Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

landgrabber posted:

sometimes I don't mind ATP just because marco being like, a weird rich guy and just bitching at poo poo turned him into actually being fairly critical of apple a lot of the time. he is pretty reductive about seemingly random things, which is frustrating.

He once said that he never uses joins in sql because "joins don’t scale" which is incredibly loving stupid, and I hope no one impressionable listened to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

japtor posted:

They've actually been there for a while w/the X chips :ssh:

(the regular consumer chips, not the larger die Xeons and such)

The one on Ars is...ok enough. Definitely got a bit of the Apple echo chamber thing going on but like, relatively tame and normal compared to any of the Apple only sites. Feels more like general nerds that use Apple stuff rather than crazy fans.

It’s not even “crazy fans” because generally I’ve found Apple fans to be way more reasonable and even-handed than your average non-fan gives them credit for. And the butterfly keyboards and MBP overheating issues were widely and openly despised in the broader fan community.

My point is that many of them are indistinguishable from “gamers” outside of the hardware they fetishize. They have the same opinions and act the same way. A lot of them are angry boys or dumb chud middle aged men. They love their shiny toys and gently caress everything else that gets in the way. They’re just as prone to stupidity and racism and other types of toxic groupthink.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I'm feeling like it's time to replace my 27" Cinema Display (not even Thunderbolt) with the Pro Display XDR. I absolutely do not need a reference-monitor-quality display, and it would be a tremendous waste of money for me, but dammit I still want it. I can live with the lack of a camera on it, but I hate to lose the speakers built into my 27" Cinema.

I haven't had discrete computer speakers in uh... a very long time. What's everyone recommend that's on the medium-high end? It'd be great if they were entirely USB-C, but I so far haven't found such a thing.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

gregday posted:

I'm feeling like it's time to replace my 27" Cinema Display (not even Thunderbolt) with the Pro Display XDR. I absolutely do not need a reference-monitor-quality display, and it would be a tremendous waste of money for me, but dammit I still want it. I can live with the lack of a camera on it, but I hate to lose the speakers built into my 27" Cinema.

I haven't had discrete computer speakers in uh... a very long time. What's everyone recommend that's on the medium-high end? It'd be great if they were entirely USB-C, but I so far haven't found such a thing.

I really like the Bowers and Wilkins MM-1 computer speakers but they’re not manufactured anymore from what I can tell.

I have a lovely Logitech set that does okay. Only reason I haven’t replaced is I spend most of my time with headphones on.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

When I looked at price/performance for desktop speakers, I landed on these: https://audioengineusa.com/shop/wirelessspeakers/a2-wireless-computer-speakers/

Mine are also labelled A2+ but they are not Bluetooth/wireless so I'm not sure what's going on there. They get almost universal praise online, and I really like mine. I use the USB input, it's not USB-C. Don't make a buying decision based on USB-C -- powered USB speakers are all about the DAC/amp & the speakers themselves! Who cares about the port?

But I would also caution against the Pro Display XDR if you don't need it. There are so many fantastic monitors you can buy and use the savings to buy some kickass speakers.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

gregday posted:

You could get the Pro Display XDR (so long as yob is paying for it :v: ) or get a decent large Dell monitor, then get one of the HD grade Logitech cameras (Apple sells one specially made to match the XDR)

or if you wanna go full grape nuts, get a tripod and a recent Canon / Nikon camera and hook it up via USB and matching software to give you the absolute best cam quality you can get..

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Apple gonna succeed in one or two generations what Microsoft has been trying to do since 2012 with the Surface line.

Where Microsoft screwed up was the severe restrictions their first foray into the ARM world had.

When Windows for ARM was first introduced (called Windows RT), it was artificially limited to "metro" (now called "Modern") apps only, except for a handful of exceptions (like Office). Apps could only be downloaded and installed from the MS store. Every app had to be digitally signed by a Microsoft specific cert, which you only got if your app was approved to the MS Store. And it had zero x86 emulation, so apps had to be recompiled to work at all. This is quite the departure from a platform that has generally always been open. Developers didn't want to deal with it. And it just pissed off consumers who bought a "Windows" tablet only to discover they couldn't actually run any of their apps on it. Who the hell wants a device with such restrictions? Very few people apparently.

