Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Hadlock posted:

T430, T440, T450, T460

Find one that meets your budget. Preferably with an SSD hard drive, and at least 8GB of memory. They are very very durable, parts are easy to buy and replace, they have a real, durable metal frame etc. They will run from $199 to $499

Or yeah, buy a Chromebook

My guess is that if going with the older Thinkpads on your list, would it generally be a good idea to budget in a replacement battery as well?

The question about whether to go with "genuine" or generic OEM batteries is probably a bit more subjective, at least when factoring in what the user's expectations are, at least they're probably not as restrictive as say, adding in a non-whitelisted wireless card or similar accessory, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Killer_B posted:

My guess is that if going with the older Thinkpads on your list, would it generally be a good idea to budget in a replacement battery as well?

The question about whether to go with "genuine" or generic OEM batteries is probably a bit more subjective, at least when factoring in what the user's expectations are, at least they're probably not as restrictive as say, adding in a non-whitelisted wireless card or similar accessory, right?

Nah you will be fine if you choose to go for a non genuine one

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Apple announced today their Macs are switching over to their own ARM processors over the next two years. Let's just kick Intel in the balls.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Apple announced today their Macs are switching over to their own ARM processors over the next two years. Let's just kick Intel in the balls.

Well people have been speculating the hop to ARM for years especially how each new Iphone release had a big increase in computing power, while most of the more recent Intel "tick" new generation
CPUs haven't offered compelling performance increases over the last generation hardware.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

Nah you will be fine if you choose to go for a non genuine one

I'll preface this by saying that generally I'm a cheap bastard and when I can cut corners, I will.

I don't trust non genuine batteries. Counterfeit Samsung/LG 18650s (the "cell" in a 4/6/9 cell battery) are super common and have outdated chemistry, lower capacity etc. You just don't know. They might even be the "good" batteries pulled out of a couple of old laptops to assemble one good battery.

You'd have to run your own cost benefit analysis as to wether you should go genuine or eBay rando. Genuine generally cost $30-40 more, but it's worth it to me. If you're on a shoe string budget maybe 3rd party is more your flavor.

If it were easier to trust the people making the batteries, if the batteries weren't so easy to counterfeit, if you could generally trust them. But I don't.

As a normal poster I'd probably say to he dice and good luck, but as OP I can't suggest buying third party batteries

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Mu Zeta posted:

Threadripper/Epyc Mac Pros or gtfo

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hadlock posted:

I'll preface this by saying that generally I'm a cheap bastard and when I can cut corners, I will.

I don't trust non genuine batteries. Counterfeit Samsung/LG 18650s (the "cell" in a 4/6/9 cell battery) are super common and have outdated chemistry, lower capacity etc. You just don't know. They might even be the "good" batteries pulled out of a couple of old laptops to assemble one good battery.

You'd have to run your own cost benefit analysis as to wether you should go genuine or eBay rando. Genuine generally cost $30-40 more, but it's worth it to me. If you're on a shoe string budget maybe 3rd party is more your flavor.

If it were easier to trust the people making the batteries, if the batteries weren't so easy to counterfeit, if you could generally trust them. But I don't.

As a normal poster I'd probably say to he dice and good luck, but as OP I can't suggest buying third party batteries

At some point though, isn't it potentially better to go with a non-OEM battery? I have a 2nd gen X1 Carbon that needs its battery replaced - but it's hard enough to find a genuine battery that old, and then you wonder how good it is after it's been boxed up on a shelf for however many years.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’ve had good luck with Anker replacement batteries. At least they aren’t pretending to be OEM.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

At some point though, isn't it potentially better to go with a non-OEM battery? I have a 2nd gen X1 Carbon that needs its battery replaced - but it's hard enough to find a genuine battery that old, and then you wonder how good it is after it's been boxed up on a shelf for however many years.

My guess is that Lenovo is still making new batteries. They have gobs of ancient Thinkpads in the field

I'd trust an Anker branded battery if you can find one, I didn't know that was an option for something like a T series

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Hi! My wife has a very needs-suiting Acer Spin 5. It currently has 8gb memory but has two SO-DIMM slots so I was hoping to bump it up to 16gb.

Current module is 8 GB DDR4 2144 MHz.

