Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same, I started playing Dariusburst again instead and actually managed to clear some more of Chronicle mode lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

2 reasons

1) Degica seems to have swapped to porting RPGs and VNs, leaving Cave without the publisher who handled those 3 PC ports.

2) M2 came along and offered to port several Cave games under their ShotTriggers brand which includes arcade accurate gameplay, extra game modes, arranged soundtracks, and fun widgets that give you lots of extra info about the game...with the caveat that M2 refuses to port to PC because the environment is too variable for arcade accurate slowdown to work consistently. Meaning as long as Cave chooses M2 as their partner these games won't come to PC. Or maybe someday M2 figures out a way to emulate the slowdown in an accurate way on PC. Neither seem likely atm.

thank god for Xenia

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

My preorder for the physical version of the Cozmic Collection Arcade arrived recently and I am really enjoying it so far.
My previous Darius experience was mainly the Saturn version of Garden - this is a great port of that and the versions of Darius and Sagaia are great as well. The games are as well ported and about as full featured as the M2 shottriggers ports and I paid a more for ESP Ra de and that was just for one game.
The pixel perfect display for the original Darius is crazy enough to make this well worth while.

So I would say well worth it for the enthusiast.

Strictly limited have just announced they are bringing the Space Invaders Invincible Collection to the West as well which is great news.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Strictly limited have just announced they are bringing the Space Invaders Invincible Collection to the West as well which is great news.
Just saw this, neat. No word on a digital release though.

For reference, here's what's in the Invincible Collection in chronological order:
Space Invaders (1978, Black and White)
Space Invaders (1978, Color)
Space Invaders Part II (1979)
Lunar Rescue (1979)
Space Cyclone (1980)
Majestic Twelve: The Space Invaders Part IV (1990)
Super Space Invaders ’91 (1990)
Space Invaders DX (1994)
Arkanoid vs. Space Invaders (2017)
Space Invaders Extreme (2018)
Space Invaders Gigamax 4 SE (2018)

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

The Kins posted:

For reference, here's what's in the Invincible Collection in chronological order:
Lunar Rescue (1979)
Space Cyclone (1980)
Space Invaders DX (1994)

gently caress, I was hoping for Space Invaders '95

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The Kins posted:

Lunar Rescue (1979)
Space Cyclone (1980)
Space Invaders DX (1994)

There was no word on the Darius collection for a digital release in USA and it just popped up suddenly.

I think there's a good chance for this to come digitally, it just may take a while.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Willo567 posted:

gently caress, I was hoping for Space Invaders '95
Yeah I was hoping it'd be one of the later reveals but no, wonder why they're leaving it out.

On the plus side I have the arcade cart. But the Japanese version/motherboard. Need to figure out how to ROM/chip swap it to get the English version sometime.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Wow I looked up some footage of space invaders 95 and I gotta say that looks quite charming and unique. It's definitely a big loss that the collection doesn't have that.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

japtor posted:

Yeah I was hoping it'd be one of the later reveals but no, wonder why they're leaving it out.

If it's anything like the poo poo that went down with the Darius collection it's going to be vendor exclusive DLC somewhere in Japan, to be announced soon

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
OH poo poo SPEAKING OF

https://twitter.com/TAITO_Apps/status/1275625044836626432

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Space Invaders 95 runs on Taito F3 which is fairly difficult to emulate - it's the same hardware as Darius Gaiden, which was completely hosed on that recent Darius collection when it first launched.

They're not going to talk about a digital release until the limited versions are sold and shipped, they're lame like that.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Uh is this the same Another Chronicle as in DBCS?

G Darius HD could be super cool though, hope it's reasonably priced.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Ofecks posted:

You can currently dial-in reasonably accurate speeds in MAME for games on that hardware using blitter and CPU speed sliders. Each game is different.

See https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66312

you can but for whatever inscrutable reason its not up to m2s standards. messing with the cpu speed and blitter works great if youre playing on mame at home but theyve always been explicit they want ~the most accurate port possible~ and using those can also introduce inaccuracies. i think its really stupid but the ports are good and help keep interest up so it could be worse. hopefully sometime in the future we do get pc ports because consoles have an inherent lifetime attached that really only kicks the can down the road rather than fixes the issue of availability.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I believe M2 have mentioned that the engine they use for their ShotTriggers games has some weird speed issues on Windows 10 that they need to fix... that was mentioned a few years ago, but given that PC gaming isn't a huge deal in Japan I doubt there's been much in the way of momentum to change that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
M2's primarily concerned with input lag, not slowdown - they put a lot of effort into keeping it down but the techniques they use on consoles and Windows 7 don't work to the same extent on Windows 10. That said, I think they're just not big enough to handle more than a couple versions at once on their own money.

bees x1000 posted:

Uh is this the same Another Chronicle as in DBCS?

G Darius HD could be super cool though, hope it's reasonably priced.

They added a plus on the end so it'll probably have new stuff.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Space Invaders 95 runs on Taito F3 which is fairly difficult to emulate - it's the same hardware as Darius Gaiden, which was completely hosed on that recent Darius collection when it first launched.

They're not going to talk about a digital release until the limited versions are sold and shipped, they're lame like that.

Yeah I learned my lesson with Darius. I'm just gonna wait for the digital editions because it's gonna happen anyway if they can produce it physically in the west.

Gonna offload my physical Darius games on ebay and buy them digitally.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Well hot drat.

I wonder what, if any, content will be included from the original PSP Dariusburst or the Chronicle Saviors home port. God knows DBAC already has more than enough content by itself, but it'd still be nice to have the rest of the CS content available on a portable system that isn't the Vita.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

I wonder if the horrible GBA game will be some sort of preorder bonus.

Either way I'm in, looking forward to Darius Burst

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Ineffiable posted:

Wow I looked up some footage of space invaders 95 and I gotta say that looks quite charming and unique. It's definitely a big loss that the collection doesn't have that.

Is that Aarkanvader or whatever? The one with a cat in a cardboard box as a player craft?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Never played arcade Life Force/Salamander before, more games should tell me 'kidney stones cannot be destroyed' in 80's voice samples

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat that went from a cakewalk to jesus gently caress ow in a microsecond, who designed that bouncing ball boss?????

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Sisters Royale: Five Sisters Under Fire, the new game from Alfa System (Castle of Shikigami) is coming out for Xbox and Windows 10 via the Windows Store on July 10th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6W4rNGgYnI

It's currently available for PS4 and Switch. No word on if it's coming to Steam or any other PC platforms.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ZeroRanger updated with a fun new mode. If you don't already own the game it's really great and currently on sale. They're finally selling the soundtrack too, they were holding off because there's new music in this update.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

ZeroRanger is one of my top 3 shmups and honestly one of the finest games I've ever played. Get it, and go in blind if you can. It's a trip.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I can't shill for ZeroRanger enough; I've known the people who made it for years and they're great people who, and I think this should be obvious from the game, really care about shmups. The game's great, worth all of your time to play and replay.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

After playing through the Konami Arcade Collection I got for £4 I've come to the conclusion that all early Konami shumups were trash apart from Gradius 1 which didnt do much to piss me off.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

gradius 1 didn't do much at all. gradius 2's decent, but I find it hard to go back to any shmups before like the snes era and with gradius specifically, anything before gaiden

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I'm not a huge fan of so-called Golden Age arcade stuff, but Scramble and Super Cobra are pretty enjoyable to play, I've found.

'85 was a pretty good year for shmups - Gradius, Terra Cresta, Tiger Heli were big leaps forward in terms of design.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Got my first 1cc on Gunbird 2. On lvl 1 difficulty "baby"... The step up to lvl 2 is pretty significant.

I can get to the final stage on level 2 but haven't made it through. It's a fun game.

