Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I’ve been kicking around the idea of making a Discord channel for media collectors. Now might be the perfect time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Liar Lyre posted:

I’ve been kicking around the idea of making a Discord channel for media collectors. Now might be the perfect time.

I’d love to join, I’ll share more shelf pictures

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Hedrigall posted:

I’d love to join, I’ll share more shelf pictures

Here’s a barebones one. I’ll flesh it out in the morning. https://discord.gg/e3w9e2

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Sigh, this thread was one of the best places for info. I'll miss it, and y'all. Thanks.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Egbert Souse posted:

So, I had a chance to peek at the Columbia Classics UHD Vol. I box. Mainly got it for Lawrence of Arabia, but Mr. Smith and Dr. Strangelove also look amazing. It's a bit more subtle since the Blu-rays are excellent, but you really get that 35mm look.

Lawrence of Arabia is an entirely new level. This is actually the fourth copy I've bought for actually viewing (I also own the 1983 pan & scan laserdisc, plus both Criterion editions). The Blu-ray is gorgeous, but the UHD just has so much extra detail and the color snaps in a way that you feel like you're watching in a theater. Almost wish I had an Atmos setup for the sound, but the 5.1 mix is still terrific.

Worth saying that my copy included a printout with instructions to get the proper supplemental disc.

I'm looking forward to watching Gandhi, A League of Our Own, and Jerry Maguire since I hadn't seen them at all yet.

Shout out to you esp, you walking film encyclopedia you.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Alright, I got a bunch of channels for the Discord, including a code sharing one. I hope y’all jump in because I don’t want to resort to the blu-ray.com forums. Too elitist.
https://discord.gg/e3w9e2

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm looking forward to watching Gandhi, A League of Our Own, and Jerry Maguire since I hadn't seen them at all yet.

I found Gandhi and A League of Their Own to be standouts almost as much as Lawrence. Gandhi I kinda expected given that it's a historical epic but I didn't think about how A League of Their Own, being a baseball movie and of course a period piece, would be elevated to another level. The green grass and the uniforms just leap out at you in a way they never did before and I've seen the movie a bunch of times over the years.

Dr. Strangelove is the only one I could really take or leave, mostly because I already owned the Criterion release from a few years back and it's outstanding. The UHD is a decent upgrade in some areas but it didn't feel like a game-changer for me the way the other three did. I haven't watched Jerry Maguire or Mr. Smith yet.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I found Gandhi and A League of Their Own to be standouts almost as much as Lawrence. Gandhi I kinda expected given that it's a historical epic but I didn't think about how A League of Their Own, being a baseball movie and of course a period piece, would be elevated to another level. The green grass and the uniforms just leap out at you in a way they never did before and I've seen the movie a bunch of times over the years.

Dr. Strangelove is the only one I could really take or leave, mostly because I already owned the Criterion release from a few years back and it's outstanding. The UHD is a decent upgrade in some areas but it didn't feel like a game-changer for me the way the other three did. I haven't watched Jerry Maguire or Mr. Smith yet.

I do love how all the Criterion extras were ported over, though.

Dr. Strangelove is the only film out of the six that isn't sourced from the original camera negative. Columbia apparently lost it in shipping at some point and even Kubrick didn't know until the 80s.

Though, it's not a terrible loss since the film absolutely benefits from a rougher appearance since it has more of a documentary look to it. Had Lawrence not been saved in the 80s, that would have been a tragedy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

Alright, I got a bunch of channels for the Discord, including a code sharing one. I hope y’all jump in because I don’t want to resort to the blu-ray.com forums. Too elitist.
https://discord.gg/e3w9e2

I joined. You all should too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is the Columbia box set worth getting if I already own most of the movies in the set on Blu-ray and don’t have a 4K player or TV?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Is the Columbia box set worth getting if I already own most of the movies in the set on Blu-ray and don’t have a 4K player or TV?

I don't think so. The 4k upgrades are really the draw with this one.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Could we get another Discord invite link? The previously posted ones have expired.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Could we get another Discord invite link? The previously posted ones have expired.

It should be PMed or otherwise privately messaged, Kiwifarms and probably other assholes are lurking around. (I'd like an invite as well, if you're so inclined.)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

McSpanky posted:

It should be PMed or otherwise privately messaged, Kiwifarms and probably other assholes are lurking around. (I'd like an invite as well, if you're so inclined.)

