Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

The RAM wasn't seated properly. I am a retard. Thank you both so much!

I once went nuts with a "dead system" that turned out to just be the video card only being 99% in instead of 100%. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I'm most of the way towards configuring a new system - just looking for thoughts on a case. My current PC is in a Fractal Design R4 I think. Absolutely wonderful to work in although a bit heavy. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with their newer models and can offer some feedback? The Meshify looks interesting and affordable, how good is the sound insulation? I'm not looking to add any additional cooling and the sound insulation on my current case is top notch, so something as quiet as this would be fantastic.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Meshify has very little sound insulation. It's actually more open so if your fans are loud you'll hear it. Their Define series have the sound dampening.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Didn't Gamers Nexus do a thing where they found out that better airflow allowed you to run fans quieter than increased speed ones in a sounded deadened non-airflow case?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Didn't Gamers Nexus do a thing where they found out that better airflow allowed you to run fans quieter than increased speed ones in a sounded deadened non-airflow case?

Yes, but those conclusions are specifically with load.

The other philosophy, which GN doesn't test around, is that load isn't as important because what you want is dead-silence at idle / desktop apps type work. In this camp the general feeling is that more load noise doesn't matter because that means you're playing a game with headphones on, so you don't care.

Cases with sound-deadening and closed front panels are better for that second philosophy because you can still run the fans at low speeds, plus block any sound from the case interior. (That can include things like coil whine which the sound damping materials are excellent at, but mesh will let right through.) But it's a trade off with more noise and heat at load.

GN doesn't do low-noise testing because they're an enthusiast site that's all about performance, so they're very much in the load camp. Also, because it pretty much requires setting up a special sound-insulated room to do it. IIRC Steve said on an Ask GN vid that they can't show noise results for their "Standardized Fan" testing because they run into their office noise floor. There are limits to how much work they want to do.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Klyith posted:

Yes, but those conclusions are specifically with load.

The other philosophy, which GN doesn't test around, is that load isn't as important because what you want is dead-silence at idle / desktop apps type work. In this camp the general feeling is that more load noise doesn't matter because that means you're playing a game with headphones on, so you don't care.

Cases with sound-deadening and closed front panels are better for that second philosophy because you can still run the fans at low speeds, plus block any sound from the case interior. (That can include things like coil whine which the sound damping materials are excellent at, but mesh will let right through.) But it's a trade off with more noise and heat at load.

GN doesn't do low-noise testing because they're an enthusiast site that's all about performance, so they're very much in the load camp. Also, because it pretty much requires setting up a special sound-insulated room to do it. IIRC Steve said on an Ask GN vid that they can't show noise results for their "Standardized Fan" testing because they run into their office noise floor. There are limits to how much work they want to do.

With certain equipment that's still definitely possible. When I was still air cooling, my Dark Rock Pro 4 was set to turn off under I think 40C (maybe 45C?) plus modern Nvidia GPUs (maybe Radeons too) having fan stop, even in my Meshify C I never heard anything ever. Hell, even with a custom loop its pretty silent. Fans are a constant 700RPM (pretty much silent) and really the only thing I hear is a faint hum of my pump running at 40% speed.

Really what I'm getting at is with a beefy air cooler you can go completely silent in an airflow focused case

EMCF
Feb 21, 2007
PSUs are bizarrely expensive these days, before I pay crazy Canadian money for a Corsair RMx 650, are either of these options worth a look for a gaming build?

EVGA Supernova 650 G5, 80 Plus Gold 650W, Fully Modular: https://www.amazon.ca/Supernova-ent...076&sr=8-1&th=1

Or, cheaper option:

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 650W 80+ Gold: https://www.amazon.ca/Thermaltake-P...92975076&sr=8-6

Thanks goons, help is appreciated.

