Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If money is not an object, Albion Swords and Arms and Armor make great replicas.

Solo training material for HEMA of any kind is kind of scarce, unfortunately. The Bolognese sources are the only period material I can think of that have any meaningful stuff for solo practice. They've got stuff for the single sword (and you can entirely well use a simple cross-hilted sword for it), sword and buckler, and two-handed sword, and some polearms and other stuff besides.

However, if you just want to get training, I'd recommend checking this out:

10 Beers posted:

Figured there might some interest in this here. Guy Windsor is offering his online training course for $20. Normally $500, so jump on it if you're interested!

https://swordschool.teachable.com/p/solo-training
I've trained with Guy and his stuff is honestly pretty good. I might quibble about certain details of his interpretations but I've found his teaching materials very solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's perfect! I'm going nuts not being able to go to my jiu-jitsu/mma gym, and you may have just saved my sanity, thank you!

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yo, US Fencing members, go vote! It's in your email inbox (the one tied to your USFA membership)!

I know no one's been to a club since March, but elections are happening for a bunch of stuff, like president and board members. I don't know what all is on the ballot, because I'm a ref that doesn't have a full membership.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Siivola posted:

If money is not an object, Albion Swords and Arms and Armor make great replicas.

Solo training material for HEMA of any kind is kind of scarce, unfortunately. The Bolognese sources are the only period material I can think of that have any meaningful stuff for solo practice. They've got stuff for the single sword (and you can entirely well use a simple cross-hilted sword for it), sword and buckler, and two-handed sword, and some polearms and other stuff besides.

However, if you just want to get training, I'd recommend checking this out:

I've trained with Guy and his stuff is honestly pretty good. I might quibble about certain details of his interpretations but I've found his teaching materials very solid.

Guy's stuff is definitely solid.

You can work a lot of the saber/backsword/broadsword cuts with an arming sword as well. Roworth's not a terrible place to start to get a feel for basic cuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d_ulKNRCkk

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

What's the deal with the US fencing elections? Pretty standard stuff, or are there a bunch of sordid stories and skeletons in closets?

I am super happy right now because I managed to pull off The Move tonight. Tall opponent comes at me with high line and high hand, so I false parry sixte and then, instead of going for a parry quarte with a step back, take prime, hold the blade, then step in and flick the stomach. I don't care that he figured out he doesn't need to put up with my poo poo and destroyed me 5-0 with clean bladework and great distance control in the next bout, that one point was so goddamn good.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Crazy Achmed posted:

What's the deal with the US fencing elections?

Dunno. I keep getting tweets like "remember to vote!" and I have no idea who any of those people are.

Nice work on that prime-flick move. I'm a sabre type, but I've been doing some foil against my son in quarantine and my infighting and flicks are terrible.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

You guys are actually practicing?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You guys are actually practicing?

In two ways.

1. My son fences, so we go out and fence outdoors. He's been doing it for a long time, so he slaughters me, but hopefully I'm giving him more of a challenge than a static dummy target.

2. Our club is semi-open. The owner took advantage of the time they were closed to re-do the place; it has a fresh new paintjob and looks really good. About three weeks ago the city lifted some of the restrictions and they did a limited opening. It's only scheduled lessons with coaches. You show up and they (the coach) lets you in. You have to wear a mask at all times and keep distance - no handshakes. Only a max of ten people are allowed in at any time - the place is pretty big (a former auto garage) so there's space to spread out. You go to a strip and do a lesson, then go home. It's well regulated and they're taking it seriously, so I'm okay with it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Oh I'm not complaining..just jealous. We're currently discussing how to open back up.
How are you finding practicing with masks?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

You get used to it pretty quick. The big problem is getting it to sit right; it's easy to dislodge it when you put your fencing mask on over it. I think the trick is to keep one hand on your chin keeping the Covid mask on while you pull the fencing mask on and then pull it down by the bib over the Covid mask.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

What's the deal with the US fencing elections? Pretty standard stuff, or are there a bunch of sordid stories and skeletons in closets?

Eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh.

It's also over now, so it doesn't matter a whole bunch. The president wasn't re-elected, a lot of others were. I didn't know much about the main elections but had some preferences. For the ref elections, I abstained, because I just couldn't make a choice of one or the other and would be fine with either candidate.

Cessna posted:

Dunno. I keep getting tweets like "remember to vote!" and I have no idea who any of those people are.

Unless you show up to national events a fair bit or live near one of the candidates, that's to be expected. I go to most events and there were still a couple I do not know in the slightest.

