Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Bethesda never doing tribals in fallout is the best idea they have had. Holy smokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
What, you mean having the only non-white party member in the first two games be a guy who has a magical bone through his nose is problematic

(I bet I am forgetting someone else and I bet that someone else has their own issues though)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Quarex posted:

What, you mean having the only non-white party member in the first two games be a guy who has a magical bone through his nose is problematic

(I bet I am forgetting someone else and I bet that someone else has their own issues though)

In Fallout? :randstare: you can' t blame that on Bethesda, if true

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Randaconda posted:

In Fallout? :randstare: you can' t blame that on Bethesda, if true
Oh I know, I was agreeing that Bethesda was wise to not go there.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dr. Quarex posted:

mutants aren't white theyre green

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Yeah there is a lot of horrible poo poo in fallout 2. I'm glad bethesda has the IP now. Jesus

Edit: take the journey with me.
https://youtu.be/p4hdqC9-KAg

You can play the chosen one as a pedophile and/or rapist

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 23, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I can't get FO76 to launch on my laptop and I'm out of town how the gently caress am I supposed to get bullion goddamn dell piece of poo poo

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Whatever happens in the coming hours and days, we can still look back fondly upon Monster Brew.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/fallout/status/1276092797775470593

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

one of my favorite Bethesda games for sure, hope they do a remaster at some point

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

frajaq posted:

one of my favorite Bethesda games for sure, hope they do a remaster at some point

Nah, there's still mobile ports of Skyrim to get to. (that still has bugs from the 11-11-11 release)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

About half way through a LP full story of fallout 2 and I have some thoughts.

Beyond the main story being good, fallout 1 is a glitchy unfinished mess. That includes the main story being unfinished!

Fallout 2 so far feels like the CRPG equivalent of a bethesda fallout game. You loot everything. Everything is a fetch quest. Your companions are glitchy. Cut content everywhere including content thatvis needed to make sense of various bits in the game. The number of times the fallout Bible has to be reference.

Maybe it is everybody's rose colored glasses, but I can firmly say Fallout 3, NV, and 4 are all worthy successors of fallout 1 and 2 with Fallout 76 being the most accurate sequel in terms of story, scale, and glitchiness.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 25, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Just to be clear, you're basing all this on Oxhorn videos? ("the number of times the fallout Bible has to be reference" ???)

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Do you not loot everything, have glitchy companions and do fetch quests in Fallout 1? 2 is just an expanded 1 with worse bugs like the phantom car trunk and a whole lot more goofy poo poo like Hubologists and Modoc.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Yes to both of you. The fallout bible thing is just funny. Having to reference outside material to get the whole story. Reminds me of Halo and Sergent Johnson being alive.

What I am saying is the bethesda Fallouts are proper Fallouts.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 25, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mr Hootington posted:

Having to reference outside material to get the whole story.

What are you referring to?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Fallout 1, 2, Tactics, BOS, 3, NV, Shelter, 4 and 76 are literally the same thing

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

frajaq posted:

Fallout 1, 2, Tactics, BOS, 3, NV, Shelter, 4 and 76, Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim are literally the same thing

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Bethesda put up the preview of the Fallout 76 seasons system today. It will be in patch 20 on June 30th. The lunchboxes have arrived. I do like some of the skins and CAMP items. 

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/seasons?utm_medium=facebook&utm_content=Bethesda%20Game%20Studios&utm_source=Community&sf124495064=1

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
I'm guessing there's no way of getting specific prefixes on a weapon outside of player vendors?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Four-Eyes posted:

I'm guessing there's no way of getting specific prefixes on a weapon outside of player vendors?
You are correct. Somebody in the thread earlier posted a data dump of a player's research into drop rates, and the results showed that drop rates for everything in the game are identical (e.g. the change of any given prefix is 100%/(Total # of Prefixes In the Game)).

Mr Hootington posted:

Bethesda put up the preview of the Fallout 76 seasons system today. It will be in patch 20 on June 30th. The lunchboxes have arrived. I do like some of the skins and CAMP items. 
https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/seasons?utm_medium=facebook&utm_content=Bethesda%20Game%20Studios&utm_source=Community&sf124495064=1
At first I thought 150 atoms to purchase a single Season Pass level sounded crazy expensive, but if you purchased atoms at the $40 bundle and factor in the ~1500 atoms you get from the pass through ranking up, it comes out to $100 to purchase every rank and avoid the grind. Personally this still sounds ridiculous that anybody would do it, but it's on par with how most other games price the same mechanic in season passes.

I'm still waiting for the game to eventually break down enough that they re-release it as a Single Player experience with every asset ever developed for it included in the base game (so I expect to get back into the game in 2030).

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 25, 2020

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
Nuts, I'll just stick with my instigating rifle a while longer.

