Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

brugroffil posted:

west Texas is a huge loving area, though

yeah dumb typo, oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

dex_sda posted:

how do you not have a hospital for what must be dozens or even hundreds of miles :psyduck:
:capitalism:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

FAUXTON posted:

'rone sars state realizing they're a dozen steps off the cliff

Honestly very surprised we're already seeing states putting restrictions back in place. I didn't think we'd see any states actually do that.
https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1276515725159665664

Gives me hope that Illinois will move back to Phase 3 in a few weeks after it becomes too obvious to deny that we rushed to Phase 4 despite not meeting the requirements we set out at the start.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Are counts still excluding prison populations (in some places)?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

dex_sda posted:

how do you not have a hospital for what must be dozens or even hundreds of miles :psyduck:

west texas has counties the size of rhode island with a population of 30

e: hm apparently im wrong and loving county has grown from 60 people to over 100 now, but still yeah

Sheng-Ji Yang has issued a correction as of 15:09 on Jun 26, 2020

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah dumb typo, oops

oh I figured you meant west instead of east, but all of that space west of San Antonio to El Paso is larger than most states east of the Mississippi and is empty as gently caress.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

brugroffil posted:

Honestly very surprised we're already seeing states putting restrictions back in place. I didn't think we'd see any states actually do that.

There's no other choice. The real option here isn't between opening the economy up and locking down, it's between having a restricted but semi-functional economy and non-existent one. If the news is full of reports that hospitals are overflowing and people are dying, then people won't just stop going to bars and restaurants. They'll stop going shopping or leaving the house at all.

The true gently caress-up here is the total loss of confidence this is going to cause. You really need people to trust state officials when they give the all-clear if you ever want things to go back to normal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Flesh Forge posted:

NB: most of rural Texas doesn't have any ICU capacity in the first place, some of it has no hospitals period

One thing to note, the vast majority of the grey counties are places where no one lives. Oldham County in the Texas panhandle, for example, has 2k people and a population density of 1.4 persons per square mile. There simply aren't enough people there to justify a full on hospital.

e:f;b:

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

west texas has counties the size of rhode island with a population of 30

yup

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Paradoxish posted:

There's no other choice. The real option here isn't between opening the economy up and locking down, it's between having a restricted but semi-functional economy and non-existent one. If the news is full of reports that hospitals are overflowing and people are dying, then people won't just stop going to bars and restaurants. They'll stop going shopping or leaving the house at all.

The true gently caress-up here is the total loss of confidence this is going to cause. You really need people to trust state officials when they give the all-clear if you ever want things to go back to normal.

I figured every governor would just say "WE'RE OPEN FOR BUSINESS" and a bunch of bullshit about "trusting responsible adults to make the right choices for themselves"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

brugroffil posted:

Gives me hope that Illinois will move back to Phase 3 in a few weeks after it becomes too obvious to deny that we rushed to Phase 4 despite not meeting the requirements we set out at the start.

What requirements did Illinois miss?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

lmao can't wait til people not only can't access the comforts of modern society but are also jobless and the 'rona unemployment checks stop rolling in

Gonna be a very chill time

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

So is this the mythical second wave or is this just the first wave fighting back for attention because we ignored it

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

What requirements did Illinois miss?

where the gently caress is our contact tracing?

we're also at 600-800 new cases every single day and trending back up

don't give a poo poo about low positivity rates if the total number of new cases is still high and we have no means of containing outbreaks.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

brugroffil posted:

where the gently caress is our contact tracing?

we're also at 600-800 new cases every single day and trending back up

don't give a poo poo about low positivity rates if the total number of new cases is still high and we have no means of containing outbreaks.

We announced we would hire contact tracing by labor day! It definitely won't be a do nothing job for connected people's cousins!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

C-SPAN Caller posted:

So is this the mythical second wave or is this just the first wave fighting back for attention because we ignored it

First wave is over in the places that got hit really hard in March/April, I think. This is now high endemic levels throughout the country and growing with resurgence in some places like CA that had tamped it down initially.

