Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Argue posted:

This is eventually addressed. If you really wanna know former numbers who leave NYC may get recruited by the machine to be their own branch.

I actually teared up when they revealed that, showing what a difference they made in people's lives, inspiring them to become heroes themselves. I liked Jimmi Simpson's tech genius billionaire character, so it was cool to see him show up again, on the new team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I actually teared up when they revealed that, showing what a difference they made in people's lives, inspiring them to become heroes themselves. I liked Jimmi Simpson's tech genius billionaire character, so it was cool to see him show up again, on the new team.

Just watched the ending again, and there’s a line that I thought about when the site looked like it was making GBS threads the bed.

The Machine: I know I’ve made some mistakes. Many mistakes. But we helped some people, didn’t we?

Harry: Yes. Yes we did.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Season 3 of search party came around. What a weird show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

PoI is seriously such a good Sci Fi show. I love the crime of the week episodes as much as I love the overarching story. I think that and Fringe are the only long running shows that actually pulled that off.

Fusco is one of my favorite TV characters.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Fusco is one of my favorite TV characters.

One of the best forum/show interactions I've ever seen was when people were live posting season 3 episode 9.

oh no who's going to save Fusco?

HE SAVED HIMSELF BECAUSE HE IS A loving BADASS!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

One of the best forum/show interactions I've ever seen was when people were live posting season 3 episode 9.

Him fighting Simmons and immediately going for Simmons’ bullet wound to make up for having one working hand was one of the best fight bits in any modern TV.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Just to avoid too much spolier chat but for anyone curious Person of Interest is one of those shows where you think they can't do better then they are doing and constantly do.

Even for a case of the week serial everything merges together into a coherent story-line and has some of the best characters and character development in scripted TV.

It's also the best example of exploring technology, AI, and the dangers and limits thereof set in a modern world.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

pentyne posted:

Lol I can't believe someone else remembers my finest hour

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

I think that and Fringe are the only long running shows that actually pulled that off.

I know that TV IV posters love to poo poo on Babylon 5 but Babylon 5 surely?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ookiimarukochan posted:

I know that TV IV posters love to poo poo on Babylon 5 but Babylon 5 surely?

I actually haven’t seen it. Sounds like it’s worth checking out!

pentyne posted:

Just to avoid too much spolier chat but for anyone curious Person of Interest is one of those shows where you think they can't do better then they are doing and constantly do.

Even for a case of the week serial everything merges together into a coherent story-line and has some of the best characters and character development in scripted TV.

It's also the best example of exploring technology, AI, and the dangers and limits thereof set in a modern world.

The first ten episodes or so are good but not really representative of what the show becomes. The way the villains escalate but are still tied together is amazing. Also episode 7 is one of the best episodes of the entire series.

E:Honestly can’t decide if PoI or Leftovers is my favorite show of 2011-2020 (Terriers obviously wins if 2010 is included)

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 26, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really enjoying Search Party s3. A lot funnier than 2 imo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I actually haven’t seen it. Sounds like it’s worth checking out!

Babylon 5 is well worth a watch. Season 1's more episode-of-the-week, and even a little 90's-Trek-Lite in places, but it's all groundwork for what comes afterwards.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I love how each season is a different kind of thriller.

Edit: Search Party, I mean.

Is Dory a psychopath? I'm getting really strong psychopath vibes off her this season.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 26, 2020

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Escobarbarian posted:

Really enjoying Search Party s3. A lot funnier than 2 imo

Dory is scary. Probs for the actress. The season was really good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Dory is totally a fuckin psycho this season, I love it

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm really worried about ___Portia.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dory’s lawyer best new TV character 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Current thought is we're gonna test the waters with a PoI rewatch of Season 1 starting in July. I'll warn that Season 1 is rougher than the other seasons and potentially provide a viewing guide to people who want to skip episodes (which I feel runs counter to my own intentions for picking the show, but whatever, it gets people watching).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Don't skip episodes you fucks!!!!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Person of Interest is probably the best blend of procedural and serial out there.

Each week is a literal by-the-numbers mystery. The greater plot emerges much in the way that consciousness is believed to emerge from its constituent parts.

It’s almost the exact inverse of Lost. Where Lost just threw poo poo at the wall and hoped it would stick, PoI took the singular idea of an AI and worked it from every possible angle. And it did it in the typical ABC format that my parents would watch week-to-week.

It’s got it’s problems and the last season was way too truncated but it was a great loving show.

Also gently caress anyone who doesn’t like Babylon 5.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Regy Rusty posted:

Don't skip episodes you fucks!!!!

This. Even the weaker episodes are really, really good.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Never skip episodes on a first watch.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This wedding episode is brutal.

Oh this is hosed up.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 26, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So as I only watched the first few episodes of Atlanta before, I did the right thing and watched from the start. I did up to the Justin Bieber episode now, but I think I now know why I didn't week to week it before... the characters are all a bit realistically frustrating. It's got funny and good writing, but I want to strangle them all. Donald Glover probably the least, Paper Boi probably the most. But all of them to a degree.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don’t worry, by the time you’re caught up you’ll definitely want to strangle Glover the most

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I should probably finish Atlanta at some point. I don’t think I ever watched past season 1.