Oh I'm not complaining..just jealous. We're currently discussing how to open back up.

With Leon Paul branded shields!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Haha, some of the kendo gear manufacturers are doing similar:

https://www.e-bogu.com/Mouth-Mask-for-Kendo-TB-19-Tsuba-Blocker-19-p/hir-pro-tsubablock-tb19.htm
Pretty sure this will be worse than wearing a mask.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh, I should have mentioned, I'm in New Zealand, we are pretty bloody lucky and are down to just one known active case here now. Fingers crossed there aren't a ton more in the wild that we don't know about.
A couple of weeks ago clubs were completely closed, but in the last few days restrictions have been lifted a whole lot - the bigger club that I go to has a max of 40 people allowed at one time, no handshaking or sharing of gear, and contact tracing at the door.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Our club is open for limited fencing again. Max occupancy of 20 people, mandatory masks at all times, gloves/hand sanitizer and temperature checks at the door, no borrowed or loaner gear, etc.

It's good to be back. You can tell who practiced and who didn't.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yo, I know this thread's tiny and not very popular, but I enjoyed being able to peek in at goons trying (and failing) to stab people. Luckily we could all migrate over to F.net if this goes boom!*

If any of y'all end up at a NAC or (US) regional event, feel free to say "hi." I'll likely be rocking a bridge-tentacle lapel pin in the epee land. Just, uhh, call me "Bird" or mention SA. Don't be a weirdo asking about stairs in my house please; I try to be a professional at that level.

*This is a joke. Those forums are gone and are, basically, over at r/fencing now. It's about the same level of qualified advice though. :geno:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

We start (kendo) again on Sunday, with special face shields and mask. It's gonna suck, but it's better than not doing kendo.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

BirdOfPlay posted:

If any of y'all end up at a NAC or (US) regional event, feel free to say "hi."

I'll be the old guy fencing sabre.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

We start (kendo) again on Sunday, with special face shields and mask. It's gonna suck, but it's better than not doing kendo.

Yeah, we have theoretical approval to go back to small group outdoor work in July, but given the state of things are just going to not. Another couple months vs someone taking COVID home to their kids is an easy decision.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cessna posted:

I'll be the old guy fencing sabre.

I know there are only like fifty of you fuckers, but that only narrows it down to, like, 12. :argh:

Plus, I stopped reffing sabre a while ago and focus on epee nowadays. This will mean that I'll be a little pissy cause the current Div1 format takes forever. Thank God it ain't repechage, though

Seriously, I'm pretty nervous about how the next NAC will go. Like, I don't think things will have sufficiently cooled down in ~3 months, but we've also gotta start selection for NeoTokyo 2021. The thought of being at a NAC in this climate is legitimately terrifying. A sizeable chunk of the cadre being 60+ is one I don't want to dwell on too much, either.

Stay safe! USFA is still keeping things locked down, but, like the CFF (Canadian Fencing Federation) it seems, we just started allowing lessons to begin again.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bah, I cant tell the date, obviously..one more week to go.
BC got it mostly under control. Infection rate been steady under 10/day for the last 3-4 weeks.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, who knows what’s going to happen to the forums, but if anybody happens to find themselves in New Zealand and wants to do some stabbing, look me up. I’m usually at the University of Auckland club and have a lot of hair (still figuring out how to control the frizz so I don’t get carded for covering target)

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
^^^Yeah, there's a tentative deal in place.

Bah, I cant tell the date, obviously..one more week to go.
BC got it mostly under control. Infection rate been steady under 10/day for the last 3-4 weeks.

Yeah, I saw that Ontario is only allowing practice (but no bouting, I think) until the 2-meter rule is withdrawn.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

First practice last week and it wasn't pretty.
Tried to be clever and use a merino buff has 'mask' as it breathes easier and doesn't feel as hot, but in reality it just got sucked into my mouth and nose.
Works well, if you aren't working hard :).
Ordered some rebook/adidas 'athletes' masks instead. Really don't want to use cotton.

Also found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YieVJs1khsI
Footsweeps are allowed in the Japanese police tournaments. It's (correctly) deemed too dangerous in other tournaments and will give you warning or even DQ in other tournaments.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

That’s brutal. But if it was safer, it could be fun and hilarious.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Crazy Achmed posted:

That’s brutal. But if it was safer, it could be fun and hilarious.
That first slam where the unlucky guy landed right on the back of his head was potentially murderous. Luckily the floor is bouncy and gave a bit when he impacted.