Really just semantics though.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

C-SPAN Caller posted:

i think its best described as the first wave in most of the country because quarantine was put in before it really happened, and now its actually here. really the only place that legit had a first wave was NY and NJ and louisiana

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

One thing to note, the vast majority of the grey counties are places where no one lives. Oldham County in the Texas panhandle, for example, has 2k people and a population density of 1.4 persons per square mile. There simply aren't enough people there to justify a full on hospital.

completely fair, and even if they're not empty they're at lower risk overall due to lower pop density.

incidentally the state publishes some information on ICU capacity, current and total, no idea how trustworthy it is tho

https://gov.texas.gov/uploads/files/press/PPT_6.16.20.pdf

e:

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 15:17 on Jun 26, 2020

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

We announced we would hire contact tracing by labor day! It definitely won't be a do nothing job for connected people's cousins!

Exactly.

This poo poo was supposed to be a requirement for moving to Phase 4. Something like being able to trace 90% of contacts within 72 hours.

Instead we can trace 0% of contacts because there's no actual system in place. It's entirely reliant on people who test positive informing people they may have been in contact with if they can figure it out and feel like it. I have no idea why nobody anywhere is pressing the Gov/IDPH on completely ignoring this self-imposed requirement which is pretty loving important.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mastershakeman posted:

I thought every CVS, Walmart, and Target would have instant COVID testing by April!

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

C-SPAN Caller posted:

The first wave never stopped.

The obvious dumb thing happened, which is that New York and NJ's case growth slowed because of strict measures and at the time that represented the majority of cases so people were duped into thinking the virus had passed everywhere. This was obvious to every person at the time in C-SPAM and was the outward facing justification for opening up.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Idk Nationally it’s probably more like the second wave, wherein non metro areas/lovely metro areas see a spike up because they loosened up too fast.

All this really means is that the Fall/Winter wave will be a third wave wherein everyone deals with having to be cooped up indoors with recirculating air and schools open back up.

I guess that means Spring/Summer ‘21 is the first chance of not existential dread, so buckle up

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The obvious dumb thing happened, which is that New York and NJ's case growth slowed because of strict measures and at the time that represented the majority of cases so people were duped into thinking the virus had passed everywhere. This was obvious to every person at the time in C-SPAM and was the outward facing justification for opening up.

Yeah, it sorta plateau'd for a bit, and now it's back to going up up up!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Crazyweasel posted:

I guess that means Spring/Summer ‘21 is the first chance of not existential dread, so buckle up

Yeah, I figure I'll be a weird loner until at least the fall of 21

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

brugroffil posted:

I figured every governor would just say "WE'RE OPEN FOR BUSINESS" and a bunch of bullshit about "trusting responsible adults to make the right choices for themselves"

Even idiots like Abbot can see what's happening in states that are spiking. Workers at Disney are already starting to demand that the July 11th reopening be delayed, and there's a non-zero chance that Disney ends up caving since they've already postponed Disneyland's reopening.

You really can't force things to reopen in a situation like this, which is something that even the dumbest governors are going to figure out sooner or later. People will just stay home and businesses will shut down so they can furlough their employees.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Penisaurus Sex posted:

You take a graph of US cases with New York / New Jersey excluded and the trendline has been upward without any real drops since the start lol

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

the reason Illinois and others are rushing to whatever phase allows them to open schools is because they know we can't even pretend to have a functional economy come August/September if nobody knows what to do with their kids :ssh:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

The problem is that the chuds have already decided that even having to wear masks is tyranny. It's sort of hard to work out a "restricted but semi-functional economy" in that context.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Paradoxish posted:

Even idiots like Abbot can see what's happening in states that are spiking. Workers at Disney are already starting to demand that the July 11th reopening be delayed, and there's a non-zero chance that Disney ends up caving since they've already postponed Disneyland's reopening.

You really can't force things to reopen in a situation like this, which is something that even the dumbest governors are going to figure out sooner or later. People will just stay home and businesses will shut down so they can furlough their employees.