EMCF fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 24, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
What the gently caress is going on with PC part prices in the US/Canada? Has covid just wrecked the supply stock so they jacked the prices?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
It's strange it hasn't really hit over here as much I guess

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EMCF posted:

EVGA Supernova 650 G5, 80 Plus Gold 650W, Fully Modular:

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 650W 80+ Gold:

Both are good PSUs. Reviews of the thermaltake mention a mildly loud fan, but if the case is on the floor I've never found PSU fan noise to be an issue. (Two different reviews of the GF1 also had very minor quibbles about the 3.3V rail, but the 3.3V is hardly used by anything these days.)

If you're not wedded to 650W & fully modular, the Corsair TXM 550 is only $130

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

With certain equipment that's still definitely possible. When I was still air cooling, my Dark Rock Pro 4 was set to turn off under I think 40C (maybe 45C?) plus modern Nvidia GPUs (maybe Radeons too) having fan stop, even in my Meshify C I never heard anything ever. Hell, even with a custom loop its pretty silent. Fans are a constant 700RPM (pretty much silent) and really the only thing I hear is a faint hum of my pump running at 40% speed.

Really what I'm getting at is with a beefy air cooler you can go completely silent in an airflow focused case

Yes, there are many things you can do. You can noise insulate with dollar bills by buying oversize heatsinks & GPUs that go full passive. You can also open the door of a Fractal R# to get more airflow.

But for most people, using a fairly stock case setup, who aren't spending a bunch of extra money on the stuff you've spent money on, the point remains. Mesh cases = cooler & quieter at load. Closed cases = hotter & quieter idle.

(OTOH if you have a water cooling system that you call silent, you just don't have a low enough noise floor.)

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

CyberPingu posted:

What the gently caress is going on with PC part prices in the US/Canada? Has covid just wrecked the supply stock so they jacked the prices?

Which is why I finally broke down and ordered a pre-built Microcenter (PowerSpec) system to replace my dying 9-year-old 2500k rig. Nothing too crazy pants, just their $800 Ryzen 3600/RX580 system so I can continue 1080p60 gaming. I do have a GTX1070 I will move over but I'll keep the RX580 just in case my 4-year-old and out of warranty 1070 shits the bed.

This will also be my first AMD system since my Athlon 64 X2 3800 way back in 2008.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 24, 2020

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

you know what i tore it all apart and put it back together agian and it worked fine so ignore this stupid both.

Also you guys are really cool and helpful, don't know if this forum will still be around to say by the time I finish all these upgrades but thank you very much, you're good.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 24, 2020

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Hello. I'm looking to build a brand new system as the last PC I built is now 12 years old. I'm not looking to push the envelope, just play some of the games I missed over the last four or five years at a reasonable level of quality. UK-based. Would prefer to keep it south of £750.

I'd appreciate any input on my initial attempt below and if there are any improvements that could be made. Thanks!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£117.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£66.92 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory (£68.98 @ Laptops Direct)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£57.90 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.56 @ Currys PC World Business)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Video Card (£134.97 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Corsair 110R ATX Mid Tower Case (£51.00 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA 600 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£49.97 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Total: £587.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-24 21:31 BST+0100

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Gasmask posted:

Hello. I'm looking to build a brand new system as the last PC I built is now 12 years old. I'm not looking to push the envelope, just play some of the games I missed over the last four or five years at a reasonable level of quality. UK-based. Would prefer to keep it south of £750.

I'd appreciate any input on my initial attempt below and if there are any improvements that could be made. Thanks!

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£66.92 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory (£68.98 @ Laptops Direct)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£57.90 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.56 @ Currys PC World Business)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Video Card (£134.97 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Corsair 110R ATX Mid Tower Case (£51.00 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Total: £587.27
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-24 21:31 BST+0100

Something like this?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£147.90 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£119.40 @ Alza)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£67.54 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£110.00 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card (£159.99 @ Box Limited)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case (£64.95 @ AWD-IT)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£74.98 @ Aria PC)
Total: £744.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-24 21:54 BST+0100

It's MikeC's budget 1080p 60 FPS build with a 3600 instead of a 2600 and the UK vendors basically. For like 3 pounds more you can get a basic M.2 SSD like the WD SN550. If you can spend a bit more a 1660 Super would be a worthwhile upgrade to the video card.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903626&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post499984447

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 24, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gasmask posted:

CPU - the Ryzen 3300X is a better gaming CPU at the same price as the 2600, but stock is a problem. If you're not in a hurry and can camp a bunch of stores for "notify me when available" emails, it's great.