Is it relatively safe to buy any reasonably priced laptop SO-DIMM RAM off Newegg? Or is compatibility a big issue? I'm planning on buying two identical 8gb modules and removing the current one, so it's not a mix and match situation.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Hi! My wife has a very needs-suiting Acer Spin 5. It currently has 8gb memory but has two SO-DIMM slots so I was hoping to bump it up to 16gb.

Current module is 8 GB DDR4 2144 MHz.

Is it relatively safe to buy any reasonably priced laptop SO-DIMM RAM off Newegg? Or is compatibility a big issue? I'm planning on buying two identical 8gb modules and removing the current one, so it's not a mix and match situation.

Any DDR4 SO-DIMM will work, though I recommend DDR4-2400 for maximum bandwidth. I'd open up the laptop to check that it has two user-upgradable RAM slots because I'm fairly sure the Acer Spin 5 has the 8GB module soldered. If so, then the speed of the additional RAM module is irrelevant as long as it's 2144 MHz or higher. I could be wrong on the particular model you purchased for your wife though. :shobon:

The brand is also irrelevant as long as it's legit RAM and not unbranded weird stuff off eBay or whatever, especially since you won't be overclocking, undervolting, or otherwise stressing the RAM much.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this is a 2017 model, they started soldering the RAM in the following year's model (which is the one I have). I opened up the laptop to double check, though, and I was wrong, it only has 1 slot and max 8gb from what I can read online, which is a shame. Thanks anyway!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

re: intel vs amd

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/intel-skylake-why-apple-left/

tl;dr intel has been in a bad place for a while, they have been through what, 3 CEOs since 2017?

Skylake is uh, 2 generations prior to the thread namesake Haswell, which debuted in 2012, so this is old news, but sort of confirms a slowly gelling story of things going to poo poo over the last 8 years

also RIP laptop megathread, I will miss all of you, from arguing that laptops were not an acceptable gaming platform, to uh, wether or not eGPU was the superior laptop gaming platform. I will cherish these banal arguments forever, long live Thinkpad Refurbishments

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 25, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

actually long live dell refurbishments and also gaming laptops were always ok and 17 was never too big!

also everything should be soldered solid. especially keyboards

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

actually long live dell refurbishments and also gaming laptops were always ok and 17 was never too big!

eat poo poo and die

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I started using an iPhone recently and really like it. I had a Macbook in 2010ish and enjoyed that, but have only used Windows or Android since. We basically only use Macs at work and with us going back soon (hopefully) and me wanting a laptop for various reasons, I kind of want to look at a Mac. It's mostly gonna be for work from remote locations, but i'd like to start dabbling in video editing and I want a comfortable, responsive keyboard. I watch a ton of movies/tv on my devices, so I expect a lot of that too. I don't really need it to play games, but i'd like for it to basically play some quick Steam games, maybe Wow Classic. A nice battery is key, though i'll be able to charge it from my vehicle.

Should I just stick with Windows or will a Mac and IOS be something worth exploring? Any good deals or things I should stay away from right now? I remember Apple having good deals when the school season starts, but it's usually for people with .edu emails and with COVID, who knows.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hadlock posted:

tl;dr intel has been in a bad place for a while, they have been through what, 3 CEOs since 2017?

Skylake is uh, 2 generations prior to the thread namesake Haswell, which debuted in 2012, so this is old news, but sort of confirms a slowly gelling story of things going to poo poo over the last 8 years

also RIP laptop megathread, I will miss all of you, from arguing that laptops were not an acceptable gaming platform, to uh, wether or not eGPU was the superior laptop gaming platform. I will cherish these banal arguments forever, long live Thinkpad Refurbishments

I totally buy this. It lines up with Apple's bizarre decisions on not advancing their products the way they should have. It was all just a holding pattern.

Statutory Ape posted:

get into the ocean

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ShowTime posted:

I started using an iPhone recently and really like it. I had a Macbook in 2010ish and enjoyed that, but have only used Windows or Android since. We basically only use Macs at work and with us going back soon (hopefully) and me wanting a laptop for various reasons, I kind of want to look at a Mac. It's mostly gonna be for work from remote locations, but i'd like to start dabbling in video editing and I want a comfortable, responsive keyboard. I watch a ton of movies/tv on my devices, so I expect a lot of that too. I don't really need it to play games, but i'd like for it to basically play some quick Steam games, maybe Wow Classic. A nice battery is key, though i'll be able to charge it from my vehicle.