I really, really want an instigating bow, but keep getting mutated pistols and stuff. Uggggggh.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So during the game period you score points to increase rank or you spend 150 Atoms for each level? But some of the rewards for each level are...150 Atoms? So you can just spend 150 Atoms and get 150 Atoms?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

So during the game period you score points to increase rank or you spend 150 Atoms for each level? But some of the rewards for each level are...150 Atoms? So you can just spend 150 Atoms and get 150 Atoms?

Yes. Battlepasses work like this.

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
Well I'll be damned, you can completely eliminate fall damage. I didn't think you could stack individual bonuses, ha.

Hurling myself from very high things is now a pastime. Sod fast travel.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That's why I always carry at least one power armor frame.

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
I barely use PA, if ever. Loved it in 4 but here in 76 it just doesn't gel with my bow/stealth build. I could focus on ballistic weapons instead and benefit from the increased protection, but chances are if I'm taking damage I have screwed up immensely and will be dying soon regardless.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I never used PA in 4 mostly because the camera shake is nausea inducing, but also because of simple poo poo like using crafting benches and terminals in front of chairs.

In 76 I only carry it around for stuff like nuke zones or tougher public events.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
My character kinda sucks at level 23 and I'm out of almost all my ammo, and when I do have ammo my guns hardly seem to do any damage and I'm really tempted to just go with a new character. Should I just reroll?
Here's my current SPECIAL stats

What should I be pumping?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Danith posted:

My character kinda sucks at level 23 and I'm out of almost all my ammo, and when I do have ammo my guns hardly seem to do any damage and I'm really tempted to just go with a new character. Should I just reroll?

What guns do you enjoy? You should start focusing on the type of guns you like to use.

4 more intelligence and 5 more luck has you covered for crafting and mutations when you hit 50. If you are going with a gun build make sure to grab gunsmith with the next 4 intelligence. Sometimes you should just put a point in a category for later and grab a card from a different category.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Mr Hootington posted:

What guns do you enjoy? You should start focusing on the type of guns you like to use.

4 more intelligence and 5 more luck has you covered for crafting and mutations when you hit 50. If you are going with a gun build make sure to grab gunsmith with the next 4 intelligence. Sometimes you should just put a point in a category for later and grab a card from a different category.

I like shotguns, but with the ammo problem I've been having with seemingly the whole time leveling, I haven't really had a favorite gun. Pretty much just looking for an excuse to start over with a good build. Searching on youtube, most of the build guides are around a year old, are those still valid if I decide to restart? I'm thinking melee may be best because then I would never have to worry about ammo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Danith posted:

I like shotguns, but with the ammo problem I've been having with seemingly the whole time leveling, I haven't really had a favorite gun. Pretty much just looking for an excuse to start over with a good build. Searching on youtube, most of the build guides are around a year old, are those still valid if I decide to restart? I'm thinking melee may be best because then I would never have to worry about ammo.

I use this site: https://fed76.info/

Nothing has really changed with perks and builds since those old videos. The big thing with guns is you may primary shotguns, but you should carry another backup gun that is for trash mobs. You wipe out the best gun for high level and special monsters.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Danith posted:

I will look over this and then update notes in case you are peeking when I'm thinking.

The season starts in 2 days, rank 5 gives you an ammo machine at your camp that lets you convert any ammo in to any ammo. So that would help with your ammo problem.

The first problem I see is that you have not picked a single weapon damage perk card. You only need one rank for it because the first rank gives 10% dmg. (later on sure lvl up the dmg cards to rank 3 for a total of 20% dmg, but you can do that later) So grab a bunch and try out everything. You are also at the start of the game where guns and melee just don't do enough dmg. Oh poo poo you do have gladiator, so you do have one weapon perk card.

Next up is to make sure your using guns that are capped for their level, like some guns only upgrade every 5 or 10 levels. Shotguns start at lvl 15 and you don't get another until lvl 25 which your coming up on which should help some. Also at lvl 25 you can start using power armor which will help you stay alive by quite a bit. Also in fo76 power armor can be used without fusion cores but you can't sprint or use vats.

You really are so early in the game that you can be fine on this character and you already have a foothold with a spread of cards. I'd say if you don't want to start over you wouldn't really need too.

I'm just gonna drop this in here in case theres more questions about building a character because this post was long and I think it has some useful information.

Tenzarin posted:

Don't take more than one level of a damage perk. You can get those to lvl 3 later but level 1 is the best value. Strength has damage perks for melee, shotgun, heavy guns. Perception has damage perks for rifles, autorifles, and bows. Agility has damage cards for pistols, please don't use pistols unless you really want too.

You don't have to take a perk card of the stat you raise when you level up. You can press z/c to switch to different cards. You will usually take a card in the stat your leveling up but you don't want to like lvl 1-15 and only take str cards because you unlock new perks at different levels. You unlock new perk cards for every stat all the way up to lvl 50.