Mobo - is fine as a budget board but does not have diagnostic LEDs. For $5 more the MSI Pro-VDH gets you those, which IMO is $5 well spent if you have any problems during a build.

Video card: The 1050Ti is not a good buy versus a very small amount more for a 1650 Super or RX580.

PSU: I would get this Corsair CX 450 instead, as it is much better quality than the EVGA W. 450 watts is plenty for your build. However the CX 450 only has one PCIe power connector for a GPU, which is a limitation for upgrades to a more powerful video card later.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
:siren:So if you don't check anything but your bookmarks, Lowtax is facing serious sexual abuse allegations and goons everywhere are setting up parachutes incase the forum gets the plug pulled. Be aware.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I have a friend who wants a PC solely to play dead by daylight, what is their best option, preferably under $500, and preferably not built from scratch?

My thought was a refurb and dropping in a 1060 or something, but I don't know squat about pre-built systems.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Hi all,

I'm finally looking at replacing the standard cooler on my Ryzen 2600(non-x so the poo poo cooler), and I've drawn two options:

Coolermaster MA410M ($99 AUD)
Coolermaster ML360R AIO ($199 AUD)

Both seem to review very well for their price points. I know the Dark Rock Pro 4 and Noctua NH D15 are better coolers, but they're significantly more expensive here in Aus. The Cryorig H7 is apparently good at $79, but I don't think it's better than the MA410M.

The ML360R seems to be the absolute best in show for a $200 AIO, and comes with an ARGB controller which is nice. Also I bought RGB ram a few months ago because it was all anyone had, and decided to lean in and go full rainbow lunatic with the ARGB kit because I am an adult and I do what I want.

Trying to decide if the AIO is worth the extra $99, which I could otherwise spend on some nicer fans to replace my 8 year old Fractals. I don't seem to be able to find any reviews comparing the two performance wise.

Edit Guess you'll want a Use Case: I'd like to get this thing to 4ghz+ boost but nothing insane

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Don Dongington posted:

Coolermaster MA410M ($99 AUD)

Edit Guess you'll want a Use Case: I'd like to get this thing to 4ghz+ boost but nothing insane

That air cooler looks like it's just a Hyper 212 evo with an extra fan plus a bunch of RGB. So pretty much a $60 AU cooler + $40 of bling.

Now a decent 2600 will OC to 4ghz all-core with only mild voltage boost (unless you're unlucky with the chip), and do it on an air cooler. But the fans are gonna have to work hard for all-cores load, because that adds like 40 extra watts.

Meanwhile, a noctua U14S is also $99 and is pretty much an idea cooler for your scenario. But it doesn't have RGB.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

Enigma posted:

I have a friend who wants a PC solely to play dead by daylight, what is their best option, preferably under $500, and preferably not built from scratch?

My thought was a refurb and dropping in a 1060 or something, but I don't know squat about pre-built systems.

On the Lenovo outlet there's a PC with a Coffee Lake i5 + a GTX 1650 that seems like the best deal near his budget. It lacks 16GB of RAM, but you should be able to add another DIMM easily and beat out an equivalent refurbished prebuilt + GTX 1650 + SSD from the Dell Outlet.

For reference, though, this is what you get from a custom-built PC (whenever you can find a reasonably priced B450 motherboard) for about the same price after upgrading the RAM in the pre-built. Hyperthreading will generally make the Ryzen better than the i5 in newer games and the Super variant of the 1650 is much more powerful, but the Lenovo is still plenty enough for 60 fps in Dead by Daylight so long as they aren't cranking everything up in the options menu.

demostars fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 25, 2020

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Thanks sean10mm and Klyith. If these old forums get taken down I'll remember that they went down with goons helpin' goons~~

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I made my computer thanks to the sage words of this thread. God damned artisans here

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Can someone critique my thought process?

