Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

!Klams posted:

Huh, sadly, it turns out that is the exact fan I have, and I can't overclock it to even 4.00ghz and keep it stable. Boo. Oh, even better, I appear to have bricked my pc trying to test it's stability at 3.8. Cool. I'm an idiot.

Unless you made a horrible mistake with voltage, you probably just need to reset the cmos -- use the jumper on the board as described in the manual, or pull all power and remove the mobo battery for a minute.

edit: Also people interested in OCing should head to the overclocking megathread for questions and advice.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Klyith posted:

Unless you made a horrible mistake with voltage, you probably just need to reset the cmos -- use the jumper on the board as described in the manual, or pull all power and remove the mobo battery for a minute.

edit: Also people interested in OCing should head to the overclocking megathread for questions and advice.

Fantastic, thanks, it actually ended up being the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility loving it all up. I'll take myself off to that thread now though! You guys ruuuuullleee!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I still haven't bought a GPU to go into my i7-4770 ITX build. I've had a 1660 Super in my cart for a while now, but how dumb would it be to get a 2060 Super instead for the ray tracing, considering how old the CPU it'll be paired with is?

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
All the new consoles are going to have ray tracing, so that's going to start being a thing in a lot of games going forwards.

It's hard to say, really, and depends on when you are planning on upgrading next.

You can get a 2060 Super now and take advantage of the ray tracing that will become common in the next few years, but you might also be having trouble getting good framerates in general.

You can get the 1660 Super now, and be good for the next year or two, then when the support for ray tracing is a bit more omnipresent you can upgrade then to have a card that can take advantage of it and not get poor framerates.

The processor has 4 cores and 8 threads, so you may actually be alright for quite awhile with that, only really held back by raw performance, and not lack of threads.

Personally, I think you might be better off pairing your processor with a 1660 Super and then in 2-3 years upgrade the whole thing.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mistikman posted:

All the new consoles are going to have ray tracing, so that's going to start being a thing in a lot of games going forwards.

It's hard to say, really, and depends on when you are planning on upgrading next.

You can get a 2060 Super now and take advantage of the ray tracing that will become common in the next few years, but you might also be having trouble getting good framerates in general.

You can get the 1660 Super now, and be good for the next year or two, then when the support for ray tracing is a bit more omnipresent you can upgrade then to have a card that can take advantage of it and not get poor framerates.

The processor has 4 cores and 8 threads, so you may actually be alright for quite awhile with that, only really held back by raw performance, and not lack of threads.

Personally, I think you might be better off pairing your processor with a 1660 Super and then in 2-3 years upgrade the whole thing.

The 2060 Super really isn't a ray tracing solution, I wouldn't pitch it as a viable card if you were specifically looking for RT. The 2070S is basically the minimum viable product I would consider for RT, and honestly, there are new Nvidia RTX cards hitting the market within 6 or so months with revised raytracing and improved DLSS as well as the inherent performance increases from a new architecture.

That said the 2060S is a fine card at 1440P when not in raytracing mode.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
No one should be buying RTX right now for raytracing. Bottomline, end of story. Skillup played some Cyberpunk preview and he needed a 2080ti @ 1080p to generate 60+ FPS and used DLSS to upscale.

If you want the raytracing stuff, just save your money and add another 300 bucks to the budget and buy RTX 3k series when it comes out (after reviews and benchmarks of course) or look at the AMD RDNA 2 solutions.

BigD7976
Feb 24, 2014

by VideoGames
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.49 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($178.75 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 5700 8 GB STRIX Gaming OC Video Card
Case: Corsair SPEC-DELTA RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Corsair)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($158.68 @ Amazon)
Total: $799.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-26 11:19 EDT-0400

Sorry for reposting this, but I am in need of input. What are thoughts on this build? Is this a good to go build? Did I miss anything important? I'm getting ready to head to microcenter, either today or tomorrow. And want to know what if there is a consensus on what I should change or downgrade/upgrade keeping it at around 1200 otd. I'm using it for gaming/multiple monitor setup/home theatre.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BigD7976 posted:

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($178.75 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($158.68 @ Amazon)

Sorry for reposting this, but I am in need of input. What are thoughts on this build? Is this a good to go build? Did I miss anything important? I'm getting ready to head to microcenter, either today or tomorrow. And want to know what if there is a consensus on what I should change or downgrade/upgrade keeping it at around 1200 otd. I'm using it for gaming/multiple monitor setup/home theatre.