Should I just stick with Windows or will a Mac and IOS be something worth exploring? Any good deals or things I should stay away from right now? I remember Apple having good deals when the school season starts, but it's usually for people with .edu emails and with COVID, who knows.

Apple finally got rid of their Bad Keyboards so they're back to their former selves again. I like Mac, there's some nervousness with the support situation with their move to ARM but considering their latest OS is officially supported on 8 year old laptops I feel confident saying that they will still support Intel for a long time. Apple still has the best trackpads of any laptop out there IMO.

Apple has basically opened up .edu pricing for everyone right now. They don't have any restrictions or checks and all of their marketing material is pushing the .edu pricing as the base price now. I suspect they're stealthily offering this "discount to everyone" without officially discounting their products. Back to school sales are live now which includes a free pair of airpods, or if you have Costco membership they're doing $150 off right now on select models while also including a 2 year warranty, up to 4 year if you use their branded credit card.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You really haven't been keeping up with the Apple ecosystem, have you? Apple just announced they were moving away from Intel over to a unified top-to-bottom ARM infrastructure, so unless you feel like buying something that will be EOLed in two years or so, it may behoove you to wait.

It will not be EOLed in two years, this is nonsense.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 25, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ShowTime posted:

You really haven't been keeping up with the Apple ecosystem, have you? Apple just announced they were moving away from Intel over to a unified top-to-bottom ARM infrastructure, so unless you feel like buying something that will be EOLed in two years or so, it may behoove you to wait.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I read that, but outside of seeing what was mentioned in the past 2 pages, nope. I have basically no idea what Apple has been up to.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Apple is one of the very few modern tech giants that makes a serious effort to support their old products. iPhones and Macbooks get security and feature updates for the better part of a decade. I do not think it's likely they will roll out ARM computers one day and kill support for generations of products the next.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
.....my (gender-neutral) dude, you must not have been around when Apple switched over from PowerPC over to Intel in the first place, were you?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

.....my (gender-neutral) dude, you must not have been around when Apple switched over from PowerPC over to Intel in the first place, were you?

They switched over in 1 year, released new OSes for PPC for 4 years and obsoleted the hardware in 7 years.

I'm typing this on an 11 year old Mac Pro.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And that's fine, if you were loaded enough to have a mac pro in the first place. Those of us who watched school districts throw out dumpsters full of iMac G3s? Probably not so much.

edit: I am not saying that current Intel-based apple devices will be that useless, that quickly, there are at least resources out there to keep using Intel-based Macs, if not through the Hackintosh community, then through the already-installed base of programs. I am.... reasonably sure that Apple will continue to offer support for at least two years, because I don't have ANY expectation out of Intel doing the same, what with how the Hades Canyon NUC exists in limbo with neither AMD nor Intel willing to give it any kind of lifeline. It's just that with how barely performant the iMac G3s were under their own power, and how much of a step up in power the change to x86 represented, it's no wonder to me that PowerPC effectively died a year later, with how OS10 ran on those older PowerPC mac like poo poo.

Do you remember how when you tried running your old 9.2 apps on OS10, and you would maybe get a 40% chance between it working and "This application or control panel is not supported by Classic"? Because I do.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 25, 2020

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Statutory Ape posted:

jesus christ

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Hey, I'm wondering if this will be compatible with my Predator laptop. My laptop has a current SSHD thats only 250gb. It's got one free slot for an additional 2.5" drive, so I wanna get a bigger HD for additional storage for games.

https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-blue-2tb/p/N82E16820250089

I'm wondering what I would need to do to get this set up, as well, setting up windows 10 on the drive after installation. Any guides you guys recommend?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

Hey, I'm wondering if this will be compatible with my Predator laptop. My laptop has a current SSHD thats only 250gb. It's got one free slot for an additional 2.5" drive, so I wanna get a bigger HD for additional storage for games.

https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-blue-2tb/p/N82E16820250089

I'm wondering what I would need to do to get this set up, as well, setting up windows 10 on the drive after installation. Any guides you guys recommend?