I want to game in 1440, 60fps at top settings. Running an rx580 at the moment. I tend to play AAA games from a few years ago - currently Witcher 3 and Ark, next will be Hellblade and then Prey. My thought process is:

A 5700XT should do the job for my requirements

They can be had for £350 these days and probably won't quickly go down much further once the new generation of cards is out.

I don't need the extra performance of the next generation cards yet as the 5700XT is enough for 60fps 1440.

The cool ray tracing stuff and DLSS isn't used by many games yet so I can just get that at my next upgrade in a couple of years, probably with a faster monitor too at that point.

Have I made any incorrect assumptions? I'm basically looking to justify a purchase, don't want to feel sad about it in a month or two though!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
So my friend's computer caught fire the other day and I figured I'd ask for a quick recommendation for parts since neither of us really know a lot about hardware.

What country are you in?
Sweden

What are you using the system for?
Vidya Games and Chromium (which I assume is just a 2x in RAM requirements)

What's your budget?
A lot. $1500 sounds like a good number but there's wiggle room based on what you think is reasonable.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate?
Right now it's 144hz 1920x1080 but he'll probably get a new one a bit down the line. He also has a HTC Vive. It should run modern stuff at top settings if it's not too big of a price difference between top and near top.

The chassi he has is really nice and unhurt and probably storage too (we don't want to check because, well, fire. Let's assume it is for this and we'll figure it out if not) for now but he'll want to replace everything else. A monitor doesn't need to be included in this right now, that's a later issue, but it's good if the computer can handle a monitor upgrade a bit down the line.

This thread is amazing and you all answering questions in here are also amazing. Thank you all for existing.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

demostars posted:

On the Lenovo outlet there's a PC with a Coffee Lake i5 + a GTX 1650 that seems like the best deal near his budget. It lacks 16GB of RAM, but you should be able to add another DIMM easily and beat out an equivalent refurbished prebuilt + GTX 1650 + SSD from the Dell Outlet.

For reference, though, this is what you get from a custom-built PC (whenever you can find a reasonably priced B450 motherboard) for about the same price after upgrading the RAM in the pre-built. Hyperthreading will generally make the Ryzen better than the i5 in newer games and the Super variant of the 1650 is much more powerful, but the Lenovo is still plenty enough for 60 fps in Dead by Daylight so long as they aren't cranking everything up in the options menu.

Great, thank you! I'll pass it along.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Man with Hat posted:

So my friend's computer caught fire the other day and I figured I'd ask for a quick recommendation for parts since neither of us really know a lot about hardware.

What country are you in?
Sweden

What are you using the system for?
Vidya Games and Chromium (which I assume is just a 2x in RAM requirements)

What's your budget?
A lot. $1500 sounds like a good number but there's wiggle room based on what you think is reasonable.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate?
Right now it's 144hz 1920x1080 but he'll probably get a new one a bit down the line. He also has a HTC Vive. It should run modern stuff at top settings if it's not too big of a price difference between top and near top.

The chassi he has is really nice and unhurt and probably storage too (we don't want to check because, well, fire. Let's assume it is for this and we'll figure it out if not) for now but he'll want to replace everything else. A monitor doesn't need to be included in this right now, that's a later issue, but it's good if the computer can handle a monitor upgrade a bit down the line.

This thread is amazing and you all answering questions in here are also amazing. Thank you all for existing.

Something like this maybe?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (kr1989.00 @ CDON SE)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (kr349.00 @ CDON SE)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (kr1475.00 @ Dustin Home)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (kr1016.56 @ CDON SE)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (kr1588.00 @ CDON SE)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card (kr4987.00 @ CDON SE)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case (kr799.00 @ CDON SE)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (kr1171.00 @ Dustin Home)
Total: kr13374.56 (~$1,433 based on exchange rate?)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-25 16:54 CEST+0200

e: If you have some cash to spare you could move up to a 2070 Super, or you could get something like a 5700 now and down the line get an RTX 30xx series or whatever when they move to >1080p. With a 5700 I think a 3700X would fit in the budget instead of the 3600 (or 3300X), but later this year the next Zen 3 CPUs come out so that might be another case where holding off on spending now vs. later makes sense.