The protection for the back of the head thats used in HEMA could make this safe however. The stronger padding usually used in HEMA for the jacket and the arms/legs/joints helps too.

Nektu fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 10, 2020

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Nektu posted:

The protection for the back of the head thats used in HEMA could make this safe however.
Not until HEMA people learn to wear fencing masks that fit. :v: If this had been a HEMA competition, the mask would have been halfway to the stands by the time the dude hit the floor.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Siivola posted:

Not until HEMA people learn to wear fencing masks that fit. :v: If this had been a HEMA competition, the mask would have been halfway to the stands by the time the dude hit the floor.
So they probably don't even use padding underneath?

Holy poo poo, I cant imagine fencing without a well fitting, padded mask.

We had an instances with a well executed stab that slammed the mask so hard against the guys forehead that he got himself a small cut and a headache. Granted, he was jumping forward at the time the stab hit so the force added up, but afterwards we re-evaluated our armor game.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's the thing, lots of people seem to go a size up to fit a rugby cap in there because they don't want to get bonked on the head, and honestly I do get that. The issue is, if the mask doesn't fit snug to their actual head it can turn and twist and, in bad cases, fall right off in the action. The mask's own padding should rest squarely on the bit of forehead between your brow and hairline, and snugly both against and under your chin. Speaking with a mask on should not be 100% comfortable.

I'm absolutely convinced that a poorly-fitting mask is the culprit in all cases of "waffles" where the mesh of the mask doesn't permanently deform but still somehow hits the fencer in the face hard enough to draw blood.

Edit: Full disclosure I've never gone hard in my life and I'm just shouting from my armchair here. But like, come on if the mask is apparently fine afterwards, surely it's turned on the head??

Siivola fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 10, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That's actually something I like better about SCA cut & thrust. Most of the people I fenced (back when fencing in person was a thing) wore fencing helms instead of three weapon masks.

Even a relatively light steel helmet, strapped and padded properly, is way better to take a shot to the crown of the head in.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7n7joTINmI

I'm on the left, and I get the point.

I know, I need to work on footwork.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cessna posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7n7joTINmI

I'm on the left, and I get the point.

I know, I need to work on footwork.

Good timing.

So, as expected, USA Fencing has postponed most events for the opening of the season. Regional events slowly start in October with youth circuit, but the first NAC is now going to be the January one in Atlanta. The new NAC schedule has yet to be posted, but it will likely be very different from a traditional schedule. January is, usually, the last Div 1 NAC with Champs in April, but that won't be enough for selection. Also, top-level fencers will need to be making international appearances as well to make the cut for the Olympics.

This, of course, presupposes that the US quarantine is lifted by Tokyo, much less once the international season picks up.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Article on my club's wheelchair fencing program here.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Man that is really cool, wheelchair is brutal and awesome. Honestly, one of the best things about fencing is that the method of scoring a touch - just gently bop someone with your weapon - is a great leveller in terms of you not needing to lift anything heavy, swing a bat or kick a ball with great force, etc. it goes a long way to making the sport surprisingly accessible.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Yeah, it's all speed, no force is really necessary.

I've been doing some foil on the slide lately. Sabre will always be my favorite, but foil is a lot of fun.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, while kendo (and all other martial arts) are shut down, fencing isn't....so I'm having a trial lesson on Wednesday.
I kinda intended to try after getting my 5th dan, but realised I still had too much to learn, but with no kendo, any kind of poking people with swords will do.

I have no idea of how they run this safely, but it's a well established club, so I assume that their safety plan has been approved.

I'm also debating of asking to fence left handed as that would ultimately benefit my kendo footwork the most..although I am right handed. (reasonable dexterous with the left hand, though)...but we'll see :).

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So, while kendo (and all other martial arts) are shut down, fencing isn't....so I'm having a trial lesson on Wednesday.
I kinda intended to try after getting my 5th dan, but realised I still had too much to learn, but with no kendo, any kind of poking people with swords will do.

I have no idea of how they run this safely, but it's a well established club, so I assume that their safety plan has been approved.

I'm also debating of asking to fence left handed as that would ultimately benefit my kendo footwork the most..although I am right handed. (reasonable dexterous with the left hand, though)...but we'll see :).

You know you have to do the joke at some point, right?

Fencing left-handed when you're right-hand dominant requires the joke.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Only if I'm fencing a guy called Inigo, right?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You can also do it against any masked opponent, but you might end up getting dunked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Is Absolute Fencing gear worth it? I mean, I'll get the 350N gear, but it still seems very cheap.
https://www.absolutefencinggear.com/shopping/