They are trying again with Windows 10 on ARM. It has none of the restrictions that Windows RT did. It is a complete version of Windows, just compiled for ARM. Has no restrictions on app source. And can run x86 apps. The only restriction it currently has is x86 emulation is limited to 32-bit x86 apps only. 64-bit x86 apps don't work. Regardless it doesn't seem to be taking off all that well either.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

looks like this forum will not exist once the arm macs are released ....

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pivo posted:

When I looked at price/performance for desktop speakers, I landed on these: https://audioengineusa.com/shop/wirelessspeakers/a2-wireless-computer-speakers/

Mine are also labelled A2+ but they are not Bluetooth/wireless so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Yep, same with mine. They are great, and make me wish I had a bigger space to use them in, and/or more gaming time without kids asleep down the hall.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pivo posted:

Mine are also labelled A2+ but they are not Bluetooth/wireless so I'm not sure what's going on there. They get almost universal praise online, and I really like mine. I use the USB input, it's not USB-C. Don't make a buying decision based on USB-C -- powered USB speakers are all about the DAC/amp & the speakers themselves! Who cares about the port?

But I would also caution against the Pro Display XDR if you don't need it. There are so many fantastic monitors you can buy and use the savings to buy some kickass speakers.

You have the A2+ speakers

https://audioengineusa.com/shop/uncategorized/a2-plus-desktop-speakers/

The A2+ Wireless are a little newer and like $20 more for the bluetooth.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I have a mac mini coming in the post and have realised that my work monitor (CB280HK) doesn't have HDMI2.0 - just regular HDMI, DP, miniDP and DVI. I want to run it at 4k/60hz but I'm having trouble figuring out what the best cables to get are. 60hz is a must.

Should I be looking for a USB-C > Displayport, or an HDMI2.0 > Displayport, or some other thing? I already have a bunch of HDMI/DP cables but i feel like a single cable is better than an adapter...

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

well why not posted:

I have a mac mini coming in the post and have realised that my work monitor (CB280HK) doesn't have HDMI2.0 - just regular HDMI, DP, miniDP and DVI. I want to run it at 4k/60hz but I'm having trouble figuring out what the best cables to get are. 60hz is a must.

Should I be looking for a USB-C > Displayport, or an HDMI2.0 > Displayport, or some other thing? I already have a bunch of HDMI/DP cables but i feel like a single cable is better than an adapter...

Idk the specifics of that monitor but I have to use a usb-c to DisplayPort on my mini to drive a 1440p monitor at 144hz.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It's been a while since I ripped a DVD, so I was a bit taken aback when my 2019 MBP running Mojave failed to get any results with either Handbrake or Mac The Ripper, which previously between them had a 99%+ success rate - they wouldn't even properly read the disc in the external drive. Did some checking and found HB had taken out the essential libdvdcss resource a while ago. Found how to put it back in via Terminal, still no joy.

Further checking told me that Apple apparently sabotaged use of libdvdcss as a system level! To the point that even a DVD player like VLC won't work - it's Apple's own very basic player or nothing. Since I want to rip things to watch on my phone, this is not exactly great.

I've seen some recommendations for MakeMKV, but this would mean then having to retranscode to MP4. Any goon suggestions?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Grab a hundred dollar office refurb Dell from a computer surplus store, and give the finger to Tim Apple and the MPAA.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Payndz posted:

It's been a while since I ripped a DVD, so I was a bit taken aback when my 2019 MBP running Mojave failed to get any results with either Handbrake or Mac The Ripper, which previously between them had a 99%+ success rate - they wouldn't even properly read the disc in the external drive. Did some checking and found HB had taken out the essential libdvdcss resource a while ago. Found how to put it back in via Terminal, still no joy.

Further checking told me that Apple apparently sabotaged use of libdvdcss as a system level! To the point that even a DVD player like VLC won't work - it's Apple's own very basic player or nothing. Since I want to rip things to watch on my phone, this is not exactly great.