For a small markup you could move from the SN550 to the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro or SN750 which are quite a bit faster on paper (but probably not much IRL)

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 25, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

sean10mm posted:

Something like this maybe?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (kr1989.00 @ CDON SE)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (kr349.00 @ CDON SE)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (kr1475.00 @ Dustin Home)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (kr1016.56 @ CDON SE)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (kr1588.00 @ CDON SE)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card (kr4987.00 @ CDON SE)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case (kr799.00 @ CDON SE)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (kr1171.00 @ Dustin Home)
Total: kr13374.56 (~$1,433 based on exchange rate?)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-25 16:54 CEST+0200

e: If you have some cash to spare you could move up to a 2070 Super, or you could get something like a 5700 now and down the line get an RTX 30xx series or whatever when they move to >1080p. With a 5700 I think a 3700X would fit in the budget instead of the 3600 (or 3300X), but later this year the next Zen 3 CPUs come out so that might be another case where holding off on spending now vs. later makes sense.

I will note that the 3600 comes with a cooler that is perfectly functional unlike Intel's coolers, and while it may be slightly audible if you have an open front case, you can save a little money by sticking to the OEM cooler.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

orange juche posted:

I will note that the 3600 comes with a cooler that is perfectly functional unlike Intel's coolers, and while it may be slightly audible if you have an open front case, you can save a little money by sticking to the OEM cooler.

Yeah, it's more of a nice to have.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Trying to decide on a 650-750w PSU, any thoughts on which of these would be a better option?

https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-toughpower-gf1-tt-premium-edition-ps-tpd-0750fnfaga-1-750w/p/N82E16817153397

https://www.newegg.com/evga-supernova-650-ga-220-ga-0650-x1-650w/p/1HU-00J7-004V5?&quicklink=true

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GTO posted:

Can someone critique my thought process?

A 5700XT should do the job for my requirements

They can be had for £350 these days and probably won't quickly go down much further once the new generation of cards is out.

The next gen looks like it's starting with very high-end boards, so yeah the 5000XT probably won't drop in price unless nvidia drops prices on the 2070 as as part of the 3000 launch. That's possible but it wouldn't be a huge drop, maybe $50.

But we don't know how quickly more video cards will follow on after that. If AMD does Big Navi and then a few months later has a 5000-series replacement that has somewhat better performance and raytrace, that'll drop the value of 5000s pretty quick. That seems unlikely though, and at the soonest that'd be early next year.

As long as the value you're looking for is running games well and not used resale value, I think you'll be fine.

The EVGA has a 10 year warranty, the thermaltake only 5.

VV edit: if the thermaltake definitely has a 10 year warranty I'd actually give it a slight edge over the GA, newegg warranty info page said 5

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 25, 2020

Snow Fire
Oct 29, 2011

Have the 850W version of the Thermaltake GF1 as it was on sale for the same price as the 650W when I got it, been working very well so far and it has flat cables that might work better in the back of a case with less space. Also recall it was reviewed pretty favorably against the Seasonic Focus Plus and Corsair RMx from the tomshardware and kitguru reviews I read about it before I purchased it~

Klyith posted:

The EVGA has a 10 year warranty, the thermaltake only 5.

The thermaltake unit should have a 10 year warranty as it's labeled as such~

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

orange juche posted:

His chassi is Phanteks Enthoo Elite which isn't open but it's basically an apartment in there so the air supply is probably good.

Thanks a lot for the replies! I'm didn't expect you to actually look for swedish prices or I would've just made the budget in SEK in the first place instead of roughly translating it.

