Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

What's wild is Vinegar Syndrome's sale went off without a hitch and that place is, like, three dudes in an almost abandoned building in Bridgeport CT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I tried to get around it by attempting a purchase on mobile since sometimes that works for overloaded sites, but even that's hosed. I can get as far as entering checkout details and then it just hangs forever trying to load the order total.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
https://twitter.com/BookishPlinko/status/1276377652182437888?s=19

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Should have spent that nipple pastie money on server upgrades.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
There's only 250 copies of Blood on Satan's Claw, wtf

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah, I was hoping to get one but at this point it's probably a lost cause. Or even buying anything from Severin, at this point.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
goddamnit I just want cheap amicus films :negative:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah gunna be pretty annoyed on missing out on it again lol

E: I even got all the way to checkout screen but the place order button caused the page to hang up. Very cool

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Lol, the admin of the VinSyn FB fan group just posted a super snarky post about Severin.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

It's semi-stable right now. I was able to get the Al Adamson set after and hour and half of trying. I'll pick up Viy and maybe a few others in the morning.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Still totally hosed for me, can’t even load the generic shop page.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If you get to the check out screen, LiarLyre pointed out a good trick, just use the "ship to different address" button to soft reset the page until you can actually check out. I did that until i placed my order.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The PayPal redirect still just hangs forever, so I think I'm just gonna call it quits on this one. It's a shame, I was looking forward to my first Severin sale but they can't be bothered to give even a cursory "we're working on it" update after two hours of their site being totally unusable.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I don't want to give anyone false hope, but I was just able to get a small order through and paid for.

Still, even odds that I ended up giving them money for nothing.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

Is their transfer of Threads good? It was shot on 16mm, and uses some stock footage of varying quality, but every print of the movie I've seen has looked like it was sourced from videotape.

The Threads you want is the UK one: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=13733&d2=11657&s1=138985&s2=114976&i=0&l=0

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ehhh, I'll just be patient and hope I can get the 6 things I'm after. It's still a boutique label putting out niche stuff and the only alternative is paying full price on Amazon so :shrug:

If you're going to pay full price (or near to it) I'd just get poo poo like this from diabolik DVD. Or really any site that sells movies and isn't amazon like deep discount DVD.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Interesting. There are definitely things to like in either version. The UK release has more shadow detail but the Severin release has better, more film-like highlight roll off.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Sigh... I am pretty sure I'm going to just give up. They are just a joke at this point.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

ultraviolence123 posted:

Sigh... I am pretty sure I'm going to just give up. They are just a joke at this point.

I managed to get through with 2 orders but yea, I don't know if it was worth the effort.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Took me three hours to order four blu-rays and that's still only half of what I had intended to buy, jesus christ.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I finally managed to get it in my cart and then the site completely poo poo the bed lmao

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Well, now they are claiming they got hit with DDoS attack. Eh, I don't know, I don't think I can continue to support this sale. It's not worth the time, effort and frustration. I'll just wait for 88 Films to release their versions. I'm also not a fan at all of these ready set go types of sales. Just add them to the website, and let people get them that way. Vinegar Syndrome, Mondo, Severin, they all do this and it's extremely annoying and makes collecting become a chore versus a fun hobby.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I guess I'll just have to hope there's nipple pasties available next time

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Really only When the Wind Blows interests me, so might as well save the energy and money for the B&N Criterion sale

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
When the Wind Blows is one of the titles excluded from the sale anyway

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
looks like the site will be up by 3PM EST today at the earliest

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Egbert Souse posted:

Really only When the Wind Blows interests me, so might as well save the energy and money for the B&N Criterion sale

:same:

I'm hoping that the Zatoichi set will be back in stock by then.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I don't know how licensing agreements and all that work, but I wish these companies would stop with the "ONLY 500 WILL EVER BE MADE" gimmick.

Just open pre-orders for a few hours and say, "after the pre-order window is closed, there will be no more made."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I don't know how licensing agreements and all that work, but I wish these companies would stop with the "ONLY 500 WILL EVER BE MADE" gimmick.