Windows is already on the small NVME drive that’s in there, so you don’t need to worry about that when you’re adding the second SSD.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Any word on when the new Lenovo thinkpads are dropping? I know they've said July vaguely but I kind of want to either see if the upgrades are worth waiting for or take advantage of the clearance sales on the previous gen stuff that happen around release time.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
So it sounds like I should wait for the next gen of Macs, buy a mac and expect it to stop being supported in roughly 3 years or stick with a windows based system. That's a shame. I kind of wanted to play around with a mac, but i've always enjoyed the used Mac market and by the time i'd be looking to sell and upgrade, a lot of people would be looking for new gen Macs.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Do you think the laptop will suddenly just brick in 3 years time? There's tons of people like myself using older, "unsupported" Macs which work perfectly fine and still receive critical security updates.

There's no issue buying an Intel Mac, even with this big transmission looming. There will probably be stronger demand initially as the Intel Macs can a) still run Windows natively and b) any new Macs are going to be a Rev 1 product which has a stigma in the Apple world.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ShowTime posted:

So it sounds like I should wait for the next gen of Macs, buy a mac and expect it to stop being supported in roughly 3 years or stick with a windows based system. That's a shame. I kind of wanted to play around with a mac, but i've always enjoyed the used Mac market and by the time i'd be looking to sell and upgrade, a lot of people would be looking for new gen Macs.

This is not true. SwissArmyDruid does not know what they are talking about.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Windows is already on the small NVME drive that’s in there, so you don’t need to worry about that when you’re adding the second SSD.

Ok cool. Do you know how I would go about figuring out if it's compatible?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Hadlock posted:

Skylake was two generations after Haswell, not before. For reference:
Nehalem - first Core i-branded chips following Allendale Core 2
Sandy Bridge - second gen, notably faster
Ivy Bridge - third gen, die shrink of Sandy, similar outside of the IGP
Haswell - 4th gen, adds AVX2
Broadwell - 5th gen, die shrink of Haswell
Skylake - 6th gen, de facto basis of all subsequent chips as well

It was around 2013 that Intel began getting more overtly slipshod with testing in an effort to better compete with ARM in the low power arena, and pressure hasn’t let up since AMD came back with Ryzen.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

This is not true. SwissArmyDruid does not know what they are talking about.

Ok, thanks. Well, i'll shop around for Macs. Costco usually has pretty good deals. If anyone knows of a super good deal, please let me know.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have a Macbook Air from 2012 that still got the lastest MacOS update and security updates. They support stuff forever.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hasturtium posted:

Skylake was two generations after Haswell, not before. For reference:

Yeah you are correct. I had a late night and got that mixed up.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Are there any gaming laptops that don't sound like jet engines when gaming?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's mostly a physics problem. Trying to pump 100W of heat, the heat that comes off a full power traditional lightbulb, out of a form factor about the size of a spiral notebook

If you want to minimize fan noise you'll need to increase heat transfer another way

Ideally this would be done in a sealed room at 1.1+ atmospheres (depends on your comfort level), 100% relative humidity at less than 70F with at least one vornado 660 room circulator running at full blast. Probably wouldn't hurt to weld the laptop frame directly to an aluminum desk to allow the desk to become part of the heat sink. You might be able to get away with strapping it down and half a pint of artic silver

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

shrike82 posted:

Are there any gaming laptops that don't sound like jet engines when gaming?

The solution to this is to turn up your speakers to obnoxious levels while your partner tries to go to sleep for an early start for work, but you don't care because you're an xxxmlg42069snipahxxx gamer.

Also, gaming laptops weren't actually 'good' until pascal, which was a point in time when gaming laptops went from meh to really drat enticing because shortly followed the small bezel change and also high refresh catching on very soon after that, and also gently caress sometimes I get mad I bought my Aero 15 right before we transitioned to high refresh

Echoing statuatoryape, 17" is definitely not too big especially not the thin bezeled ones and also, proper thickboi DTRs do have place and there are people for whom those are ideal for their use cases so this thread's historical mockery of somebody asking for a dtr, especially after they got real good with pascal where performance was highly comparable to an sff build that nerds otherwise drool over but also with a built-in high quality monitor, is pretty bad.

Oh hey the forums might not be going away after all oh well thanks for reading my manifesto

E; gently caress soldering everything wtf

e2; if the forums do implode gonna miss chatting laptops with you all thanks!

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Zephyrus G14 is $1350 right now. Pretty good specs and it's pretty thin and light. Runs hot as hell while gaming of course.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6403816