I've seen some recommendations for MakeMKV, but this would mean then having to retranscode to MP4. Any goon suggestions?

ptp

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not really sure if this is a hardware problem or software issue but I figured I'd ask here first.

I have a late 2017 15 MBP with a dGPU Radeon Pro 555 with 2gigs and I'm not sure the computer is actually using it? I was trying to run pretty low power game and it was really sluggish even bumping things down as low as possible. Is there a way to force the computer to use the dGPU? I know the 555 isn't amazing or anything but it should be better than the HD630 that's for sure.

I have the MBP plugged in but if I look at the system info it says its using the HD630.

Anyone have any advice here?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MarcusSA posted:

I'm not really sure if this is a hardware problem or software issue but I figured I'd ask here first.

I have a late 2017 15 MBP with a dGPU Radeon Pro 555 with 2gigs and I'm not sure the computer is actually using it? I was trying to run pretty low power game and it was really sluggish even bumping things down as low as possible. Is there a way to force the computer to use the dGPU? I know the 555 isn't amazing or anything but it should be better than the HD630 that's for sure.

I have the MBP plugged in but if I look at the system info it says its using the HD630.

It should be switching, although I think there are apps that let you forcibly choose one GPU vs the other. Have you checked System Info while the game is running? If I do normal poo poo on my 2013 it sticks to the Intel graphics but if I run, like, Obra Dinn or something and switch into System Info it's always using the 750m.

:smugdog: That's right nerds, last of the Nvidia cards on Mac and it sucks

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

gregday posted:

haven't had discrete computer speakers in uh... a very long time. What's everyone recommend that's on the medium-high end? It'd be great if they were entirely USB-C, but I so far haven't found such a thing.
The A2s posted are a fairly safe one to go with. If you want USB audio but want/need to use USB-C, I guess get a B-C cable or use a C adapter somewhere. The straight sound/price metric isn't necessarily great, you're basically paying a premium for the combination of the sound at that size and the aesthetics. It's slim pickings if you want good sounding small speakers that look nice. If you have the space and don't mind larger speakers it opens up the options considerably, but I can't vouch for any of them myself.

Other threads if you want more reading: The quick audio questions megathread, and PC speakers - need a recommendation (which basically turned into a PC speaker megathread)

Basic advice in those threads is usually some bookshelf pair and amp, unless you need/want small speakers...then it's just kinda :shrug: A2 by default. If you want kickin bass you can add a sub too.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
With my DVD-ripping problem, a combination of MakeMKV and Handbrake seems to work. Bit of a faff having to transcode everything twice, though. It's almost as if Apple has a vested interest in making copying media you already own into another format as difficult as possible, or something...

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Payndz posted:

I’ve seen suggestions that Apple’s system integrity protection is responsible for this, not mustache-twirling efforts to stomp on user freedom. You can install it with homebrew or compile it yourself at the command line. Also: if you find a libdvdcss installer, see if you can crack open the installer, find the libdvdcss-2 file, and put it in the same directory where Handbrake is installed. That works fine in Windows and might here as well.

From personal experience I’ll say that MakeMKV ripping is tedious. But on the plus side you can rip a mountain of discs at once, then sic Handbrake on the movies in a big batch overnight or a long weekend. It’s not the worst thing, but it is a different workflow.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 26, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Payndz posted:

With my DVD-ripping problem, a combination of MakeMKV and Handbrake seems to work. Bit of a faff having to transcode everything twice, though. It's almost as if Apple has a vested interest in making copying media you already own into another format as difficult as possible, or something...

MakeMKV doesn't transcode anything. It literally rips the video (mpeg-2) and audio (usually AC-2) as-is and puts the result into an MKV container. So you're only transcoding once if you convert that to mpeg-4/mp4 with Handbrake.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I would say that DVD ripping becoming a pain is more collateral damage than anything else. I can't imagine it's something they'd test before releasing an OS. I'm more annoyed about the removal of burning within Disk Utility.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 26, 2020

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Not to mention a lot of DVDs have additional copy protection that prevents a lot of regular DVD rippers from working at all. Last I messed around with DVD ripping on Mac, I don't think the Ripper had any support for handling those extra ones so it would just fail. I generally had to do all my DVD ripping in Windows with the Slysoft "AnyDVD" software that would patch all that crap out on the fly so any DVD ripping app could work.