Samsung drives are overpriced relative to their competition. Pick the cheapest between a WD SN750, HP EX950, Adata SX8200 Pro. Edit: wait you're going to microcenter, get their Inland Premium 1TB NVMe drive.

I'm presuming you know not to pay $160 for that PSU, and will wait until it's back in stock for cheaper. Also the corsair memory at $90 is like $25 more than regular 3200-C16 memory, so that's a place you could save money.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Hello thread! I have a friend in need who wants to play Cyberpunk 2077 on max settings, Stream their gameplay AND be able to do VR gaming.

Their budget is $2,000 USD.

If they were just doing Cyberpunk at max res I'd suggest a part list myself but I figure I'd better ask professionals. :)

e;
Oh and the case MUST have fan and internal lighting with a clear view of the innards.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 26, 2020

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
For all of that I would probably wait until the next gen NVIDIA cards release in early fall (hopefully). Also a resolution for the max settings might be helpful. The game also isn't out yet so it's a bit hard to say what's going to work and what isn't.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Hello thread! I have a friend in need who wants to play Cyberpunk 2077 on max settings, Stream their gameplay AND be able to do VR gaming.

Their budget is $2,000 USD.

If they were just doing Cyberpunk at max res I'd suggest a part list myself but I figure I'd better ask professionals. :)

Tell him to wait and build it in November.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Okay cool, I'll check back with the partslist then and followup post.

Sorry I have no plans to play Cyberpunk2077 myself so I have no idea what the requirements are.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

MariusLecter posted:

Okay cool, I'll check back with the partslist then and followup post.

Sorry I have no plans to play Cyberpunk2077 myself so I have no idea what the requirements are.

Yea, unfortunately, "requirements" and MAX SETTINGS WHILE STREAMING are two entirely different things. Which is why it would be better to wait until closer to launch when new technology is out and you can get a feel for what will *really* work for those specific things and someone can really help you out! Hopefully the game doesn't get delayed again! :v:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yeah, if the goal is a maxed out Cypberpunk with headroom to spare, the best thing is to wait for AMD Zen 3 and RTX 3000 series to come out later this year.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I am looking at building a desktop to do my work on. I really don't care how cool it looks. I would rather save money on that and put it into making it more powerful. My husband and I are currently sharing his alienware desktop and its just not working. I really need my own computer and he's not super satisfied with it so I decided I might as well build my own so I can get more power for my money. I've built computers before, but its been a while.
I'm in the US, My budget is a soft $1500. I'd like to keep it at or below $2000. The closer to $1500 the better, but I can wiggle on the price if paying a little more on certain parts will drastically increase performance.

The program I use that I want to be able to crunch hard is Reality Capture. Its photogrammetry software. It has very specific requirements:
https://support.capturingreality.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001524071-OS-and-hardware-requirements
- 64bit machine with at least 8GB of RAM
- 64bit Microsoft Windows version 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 or Windows Server version 2008+
- NVIDIA graphics card with CUDA 2.0+ capabilities and 1GB RAM.

We recommend using a machine with at least 4 CPU cores, 16GB of RAM and 1024 CUDA cores. If you do not have the NVIDIA card, you will be still able to run the application and register images, you will not be able to create textured mesh.

The CPU is required to support SSE4.2 (Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.2) or higher.

I also do game/vr dev and video editing. The priority is getting a system that can run the photogrammetry software well. Honestly, if it can do the photogrammetry software well it'll run all my other software well.