I'm eyeballing Zero Ranger, Blue Revolver, and Dariusburst Chronicles in the steam sale.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
ZeroRanger is worth it even on its not sale price, and it just got updated with a new mode too! its a steal.

Chronicle Saviors is probably worth it just for the deep discount: that game is from what ive heard cool but not at all worth the normal price.

Kagaya Homoraisan fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 26, 2020

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Dabir posted:

I can't shill for ZeroRanger enough; I've known the people who made it for years and they're great people who, and I think this should be obvious from the game, really care about shmups. The game's great, worth all of your time to play and replay.

Tell them I've loved the game and the soundtrack since it was a demo called Final Boss :love:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
OK I'm stuck trying to complete the Speed Zone challenge (Clear high speed maze section in stage 4 within 45 seconds). How do I get the maze section to move faster? Do I have to also have to kill the enemies off screen?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

ZeroRanger is worth it even on its not sale price, and it just got updated with a new mode too! its a steal.

Chronicle Saviors is probably worth it just for the deep discount: that game is from what ive heard cool but not at all worth the normal price.

I disagree. I got it at full price and the Chronicle Saviours mode by itself was more than worth it. What's not really worth the price are the DLC ships; they look cool, sure, but tthere's barely any reason to use them. They would have gotten more money for extra missions/bosses.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Samurai Aces III: Sengoku Cannon is coming to Steam on July 13th:

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/256790122/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1593402016

Are there any shmup discords worth following in the event of the forums collapsing?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

There is the official shmups forum discord but I haven't set foot in there in a while.

Also I forgot they made another Sengoku Aces game, I think this one was on PSP.

Re: DLC for Chronicle Saviors it's cute but yeah, some of it's pretty ridiculous. The Inter-Gray (Night Striker) has a loving powerful beam attack which is fun to use but some of the stuff like Soukyugurentai feels like they didn't quite mesh the game system with Darius' system well.

I really hope we find out when Ginga Force and Natsuki Chronicle hit Steam because I've been jonesing for both for a while now, especially GF because the shop system is kinda neat and as usual the music is rad as ever. Qute never stops impressing me.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 30, 2020

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Looks like Sol Divide is coming to Steam on July 20th:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1279450/SOL_DIVIDE_SWORD_OF_DARKNESS/

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/256791221/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1593574695

Zeether posted:

I really hope we find out when Ginga Force and Natsuki Chronicle hit Steam because I've been jonesing for both for a while now, especially GF because the shop system is kinda neat and as usual the music is rad as ever. Qute never stops impressing me.

No update on Steam release but Ginga Force just released on PS4 on Japanese PSN so there's at least some forward movement.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 3, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I bought ZeroRanger during the steam sale. I fired it up and I find it brutal. Is there a beginner's guide or something to get me acquainted with the game? It's incredible cool, but I'm struggling with the claustrophobic environment of stage 2 already. And I have no idea what the different modes mean (only played main one so far).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Artelier posted:

And I have no idea what the different modes mean (only played main one so far).
Green Orange is the original game mode. White Vanilla is a recently-added mode with remixed stages for a new challenge. Black Onion is still under development, and will basically be "hard mode" (as if the original game wasn't hard enough)

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Artelier posted:

So I bought ZeroRanger during the steam sale. I fired it up and I find it brutal. Is there a beginner's guide or something to get me acquainted with the game? It's incredible cool, but I'm struggling with the claustrophobic environment of stage 2 already.

You just have to keep at it. You can start from subsequent stages and you'll be getting continues, so eventually you'll overcome it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Blattdorf posted:

You just have to keep at it. You can start from subsequent stages and you'll be getting continues, so eventually you'll overcome it.

I hadn't realised, thank you!

--

Reached stage five and...did I just fight Not Sans.

Edit: AM I GOING BACK IN TIME???? REMIXED STAGE TWO IS GOING TO KILL MEEEE

Edit #2: THERE ARE BRANCHING PATHS???? :psyduck:

Artelier fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 13, 2020