Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Magnetic North posted:

Two questions:

1: How do you suggest someone get an idea of what switches they might like in the world of Covid where we can't just touch keyboards in a store?
2: Is there a resource where you can go "I want a keyboard with X features, Y features, etc?" outside of asking here or Reddit? I see the mechanical keyboards vendor linked above, but they don't include things like "has a Num/scroll lock indicator light" in their search as far as I can tell.

1. You can order switch testers online, but it's really not the best way to know if you like a switch. It gives you some idea because you can feel what an individual switch would feel like. But there's really nothing better than typing on a full keyboard. An individual switch might feel nice, but once you actually use it daily, you might not like it. (example are heavy switches, nice individually, but you might find it fatiguing typing on it daily or holding certain keys like shift, etc.)

Honestly your best bet is to get a keyboard with hotswappable switches and just experiment along the way. Your taste in switches change the more you try the ones that are out there.

2. Most mech keyboards aren't even fullsized these days so numlock and scroll lock aren't available as a key. Light indicators aren't really a priority in custom keyboards, but there are PCB's that have them. Prebuilt keyboards usually have them, but you'll really just have to find reviews or look up photos of them. Should be fairly obvious for some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ardlen posted:

I'd like to get a wired 104 key with some heavy tactile switches. I'll probably use it forever, so a durable model is ideal.

What's the difference between the wasd V3, Leopold 900R, or Ducky One 2 keyboards other than a ~$50-100 swing in price?

(I did like the WASD 67g Zealios, but they're $50 more than WASD MX Clears.)

Are there other keyboards I should be looking at?

I'm very happy with my Code with MX Clears. It's probably the only board I own that I have not modified and never will.
The only downside is that it's a touch noisy and the Cherry stems are wobbly as all gently caress compared to the box architecture switches I've been buying lately.

Can I build a better board? Totally. And I have several times over.
Can I do it at the price I paid for my open box v1 Code? Hell no.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Ardlen posted:

I'd like to get a wired 104 key with some heavy tactile switches. I'll probably use it forever, so a durable model is ideal.

What's the difference between the wasd V3, Leopold 900R, or Ducky One 2 keyboards other than a ~$50-100 swing in price?

(I did like the WASD 67g Zealios, but they're $50 more than WASD MX Clears.)

Are there other keyboards I should be looking at?

The differences between those 3 is going to be build quality and/or features.
Leopold is going to have better keycaps and stabilizers, but you won't get backlighting.
WASD and Ducky are on par with each other. Pick whichever one has the features/switches/price/style you want.

Additional boards to consider:
- Durgod: Just another option in the same group as WASD and Ducky.
- GMMK Full-size: Gives you a hotswap board, which gives you the flexibility to change out the switches in the future. RGB as well
- ikbc MF108: A bit more expensive than the others, but you'd get an aluminum case. But only tactile option is Cherry Brown.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Magnetic North posted:

Two questions:

1: How do you suggest someone get an idea of what switches they might like in the world of Covid where we can't just touch keyboards in a store?
2: Is there a resource where you can go "I want a keyboard with X features, Y features, etc?" outside of asking here or Reddit? I see the mechanical keyboards vendor linked above, but they don't include things like "has a Num/scroll lock indicator light" in their search as far as I can tell.

Get a hot-swap keyboard. I use a 47-key board for my tester, so it only costs maybe $12-20 to try a set of switches. If you don't care about clipping PCB legs off of switches a GMMK compact is readily available, but you'd need to buy 8 packs of switches instead of 5 to fill it out.

A switch tester isn't all that useful, as there is a huge difference between pressing one key and typing on a full set, but it can be useful to narrow down what switches to try if you have no idea whatsoever.

Looks like you missed the recent group-buy for the UT47.2 boards. They're probably the cheapest pcb-compatible hot-swap boards (~45USD for the sandwich case). You may want to keep an eye on the group buy at keyhive as there are usually additional units available after the boards are fabricated.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Get a hot-swap keyboard. I use a 47-key board for my tester, so it only costs maybe $12-20 to try a set of switches. If you don't care about clipping PCB legs off of switches a GMMK compact is readily available, but you'd need to buy 8 packs of switches instead of 5 to fill it out.

A switch tester isn't all that useful, as there is a huge difference between pressing one key and typing on a full set, but it can be useful to narrow down what switches to try if you have no idea whatsoever.

Looks like you missed the recent group-buy for the UT47.2 boards. They're probably the cheapest pcb-compatible hot-swap boards (~45USD for the sandwich case). You may want to keep an eye on the group buy at keyhive as there are usually additional units available after the boards are fabricated.