I feel overwhelmed when I go to pc part picker. I know I'm going to have to find a good balance between the CPU and the video card as far as where I put my money. I've tried to do some research, such as apparently Intel works better than Ryzen for the software I want to run: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/RealityCapture-Performance-Intel-Core-10th-Gen-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3rd-Gen-1767/
How much of a difference is there between the i7 and i9? Would it be better to get a 9th generation i9 or a 10th generation i7?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Alterian posted:

I am looking at building a desktop to do my work on. I really don't care how cool it looks. I would rather save money on that and put it into making it more powerful. My husband and I are currently sharing his alienware desktop and its just not working. I really need my own computer and he's not super satisfied with it so I decided I might as well build my own so I can get more power for my money. I've built computers before, but its been a while.
I'm in the US, My budget is a soft $1500. I'd like to keep it at or below $2000. The closer to $1500 the better, but I can wiggle on the price if paying a little more on certain parts will drastically increase performance.

The program I use that I want to be able to crunch hard is Reality Capture. Its photogrammetry software. It has very specific requirements:
https://support.capturingreality.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001524071-OS-and-hardware-requirements
- 64bit machine with at least 8GB of RAM
- 64bit Microsoft Windows version 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 or Windows Server version 2008+
- NVIDIA graphics card with CUDA 2.0+ capabilities and 1GB RAM.

We recommend using a machine with at least 4 CPU cores, 16GB of RAM and 1024 CUDA cores. If you do not have the NVIDIA card, you will be still able to run the application and register images, you will not be able to create textured mesh.

The CPU is required to support SSE4.2 (Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.2) or higher.

I also do game/vr dev and video editing. The priority is getting a system that can run the photogrammetry software well. Honestly, if it can do the photogrammetry software well it'll run all my other software well.

I feel overwhelmed when I go to pc part picker. I know I'm going to have to find a good balance between the CPU and the video card as far as where I put my money. I've tried to do some research, such as apparently Intel works better than Ryzen for the software I want to run: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/RealityCapture-Performance-Intel-Core-10th-Gen-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3rd-Gen-1767/
How much of a difference is there between the i7 and i9? Would it be better to get a 9th generation i9 or a 10th generation i7?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Based on that article I wouldn't go Intel over AMD, actually. From the conclusion:

"Performance in RealityCapture appears to be a very mixed bag, without a clear "best" processor like many other applications have."

"Intel's new 10th Gen Core processors, in particular the top-end Core i9 10900K, are as fast or faster per dollar than AMD's Ryzen 3rd Gen chips in RealityCapture. Don't focus on that limited comparison too much, though, as there isn't a lot of performance difference between most of the CPUs we have tested in this application - with $400 and $4,000 chips less than 10% apart in processing time."

To generalize, the top of the line Intel chips are overpriced for almost everything, run very hot and are power hogs from hell.

Let me see what I can whip up in a minute...

e: Inventory for mobos and PSUs right now is so lovely that building a system in PC Part Picker just sort of told me to gently caress off lol. Based on https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-RealityCapture-228/Hardware-Recommendations I'd look at a 3900X and 32 GB of RAM. On the video card side it looks like you probably want something better than a 1660 Ti, but the jump from a 2060 to a 2080Ti is all of 10% so don't gently caress with the megabucks GPU cards.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 26, 2020

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

Klyith posted:

Based on what is in stock right now:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Canada Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.75 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Memory Express)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($83.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $913.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-07 15:50 EDT-0400

Possible additions:
$20: Win10 key from SA mart if you don't have the win7 or win8 key from your old laptop
$50-100: a sound card? unless you already have a external sound interface?

A ryzen 1600 isn't a good buy new, but if you find one used for $150 or less that's a good pick. The 3300X I picked there is a great little chip but it just came out and stock is a bit dicey.

RX Vega is horrible. I picked the RX 580 to stay under your $1000 budget, but you don't need to stay all-AMD by any means, there isn't any advantage to that. If you had an extra $100 available the nvidia 1660 Super is a worthy upgrade, but the 580 is the best price/performance for a budget system.

