Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Watched Betaal on Netflix, it was good, if kinda predictable. The "Hard Brexit" line was an incredible one liner that i really have to give props to the writer for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Not the Frank Miller adaptation I was expecting to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XelS6fQbuo

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Aw man, I as really hoping that would look good. But instead, it looks bad. Bummer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

7500 is intense.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

The world of Hannibal is kind of hiliarious because everyone falls into three categories or a combination of them:

1. A murderer
2. Someone who studies murderers (I'm lumping in the autopsy bozos here)
3. Someone who has been murdered or is about to be murdered

There's one character that doesn't fit into any of these three, but I'm pretty sure they'll sort out into category 3 eventually. (I've just seen Season 1 so far)

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Survival tip for Hannibal, quickly establish that you have seen a lot of true crime documentaries and read way too many wikipedia pages about murderers so that you get lumped into category 2.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the general trend for Hannibal is all of those categories are constantly converging lol

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

veni veni veni posted:

7500 is intense.
Yeah, some parts fell flat for me but overall it was a nice surprise. I like how matter-of-fact it was in its portrayal of all the flying stuff, and the fact that the pilots stuck to procedure when other movies might have had them act irrationally for plot reasons.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I finished Hannibal the other day. Thought about bailing at certain points but I’m glad I stuck with it. I respected the insanity of the third season and the ending really made me appreciate the overall story a lot more.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm still pissed about the fact that they couldn't do Silence Of The Lambs for a completely stupid reason (apparently Lifetime owned the TV rights to Clarice Starling)

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Does anyone know why Shout Factory’s streaming app is missing episodes of MST3K? Alien from LA, Kitten with a Whip, and Invasion USA all seem to be missing from the app

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
So I used to like the absurd stunts he pulled, but it turns out I am not Eric Andre's target audience anymore, if I ever was.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Deadite posted:

Does anyone know why Shout Factory’s streaming app is missing episodes of MST3K? Alien from LA, Kitten with a Whip, and Invasion USA all seem to be missing from the app

They're not on the Shoutfactory TV site either. For whatever reason they pulled them. No idea why.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Deadite posted:

Alien from LA, Kitten with a Whip, and a couple dozen others are available on MST3K's official Youtube channel, for what it's worth. No Invasion USA, though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Finished The Great last night, and absolutely loved it. Very dark, very funny, and amazing performances by Nicholas Hoult and Elle Fanning. Hoping we don't have to wait an eternity for a new season.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Nightmare fuel at its finest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ4FrgGILM8

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 24, 2020

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Oh poo poo. New Twilight Zone is on Amazon Prime??!!

NVM. Only showing first season for pay :(

JustWatch show season 2, ep 1 https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show/the-twilight-zone-2019/season-2

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

On the one hand, where is CG Robert Stack (rip 2003, drat). On the other hand I want to solve all the mysteries now

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Surprised me, but there's a new season of Twilight Zone up on CBS All Access. I think it's free for a limited time? I'll eventually watch it, but has anyone tried? The first season was bad to very bad, so I don't have high hopes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh hey, Knives Out is on Amazon Prime!

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I weirdly associate Knives Out with Ready or Not because it seems like they used the same house.

(They probably didn't, but it looks similar)

AAAAND I'm rewatching Ready or Not. Godddamn Samara Weaving can scream.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fartington Butts posted:

I weirdly associate Knives Out with Ready or Not because it seems like they used the same house.

(They probably didn't, but it looks similar)

AAAAND I'm rewatching Ready or Not. Godddamn Samara Weaving can scream.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who always gets those mixed up.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Thirding the weird mental correlation. Similarity of the house, came out the same year, both involve murder and mystery, etc. I'm not sure what points connect them in my head but they are for sure linked.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Does Seinfeld hold up to a re-watch? I need a mindless show I can put on while I work on things.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Class Warcraft posted:

Does Seinfeld hold up to a re-watch? I need a mindless show I can put on while I work on things.