Edit: price starts with 1337 so this has to be good.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

I’m going to do a rebuild when zen 3 comes out because my cpu is finally starting to be a issue in what I want to play. From what I understand current motherboards will be compatible with zen 3 with a bios update.

The issue is that I’m currently on Intel and thus would have no way of updating the bios on any motherboard that requires it. Will I just need to wait for zen 3 boards to come out or are there manufacturers ship boards with the latest bios? Kind of wanted to start buying parts in advance so I can take advantage of when things get in stock from day to day due to supply disruptions.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Zikan posted:

I’m going to do a rebuild when zen 3 comes out because my cpu is finally starting to be a issue in what I want to play. From what I understand current motherboards will be compatible with zen 3 with a bios update.

The issue is that I’m currently on Intel and thus would have no way of updating the bios on any motherboard that requires it. Will I just need to wait for zen 3 boards to come out or are there manufacturers ship boards with the latest bios? Kind of wanted to start buying parts in advance so I can take advantage of when things get in stock from day to day due to supply disruptions.

Your options are wait or buy a board that allows for cpu-less flashing. I haven't looked into B550 boards personally so I can't say which those are off the top of my head.

Also, buying parts in advance is generally a bad idea, since you'll be out of the return period before you get to test it, and returns are infinitely more simple that warranty RMAs. There's also the chance that the supply chain works itself out to some degree by the time Zen3 comes out. Of course, it could get worse too....

E:"probably [don't buy] this second because board availability and prices are kind of poo poo at the moment." Also this.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 25, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

efb

Zikan posted:

Get a board with usb bios flashback feature if you don't want to worry about it.

But probably not this second because board availability and prices are kind of poo poo at the moment.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I'm bored so here is my personal master genius plan, everybody is obviously free to critique it, I've basically gone from "not paying attention since the i5-6600K was hot" to "read every goddamn thing for weeks and Get Some Opinions on poo poo" so I definitely could have missed something.

Main purpose is gaming. Target is 1440p@144 in modern titles with high settings, without having to think about upgrading again for years.

(Part of my master genius plan is to wait for Zen 3 and/or RTX 30xx to come out unless they get stupidly delayed, so CPU/GPU definitely aren't set in stone.)

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($274.49 @ Newegg) Or whatever the Zen 3 version of this is.
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg) A lot of X570 boards around this price lack USB type C front panel connector, debug LEDs and bios flashback, and I really don't see needing more than 1x PCIe 4.0 video card and 1x PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD. I'm also happy to not have a chipset fan.
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($81.99 @ Newegg).
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon) Or WD SN750 depending on what is on sale at the time. Or mayyyyyybe there will be a PCIE 4.0 SSD worth looking at by then?
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg) Or whatever RTX 30xx is around this price point.
Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($148.89 @ B&H) I want to move away from more closed off case designs to one with better airflow, but without being just stupidly loud. Size isn't a negative for me either. I also don't want any LED bling poo poo or windows.
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Corsair) Hopefully good PSU prices will be done being super inflated by then...
Total: $1514.08

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

This thread and y'alls have helped me a lot so thanks.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Argas posted:

This thread and y'alls have helped me a lot so thanks.
Me too. Big time. If this place gets nuked from orbit, I will miss this thread a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Klyith posted:

All-in-one water coolers from corsair, NZXT, and arctic are good as long as your case has at least a 240mm radiator mounting. 120mm radiator AIOs are worthless for anything but specialty SFF use.

But generally AIO water is not a huge performance leap above a big air cooler. If your case can fit a Noctua NH-D15, you will have a cooler that lasts forever and is within a few degrees performance of the best AIOs.

There are games which flat-out don't support SLI. Unfortunately you got suckered into buying 2 video cards right about when game devs were realizing that it wasn't worth supporting the tiny fraction of the market with SLI, and most enthusiasts were abandoning the idea.

Huh, sadly, it turns out that is the exact fan I have, and I can't overclock it to even 4.00ghz and keep it stable. Boo. Oh, even better, I appear to have bricked my pc trying to test it's stability at 3.8. Cool. I'm an idiot.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 25, 2020