Whew! I survived a few weeks of hellish work and am back at planning a PC. Thanks for this!

I totally have flexibility with the budget, so I added the upgrade you suggested to the card. I also picked out a case that seems to be compatible and well-reviewed:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($185.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($65.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card ($239.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($109.98 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $955.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-26 17:09 EDT-0400

Of course, my delay means that that particular Ryzen is out of stock at the moment. Is there another Ryzen that's fairly comparable?

The only other thing that is popping up for me are these flags:

Warning! Some AMD B450 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.
Note: The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard.
Note: Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders.

Is it possible for PC Part Picker to verify with certainty these notes and warnings aren't an issue? Or is that something I can ignore/won't matter?

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

yeah ok ok yeah posted:

The only other thing that is popping up for me are these flags:

Warning! Some AMD B450 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.
Note: The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard.
Note: Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders.

Is it possible for PC Part Picker to verify with certainty these notes and warnings aren't an issue? Or is that something I can ignore/won't matter?

PC Part picker can't know if the seller you are buying the cooler from is providing the necessary adapter or not, and the clearances it won't know either, but you should be able to check the manufacturer to know the max height for CPU coolers for that case, but it's probably not an issue.

As for the first one, see title of the thread.

BigD7976
Feb 24, 2014

by VideoGames

BigD7976 posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.49 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 5700 8 GB STRIX Gaming OC Video Card
Case: Corsair SPEC-DELTA RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $799.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-26 11:19 EDT-0400

Went to micro center, got everything on here except the video card and the mobo for 987 OTD, I ended up getting https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-11293-01-20G-Radeon-Backplate-Graphics/dp/B07WC7683C instead of the card I had above, they didn't have the mobo I wanted and I didn't want to compromise. How did I do?

Edit: Also, I boneheaded this, but I need windows. What are my cost efficient options? TIA.

BigD7976 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 26, 2020

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Windows via SA Mart is about as cost efficient as you can get without actual piracy.

BigD7976
Feb 24, 2014

by VideoGames

FreeKillB posted:

Windows via SA Mart is about as cost efficient as you can get without actual piracy.

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding. How is that possible? Or is this a gift horse scenario?

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

BigD7976 posted:

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding. How is that possible? Or is this a gift horse scenario?

He must have bought bulk OEM keys, which are hilariously cheaper than retail keys but exactly as functional (minus being able to easily attach them to a new computer)

My guess is he is selling them very close to cost. It's easy to find people online selling windows keys for $25 or so, which would be a solid profit if you can sell enough.

BigD7976
Feb 24, 2014

by VideoGames
I know this is a stupid question before I ask. But, how do I install windows without a disc? Is there somewhere I can download it to a usb or something? I've never built a computer without an optical drive. But times are changing.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

BigD7976 posted:

I know this is a stupid question before I ask. But, how do I install windows without a disc? Is there somewhere I can download it to a usb or something? I've never built a computer without an optical drive. But times are changing.

You need a ~8GB flash drive that you're willing to reformat. The download is available for free from Microsoft, all it needs is a key.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Technically it doesn't even require a key, you can install it without one and never add the key/activate Windows if you're willing to live with the restrictions that entails (mostly some locked customization) :v:

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

FreeKillB posted:

You need a ~8GB flash drive that you're willing to reformat. The download is available for free from Microsoft, all it needs is a key.

I used to use an 8GB one, but at some point it started yelling at me that I didn't have enough space, so I would suggest just playing it safe and going with bigger than 8GB.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you go to CES or other PC related tradeshows they are all running Windows 10 without activation since it's completely functional. Even big booths like Fractal Design and NZXT. I wouldn't be surprised if Windows goes free soon.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Posting from my PowerSpec pre-built and so far it's decent. I tried the Asrock RX580 that came with it out of curiosity but it ran loud and hot compared to my old 1070 so I put my old 1070 in there after running DDU. My only critiques of the system so far are the non-modular PSU and DDR4-2666 RAM but somewhat slower RAM doesn't hurt Zen 2 as much right? Or would getting faster RAM net me a noticable performance boost in gaming?

