Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It's showing route53 as the provider. A looks fine over here. NOERROR on AAAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It started working again. :iiam:

Thanks for checking tho. I'd like to avoid ditching this setup.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Did someone at github try to move it to azure and failed?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Wait is Github hosted on AWS?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
MS doesn't even use Windows OS servers.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CyberPingu posted:

Zoom is no worse than any other conferencing system I've found so far. It's just at the moment they are in the spotlight as everyone and their dog flocked to them when everyone worked from home.

We have been monitoring their security "mishaps" recently and for what it's worth, from a technology side of things, they handled them pretty well. They also seem to be taking community suggestions seriously

Zoom scaled up from free video chat with some paid options to an enterprise-scale product really fast. They've actually managed to keep up with security features, so that's moderately impressive. Their user experience team is actually good at their jobs. For remote control sessions Zoom whips up on Webex, and Google Meet is stealing features from them. I appreciate attractive, easy t use software so that's a big plus for Zoom in my book. So they're hooked up with Chinese TLAs, state actors aren't really a problem you can do much about if they take an interest.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

droll posted:

MS doesn't even use Windows OS servers.
We've known that ever since Windows Update servers for Windows 98 ran on FreeBSD.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

mllaneza posted:

Zoom scaled up from free video chat with some paid options to an enterprise-scale product really fast. They've actually managed to keep up with security features, so that's moderately impressive. Their user experience team is actually good at their jobs. For remote control sessions Zoom whips up on Webex, and Google Meet is stealing features from them. I appreciate attractive, easy t use software so that's a big plus for Zoom in my book. So they're hooked up with Chinese TLAs, state actors aren't really a problem you can do much about if they take an interest.

Pretty much this.

Like I said. Their PR is a bit horrendous but their actual product is one of the best on the market and they have done really well to address the issues that have been raised.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Don't install zoom software

The web interface is fine

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I would second the above. I do not remotely trust Zoom, with all the dumb negligent poo poo they've done. Use the web client.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just deployed the Zoom client for our entire C-suite and a number of vp’s

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Post/username

j/k I'm sure they'd pitch a fit if they didn't get it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Lol yeah

Our first fully remote quarterly board meeting is happening this week and it’s all on zoom

We did the best we could to make sure everyone is informed and it’s a secure as possible

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Or make a risk assessment based on your own company and weigh off the risks and see if you are comfortable with it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

We were using Zoom enterprise-wide before the apocalypse, and have been happy with it. They've made changes as security concerns have come up quickly enough to satisfy our InfoSec, and we're an InfoSec/IT company.
Thank God, we also were already issuing laptops to every user, and had a decent VPN infrastructure in place. Once the WFH hit, we just beefed up the VPN, then fixed a few relatively small issues, and kept trucking.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Zoom hired a new CISO from SalesForce.

https://twitter.com/ryanaraine/status/1275866120361144320

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Not a big endorsement.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I have to make some change to a domain managed with GoDaddy, and the DNS management panel was just not loading. I opened a chat, and they asked for the account number + support PIN, but then they also asked me to drop a Google Auth code in the chat. I refused, because that seems completely wrong. Am I overreacting here?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

There should be literally no reason for them to need your auth code unless they are logging in to your account as you, which they should not be doing.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

The Fool posted:

There should be literally no reason for them to need your auth code unless they are logging in to your account as you, which they should not be doing.

I think that's literally what they are doing :)

I've been asking them to drop godaddy for years now.

calypsosaphire
May 31, 2020

by Nyc_Tattoo
edited garbage out

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 25, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No steganography pls

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jfc I probated you for this poo poo a while ago and you're back.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 25, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I thought Terry Davis was dead

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Thought this was the Infosec thread not the Poorly Roleplaying 1990s Cyberpunk Themes thread?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

bitprophet posted:

Thought this was the Infosec thread not the Poorly Roleplaying 1990s Cyberpunk Themes thread?

A distinction without a difference, my hominid.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

bitprophet posted:

How do you think we all got into infosec?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Lost a bet.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Silk Road

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I just pretend.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Ynglaur posted:

I just pretend.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Irritated the right people

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Burma Shave.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Creepy fortune teller machine at an amusement park

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

I just pretend.

Wow...I don't think I've ever read a post that has both offended me and that I've agreed with more than this.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

I just pretend.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Took a wrong turn at Albuquerque

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I just come here to watch what you all do behind the closed doors at the other side of the server room.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Axe-man posted:

I just come here to watch what you all do behind the closed doors at the other side of the server room.

Watch us Google whatever we are asked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Axe-man posted:

Same.