Seconding getting a hot swap board for testing. I use a 60% that allows PCB mount switches to be used, the 1up keyboards HSE or HTE, though going my route would be a bit more.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
There's also the GK61 (non-optical) for a cheap hotswappable 60% board

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
The only good mini keyboard is the hhkb

Fight me

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

LaughingWallaby posted:

If you're worried about putting the arrow keys or brackets on another layer (like on the Planck), you could instead get a larger ortholinear board like KPRepublic's xd75re which is a 5x15 grid of keys.

Keep in mind that shipping from China may be quite slow at this time. Also, using a 40% layout is kinda fun once you get over the initial learning curve.

E.: since you mentioned wanting ergonomics without needing to learn a new layout, maybe something like the Quefrency might be preferable. (The Quefrency might need soldering to assemble though)

Personally I've found that splitting the halves of the keyboard has been more beneficial than using an ortholinear layout.
Thanks for the suggestions! I hadn't thought about 60%-65% layouts, but those seem like an easier jump than down to the 40%.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Malcolm XML posted:

The only good mini keyboard is the hhkb

Fight me

Replace the spacebar with 3-4 keys and I'll agree. A HHKB Topre with split space would be so amazing.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Replace the spacebar with 3-4 keys and I'll agree. A HHKB Topre with split space would be so amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/PFU-Keyboard-Professional-Capacitance-non-contact/dp/B001KWJTD6

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Just add this https://kbdfans.com/blogs/interest-checks/case-compatible-with-hhkb-keyboard

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I just picked up a Varmillo TKL. Despite also being MX Browns - it is a 100% better board than my Corsair gaming keyboard. Like - I am astounded at how nice this is to type on. These keycaps are incredible. Now I'm realizing just how wobbly the corsair keys were too.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Norbauer is working on a HHKB replacement case https://www.keebtalk.com/t/ic-the-heavy-grail-a-norbauer-housing-for-the-hhkb/9136/20

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Lowness 72 posted:

I just picked up a Varmillo TKL. Despite also being MX Browns - it is a 100% better board than my Corsair gaming keyboard. Like - I am astounded at how nice this is to type on. These keycaps are incredible. Now I'm realizing just how wobbly the corsair keys were too.

Yeah, I have a Varmilo 68% and I think just the weight of the board/the better materials makes a huge difference as well.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

quote:

Cost will likely be around $650.

No

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Just ordered an iKBC CD108BT. I've been working from home and using a spare Magic Keyboard with my work laptop (PC, not Mac), but I was frustrated with the lack of a number pad, especially since my job is fairly quant intensive. It's absolutely overkill, but I plan on building a PC later this year/early next year, so I figured I'd get something that'll last

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 21, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Just got my Hako Royal Navy switches in.
Popped them in my GMMK and they feel REALLY good. Super heavy but also nice and smooth.

I had planned on putting Hako Clears in my Durgod k310 Nebula but now I'm starting to have second thoughts...

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
Looks like my Mecha Mini (Silent Reds) is on another delay (Went from June 1st to June 15, June 28th and now July 18th). I am also in the market for a good TKL, originally I wanted Cherry Blues since I would be using my TKL for typing mostly but with all the delays on the Mecha Mini what is a good TKL under $200 that I can get with some Cherry Browns (Unless something else is better for gaming and typing doesn't have to be cherry I am just more familiar with them). I would like a heavy base if possible and a backlight, RGB is nice an all but I never use it to the full effect so as long as the keys are illuminated I will be happy.

Sirbloody fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 22, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sirbloody posted:

Looks like my Mecha Mini (Silent Reds) is on another delay (Went from June 1st to June 15, June 28th and now July 18th). I am also in the market for a good TKL, originally I wanted Cherry Blues since I would be using my TKL for typing mostly but with all the delays on the Mecha Mini what is a good TKL under $200 that I can get with some Cherry Browns (Unless something else is better for gaming and typing doesn't have to be cherry I am just more familiar with them). I would like a heavy base if possible and a backlight, RGB is nice an all but I never use it to the full effect so as long as the keys are illuminated I will be happy.

Durgod makes possibly the heaviest and most-sturdy non-metal keyboard I've used.
Assuming you're not into building your own I would highly recommend them. Good luck finding one that will get here sooner though. I got mine through a Massdrop group buy and the only other ones are from Alibaba and quite a bit more expensive than what I paid.