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

Mistikman posted:

As for the first one, see title of the thread.

ahaha, whoosh! totally spaced on that. thanks!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Is the corona virus still raising prices a ton? I'd like to get a new computer because my 4 year old laptop is dying and I finally live in a place that has room for a desktop.

I've got a budget of about 1200 only, so I would prefer not to have a lot of that budget get eaten up by corona virus surcharge.

BigD7976
Feb 24, 2014

by VideoGames

KittyEmpress posted:

Is the corona virus still raising prices a ton? I'd like to get a new computer because my 4 year old laptop is dying and I finally live in a place that has room for a desktop.

I've got a budget of about 1200 only, so I would prefer not to have a lot of that budget get eaten up by corona virus surcharge.

I just bought the majority of a new desktop today, and I think I made out handsomely. But I think that was largely due to the fact that I have a micro center super close to me. I did this minus the mobo for 987 otd.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vhVXrV

BigD7976
Feb 24, 2014

by VideoGames
When the hell did forum avatars get wiped?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

spasticColon posted:

Posting from my PowerSpec pre-built and so far it's decent. I tried the Asrock RX580 that came with it out of curiosity but it ran loud and hot compared to my old 1070 so I put my old 1070 in there after running DDU. My only critiques of the system so far are the non-modular PSU and DDR4-2666 RAM but somewhat slower RAM doesn't hurt Zen 2 as much right? Or would getting faster RAM net me a noticable performance boost in gaming?

Nah, even with 2666 ram you won't be memory limited at 60fps. And even with a high refresh monitor and a setup that might be memory limited the gains ain't huge unless you're willing to gently caress around with timings manually.

Out of curiosity, what motherboard and PSU did it come with?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Some Goon posted:

Nah, even with 2666 ram you won't be memory limited at 60fps. And even with a high refresh monitor and a setup that might be memory limited the gains ain't huge unless you're willing to gently caress around with timings manually.

Out of curiosity, what motherboard and PSU did it come with?

The motherboard is a ASrock B450M/ac (which is the motherboard the specs on the webpage said it would come with) and after taking the other side panel off and loosening the PSU from the case just enough to see the side with brand label (it's covered by a shroud inside the case) it's a Cooler Master 600W 80 Plus with 46A on the 12V rail. I would hope that would plenty for a Ryzen 3600 and GTX1070.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Mu Zeta posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Windows goes free soon.
It pretty much is already if you think about it since it will run forever without being given a key or being activated and only disables some appearance related options.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

Overall it's still pretty bad, especially for motherboards and PSUs. CPUs and RAM seem more normal, video cards are hit or miss. You also just see random items jacked up 2x or more for no reason while others are fine.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

sean10mm posted:

Based on that article I wouldn't go Intel over AMD, actually. From the conclusion:

"Performance in RealityCapture appears to be a very mixed bag, without a clear "best" processor like many other applications have."

"Intel's new 10th Gen Core processors, in particular the top-end Core i9 10900K, are as fast or faster per dollar than AMD's Ryzen 3rd Gen chips in RealityCapture. Don't focus on that limited comparison too much, though, as there isn't a lot of performance difference between most of the CPUs we have tested in this application - with $400 and $4,000 chips less than 10% apart in processing time."

To generalize, the top of the line Intel chips are overpriced for almost everything, run very hot and are power hogs from hell.

Let me see what I can whip up in a minute...

e: Inventory for mobos and PSUs right now is so lovely that building a system in PC Part Picker just sort of told me to gently caress off lol. Based on https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-RealityCapture-228/Hardware-Recommendations I'd look at a 3900X and 32 GB of RAM. On the video card side it looks like you probably want something better than a 1660 Ti, but the jump from a 2060 to a 2080Ti is all of 10% so don't gently caress with the megabucks GPU cards.

