Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Not really.

I've had some people recommend the Locke Lamora books as a sort of spiritual successor to Mat's storyline/characterization but I found them to be pretty obnoxious.

Maybe other folks can think of something that actually hits the mark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Honestly Conan kinda fits.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://youtu.be/-q6KWnwsZuc

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mat Cauthon posted:

Not really.

I've had some people recommend the Locke Lamora books as a sort of spiritual successor to Mat's storyline/characterization but I found them to be pretty obnoxious.

Maybe other folks can think of something that actually hits the mark?

I agree with this post.

Ummmmmm.

Maybe the wraith squadron star wars novels, I kinda feel like Wes has some of the same trickster but awesome person vibe going on?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Zore posted:

Honestly Conan kinda fits.

I really like the RJ Conan books and I need to rebuy them at some point because I lost my old copies in a move like a decade ago. They definitely scratch that itch of "rogueish character keeps finding himself in caught up in world-changing adventures, entangled with powerful women, and elevated as a leader of men when all he really wants to do is drink and gamble in comfort" and they're entertaining stories to boot. Plus 90% less weird racism compared to the originals!

I never made the connection in my mind to it being akin to Mat's character because, well, it's Conan. But that checks out to me after giving it a thought and you could certainly do worse.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mean, some people might not want to hear it but mat is basically the most stereotypical fantasy character out of the group, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find a book with a protagonist like him compared to the others

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

i mean, some people might not want to hear it but mat is basically the most stereotypical fantasy character out of the group, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find a book with a protagonist like him compared to the others

Tell me more. Like, seriously, I've never heard this.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If you are talking about Rand I’d understand.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

:mad:

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
Mat gives me vague Silk from the Belgariad vibes based on my very hazy recollections.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

silvergoose posted:

Tell me more. Like, seriously, I've never heard this.

rogueish womanizer who has a relative heart of gold and a collection of magical doohickeys? hell, i could throw harry dresden in there for the most part off the top of my head if someone wants some kinda trashy urban fantasy.

like i'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's just that it'd probably be easier to find that than something along the lines of rand going bugshit insane in a fairly well-done way over the course of a series.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I understand what you’re saying but Mat has a something something more I can’t quite pinpoint. He’s kinda like Han Solo but not really. Maybe it’s the insane luck that’s manifested instead of just baked into the character so they can’t die.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mean i probably sounded a bit glib at first about it, i'll admit to that. if anything, mat excelling at his role is due to jordan being really good at that sort of sweeping mythological setting which lets it breathe a bit.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Invalid Validation posted:

I understand what you’re saying but Mat has a something something more I can’t quite pinpoint. He’s kinda like Han Solo but not really. Maybe it’s the insane luck that’s manifested instead of just baked into the character so they can’t die.

Mat constantly running from his destiny and getting wrapped up in it anyway is part of it. He's a simple guy with simple desires and ends up married to the empress of an entire continent. What's more when it happens he denies that it has any significance, and his friends have to explain to him that yes, actually it does. The other aspect of his character was that story someone (I think Moiraine?) tells about another "dissolute" lazy character that just liked to play pranks and drink and gamble - they died running into a burning building multiple times and saving every kid in there they could. He has a huge sense of duty and responsibility and hides it, even from himself, by just pretending to be a goofy lazy git. Mat is funny not because he tells jokes but because he doesn't understand himself, isn't understood by anyone else, and just gets constantly wrapped up in bizarre improbable scrapes and manages to get out of them by even more improbable means. He's a trainwreck that you can't look away from because you know somehow it will all work out well for him.

It's completely tonally different, but Rincewind from Discworld kind of reminds me of that aspect: he's constantly running away from his problems (turning minor inconveniences into major disasters) and ends up becoming a big drat hero by accident.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It reminds me a little bit of Flashman. A villainous cowardly bully who spends most of his life trying to escape danger, getting dragged into it despite his best efforts, and somehow coming out the other side being hailed as a hero entirely by accident.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
poo poo to go back to Discworld he has the same appeal as Vimes does, men who don't want to deal with this poo poo but it just keeps happening and damnit I can do it right so I'll get it done so I can just end this day and get back to reading a book to my kid.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

TGG posted:

poo poo to go back to Discworld he has the same appeal as Vimes does, men who don't want to deal with this poo poo but it just keeps happening and damnit I can do it right so I'll get it done so I can just end this day and get back to reading a book to my kid.

