Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lol nice

ill watch again. the last few episodes were wild even on rewatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The customer service rep that looking glass is talking to when his extra dimensional alarm goes awry sounds like the home depot guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBeY07wObhY

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I rushed through this show to watch it all before the free window ended so I feel like I might have missed a few things.

Did the show explain why the original Bian spermjacked Veidt?

Or why Dr Manhattan trapped by synthetic lithium?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Galvanik posted:

I rushed through this show to watch it all before the free window ended so I feel like I might have missed a few things.

Did the show explain why the original Bian spermjacked Veidt?

Or why Dr Manhattan trapped by synthetic lithium?

She was pissed at him because he sucks.

I think the lithium thing was from the graphic novel?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think the lithium was stuff he synthesized back when they had him making all the batteries for electric cars and so on. So, it was linked to him in some special way.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
It's a clever follow-up to Laura's call to Dr. Manhattan and the joke about God and a rock. "Can God create a stone so heavy even He can't lift it?" Evidently, Dr. Manhattan can.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

The Republican party in Watchmen didn't think they could kill Dr. Manhattan and take what he had until they realized he was now a black man.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

KoRMaK posted:

lol nice

ill watch again. the last few episodes were wild even on rewatch

This finally got me watching. When the show first came on, a friend told me I probably wouldn't enjoy it so it kind of slipped by.

Four episodes in and this is the best TV I've seen in bloody ages. Absolutely riveting and I have to force myself to take it slow so I don't just binge through it in one sitting.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Der Shovel posted:

This finally got me watching. When the show first came on, a friend told me I probably wouldn't enjoy it so it kind of slipped by.

Four episodes in and this is the best TV I've seen in bloody ages. Absolutely riveting and I have to force myself to take it slow so I don't just binge through it in one sitting.

Oh it's great TV. On episode 4, you say? Mind posting your thoughts of the next few? :allears:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Oh it's great TV. On episode 4, you say? Mind posting your thoughts of the next few? :allears:

Sure!

I watched episode 5 yesterday, so here are some thoughts. I'm gonna spoiler them just in case someone else is also watching the show for the first time now.

- I had kind of guessed the senator was the leader of the Seventh Kavalry. A big hint was the kidnapping at the funeral, which he seemed all too comfortable going with. I don't know if his endgame there was to get himself sympathy for being the fearless leader who isn't afraid of sacrificing himself to protect others, or if he was trying to provoke a confrontation. The latter doesn't seem right, because he flat out stated that both him and Don Johnson were leading their respective factions in an effort to preserve the peace between the Seventh Kavalry and the cops.

- I don't yet have a good read on Angela's grandfather. I'm pretty sure he used to be a big name hero back in the day, possibly the Hooded Justice. After all he used to be a cop until the 40s or 50s until he suddenly retired, he keeps talking about being able to lift 200 pounds etc. Plus it would kind of fit in with the loving awesome TV episode where the Hooded Justice foiled that store robbery.

- I have no idea what Lady Trieu's goal is. Obviously she isn't being honest about her past; I don't think she so much "bought" Ozymandias' businesses from him as she was picked to be his successor. The machine that "tells time" equally obviously is going to do something more drastic. Is it a time machine?

- Ozymandias himself! Man that was a fun trip. I probably should've picked up that the English Lord was Veidt before I did (to my credit I did figure it out before the show flat out told us), but beyond that it's a bunch of fun mysteries. How is he fishing out floppy infants from a lake and then accelerating their growth to full blown adults in a few moments? Is he trapped in another dimension, or possibly in the past? Is all the Victorian era tech he's using just a cool affectation, or an indicator that his punishment was getting sent back in time to a place where he couldn't do so much damage? The moon he escaped to was in modern times, or at least had a modern satellite orbiting it.

- What is the Seventh Kavalry's goal? I don't think they're trying to bring about any kind of calamity, I think they're trying to prevent something. Or maybe they're just insane racists who want to use forbidden portals to assassinate the president or something?

