Actually, the 120 thing MAY be a reference to a saying from Jewish tradition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_until_120 Apparently the reason why this exists is that Moses lived to 120 in folklore belief. Clearly, Mario will too.

TheNamedSavior fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 22, 2020

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I've spent way too long figuring out what the political situation in the Mushroom Kingdom must be, and the Whomp King is a loving TRIP. Because you're right, the Whomps have to be a slave class having an uprising, because he's the only character in the entire series who's both the 'sentient stone' kinda character, and has any claim of actual authority.

I seriously believe that you could write up a remarkably consistent outline of Mushroom Kingdom politics with enough research. The only thing you have to concede is that for the most part, royal titles don't apply like we'd think we do. A king is a ruler, but not necessarily of a monarchy or geographic area.

Polygon did a very in-depth video on the military hierarchy and how mario is a war criminal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPY9R_yyiEM

Also this image explains some of the other stuff in the Iceberg pic

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The Wet Dry World town being some assets they threw in there that they were already using in Zelda 64 was one of those things I thought everybody else already realized and that's why it was never brought up when talking about "Mario 64 secrets" for the past twenty-something years.

Edit: Also those houses you can see in the background of the Melee stage are totally from some version of Mother 64 HAL worked on before it was scrapped.

Z64 wasn't a thing until well after M64, I thought?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Zamujasa posted:

Simultaneous dev, OoT just took a lot longer to come out, iirc.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

Z64 started development alongside M64, though it was released 2 years later. The earliest footage is from SpaceWorld 1995, consisting of 12 seconds of Link fighting Dark Link while looking like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DyrfUPY884

Further reading

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Procrastine posted:

MIPS throwing/Yellow cap switch: idk lol
MIPS was the name of the rabbit in the basement that gives you bonus stars if you catch him

according to miyamoto they intended to have an animation where mario throws him by the ears, but it was removed before launch

putting MIPS down and picking him up in a particular way lets you clip through doors, which is one of the only ways you can go out of bounds in the castle basement
there's some dots to connect there, but they don't really add up to anything

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

me irl

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Welp, everything is on fire, people are jumping for the life boats, and it looks like things might be at an end soon.

I just want to say that, this thread is what got me to join these forums in the first place. This was the best goddamn thread of the entire website, and if the plug gets pulled then this is what I will miss the most. Y'all are sons of bitches and I'm glad I have minorly contributed among some goddamn legends.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Just when I was about to continue Rhapsody (Red-edition)!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I love this dumb thread, please don't make me join the odd header or Easter egg hunter discord lol

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
If anyone's interested, I've uploaded an archive of this thread here. (Pure HTML; any images are linked, not included in the zip.)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

hi i only really lurked but this was one of the best threads on SA imo

ill always fondly remember the explorations of hondo's maps

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

SomeJazzyRat posted:

This was the best goddamn thread of the entire website, and if the plug gets pulled then this is what I will miss the most.

I think I might be in this same boat. If this isn't my favorite thread it's a strong contender.

edit: This thread has helped inspire a lot of the video game urban legend creepy pasta poo poo in my writing, and writing is what I do for a living. In that way this thread has tangibly affected my life

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I have enjoyed this thread and this dumbass forum for years now.

You guys are still the best.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

If anyone's interested, I've uploaded an archive of this thread here. (Pure HTML; any images are linked, not included in the zip.)
you're a peach.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

rye on white
May 5, 2013

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

RIPSA

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Put me down as another person who has enjoyed this thread more than real vidya games for years

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
This thread can totally sustain a discord server of its own. It doesn't really cover the same stuff as the 'real' servers like Oddheader, since we're also just as happy to talk about weird creepypastas, hoaxes, and the like.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Captain_Indigo posted:

Just when I was about to continue Rhapsody (Red-edition)!

