Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
ive never seen a pro player miss so many black holes in a single game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I like slacks persona and he seems like a genuinely good dude a+

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Fat_Cow posted:

I wonder if that Singsing story is true.

TheRat posted:

what story

It's not as clearcut black and white as it was with Tobi and Grant, but it does raise a conversation on the topic of consent when both sides are poo poo at communication

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Without having any other information besides those 2 screenshots, Singsing seems like a womanizing rear end in a top hat, but not an actual rapist/sexual predator. Not exactly glowing praise here but IMO there is a difference between being a trashy PUA and what Tobi/Grant/Demon did.

e: just noticed the new SA announcements, hopefully lowtax can just gently caress off forever without the forums dying. This is only place where I can shitpost about dota (twitter sucks and reddit is, well, reddit)

IncendiaC fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 26, 2020

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ha, I was just about to go create a dotes BNR thread. I'll probably hold off while this situation develops

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/siractionslacks/status/1276292742386036736?s=21

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/wykrhm/status/1276328312122425345?s=19

Good changes

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

*reddit chud voice* but the lost value from the battle pass...

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Since these forums are being saved, I wanted to share with this thread my personal experience being stage crew (setting poo poo up) and a game referee three times for The International 2013-2015. I was the only non-Valve person in the booths during the main event. I only got that opportunity through people I met on these very forums, so I am forever grateful!

I attended the second TI (first in the US) with a VIP ticket my friend who worked at Valve gave me. While it was a ton of fun watching a giant tournament like that, I felt guilty about getting to go to such a limited capacity event for free and not really do anything to contribute. So when TI rolled around next year I asked if there was any way I could help out during group stages with wrangling teams, or refereeing, or something. I was also a college student studying how to program computer games, so of course I want to work alongside Valve devs! They needed the help so they let me volunteer, and I did a well enough job during group stages they let me continue on to the main event. They invited me back the next year, and the year after that I figured I would ask to be hired as a contractor for the duration (3 weeks) so they could pay me and they did, so that was great! Staff had 3 meals a day catered, and I got a free massage everyday, so only volunteering for the first two years did not feel like exploitation.

I can answer whatever questions y'all have about behind the scenes stuff for a big show like TI. I worked during the entire event; from setup in a hotel for the group stages to tearing down and packing up the main event at Benaroya Hall in 2013 and then Key Arena in 2014 and 2015. Stage crew was responsible for setting up all the rooms during group stages and also swapped equipment for each team between each round. Referees had to sit behind the team and watch all 5 of them to check to make sure they weren't using the internet, enabling steam chat, or doing anything outside of the game.

I have lots of photos and some videos to share, here's some to start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13foAjwR5jM&t=15412s
I am in the booth with NewBee when they won the grand finals in 2014. I look like I'm freaking out in this video because I was! The gg was called very suddenly, and my one main task was to stand in front of the door and make sure NewBee didn't run out in to the pyrotechnics going off right outside the door.

I made it to the front page of ESPN.com with Arteezy. I am a more accomplished athlete than most real athletes!

Testing the booths for TI 2015

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
that's pretty cool, always wanted an in on an event like that, how did you manage to network your way in and how come you didnt continue after 2015?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/pyrionflax/status/1276285327674572802?s=21

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Kill All Cops posted:

that's pretty cool, always wanted an in on an event like that, how did you manage to network your way in and how come you didnt continue after 2015?

My friend (who I met from these very forums!!) worked at Valve, and on Dota 2, and I asked him if I could volunteer to help during group stages in 2013. I did well enough that they kept me on for the main event, and then invited me back year after year. I didn't go after 2015 because I graduated college and moved to LA. Saying no made me so sad since the events were so fun to work at because all the other people were great! Valve stopped completely staffing the events with themselves after 2016.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Since these forums are being saved, I wanted to share with this thread my personal experience being stage crew (setting poo poo up) and a game referee three times for The International 2013-2015. I was the only non-Valve person in the booths during the main event. I only got that opportunity through people I met on these very forums, so I am forever grateful!

I attended the second TI (first in the US) with a VIP ticket my friend who worked at Valve gave me. While it was a ton of fun watching a giant tournament like that, I felt guilty about getting to go to such a limited capacity event for free and not really do anything to contribute. So when TI rolled around next year I asked if there was any way I could help out during group stages with wrangling teams, or refereeing, or something. I was also a college student studying how to program computer games, so of course I want to work alongside Valve devs! They needed the help so they let me volunteer, and I did a well enough job during group stages they let me continue on to the main event. They invited me back the next year, and the year after that I figured I would ask to be hired as a contractor for the duration (3 weeks) so they could pay me and they did, so that was great! Staff had 3 meals a day catered, and I got a free massage everyday, so only volunteering for the first two years did not feel like exploitation.

I can answer whatever questions y'all have about behind the scenes stuff for a big show like TI. I worked during the entire event; from setup in a hotel for the group stages to tearing down and packing up the main event at Benaroya Hall in 2013 and then Key Arena in 2014 and 2015. Stage crew was responsible for setting up all the rooms during group stages and also swapped equipment for each team between each round. Referees had to sit behind the team and watch all 5 of them to check to make sure they weren't using the internet, enabling steam chat, or doing anything outside of the game.

I am in the booth with NewBee when they won the grand finals in 2014. I look like I'm freaking out in this video because I was! The gg was called very suddenly, and my one main task was to stand in front of the door and make sure NewBee didn't run out in to the pyrotechnics going off right outside the door.