- In episode 4, Sister Night's car falling from the sky in front of the FBI agent wasn't of course directly Dr. Manhattan's doing since we know Lady Trieu's guys stole it so they were probably the ones who dropped it back, even though she interpreted it as such. But is Dr. Manhattan still involved somehow? Is he involved in Lady Trieu's business, or was it just a weird coincidence that her "brick falls, kills god" 'joke' was punchlined with someone dropping the car in front of her?

- One thing I really liked. In the first couple of episodes it seemed like the masked heroes working for the Tulsa P.D. were using borderline unacceptable methods, but getting good results and possibly justifying the means. But when the FBI agents turned up, they kind of flipped it around. Maybe Looking Glass isn't a super-empath who can masterfully detect racists by watching people as he asks them how they'd feel if he shat on the American flag? Maybe he's just a half-insane vigilante who sees dangers and problems everwhere? Or maybe he is that, but CAN actually read people to an insane degree?

- Oh no Looking Glass, don't let those shotgun racists get you :ohdear:

On a more general level I loving love the show. The cinematography is top notch, it uses music and sound amazingly well, it's full of really good performances. I was initially super wary, having been burnt badly by Lindelöf's previous TV efforts but it's feeling like they're actually nailing it this time. Of course it remains to be seen how well they stick the landing, because Lost felt amazing right until the point it went off the tracks at 150mph.

E: it's honestly very hard to try to limit myself to just an episode a day, I want to binge it all.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 25, 2020

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

It’s so refreshing to read a post by someone who likes the show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just thought I would pop in here and remind any new viewers about the Peteypedia: https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

It’s so refreshing to read a post by someone who likes the show.

Seriously, this thread got insanely negative. It's weird, too, it's the only place I saw people who really didn't like the show. All my IRL friends were incredibly into it.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I think it's more just that it finished as only above-average compared to its excellent start

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
The problem was that it was a pretty good show about the Tulsa Massacre and racism written by a diverse team of writers, mashed into an extremely dumb show based on a half-understood comic book that had no point or reason in being remade and ran by an incredibly dumb man.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Actually, it understood the comic extremely well and was very good! :)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I found it to be ran by a very capable show runner. I can’t wait to see what he does next. I would love to see him continue doing one season series.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

grate deceiver posted:

The problem was that it was a pretty good show about the Tulsa Massacre and racism written by a diverse team of writers, mashed into an extremely dumb show based on a half-understood comic book that had no point or reason in being remade and ran by an incredibly dumb man.

:yeah:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

nate fisher posted:

I found it to be ran by a very capable show runner. I can’t wait to see what he does next. I would love to see him continue doing one season series.

Yeah, maybe I didn't word it very good. He's very good at running a show and all the technical aspects of composition. It's just that those skills are applied to telling extremely dumb and boring stories and the dude has a birdbrained understanding of the world. Like a more competent M. Night Shyamalan.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
The premise was good and the episode by episode stuff was fun to watch each weekend but as a whole it's solidly average and at times a bit sanctimonious

Lube Man was the greatest part of the entire show, fight me if you dare

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

As I stated earlier, rewatching in one chunk and knowing where everything goes makes the show quite a bit better. It's different from week to week expectations and how things are interpreted based on that. Once you know what everything is about, it always tells the story about those things from the very start, with things like Tulsa, etc. being more of a part of the whole legacy of characters more obviously.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It's crazy how much the show raised awareness of the Tulsa massacre and led to things like support for finding the mass graves. Usually when I say "raising awareness" there's a hefty eyeroll involved but it actually for-real accomplished something.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's crazy how much the show raised awareness of the Tulsa massacre and led to things like support for finding the mass graves. Usually when I say "raising awareness" there's a hefty eyeroll involved but it actually for-real accomplished something.

"Raising awareness" in this case wasn't even performative or pointless in any way because the event was actively, consciously erased from history.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I still can't believe they shot Donald Trump's dad in the head and nobody cared

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arist posted:

"Raising awareness" in this case wasn't even performative or pointless in any way because the event was actively, consciously erased from history.

Very true. In this case the overwhelming majority of people had never heard of it, ever, including people I know with degrees in history. Usually when people are doing the whole "raising awareness" thing it's for poo poo everyone already knew about.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I still can't believe they shot Donald Trump's dad in the head and nobody cared

That was one of my favorite subtle bits in the whole show.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I seriously paused the episode and went to google to search if that was real, I had never heard of it (Im not american, though)

I was pretty shocked

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Episode Six

Holy poo poo that was brutal and amazing.