Just open pre-orders for a few hours and say, "after the pre-order window is closed, there will be no more made."

It's usually a right's holder thing. I suspect that most of the time it's part of a deal where say Vinegar Syndrome restores Rad, and is allowed to sell a run of 5000 copies, but the right's holder can use that new 4k master for their own future releases.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

:same:

I'm hoping that the Zatoichi set will be back in stock by then.

I was wondering about that since the majority of the "limbo" titles are ones with custom or digipak packaging.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

That was the one I wanted most. :(

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

At last, Arrow Video gets around to the true classics:

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/mallrats-limited-edition-arrow-us-blu-ray/

quote:

Brand new restoration by Arrow Films of both the Theatrical and Extended cuts of the film, approved by director Kevin Smith and cinematographer David Klein.

Newly assembled TV cut of the film featuring hilarious overdubbing to cover up profanity

High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentations

Collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Philip Kemp

Fold out poster featuring replica blueprints for ‘Operation Drive-by’ and ‘Operation Dark Knight’

DISC ONE – THEATRICAL AND EXTENDED CUTS

Original DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround audio

Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

Audio commentary with director Kevin Smith, producer Scott Mosier, archivist Vincent Pereira, and actors Jason Lee, Ben Affleck, and Jason Mewes

Brand new introduction to the film by Kevin Smith

My Mallrat Memories – and all-new interview with Kevin Smith

A newly filmed tribute to producer Jim Jacks by Kevin Smith

Brand new interview with actor Jason Mewes

Brand new interview with Cinematographer David Klein

Hollywood of the North: A newly produced animated making-of documentary featuring Minnesota crew members who worked on the film

Deleted Scenes – Kevin Smith and Vincent Pereira discuss deleted scenes and sequences originally cut from the film

Outtakes and behind the scenes footage

Cast interviews from the original set

Erection of an Epic: The making of Mallrats – archival retrospective with cat and crew looking at the making and release of the film.

Q&A with Kevin Smith – archival Q&A filmed for the 10th anniversary

Build Me Up Buttercup music video

Stills galleries

Theatrical Trailer

DISC TWO – TV CUT

Newly assembled TV cut of the film featuring hilarious overdubbing to cover up profanity

Original stereo audio

Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

Brand new introduction to the TV cut by director Kevin Smith

Stills gallery of the comic books featured in the film’s opening sequence

Easter eggs ”

I would have cared about the tv cut maybe 10 years ago, but I’m so old and the world’s moved on.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress it I'm excited. Bad cover though

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Mallrats is a movie I've never seen on TV, and when I was a broke 20 something and I watched all the special features of my DVD over 3 weeks. Now I have too much time watching other things, so I may get to it like a year from now.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I wonder how it holds up, I remember liking it back in high school but a lot of comedy from that era did not age well at all

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

gey muckle mowser posted:

I wonder how it holds up, I remember liking it back in high school but a lot of comedy from that era did not age well at all

Watched it a year or two ago and still enjoyed, obviously not the same as when you're a teen and Smiths films just felt like a revolution. Holds up better than Chasing Amy does at least, despite JLA absolutely loving killing it in that movie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And they're wrong about the tv edit only airing once. I swear it was advertised relentlessly on USA or MTV or somewhere one weekend in the late 90s as "the infamous tv edit" and run multiple times over a weekend. I definitely watched it multiple times on tv in that horrible edit during high school.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It used to air on FX in the early 2000s. I still have a VHS of it somewhere.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

And they're wrong about the tv edit only airing once. I swear it was advertised relentlessly on USA or MTV or somewhere one weekend in the late 90s as "the infamous tv edit" and run multiple times over a weekend. I definitely watched it multiple times on tv in that horrible edit during high school.

I feel like this was on the Collectors' DVD from 15 years ago, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That DDOS explanation is so bizarre. Just admit you hosed up and underestimated your sale traffic instead of positing that mysterious malevolent forces turned their attention to your little niche website. No one gives a poo poo as long as they can still buy their trash movies later.