I think there used to be another one called RipIt? Pretty sure it was the one that had the ability to get around the extra copy protection stuff.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Hasturtium posted:

Also: if you find a libdvdcss installer, see if you can crack open the installer, find the libdvdcss-2 file, and put it in the same directory where Handbrake is installed. That works fine in Windows and might here as well.

If that doesn’t work, try /usr/local/lib/libdvdcss.2.dylib; that’s hard-coded into Handbrake as a fallback in case the hardened runtime is being used.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

stevewm posted:

Not to mention a lot of DVDs have additional copy protection that prevents a lot of regular DVD rippers from working at all. Last I messed around with DVD ripping on Mac, I don't think the Ripper had any support for handling those extra ones so it would just fail. I generally had to do all my DVD ripping in Windows with the Slysoft "AnyDVD" software that would patch all that crap out on the fly so any DVD ripping app could work.

I think there used to be another one called RipIt? Pretty sure it was the one that had the ability to get around the extra copy protection stuff.

It’s an arms race between DVD manufacturing and users over the success of casual disc ripping. Upgrading to the latest version of libdvdcss every few months is a good idea if you’re still acquiring discs for ripping. MakeMKV is also a good scorched earth option since it literally just grabs audio, video, and caption streams from a disc and thumps them out to local MKV files, though it doesn’t transcode them in the process. I admit that I’m the kind of person who finds a good solution and rides it until it dies, so other options are also worth exploring.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 26, 2020

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

nvm

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm still laughing at the idea that the Apple Boogey Man is actively preventing people from decoding DVDs

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

Try Fairmount? I can't remember if you still need to get the css lib separately since it doesn't use VLC's anymore

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
My refurb 27" iMac came in this week. Petty sweet.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MarcusSA posted:

Plug in an external monitor

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I used to care about ripping DVDs but I realized DVD video looks like poo poo and deleted it all.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I've only kept those DVD films/shows that are simply impossible to find anywhere else.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mu Zeta posted:

I used to care about ripping DVDs but I realized DVD video looks like poo poo and deleted it all.

Are they all 480p? I don’t even watch YouTube videos below 720p!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes and I used to do the really time consuming two-pass thing. I can see ripping Blu rays but DVD quality is worthless and looks bad even on a phone. Maybe if it's just for keeping kids busy or something.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Admit it though the first time you popped in The Matrix in 1999 that was a loving magical DVD moment

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

480p rips are under a gig and good for squeezing onto a kids 16gb iPad

Amstrat
Feb 16, 2011
The Matrix was the first disc for my mate's early-ish DVD player, and it took us half and hour to realise we hadn't screwed up the connections and it was supposed to be green

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

fun fact: the original DVD release of the first Matrix movie wasn't tinted green, they only did that when they re-released it after the sequels came out

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Last Chance posted:

fun fact: the original DVD release of the first Matrix movie wasn't tinted green, they only did that when they re-released it after the sequels came out

I thought they’d shot the film through lens filters to make the Matrix scenes look green in the original release and DVD, then went back and digitally color graded the source footage to make it look more like the sequels for subsequent releases. Could be wrong, but there was a fair bit of controversy back then.

DVD is pretty solid for a late ‘90s home video format. MPEG-2 encoder efficiency has improved by around a factor of four since the early days of the format, and the combo of better telecine equipment and digital intermediates and shoots have made it much easier to get quality source material to work with. Other than being softer and somewhat more grainy than Blu-ray a DVD’s a decent baseline way to watch a movie. Getting a decent image on a Handbrake transcode is its own art, but if you’re not pinching the bitrate to death and are willing to use a high quality slower preset you can get good results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://9to5mac.com/2020/06/27/ubiquiti/

Basically, if some managers at Apple had listened to one good Wi-Fi engineer, I'd bet Airports would still be a business for Apple..

I do remember that one feature of the OG Apple Airports was a slider in Airport Utility that let you select broadcast power in terms of percent.. maybe that's the best Pera could do under unimaginative management.