Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wish I lived somewhere marshy because I kind of want to try cooking cattail rhizomes and collecting the jelly, just to see what they are like. I didn't know about those things before playing this game. Apparently, people also cook with the pollen from the top part, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mr. Lobe posted:

I wish I lived somewhere marshy because I kind of want to try cooking cattail rhizomes and collecting the jelly, just to see what they are like. I didn't know about those things before playing this game. Apparently, people also cook with the pollen from the top part, too.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Cattails are one of those plants thats basically great all around.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I've eaten roasted cattail root before. It's kind of like a really tasteless potato with lots of fiber. I suppose, with enough preparation, you could harvest a bunch of cattails (which major league sucks because you have to dig the fuckers out mud with standing water), strip down their starchy bits, and probably make a somewhat decent stew out of it.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I'm coming to the conclusion that apparently I'm doomed to morbid obesity. My character hasn't eaten anything except calcium tablets and multivitamins in twenty days, gulping water the whole time, and I still have not come out of being morbidly obese.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

A White Guy posted:

I'm coming to the conclusion that apparently I'm doomed to morbid obesity. My character hasn't eaten anything except calcium tablets and multivitamins in twenty days, gulping water the whole time, and I still have not come out of being morbidly obese.

Get yourself metabolic interchange and exploit that sweet, sweet bodyfat

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

A White Guy posted:

its like real life!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

A combination I have been having fun with is blackbelt profession with imperceptive healing. Granted, blackbelt is practically easy mode, but the pitiful healing gives it an interesting limitation in that you have to be very careful in how you engage, because you can't just expect a cattail jelly bath to set you back right as rain the next day. Even a single unit of health can take more than 2 days to recover with the best bandaging and disinfecting. But if you fight very meticulously and take advantage of your high evasion, you can purge entire towns without taking a scratch.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

38 days of fasting later, my goon has gone from morbidly obese to very obese. So, uh, it's possible to lose weight, it just takes literally eating nothing but water and vitamins for weeks on end.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

A White Guy posted:

38 days of fasting later, my goon has gone from morbidly obese to very obese. So, uh, it's possible to lose weight, it just takes literally eating nothing but water and vitamins for weeks on end.

It's kind of funny - so many things are (thankfully) sped up so that one in-game day represents more than one "real" day of needs for the survivor, but then you get poo poo like this.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

It's kind of funny - so many things are (thankfully) sped up so that one in-game day represents more than one "real" day of needs for the survivor, but then you get poo poo like this.

See, I don't think that is their intention at all. Nothing is supposed to be sped up to represent more than one real day. If any of the Devs ever actually sit down and try to sew something IRL the game will become uplayable.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

A White Guy posted:

There was a morbidly obese man who fasted for an entire year, while monitored by doctors in order to reach a healthy weight. I guess you are getting to relive his experience.

Griz
May 21, 2001

if you take fast metabolism you can get from max fat to normal weight in like 2 weeks of eating salad, but then you end up having to eat an entire pizza and 4 liters of milk a day to maintain it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Arven posted:

See, I don't think that is their intention at all. Nothing is supposed to be sped up to represent more than one real day. If any of the Devs ever actually sit down and try to sew something IRL the game will become uplayable.

It might not be their intention, but going from having absolutely 0 experience in doing something to being a master in the craft in a couple of weeks because you have an instruction manual is insane. It's great for the game, but doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless the time scale is compressed.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
It used to be. I think the old default was either 14 or 30 days / season. Now that it's 'real time' I wouldn't be surprised if they start monkeying with existing systems to make them fall in line. Get ready for a 'cramming' debuff that takes your booklearning rate down to 5% for a week every time you skill up from reading.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Does everyone play on the full 360 days per season? My longest game was back during the very short (I think two week long) seasons and even then I only ended up playing about two years or so before I was basically endgame. Under the new timescale I can't imagine even reaching Winter without being in or at least approaching endgame equipment and ability. A single year at that scale feels like longer than most characters, even really successful ones, could go on.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I do! My current character is actually just about eight hours away from entering Fall. She's achieved quite a lot and is pretty strong now, but there's still a lot to do, granted much of it added by mods.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I usually make it to mid-late summer before I lose interest and start a new character or begin doing increasingly dumb/suicidal things until the character dies.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I always plan to build a settlement with defenses and everything but I always bounce off the clunky construction and NPCs.

Maybe one day we'll be able to wire buildings for electricity and maybe one day NPCs will do stuff, but I get the feeling that the game wasn't really built for that kind of thing.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I had a post upthread explaining how to get a vehicle inside and outside of a building. TLDR: Construct an empty door frame and build the vehicle through it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

My struggle is mainly is integrating my construction with the * menu with outpost building via NPCs, I don't know if you can really do it easily unless and until you've completely built the outpost and then you can go and change it as you please.

I don't bother with that, I just build everything myself.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I had a post upthread explaining how to get a vehicle inside and outside of a building. TLDR: Construct an empty door frame and build the vehicle through it.

Oh yeah that's what I do but it's definitely a clunky workaround. It would be nice for the only "vehicle" you make to be the generator you plug into the building so you can use the kitchen, put up spotlights, etc.