Speaking of FXX shows, was anyone else underwhelmed by the What We Do in The Shadows finale? The season felt like it was building up toward something more than just Guillermo killing a bunch of vampires again.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Finding out the 3rd season of Search Party dropped is a pleasant surprise.

Anyway I've been binging through Supernatural with my roommate and we're on season eight. I watched the first 6 seasons years ago knowing that they originally planned for five seasons. I'm pretty sure if the writers knew how long the show was going to go on they wouldn't have had Lucifer murder a bunch of major "pagan" gods to establish how powerful he was in season five. Turns out Judeo-Christian lore doesn't have a lot of places to mine for bad guys.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I should probably finish Atlanta at some point. I don’t think I ever watched past season 1.

Speaking of FXX shows, was anyone else underwhelmed by the What We Do in The Shadows finale? The season felt like it was building up toward something more than just Guillermo killing a bunch of vampires again.

It was a real nothing of an ending, yeah. Felt like the penultimate episode, rather than a finale. Especially because they clearly dont have the budget to pull off any level of carnage that would be satisfying.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean, it's less Guillermo killing a bunch of vampires and more Guillermo revealing to the house that he's a vampire hunter.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PriorMarcus posted:

It was a real nothing of an ending, yeah. Felt like the penultimate episode, rather than a finale. Especially because they clearly dont have the budget to pull off any level of carnage that would be satisfying.

It wasn’t even as satisfying as the montage that opened the season! And then it just ends! You don’t even get any real confrontation or realization from the main vampires over the fact that their familiar just murdered a whole room of vampires.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Gaunab posted:

Finding out the 3rd season of Search Party dropped is a pleasant surprise.

Anyway I've been binging through Supernatural with my roommate and we're on season eight. I watched the first 6 seasons years ago knowing that they originally planned for five seasons. I'm pretty sure if the writers knew how long the show was going to go on they wouldn't have had Lucifer murder a bunch of major "pagan" gods to establish how powerful he was in season five. Turns out Judeo-Christian lore doesn't have a lot of places to mine for bad guys.

Have you been enjoying it? I thought the season ending episode with the impala was great and should have ended the series.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I will say, I think Supernatural is bringing it home strong. It took them a bit to gain steam after planned season 5 ending, but they've done a great job of reconning everything into place. There's a bit of symmetry around the fact that the original ending was thwarting the apocalypse that was only happening because Lucifer and Micheal missed daddy and wanted him to come back and the final ending is going to deal with the fact that God coming back isn't a good thing because he's just as likely to kick over the sandcastle as play with it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Binge watching modern family and man are they really going to do Haley dirty by forcing her to grow up due to an unwanted pregnancy?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Calaveron posted:

Binge watching modern family and man are they really going to do Haley dirty by forcing her to grow up due to an unwanted pregnancy?

:lol: why would you watch Modern Family in TYOOL 2020?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
On to season 2 of 30 Rock and wow this show is good, I love the huge variety of types of humor, from completely stupid slap-stick to really smart stuff to 4th wall breaking, sometimes all in the same episode or even the same scene. 💯

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: why would you watch Modern Family in TYOOL 2020?

Ty Burrell is a delight

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Calaveron posted:

Ty Burrell is a delight

It's my dream that I'll find a torrent where it's all of Modern Family edited down to only the Phil Dunphy scenes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I mean, it's less Guillermo killing a bunch of vampires and more Guillermo revealing to the house that he's a vampire hunter.

To me the most exciting part is that it implies a huge status quo change for next season.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Slamhound posted:

It’s got it’s problems and the last season was way too truncated but it was a great loving show.

Also gently caress anyone who doesn’t like Babylon 5.

Counterpoint: the dialogue in poi is rarely more than workmanlike, the direction has flashes of brilliance but suffers from its budget. Fortunately the actors can sell almost everything the writers throw at them because they absolutely nailed the casting...

...which Straczynski almost completely failed to do in Babylon 5. That cast is just completely overmatched by his terrible dialogue, which is problematic given he insisted on writing almost the entirety of the show. The story arcs are great in a high level wiki summary but watching them without nostalgia is loving rough.

And it would have been even worse if Michael O'Hare had remained the series lead as he was supposed to instead of having to leave for health reasons. He's just terrible. Bruce Boxleitner might not be a very good actor but he has enough charisma to be the center of the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

whowhatwhere posted:

Counterpoint: the dialogue in poi is rarely more than workmanlike, the direction has flashes of brilliance but suffers from its budget. Fortunately the actors can sell almost everything the writers throw at them because they absolutely nailed the casting...

...which Straczynski almost completely failed to do in Babylon 5. That cast is just completely overmatched by his terrible dialogue, which is problematic given he insisted on writing almost the entirety of the show. The story arcs are great in a high level wiki summary but watching them without nostalgia is loving rough.

And it would have been even worse if Michael O'Hare had remained the series lead as he was supposed to instead of having to leave for health reasons. He's just terrible. Bruce Boxleitner might not be a very good actor but he has enough charisma to be the center of the cast.

:snoo:

This is the worst opinion I have ever read in my entire life.