As for Cherry switches, don't pigeon-hole yourself into focusing on those. There's actually a lot of knock-offs that are better.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I've said this before Massdrop needs to send the loving Ctrl High Profile I bought before i lose my patience :mad:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
So apparently mini keyboards that have animals are a thing - I saw that there’s by Xiki but they’re sold out. Any other reputable places to get one of those?

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Durgod makes possibly the heaviest and most-sturdy non-metal keyboard I've used.
Assuming you're not into building your own I would highly recommend them. Good luck finding one that will get here sooner though. I got mine through a Massdrop group buy and the only other ones are from Alibaba and quite a bit more expensive than what I paid.

As for Cherry switches, don't pigeon-hole yourself into focusing on those. There's actually a lot of knock-offs that are better.

If I had the time/patience I would build my own, as for the switched I have only ever used Cherry but I am open to whatever pretty much.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I just got mine from amazon a few days ago, fwiw.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Hey guys, given the uncertainty and weirdness of what's going with the future of SA, I thought maybe it'd be nice to have a Discord.

Now mind you, this thread isn't really too active to warrant one, but hey, why not right? (now obviously if this forum does die, then reddit and geekhack is the best resource)

Feel free to join here: https://discord.gg/6bDqNCZ

The Unlife Aquatic, NonDescript Van, please reach out to me and I can give you guys admin/mod access for all the work in the OP. Same goes for the top posters in the thread e.g. (mewse, HappyCapybaraFamily, teethgrinder, LochNessMonster, etc.)

Don't mean to tread on anyone's toes obviously.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 24, 2020

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
drat, I didn't realize how much shitposting I'd done in this thread :v:

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

This is almost perfect. Not sure why it has an ISO return key but not an extra 1-u next to shift for a shift-z layout.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Jesus that layout is amazing

Returned something after paying it off now I have a negative balance to blow on something, thinking about buying this self defense tool. 400 sure is a lot for a keyboard, especially one without fkeys but drat if it aint super sexy.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm looking at getting a tenkeyless setup. I'm currently using a Code with Clears. Is there a recommendation of something similar with a TKL setup? I like the feel of the Clears but not tied to the cherry style.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Constellation I posted:

Hey guys, given the uncertainty and weirdness of what's going with the future of SA, I thought maybe it'd be nice to have a Discord.

Now mind you, this thread isn't really too active to warrant one, but hey, why not right? (now obviously if this forum does die, then reddit and geekhack is the best resource)

Feel free to join here: https://discord.gg/6bDqNCZ

The Unlife Aquatic, NonDescript Van, please reach out to me and I can give you guys admin/mod access for all the work in the OP. Same goes for the top posters in the thread e.g. (mewse, HappyCapybaraFamily, teethgrinder, LochNessMonster, etc.)

Don't mean to tread on anyone's toes obviously.

omfg lol ... just searched my name for the first time in years because I'd been a little bit more active recently ... I can't believe it came up here. Probably been years since I posted in this thread, can't believe I ever commented that much. Still figuring out what I'm going to do but will probably join.

On topic, I haven't bought a keyboard or parts for a couple years ... very satisfied with my Planks, Race3 & K-Type. But for whatever reason I bought this sucker: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nuphy/nutype-revolutionizing-the-laptop-typing-experience and the shipping has been a total fiasco due to COVID.

I got notification today that it had arrived FINALLY (after 3+ months) ... and it loving went to my COVID-closed office. (They had assured me it would go to my home address instead.) :bang:

bub
Apr 9, 2001
ffffffffffff

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Jesus that layout is amazing

Returned something after paying it off now I have a negative balance to blow on something, thinking about buying this self defense tool. 400 sure is a lot for a keyboard, especially one without fkeys but drat if it aint super sexy.

I highly recommend picking one up, they are awesome.
Here is mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_XSbMKLLrU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

bub posted:

I highly recommend picking one up, they are awesome.
Here is mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_XSbMKLLrU

oh hey I've already seen your video :whatup:

is that industrial gray and the default US ANSI keys?

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 25, 2020

bub
Apr 9, 2001
ffffffffffff

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

oh hey I've already seen your video :whatup:

is that industrial gray and the default US ANSI keys?

That is indeed industrial gray, the layout I chose has a HHKB-style split right shift with normal size backspace. I feel a little guilty because my keyboard shipped only a few days after placing the order because I selected unprinted keys and a less popular layout. Some folks who ordered printed keys have been waiting a long time (years even) since the dye-sub printing operation is still being finalized.