- I love that while Angela's grandfather had to paint his face to hide his blackness, Angela paints her face to accentuate hers. It ties in nicely with the American Heroes version of Hooded Justice being this white washed TV hero version of the real person who didn't so much fight to protect the American Way as much as fighting his supposed comrades and allies when they turned out to be racist KKK motherfuckers.

- And on that same note, the American Heroes FBI agents' theories on why Hooded Justice wears a hood and a noose around his neck couldn't have been further away from the truth. No, it's because he's a black man they tried to lynch, and now he's kicking all of their asses. There's also some poetic justice to a bunch of racist-rear end bigots causing the birth of the first superhero, and the whole superhero movement.

- Don Johnson's "I have a right to own [the KKK robe]. It's part of my heritage!" sounded hilariously petulant, like a child whining to a parent. Amazing line delivery.

- Big props again to the cinematography. The black & white looked gorgeous, that freeze frame shot of Hooded Justice diving through the shop window and then being suspended in mid-air among the shards of glass was awesome. And hell, I won't complain about the Ink Spots getting some air time!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The sixth episode is an absolutely fascinating examination of the graphic novel Watchmen and how it's very much a critique of America and its culture, while being utterly devoid of commentary on race. In the graphic novel the point of Hooded Justice as "the original superhero" is that he's a sadist with fascist leanings who likes punching bad guys because it gets him off, which was transgressive for 1986 but quickly became an unbelievably tired cliche. The idea that actually the origins of the "superhero" in Watchmen are directly tied to cultural appropriation of vigilante justice rather than Freud-tier sex stuff is brilliant. I love it. I love it so loving much. What an amazing idea to recontextualize a seminal work of an entire medium and genre. What a strikingly potent character-driven drama about legacies of race and justice in America.
And then the end of Episode Seven happens and it all becomes fanfic.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The sixth episode is an absolutely fascinating examination of the graphic novel Watchmen and how it's very much a critique of America and its culture, while being utterly devoid of commentary on race.

what

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah how on earth was this not a commentary on race?

A black man, traumatized by life-long experiences of violence against black people, is motivated to seek a position where he can hopefully affect change, prevent further violence and protect his people and loved ones.

However, it turns out that change from within the system is impossible. Not only does he find racism and prejudice in the police force, his fellow officers are literally committing the same acts of violence against black people that traumatized him.

He comes to realize that the only way for him to change anything is to step outside the rules of society and fight for change any way he can. He thinks he's found new allies who are willing to stand shoulder to shoulder with him in this fight, but it turns out they only wanted to cash in on his image, and for him to suppress and actively hide his black identity. Oh it's not for their sake, they're the good ones, they understand. But society wouldn't, so act white, why don't you?

After all is said and done, his deeds, legacy and even persona are co-opted by the white system which portrays him as a white man.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I meant the original graphic novel was not a commentary on race. I feel like if you had continued reading my post, that would have become clear.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think he is talking about the comics being "devoid of commentary on race"

edit: beaten, but yes, Ive read it right

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I definitely read it that way too, three cheers for lack of intonation making text based communication weird sometimes!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I guess it was a commentary on race in that the one black woman in it was a self-centered nymphomaniac who got mad at her psychologist husband for being depressed and wanting to help other people, but I don't think we wanna go down that road.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I think we have different definitions of nymphomaniac.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

nate fisher posted:

I think we have different definitions of nymphomaniac.

Sex-obsessed, maybe?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i dunno how you can put so much effort into disliking a thing that was subjectively very powerfully good

it boggles the mind

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

KoRMaK posted:

i dunno how you can put so much effort into disliking a thing that was subjectively very powerfully good

it boggles the mind

it's why i try to avoid TV IV

just full of weirdos who compulsively criticize so they can feel better about themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
It's been replaying on HBO2 since this morning.

The finale is on right now.

I always feel so bad for the game warden when he gets murked. :cry:

It's also my favorite Adrian moment in the whole series. He's such a lovable psychopath bastard

Grandpa Palpatine fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 28, 2020