Ditto for me as well.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I don’t have PMs, but I still have an invite up in the Criterion thread that should work.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Well, despite saying I wasn't going to do it, I bought five of the Severin titles during their sale: The Beast Must Die, Bahia Blanca, Shining Sex, Demonia and Aenigma. The soundtrack being included with Aenigma was a big selling point for me buying another disc of the movie. Those Franco movies were too irresistable once I watched this trailer for the sale:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVgQeIc2xyA
This video is :nws:, so be forewarned.

Skipped the Fulci documentary because I don't care enough to ever watch it. Anyway, I thought the sale didn't start until Midnight, but I was able to place my order about five minutes ago. Now I'm on a strict spending limit until that Criterian Bruce Lee set comes out.

Edit: wait until midnight, my order wasn't supposed to go through.

ultraviolence123 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 26, 2020

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Is their transfer of Threads good? It was shot on 16mm, and uses some stock footage of varying quality, but every print of the movie I've seen has looked like it was sourced from videotape.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

ultraviolence123 posted:

Well, despite saying I wasn't going to do it, I bought five of the Severin titles during their sale: The Beast Must Die, Bahia Blanca, Shining Sex, Demonia and Aenigma. The soundtrack being included with Aenigma was a big selling point for me buying another disc of the movie. Those Franco movies were too irresistable once I watched this trailer for the sale:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVgQeIc2xyA
This video is :nws:, so be forewarned.

Skipped the Fulci documentary because I don't care enough to ever watch it. Anyway, I thought the sale didn't start until Midnight, but I was able to place my order about five minutes ago. Now I'm on a strict spending limit until that Criterian Bruce Lee set comes out.

Edit: wait until midnight, my order wasn't supposed to go through.

You may have to remake your order once midnight comes around? It says if you make an order before and it goes through, they just cancel it.

Anyway, I have a huge cart on standby and I may just buy everything once it’s midnight.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah, I have to place the order again in a bit when the same is live. No worries.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
How long is the Severin sale going on?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Until 11:59 pm pst 6/29

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Not really.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I forgot to ask was there just a Vinegar Syndrome sale and/or is there one coming up?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CPL593H posted:

I forgot to ask was there just a Vinegar Syndrome sale and/or is there one coming up?

It was Memorial Day weekend. Next one won’t be another til November

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

It was Memorial Day weekend. Next one won’t be another til November

Booo, I wanted Petey Wheatstraw.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

McSpanky posted:

If I can get a PM as well it would be appreciated!

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Did the site crash?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

VoodooXT posted:

Did the site crash?

It's loading for me, but it's insanely slow. Never thought this would get more traffic than the VinSyn sale.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's loading for me, but it's insanely slow. Never thought this would get more traffic than the VinSyn sale.

Site is giving me a 500 internal server error and my cart is blanked out.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Every time they do a big sale like this the website dies. They should take some of the profits and put it towards some server upgrades.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

VoodooXT posted:

Site is giving me a 500 internal server error and my cart is blanked out.

I'm in the shop page now, but I can really only load things through search. The main page just sits there.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Site isn't loading for me and I tried putting 2 Blurays into my cart and it's hanging.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

VoodooXT posted:

Site isn't loading for me and I tried putting 2 Blurays into my cart and it's hanging.

Now I'm getting the server error after placing something in my cart. Looks like it's all hosed up.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I'm thinking of just saying "gently caress it, severin you lost a customer".

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

VoodooXT posted:

I'm thinking of just saying "gently caress it, severin you lost a customer".

Ehhh, I'll just be patient and hope I can get the 6 things I'm after. It's still a boutique label putting out niche stuff and the only alternative is paying full price on Amazon so :shrug:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ehhh, I'll just be patient and hope I can get the 6 things I'm after. It's still a boutique label putting out niche stuff and the only alternative is paying full price on Amazon so :shrug:

VinSyn is a smaller company and even they had their poo poo together.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I have no idea how Severin operates, but they definitely give off a "one guy in his basement" vibes. Wouldn't be surprised to hear that the servers are actually a couple of Dell desktops.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Liar Lyre posted:

I have no idea how Severin operates, but they definitely give off a "one guy in his basement" vibes. Wouldn't be surprised to hear that the servers are actually a couple of Dell desktops.

They have offices in LA and NY. Definitely not a "one guy in his basement" setup.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

VoodooXT posted:

They have offices in LA and NY. Definitely not a "one guy in his basement" setup.

Then that makes this situation look worse for them. It happens every year. You'd think they'd learn by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Liar Lyre posted:

Then that makes this situation look worse for them. It happens every year. You'd think they'd learn by now.

Yeah seriously. Also discovered they have an additional office in London, so yeah, not a good look for them.