Power armor has the highest dr in the game, the damage the player takes is reduced by a flat 7% per piece on the frame, while the radiation damage reduced by 15% per piece, so a full set reduces damage by 42% and incoming radiation by 90%. Damage and radiation resistance provided by each piece is then applied to the remaining amount, making power armor the best protection against direct damage bar none. The game is kinda hard at the start so you should consider grabbing power armor when you see it and throw if into your stash to hang on to it. Just using it will make you a tank.

You can get Lone Wanderer in Charisma at level 4, it reduces all damage you take by 20% making it very strong.

Weight reduction perks are kinda king. Traveling pharmacy in strength for all chems/stimpacks, Thru-hiker in agility for all food, and batteries included in intelligence reduces energy ammo weight/fusion cores.

Good with salt in luck decreases food spoil time which is very good also. Selling cooked food is one of the best ways to make caps. Followed by selling grenades and chems.

Traveling pharmacy, Thru-hiker, batteries included, and Good with salt make the survival parts of the game alot easier, you can trim these down later or skip some of them. Don't take pack rat, you should never be picking up so much scrap you can't carry it all without finding a workbench to break it down.

Melee is very strong to start with but guns do kill faster in the end. For the start with melee you need to bide your time until around lvl 35 to get Incisor which lets you ignore 75% armor of whatever your clubbing. You want to raise strength obv. for melee.

For ranged, you might want to use raise perception and agility so you can use vats. Vats is now just an aimbot. Luck also helps, luck perks are where most of the vats perk cards are.

For whatever weapon you pick, at lvl 9 you can start getting Makeshift warrior for melee weapons to break slower, and at lvl 11 take Gunsmith to make guns break slower.

There are alot of perk cards that add utility to whatever type of weapon you are using. You should always take them. Utility perks for weapons add things like ignores armor, reloads faster, swing faster, cripples targets. Crippling things turns almost everything into the game into crawling on the floor unable to reach you while you shoot/club it in the head.

Before level 10 don't bother repairing any weapon. If it breaks just scrap it. Pick up new weapons from dead guys and try stuff out.

Around level 10 quests will no longer level you up. You get a majority of your exp just wandering around exploring places and killing dudes.

If you just want a short thing, here's my guy I'm doing for steam achievements.

If you wanna do rifles/autorifles/bow just ignore everything in strength but Traveling pharmacy and grab gun perks in perception.In perception, ignore my butcher's bounty, I got it for free out of a card park and I'm not gonna bother grabbing another perception card. And ignore starched genes and class freak in luck, those are for mutations. Ask about them later, they are good.

I also have some tips to make the game run alittle less like rear end. It will still run like rear end but maybe these help.
Go to your ini folder on your computer, highlighted at the top. Copy Fallout76.ini and name it Fallout76Custom.ini. The game doesn't want you to ever edit the Fallout76.ini file it will just reset it to default even with a read only flag.

The top 3 things highlighted will turn off the main menu music, turn off the start up movie, and disable the pause after you start the game to get to the menu. The highlighted part at the bottom will disable grass which really chews up fps.

This is in the Fallout76Prefs.ini.
Shadowdistance is default to something like 90,000 you will never see this far. You can mega drop this number

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 28, 2020

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
I assume 76's end game is the dailies and reputation grind?

I adore simply exploring, but I feel a little directionless without a main story kicking me up the bum.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Danith posted:

Stick to the low level area and go around meleeing everything until you have enough resources to go back on your own. Also maybe get some shotgunner perks if your going shotguns.

Edit: also to piggyback off the earlier post I completely agree DONT GO PISTOLS!!! I tried to make a full auto pistols build with max agility and luck and it made me so frustrated I almost scrapped the character. I ended up switching all my auto pistol cards for commando cards and now my character is a non-stop, VATS aimbot, killing machine!

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 28, 2020

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Four-Eyes posted:

I assume 76's end game is the dailies and reputation grind?

I adore simply exploring, but I feel a little directionless without a main story kicking me up the bum.

Yes. Have you explored every location yet? A number have some good environmental stories.

Tuesday we get the SCORE update and maybe something else.

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
Filling the map and completing Pioneer Scout challenges is my current goal!

Launching a nuke was exhausting. I don't think I want to do that too often.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Four-Eyes posted:

Filling the map and completing Pioneer Scout challenges is my current goal!

Launching a nuke was exhausting. I don't think I want to do that too often.

Did you do it with others? It is a better with a partner or 2

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
It was solo, something I realised was a mistake almost immediately. I don't find the Queen fight overly interesting anyway, so not a big loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Did you do it with others? It is a better with a partner or 2

More mobs spawn when you have more people in there, but honestly it depends on who you are doing it with.