I know it's not really what the game was designed for but it would be cool to be able to move from a survivor stage of the game to a settlement.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Nevets posted:

It used to be. I think the old default was either 14 or 30 days / season. Now that it's 'real time' I wouldn't be surprised if they start monkeying with existing systems to make them fall in line. Get ready for a 'cramming' debuff that takes your booklearning rate down to 5% for a week every time you skill up from reading.

Huh, I missed this change. That explains a lot. The timescale on a game like this is weird - you want it to be real time (or slower, potentially, with the right boosting stuff) for combat, but then you want downtime between raids and fights to be slow so that you burn your supplies, which forces you to go back out and raid again.

I liked the compressed timescale for this reason. Supplies never quite ran short though, so it's one of those odd things where the balance still needs some tweaking.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The only reason that you can still skill up so fast and make clothes so quickly is because they haven't got around to changing it, not because they decided that it's better that way.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I hope they add in a sewing machine so you aren't hand-sewing a gambeson from scratch over the course of a season

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

I hope they add in a sewing machine so you aren't hand-sewing a gambeson from scratch over the course of a season

I think they actually did say sewing machines are going to be in there, electrical or otherwise.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

RIP Irene, doing a perfectly normal raid on a hospital only to get completely and utterly overwhelmed by a truly incredible number of zombies.

Are there any other ending slides other than the ones that are basically "The refugee center was hell to live in, the Tacoma Commune grew nothing and dissolved, the Old Guard held on to a couple of shitholes" or is that not implemented yet? Because I feel like the number of quests I did with Irene, including running out with several questgivers, should probably have given a better outcome.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Pet peeve #42069: Siphoning liquids is tied to a specific item instead of a tool quality. I assume there’s a shitload of hard coded stuff that prevents it but adding a rubber hose to the toolbox would make a lot of IRL-except-apocalypse sense.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Ms Adequate posted:

RIP Irene, doing a perfectly normal raid on a hospital
Your problem is right there. Never go near a hospital without filthy amounts of high-grade weaponry and a planned exit route. Those places are like clown cars except filled with death and misery

Also re: the balance chat. When I read a post from one devs that went like "We only balance around what a survivor can realistically make and do on their own" in response to concerns about fun and gameplay design I mentally ejected and have since ditched all hope in that regard

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yeah I thought I was ready and indeed if I had been sufficiently careful I probably would have been but I overextended and a side room burst open at the worst possible moment, surrounding and trapping us. My own fault.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
How do you escape a lab in the current build. Have 4 electronics and 2 computers but no recipe for an electro hack.

Found a subway and some military ID but all the exit points have card readers and none use the military ID, so I’m guessing I need a science ID which would get me out the main door anyway.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Most (but not all) lab finales contain a science ID card.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder if dynamite could blow open the entrance. If so, you could try getting your cooking to 7, and there are probably the right reagents in the lab.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Heavy Sledge hammer has been way easier for me to use than an acetylene torch. Finding welding gas has gotten progressively more difficult because I have to drive into an infested city, blow into a mechanics garage, and try to get that poo poo out before a zombie hulk rips me to shreds or I spend way too much precious black powder ammo on fending off a horde of enemies.

Honestly every single time I go "I need this, it's probably here", I end up either madly dashing into the place trailed by a horde of zombies and then madly dash out of the front to the house across the street trying to lose the Mi-Go that's chasing after me, carrying a bunch of loot. Most of the time, unless I absolutely have to, I generally try to avoid confrontation because it can go from beating one zombie to death to suddenly a skeletal juggernaut, two huge boomers and a bunch of Z-9s erupts out of a house looking for blood. Morbidly obese goon has gotten back to normal weight so it's a lot easier to run away from things now, but doing labs is such a pain in the rear end because my limbs get so messed up that each lab raid involves at least a two or three days of recovery after I roll back into town with a van full of stolen chems.

Also, I've noticed that Meth is bugged or something because instead of snorting meth and doing tweaker things for two days, my character is collapsing from exhaustion two hours later.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Raid towns at night. Drive a fully-enclosed electric vehicle to the destination (wearing NV goggles), grab the stuff, get back in the car.

Alternative: cover your battlebus in computer-controlled gun turrets and sit there reading while it mows down every zombie in three blocks.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

The Lone Badger posted:

Alternative: cover your battlebus in computer-controlled gun turrets and sit there reading while it mows down every zombie in three blocks.

This but I had a humvee with a few storage batteries and a turbolaser, and some solar panels. I basically rammed my way into one of those robot overun military bases and read a book while the humvee zapped hundreds of those auxiliary bots.

After that I got bored and restarted.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

goatsestretchgoals posted:

FYI you can make the vehicle, then drag it through any open door/window you've broken the glass out of. Then build as normal, which is a little quicker than making an empty door frame.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Is there a special trick to smashing acid zombies without hurting yourself? Seems like fire doesn't work very well, and shooting them from a distance seems like a waste of ammo.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
spears work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Mr. Lobe posted:

Is there a special trick to smashing acid zombies without hurting yourself? Seems like fire doesn't work very well, and shooting them from a distance seems like a waste of ammo.

Assuming you've already got a cutting tool, use the advanced inventory tool to move the acid zombie corpse to a square without an acid pool then chose the dismember option from the butchering menu. Nearly as fast as smashing but without the splashback.