Except that Vimes has plenty of chances to step aside. He even retires once. But at the end of the day he's a copper, always has been a copper, and will die a copper and get buried in Small Gods with the other coppers. Vimes grumbles more when he's away from work, when he's not patrolling the streets he knows, than when he is.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

A train wreck is a good summation. Probably helps he’s not a douchebag and the respect he garners is earned. Guy saves a small army from being decimated on multiple occasions, of course they would want to follow him into the pit of hell.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I've been trying get get a reread going both in anticipation of the series and because I haven't read these books since high school and fell off before the last few books came out. I vaguely remember all this awesome stuff you guys talk about happening later on but these early chapters in the two rivers are really difficult for me to get through. I don't think I want to skip ahead, but I just wanted to air this complaint to help me get over the hump.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if it helps, it really starts kicking in once you get to the second book. the first is a little too...eh, compared to the rest.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Mat calls back a bit to older "lovable rogue" archetypes like Corwin from Amber. The great general part is tougher to find parallels for off the top of my head.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Johnny Joestar posted:

if it helps, it really starts kicking in once you get to the second book. the first is a little too...eh, compared to the rest.

I will always defend the stuff on the road to Camelyn, it was just so suspenseful the first time I read it

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If Mat had any self-awareness about his skills he'd be insufferable to read. Can you imagine if he was arguing battle strategy from a "you should listen because I'm awesome" perspective instead of "you should listen because it will work and yours won't"? It would be like early Galad, before you get the perspective chapters that show he really sincerely does believe all that honor stuff he's spouting.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

Mat constantly running from his destiny and getting wrapped up in it anyway is part of it. He's a simple guy with simple desires and ends up married to the empress of an entire continent. What's more when it happens he denies that it has any significance, and his friends have to explain to him that yes, actually it does. The other aspect of his character was that story someone (I think Moiraine?) tells about another "dissolute" lazy character that just liked to play pranks and drink and gamble - they died running into a burning building multiple times and saving every kid in there they could.

It was Siuan, btw; reminding him that, yes, even if he doesn't want to, he's gotta be at the Last Battle to toot the brass.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

silvergoose posted:

It was Siuan, btw; reminding him that, yes, even if he doesn't want to, he's gotta be at the Last Battle to toot the brass.

That was a tidy little character reset. Mat was kind of a turd in the first two books (for good reason). Positioning that scene at the beginning of Book 3 was a great way to frame Mat’s character going forward.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mat in tar valon was several top notch scenes: him inhaling food without noticing, that scene with Siuan, quarterstaff fight, gambling fever, chicken with Thom.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
yeah I'm really looking forward to convalescent mat in the show

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Cant post a link right now, but they have announced casting for a bunch of the Two Rivers fol k.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Here's the tweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/WOTonPrime/status/1275842455967985670

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Yeah I'm digging all of those. Abell Cauthon looks like a dude that would always be slyly coming ahead in any deal.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
My first thought was "Now there's a man who I'd believe is the best horse trader in the Two Rivers."

The Al'Veres look great too.

They all look great.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mat's da is also the quarterstaff champion of the Two Rivers and I could see that, too.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Invalid Validation posted:

A train wreck is a good summation. Probably helps he’s not a douchebag and the respect he garners is earned. Guy saves a small army from being decimated on multiple occasions, of course they would want to follow him into the pit of hell.

There was a neat comparison somewhere, where someone was talking about this amazing general whose entire army would do the same, except the guy was bugfuck insane. Like, ordered them to cut down a forest for looking at him funny and then ordering them to bury the trees with full honors that all of the army went along with because at the end of the day he gave a poo poo if they lived or died and always won.

Mat's kind of like that without the insanity. He really does give a poo poo about his soldiers and wants them to live and so far always wins. Of course an army would follow him to hell and back, the other generals are just fine with throwing dudes to their deaths for honor and glory, Mat's trying to win so they can go home and relax.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Jordan must have really liked Mat cause pretty much everyone in his orbit was fun to read about.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Khizan posted:

Mat's da is also the quarterstaff champion of the Two Rivers and I could see that, too.

This doesn’t get mentioned enough, but in hindsight just imagine how insane he must have been. Between tam blademaster al’thor and the other two rivers warrior families that turn out to be surprisingly deeply trained when the goldeneyes stuff kicks off, the two rivers annual quarter staff tournament probably feels more like something out of Cradle.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

The Seanchan are so awful. I had forgotten that they had (Knife of Dreams): started mass production of forkroot so they could systemically weed out and enslave every woman who could channel. A lot of their culture is cool and unique and then the rest of it is just grinding dehumanization and slavery.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah they really are.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

They also quite literally were the deciding factor in the Last Battle.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They just get away with slavery and there is nothing in place for them to stop after the last battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

I haven’t reached it yet on the re-read, but Aviendha’s second trip to Rhuidean was such a bummer re: the Seanchan. I’d guess Jordan believed that incremental change would be necessary to move the Seanchan on the issue and that starting a war with them would just cause them to entrench further.