My favorite feature is definitely the cast zinc case. The heftiness of these boards is remarkable.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
dear keyboard thread: please help me find a keyboard. I would like to upgrade to the world of Nice Keyboard Havers and doing something with custom keycaps and etc. sounds really fun, but I'm really used to some features of my current keyboard and how they fit into my work/life and can't seem to find something good that meets all the requirements.

Right now I have a Logitech G110, and it has some features that are really important to me: media keys, numpad, at least one USB port, 3.5mm jacks for headphone and mic and hardware mute buttons for those jacks. The closest I can find is a Razer Blackwidow, but it has a single TRRS 3.5 jack (and is also from Razer, and I think their products kind of suck). Basically I use a headset with separate lines for headphones and microphone, have the microphone plugged into the keyboard, and can have the headset plugged into either my speaker's headphones port (all computer audio goes through to me) or into my keyboard (Discord audio routes to the headset, regular audio goes through speakers. I guess I could do with one of either the 3.5mm jacks or the USB port, and get a USB to 2x3.5mm adapter, but having both is kind of handy. Obviously using the USB connection for my headset means I need to get used to muting myself some other way (my current headset has a lift-to-mute, I could get used to that, or if the keyboard has macro keys I could set up a macro to mute Discord/Zoom/etc.), but hardware switches with 3.5mm ports would be ideal.

I don't give a poo poo about backlighting, but it can be nice sometimes, and I'm not super particular about switches as long as they're nice mechanical ones (my current keyboard doesn't have mechanical switches, but I want to make the switch). Is there anything that meets my desires, or should I just figure out another way of doing all the stuff I'm used to doing with my current setup?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

The product you are after does not exist. Premium keyboards won't have audio jacks and the full-size/1800 layouts almost never have macro keys. At best you'd have the home cluster to repogram.

The closest thing that could satisfy your needs by itself is probably that monster Exit Strategy is working on.

Exit Strategy posted:

I've been working.

A friend commissioned me - two years ago - to design a custom gaming board for him. He hates his Logitech, mostly because of those stupid loving Omron Romer-G switches. He wanted something better. Something repairable, that uses standardized keycaps and can store macros. Something that doesn't need software on the machine end. AT90USB1286, USB-C, fixed-color per-key backlight, an OLED display for lock and layer status, and toggle switches for things like muting Discord or in-game voice chats.

Behold:

Prototype run has been started up, and I've also ordered a run of these:

Which are a version of my 64-key board, with a similar featureset. Fifteen WS2812Bs on the underside of the PCB provide RGB underlight instead of per-key backlight. This new model is also compatible with MX, Alps, and Choc switches.

Anyone interested in either?

Your best solution is probably going to be getting 2-4 different pieces of hardware.
- 1800/Full-size keyboard if you had to have a built in numpad.
- A separate numpad if you got a keyboard layout that didn't have a numpad
- A macropad for macrokeys
- A external audio dac if you don't want to plug into onboard computer audio

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

curried lamb of God posted:

Just ordered an iKBC CD108BT. I've been working from home and using a spare Magic Keyboard with my work laptop (PC, not Mac), but I was frustrated with the lack of a number pad, especially since my job is fairly quant intensive. It's absolutely overkill, but I plan on building a PC later this year/early next year, so I figured I'd get something that'll last

I really love my iKBC full sized. The fonts are just right, so nice. Excellent quality caps. Great build quality.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I keep buying or wanting 60-70% boards because they are so pretty but I always regret it since I'm using the drat numpad all the time, and external ones are a clumsy solution. I'm just spoiled by 1800 layouts

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Lord Stimperor posted:

I keep buying or wanting 60-70% boards because they are so pretty but I always regret it since I'm using the drat numpad all the time, and external ones are a clumsy solution. I'm just spoiled by 1800 layouts

Get a southpaw 65%? You get the ergo benefits of not having the bumps on the right, while still getting a numpad.

AEboards just released an acrylic case version of their EXT65
https://keyboardtreehouse.com/collections/keyboards/products/ext65-case-and-pcb-bundle?variant=34681186320539

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Lord Stimperor posted:

Keep buying them and just put them on a shelf like everyone else.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
I'm a little surprised there aren't at least a few coordinated sets of 60% kbs and numpads. Or "macropads" you could turn into numpads, feels like something this community would throw money at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
There's stuff like the cospad and other macropads. But yeah, for the most part most keyboard enthusiasts don't really care much at all for the numpad. If they do, they use 96key or have a separate numpad.