Don't joke about that it is my favourite :(

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

STILL THE BEST
LOWTAX IS A gently caress
1973 DEAD THREADS

nota
Dec 9, 2013
I also joined the forum so I could keep reading this thread when the forums kept locking non-members out (I think because of the Danganrompa LP's popularity ?).
I only lurk a few threads here and there so the latest announcement completely caught me off guard. Is there a summary of what has been going on ?
It kinda felt like these forums would always be around so I'm kinda gutted to see they are in danger.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Obeah posted:

Posting for Nite Crew's stumbling into this

:siren:Primer/Refresher for Anyone Interested:siren:

This is/was an admin and marketing consultant for SA who, for a time, lived with Lowtax after meeting him during the collapse of his previous marriage.

She has since retracted her claims, though the veracity of this retraction is... suspect for a variety of reasons.

Warning: very uncomfortable video.
https://www.facebook.com/1503357396/videos/10216979537629666/

A major part of the skepticism is the unhealthy relationships Lowtax has had with the women in his life over the years, and his constant shifting of blame anytime anything relating to them comes to the forum's attention. Perhaps the most damning examples are the very, very recent (as of this year) abuse claims and custody issues Lowtax has been contending with.

Lowtax posted a large thread detailing his side of the story. Anyone looking to question him was... not treated well. The same went for anyone donating to the GoFundMe of his wife (well-liked user LadyAmbien), who had taken refuge in a women's shelter.

When goons finally came to their senses and were free to wonder what the gently caress was up with this bullshit, mods/admins involved had the following things to say.

Look, a primary part of why we probated and banned people for contesting Lowtax's claims of a wife conspiracy were to protect those wives' right to privacy in the thread where their abusive ex-husband repeatedly and confidently posted details regarding their private lives and legal stituation.

And Burt's very respectable response!

It is not yet apparent if the forums will be deleted, censored, sold, or handed over. Existing offsites, discord groups, etc. are popping in to welcome new people. New ones are being created. There isn't much consensus as to which of these are the most likely or preferable outcomes. A lot of us are just wanting to say our peace and will play it by ear afterwards. I expect to be banned in all likelihood.

Do what you want. My advice is this: unsubscribe from Lowtax's patreon, stop spending money on the forums completely and most importantly:

:siren: Donate! To RAINN! :siren:

https://donate.rainn.org/donate
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929249

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

this thread has a better ending than petscop

nota
Dec 9, 2013
Thanks a lot for the run down !
It makes me pretty sad that the actions of one lovely person may result in the end of the forums, I hope something can be done to avoid this.

For windows user looking to archive their favorite threads, I made a wget script.
First you'll need to get wget and run it from the folder you want your thread saved to (each page will be a file so one folder per thread).
Here's a tuto I found : https://builtvisible.com/download-your-website-with-wget/
Here's the command line script :

FOR /L %G IN (A,1,B) DO wget --html-extension -np https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1111111^&userid=0^&perpage=40^&pagenumber=%G

In (A,1,B), A is the first page you want to save and B the last (1 is the increment).
Just edit the threadid with the one you want to save, you can also edit the number of posts per page.
Sadly I could'n't figure out how to make the page links work since they contain a question mark (if you can batch edit the html to replace it with an @ the links should work).
This won't log you in but there are ways to add cookie data to wget.

EDIT : To add cookies just put the site's cookies.txt in the folder you're using for wget (there are extensions to extract cookies from websites) and use the following command (don't forget to edit the relevant fields) :

FOR /L %G IN (A,1,B) DO wget --load-cookies=cookies.txt --html-extension -np https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1111111^&userid=0^&perpage=40^&pagenumber=%G

nota fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 25, 2020

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This thread has been great and recently got me to fire up Mario 64 DS for the first time since like 2004.

Crux
Apr 9, 2007

Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry...

Sorry.

This thread has been a ride. I thought all the derails over the years would have gotten it gassed. It really is STILL THE BEST 1973

no mom very hungry
Oct 5, 2004

You are getting sleepy...

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Love this thread and this still makes me smile everytime I remember it.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo