Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
That particular check is impossible to pass until NG+. You can't have enough Courage increases before that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AlternateNu posted:

Yes and no. She got better. But the big reason she was used was because she was the best physical attacker in vanilla because she was the only one who learned Charge/God Hand. Once you got the option to give Kanji Charge in P4G, she became less of a necessity.

Chie is still better for dungeon crawling, since Kanji’s only AoE is Atom Smasher and that’s if you drag him on a bike date (and he doesn’t really have much to take him on bike dates to work towards).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ApplesandOranges posted:

Chie is still better for dungeon crawling, since Kanji’s only AoE is Atom Smasher and that’s if you drag him on a bike date (and he doesn’t really have much to take him on bike dates to work towards).

Man, is there ever a particular burning need to bring Kanji along?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Man, is there ever a particular burning need to bring Kanji along?

he's kanji

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
How else are you going to hit someone with a folding chair?

Plus he learns Matarukaja.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 24, 2020

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I will never take Kanji out of my party no matter how many times I replay.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Kanjis follow up skill being able to knock out multiples is nice, but, tbh, the game is not really hard enough to worry about optimal party starts

The one guy I dislike using is yosuke, not sure why, just dislike having him around

Being able to score megido early basically means you wipe out all the gold hand guys in one turn and can seriously level the hell up

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm significantly warming up to the P4G dub. I'm still not a big fan of Chie's voice but everybody else is pretty good. I feel like JYB in particular is doing a really good job getting across Adachi as a bumbling but earnest junior detective. From what little I've had spoiled for me I know he's the villain, but I don't know anything beyond that so I'm curious to see how that plays out.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Does Makoto's third persona put her back on a bike?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arbite posted:

Does Makoto's third persona put her back on a bike?

She gets a car

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

P5R, depths of Mementos, managed to get all confidants except Haru and Ohya maxed, and I was pretty salty about Haru since I had a shitload of free afternoons available in the last few weeks and she was only available like once or twice a week.

Ohya.... who cares.

When I get to the third semester, will I still have hangout time that I can use to max Haru or am I stuck with her where she's at now?

edit:
While I'm at it
the changes to Okumura's palace were good, but the whole fuckin thing still sucks, and I don't know if just cutting 20% right out without changing it was the right call.
Fun fact: My first playthrough, I fell asleep while running around looking for managerBot #3, in my Royal playthrough, I just full-on fell asleep during the boss fight

the changes to Shido's palace were very good and I enjoyed less mousing around god drat I hated Shido's palace my first playthrough, especially loved the change to the boss fight

The changes to the other 5 palaces are pretty minimal, as far as I can tell? I literally can't tell what's changed about Sae's or Futaba's at all, apart from the will seeds

Sockser fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 24, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sockser posted:

When I get to the third semester, will I still have hangout time that I can use to max Haru or am I stuck with her where she's at now?

You get hangout time.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Man I REALLY do not like Chie's new voice!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I barely noticed any change to the Shido fight other than the very end? I think your team gets so powerful at that point you can kinda just walk over him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Man I REALLY do not like Chie's new voice!

:same: On the plus side I just got Kanji and goddamn Kanji rules.

I do like retroactive parallel between Dojima and Sojiro. The former is a lot more welcoming and chill with the protagonist from the get go, but is neglecting his daughter for work almost to the point of abuse. The latter treats Joker like a piece of poo poo for almost half the game before he finally warms up, but is also willing to drop everything at a moment's notice for Futaba.

This is a good game and I'm glad it got rereleased on PC because otherwise I never would have played it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It took a bit to grow into Chie's voice but by the end I preferred it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sydin posted:

:same: On the plus side I just got Kanji and goddamn Kanji rules.

I do like retroactive parallel between Dojima and Sojiro. The former is a lot more welcoming and chill with the protagonist from the get go, but is neglecting his daughter for work almost to the point of abuse. The latter treats Joker like a piece of poo poo for almost half the game before he finally warms up, but is also willing to drop everything at a moment's notice for Futaba.

This is a good game and I'm glad it got rereleased on PC because otherwise I never would have played it.

Honestly a lot of characters make for interesting parallels in this way. Akechi and Naoto or Adachi is an amusing one to consider for example.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Honestly a lot of characters make for interesting parallels in this way. Akechi and Naoto or Adachi is an amusing one to consider for example.

I mean, Akechi IS Naoto + Adachi. He's literally those two character types smashed together, except they gave him a father complex instead of a women complex.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

AlternateNu posted:

I mean, Akechi IS Naoto + Adachi. He's literally those two character types smashed together, except they gave him a father complex instead of a women complex.

He’s a little bit of Sho, too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing that has stood out to me from playing P4G after my P5R play-through is that I'm pretty sure that you don't have a single classmate social link other than Mishima in P5R (who is connected to the Phantom Thieves). In P4G (and P3 for that matter) you have a lot of social links that are actually classmates (Saki's brother, sports guys, theater/band girls, rich girl on the roof, and I might be forgetting something). I think they swapped out all the classmates for older women love interests in P5.

Also, I honestly think the P4G social links are better overall than P5's.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think it's because the Confidants in P5 are supposed to be people who are helping the Phantom Thieves. Other than Mishima and Joker's teammates, none of the students can really help them with that. Well there's Hifumi, but she doesn't go to Shujin.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Plus, Joker's an outcast in his school. No one there really likes him apart from his Phantom Thief friends, and most of those are because of Phantom Thief stuff. If the Metaverse hadn't happened and he just lived out his year there, I wouldn't be surprised if his social circle consisted entirely of Ryuji.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah having Joker buddy up with a bunch of classmates who aren't in the PT's undermines the whole "you're a group of social outcasts all 'normal' students avoid" theme. I don't mind that the confidants got moved to being misfit adults who empathize and provide some assistance to Joker. That you can bang a bunch of them is an unfortunate side effect but hey.

I am enjoying the social links in P4G so far though. Weirdly while the game over all leans harder into stock anime tropes than P5 does, the social links themselves feel way more down to earth and real so far. Temperance in particularly is really drawing me in while simultaneously bumming me out because it feels too real.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well he shares a class with Ann so they probably might have still been friends. And maybe Mishima for the lack of anyone better. And he'd probably still be friendly enough to Kasumi if they run into each other enough. That's probably it.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I havent done P4G in years but maybe I remember an unfortunate side effect of having so many classmate social links is that summer vacation sucked rear end?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Man Yosuke kinda sucks. I miss Ryuji.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yosuke is probably the worst of the first party members, character wise. He's always held his weight in battle, but as a character there's not much there. I'll take Junpei's hero complex before him.

Ryuji's still the best though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
At least with Ryuji there was a narrative thread that justified his lovely behavior. He clung to the PT's as something that gave him personal value and relevance, which he gets wrapped up in and takes too far. Yosuke is just a sleazy bully who constantly puts down his friends despite otherwise being nouveau-riche with a stable home life.

Maybe he gets better: I just got to the part where the group warns Rise about her potentially being kidnapped, so maybe I just haven't hit the "post-Okumra Ryuji" point where Yosuke realizes he's being an rear end in a top hat and betters himself. But so far he's been pretty terrible.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sydin posted:

Maybe he gets better: I just got to the part where the group warns Rise about her potentially being kidnapped, so maybe I just haven't hit the "post-Okumra Ryuji" point where Yosuke realizes he's being an rear end in a top hat and betters himself. But so far he's been pretty terrible.

Hmmmmmm he kind of doesn't. I like that Yosuke sucks, but he also has a poo poo gig as being the slightly older teenage babysitter to a bunch of children through most of the game. He has to play straight-man (sometimes literally) to Kanji's stupidity, Chie's stupidity and steak obsession, Yukiko doing whatever the gently caress she does, Teddie doing horrible awful Teddie things, and Rise's theatrics. Soon after the part where you're at there's going to be a lot of plot going on, and Yosuke basically has to parse all of it himself because everyone else in the group is unable to contribute anything to the actual investigation part of the group dynamic because they are all too dumb. As such, Yosuke gets burdened with a lot of the necessary but boring dialogue needed to move the plot forward while other characters can just have fun and be entertaining. Like, Kanji is great, but when the time comes to actually solve the murder, he basically doesn't participate at all. This is made less metaphorical when during the really big serious discussion about who the killer might be, none of the party members are even there except for Yosuke and one other person. The only times he shows up to clown around are basically at someone else's expense which is bad, but I think a big factor in people not liking him is how he's gotta be such a downer all the time because he's the only thing grounding the group from going completely off the rails into anime slapstick.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
New Chie sounds like someone doing a character sadly, I'm never able to buy in. But I hate Japanese Teddy way more than New Chie.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think a big factor in people not liking him is how he's gotta be such a downer all the time because he's the only thing grounding the group from going completely off the rails into anime slapstick.

I never thought about it like that, but seeing it spelled out makes me realize that this is exactly why I like Yosuke, especially compared to everyone else in P4; he feels like the only character in the game that isn't burdened down by constantly being part of the anime slapstick. He might be a downer but the fact that he's basically the only one like that in the party really makes him feel more personable and complete as a person.

I'd still rather have Ryuji or Junpei though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ryuji is such a good bro character. Max Mittleman also does a phenomenal job with him. All the P5 VAs are pretty good at their job but I think his work as Ryuji is king.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Who is “New Chie?” Are people still talking about the voice switch that happened 8 years ago?

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Who is “New Chie?” Are people still talking about the voice switch that happened 8 years ago?

I guess a bunch of people never played Golden or the side games? Not really that strange honestly.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Complete_Cynic posted:

I guess a bunch of people never played Golden or the side games? Not really that strange honestly.

This, I never spent more than a few minuted with Golden until now so I never really formed an opinion but man it sounds like one of those youtuber anime roleplays

I'm kind of interested what the voice direction was like because the voice sounds so forced that I'm almost tempted to say she was told to do it like that, like how in P5 they made everyone say Ann's name wrong

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

There was discussion of soundtracks with respect to P4G vs P5

And like, P4 might be better?
But I just loving despise this track so loving much and it plays all the god damned time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH13DTNRs1E

If the word hate were etched onto every nanoangstrom etc etc etc

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
P4G has a phenomenal soundtrack, but no way does it top P5's, especially when you add in the P5R tracks.

There's a lot of things P4 does better but music isn't one of them.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

arisu posted:

P4G has a phenomenal soundtrack, but no way does it top P5's, especially when you add in the P5R tracks.

There's a lot of things P4 does better but music isn't one of them.

reach out to the truth edged out mass destruction barely

every other battle theme in the series is, while good, inferior to those

p2is has the best boss theme though master of tartarus is such a blood-pumper i have to give it points, also it was the soundtrack to Natural Dancer, the worst fight in vanilla

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Last Surprise > Mass Destruction > Reach Out To The Truth
Burn My Dread > Rivers in the Desert (very close though!) > P4's equivalent whose name I can't recall.

I need to play the pre-3 Persona games someday to get a better grasp of them. My understanding is Persona 1 does not hold up well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

TTBF posted:

Last Surprise > Mass Destruction > Reach Out To The Truth
Burn My Dread > Rivers in the Desert (very close though!) > P4's equivalent whose name I can't recall.

I need to play the pre-3 Persona games someday to get a better grasp of them. My understanding is Persona 1 does not hold up well.

revelations persona had some jams but the psp remake of p1 is a flop head to tail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDNc0XKkg8U