I'd say everything except the first season which is pretty short. Between Seinfeld and King of the Hill, they've both basically cycled my TV at night for literal years when I'm working on something.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Watching Minority Report for the first time, and for a movie set in the future it sure does scream "early 2000s" more than anything else.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

BisterdDave posted:

Watching Minority Report for the first time, and for a movie set in the future it sure does scream "early 2000s" more than anything else.
Even at the time it looked more like it was set in Tom Cruise's ego than anything else

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Thirding the weird mental correlation. Similarity of the house, came out the same year, both involve murder and mystery, etc. I'm not sure what points connect them in my head but they are for sure linked.

They're both pretty great. They're both mostly satires on the rich. They both have female protagonists.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Nicholas and Alexandra has recently been put on Prime Video. It's a turgid, overlong British historical epic from 1971 that clocks in at 3 hours and change. Everyone acts the gently caress out of their roles. Recently deceased Ian Holm has a small but important part. It's definitely on my top 10 list of movies for a hungover afternoon.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Nicholas and Alexandra has recently been put on Prime Video. It's a turgid, overlong British historical epic from 1971 that clocks in at 3 hours and change. Everyone acts the gently caress out of their roles. Recently deceased Ian Holm has a small but important part. It's definitely on my top 10 list of movies for a hungover afternoon.

Tom Baker as Rasputin, a few years before he got the Doctor Who gig. A really strong performance.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Tom Baker as Rasputin, a few years before he got the Doctor Who gig. A really strong performance.

I've never been a Whovian but that dude does a good job

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story is on Netflix and I forgot just how funny it is. This movie is a perfect parody of music biopics and is absolutely loaded with great jokes. The running gags all work. If you need a laugh (and who doesn't right now?) give it a watch or a rewatch.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Class Warcraft posted:

Definitely, some of the situations are dated but all the performances are classic.

I wish there was a way to watch it without Jerry's standup in the early seasons, it's just sooooo bad.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I've watched 5 episodes of the second season of Nu Twilight Zone and it is just as terrible as the first season. I don't get why why is this so awful. I trust Jordan Peele. I even like cheesy anthologies. I like the 80's Twilight Zone. I even like the godawful 90's Outer Limits! But I hate this and I don't get it.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Jolo posted:

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story is on Netflix and I forgot just how funny it is. This movie is a perfect parody of music biopics and is absolutely loaded with great jokes. The running gags all work. If you need a laugh (and who doesn't right now?) give it a watch or a rewatch.

It's the best music biopic of all time. Talladega Nights is up there next to League of their Own as far as sports movies go, too.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I just finished watching "The Unauthorized Bash Brothers Experience" for the 10th time and I feel like it's criminally underrated. I legit enjoy the songs and it's got such a great mix of super short and long gags.

Jolo posted:

I love SO MUCH about this movie, but one thing I just remembered is how funny it is to watch it with people for the first time because they don't always realize Dewey destroying a sink is a running bit until he's sad and sees like 20 of em

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

It's a decent sci-fi LA Confidential basically

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

Poor Minority Report. Two years later and you could have used digital grading. But you had to use a godawful bleach bypass and you look like dogshit.

Hot tip: if you want to watch Minority Report, turn your TV's color down to 0. It makes it far, far more tolerable visually.

It's a movie with huge tonal swings from goofy to gritty. I want to watch either one, but not both. Would've been far better as the Total Recall sequel it started life as.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

feedmyleg posted:

Poor Minority Report. Two years later and you could have used digital grading. But you had to use a godawful bleach bypass and you look like dogshit.

Hot tip: if you want to watch Minority Report, turn your TV's color down to 0. It makes it far, far more tolerable visually.

It's a movie with huge tonal swings from goofy to gritty. I want to watch either one, but not both. Would've been far better as the Total Recall sequel it started life as.

Fun fact: total recall and minority report were both originally written by Phillip k dick. He famously wrote brilliant short stories that Hollywood continues to make into lovely films (paycheck anyone?). Turns out it’s pretty hard to make short form, high concept stories into feature length films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've never been a Whovian but that dude does a good job

Also seek out Mutations/The Freakmaker where he plays a nasty guy with elephantitis, and Golden Voyage of Sinbad where he's an evil sorcerer.