I made it to the front page of ESPN.com with Arteezy. I am a more accomplished athlete than most real athletes!

im upset we didnt get to meet! TI4 crew was a lot of fun and I still keep in touch with most of the goons I met to this day

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
midas club brought hfn back because they cant win without him lmao

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Midas is using the amazing farming strat of initiating on camps with Untouchable Ench while Furion hits them.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

im upset we didnt get to meet! TI4 crew was a lot of fun and I still keep in touch with most of the goons I met to this day

Every day of the main event was at least 14 hours of work, I hardly had anytime to check things out, and I definitely fell asleep backstage a couple times!

I do remember meeting Minrad during TI5 I think. If you posted the signs goons had I bet I would recognize them :P

Some pics from TI4:

Testing out caster machines during setup

Big Bruno

Testing player booths

Pano from morning of finals I think

Pre-Grand finals, we let the media take pics of the Aegis I guess

It's over! Don't catch on fire

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

A cool post

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Every day of the main event was at least 14 hours of work, I hardly had anytime to check things out, and I definitely fell asleep backstage a couple times!

I do remember meeting Minrad during TI5 I think. If you posted the signs goons had I bet I would recognize them :P

Some pics from TI4:

Testing out caster machines during setup

Big Bruno

Testing player booths

Pano from morning of finals I think

Pre-Grand finals, we let the media take pics of the Aegis I guess

It's over! Don't catch on fire

You may remember the stoats sign!

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

You may remember the stoats sign!

haha yes I do! I definitely would've seen it and recognized it while in the booth.

I checked my photos just to see if it was in there and...

enhance

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

I'm sure the banter in the booths is usually pretty tame, but do you have any interesting stories of stuff you heard the players say?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

it's the me sign!
it's the me sign!!!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

tote up a bags posted:

it's the me sign!
it's the me sign!!!

the sign doesnt say tote up a bags

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Kild posted:

the sign doesnt say tote up a bags

Don't listen to him, he's a RACOON goon!

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Any other pics of the Don't Play With TCJimbo sign?

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

PFlax is a god - the only person to admit that they knew something and are ashamed they didn't do more. This is how the scene really gets to move forward, by taking a long honest look at everything not just ousting the abusers.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

which discord y'all at btw, is that a thing?

This one was linked upthread.

https://discord.gg/Y9V8Uw

I think it's for anime but there's a dota channel.

Kortel posted:

I'd lurk there. I'm still kind of on the fence with BnR. They seem probation happy, some stuff is just disagreements with the mods.

At least three mod/admins there have admitted to being sex pests, so...

IncendiaC posted:

Without having any other information besides those 2 screenshots, Singsing seems like a womanizing rear end in a top hat, but not an actual rapist/sexual predator. Not exactly glowing praise here but IMO there is a difference between being a trashy PUA and what Tobi/Grant/Demon did.

e: just noticed the new SA announcements, hopefully lowtax can just gently caress off forever without the forums dying. This is only place where I can shitpost about dota (twitter sucks and reddit is, well, reddit)

What happened with demon? I've only heard the Grant/Tobi things.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 26, 2020

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Acerbatus posted:

https://discord.gg/Y9V8Uw

I think it's for anime but there's a dota channel.

Oh you sweet summer child.

Reg date yesterday? Spais?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ILL Machina posted:

Oh you sweet summer child.

Reg date yesterday? Spais?

I mean there's only 1 person banned recently that posts in this thread

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Acerbatus posted:

What happened with demon? I've only heard the Grant/Tobi things.

https://twitter.com/Eleine_Sun/status/1275606868384190465

https://twitter.com/Hot_Bid/status/1275978392689610753

https://twitter.com/kakigoritea/status/1276004587519053825

last link is here https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr9on3

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
E: too quick, thanks for the new link

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kild posted:

I mean there's only 1 person banned recently that posts in this thread

:iiam:

Huh.

At least this is getting out now.

I'm glad Pflax was both supportive of victims and reflecting on how he could do better. That's about as much as I could ask for.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Pflax is a good egg

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Dota Casting is going to end up being just PFlax and ODPixel so valve is going to have to unban James 2GD and Xyclopz and those will be your casting teams for every major.

Grinspork
Jun 20, 2004

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED
that's better than lumi trying to poorly explain why he thinks having mega creeps coming at you means better farming and more gold (instead of you know, being stuck inside your base trying to defend against every wave)

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

lmao about time.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

god that's dumb as hell. yeah, really gonna get an actual farm advantage when you can't have your entire team leave the base lest the creeps just win the game for the other team.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

god that's dumb as hell. yeah, really gonna get an actual farm advantage when you can't have your entire team leave the base lest the creeps just win the game for the other team.

It's a real thing that other casters have talked about although it rarely matters in practice. Getting mega creeps early *and* not being able to close the game can starve the winning team because all the waves get cleared by the megas.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arzachel posted:

It's a real thing that other casters have talked about, getting mega creeps early *and* not being able to close the game can starve the winning team because all the waves get cleared by the megas.

It's an incredibly niche situation where you are sufficiently far ahead that you have megas, but are unable to seal the deal and unable to leverage having the whole map of neutrals to farm up the items you need to close out the game before this bleed has any real effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like if a team is able to get megas and all of them are pushing into the enemy base and they're STILL unable to close it out despite every lane being rammed in then they probably deserve to lose, because something has probably gone critically wrong on their end