They already realized this, I think.

Every decision made since late March in the US has been a hail Mary that the virus isn't actually all that bad/will be gone by Summer/will die in heat/will be obviated by a miracle vaccine/etc.

This is because there is no adequate response to this within the ideological bounds of capitalism and neoliberalism. There will be no solution to this crisis until our government reforms or we have a revolution of some kind.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

well not to worry, the Supreme Court is gonna strike down the ACA pre-existing conditions clauses just in time

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

just stop reporting about the mass death. bing bong so simple

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Flesh Forge posted:

well not to worry, the Supreme Court is gonna strike down the ACA pre-existing conditions clauses just in time

Gonna be real cool when 200-280 million Americans cannot have access to healthcare for the rest of their lives because of covid19. That'll work out great, I'm sure.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lol I never would have guessed Texas would be the first to say whoopsiedoodle

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

this is interesting. american media is saying covid toes not likely covid, because antigen tests are negative, and then this spanish paper comes out the same day:

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/spanish-researchers-isolate-coronavirus-in-covid-toes/1890247

Spanish researchers isolate coronavirus in 'COVID toes'
Scientists detect virus on swollen toes of pediatric patients who tested negative for disease

"In this study, all seven patients, aged 11-17, whose skin was analyzed, tested negative for COVID-19 in a PCR test. The researchers later detected viral particles within the inner layer of the blood vessels found in their skin samples."

My toe is still pink 3 months later...not normal.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Penisaurus Sex posted:

They already realized this, I think.

Every decision made since late March in the US has been a hail Mary that the virus isn't actually all that bad/will be gone by Summer/will die in heat/will be obviated by a miracle vaccine/etc.

This is because there is no adequate response to this within the ideological bounds of capitalism and neoliberalism. There will be no solution to this crisis until our government reforms or we have a revolution of some kind.

a huge portion of this is caused directly by trump's mental illness, he demands that everybody accept his delusions are true, and the rest of the GOP is like "ok you're the boss"

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

Flesh Forge posted:

oh cool so the ground glass in my lungs will end up killing me after all!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

C-SPAN Caller posted:

america shouted 'za warudo', paused the first wave, then did virtually nothing in paused time and now the wave can resume

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

BeefThief posted:

We could have tested everybody coming into the country starting in February
We could have not let people wander off the plague ships
We could have avoided a shutdown altogether by detecting and isolating the early cases and their contacts
We could have done a real shutdown that confined everyone but utility workers to their homes
We could have mobilized the national guard to deliver food to people
We could have instituted a $2k/mo UBI for six months to encourage people to stay home and penalize that money if they were out without a good reason
We could have issued a moratorium on mortgages and rents for all properties
We could have done a PPP-like program to cover all employee costs without the money running out
We could have started work on vaccines, tests and antibody tests in January
We could have used the defense authorization act to mandate production of enough materials to test and treat every person in the world
We could have shipped rna/antigen and antibody test kits to every home address
We could have developed processes for testing, contact tracing and case isolation before any hypothetical lockdown occurred
We could have not thrown the pandemic playbook created by the prior administration that had responded to potential crises like this before
We could have come out of this stronger, with a healthier, wealthier and happier public

Instead we did nothing lol

:ck5:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

fosborb posted:

lol I never would have guessed Texas would be the first to say whoopsiedoodle

what do u mean they';re gonna reopen the stadiums!!!11 :clint::texas::clint:

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1276291108000194560?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Flesh Forge posted:

a huge portion of this is caused directly by trump's mental illness, he demands that everybody accept his delusions are true, and the rest of the GOP is like "ok you're the boss"

Replace Trump with Obama and the response to this is materially the same. The adequate response to this is shutting down the US economy for 2 months, direct cash transfers to people, nationalizing key industries, commodity boards, a national eviction and rent moratorium, etc.

None of that gets done by Obama, it doesn't get done by Clinton (either of them), it doesn't get done by Bernie. Obama would've given some nice somber speeches, but that's about it.