Thanks for looking at the situation. This is the build I've sort of come up with. Some of it was random guessing (like the case and power supply) It seems like there's a huge jump in price between 3600 and 4000 speed RAM. Is it worth it? I went with the cheaper one to keep the price a little lower.
I'm not quite sure what this compatibility issue means and how to pick a different part to fix it: The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QdV9mg

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Alterian posted:

Thanks for looking at the situation. This is the build I've sort of come up with. Some of it was random guessing (like the case and power supply) It seems like there's a huge jump in price between 3600 and 4000 speed RAM. Is it worth it? I went with the cheaper one to keep the price a little lower.
I'm not quite sure what this compatibility issue means and how to pick a different part to fix it: The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QdV9mg

That issue is just that adding M.2 drives limits the number of SATA drives you can add on top of that. It applies to B450 boards only. If you need shitloads of SATA drives while also using M.2 slots, then the B550 and X570 don't have that limitation.

3600 CL16 RAM is the sweet spot for Zen2 performance. Going higher isn't worth it. 3200 CL14 also performs well, but last I looked was often priced higher than 3600 CL16.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3508-ryzen-3000-memory-benchmark-best-ram-fclk-uclock-mclock

Samsung SSDs are severely overpriced now. Get whatever has the best price that day between the WD SN750 or ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro.

That power supply is like a $65 part jacked up to $100. If I couldn't wait for power supply prices to calm down I'd spend a bit more for something like this https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WrNypg/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fx but prices & stock seem to be all over the place from day to day.

e: If you can wait for B550 boards to come into stock soon-ish, you might want to try something like this? The B450 version may also be back in stock someplace for its normal $140ish price soon as well.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($413.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC Video Card ($394.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1542.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-27 09:55 EDT-0400

If you can wait (hopefully only) a month or so, a lot of prices & inventory should settle down.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 27, 2020

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Edit: disregard this post, I am a moron. I had the display port cable plugged into the MoBo instead of the graphics card.

Built my pc today but am not getting a display signal on my monitor.

Case: NZXT H1
MoBo: MSI b450i
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Storage: Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe
RAM: G.SKILL Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
Video Card Sapphire Pulse 5600 XT

For the debug LEDs:
1. CPU light comes on for about a second and then goes off.
2. Next, VGA light goes on for a second and then off.
3. Finally, BOOT light comes on and stays on.

The DRAM light does not come on at all. All fans are spinning. I’ve reseated then RAM twice and tried different seating locations as well as one stick at a time. I’ve also pulled out the GPU and reseated it. Finally, I pulled out the CPU and checked the pins and reseated it.

Looking for any guidance in next steps. I’m gonna pick up an HDMI cable later today to see if the display port cable is the problem. Everything is brand new so no prior history with any component.

Could my MOBO still have the old Gen 2 bios? It said Gen 2 on the box but the serial number showed a production date of April 2020.

grenada fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

laxbro posted:

For the debug LEDs:
1. CPU light comes on for about a second and then goes off.
2. Next, VGA light goes on for a second and then off.
3. Finally, BOOT light comes on and stays on.

The DRAM light does not come on at all. All fans are spinning. I’ve reseated then RAM twice and tried different seating locations as well as one stick at a time. I’ve also pulled out the GPU and reseated it. Finally, I pulled out the CPU and checked the pins and reseated it.

Looking for any guidance in next steps. I’m gonna pick up an HDMI cable later today to see if the display port cable is the problem. Everything is brand new so no prior history with any component.

Could my MOBO still have the old Gen 2 bios? It said Gen 2 on the box but the serial number showed a production date of April 2020.

That pattern of lights is telling you that -- as far as the mobo knows -- everything is working. Reaching the boot led means it's successfully moved past everything else and is ready to boot an OS, but it doesn't see any drive that's bootable. If you plugged in your windows install stick it would start booting off that and the boot led would also turn off.

So I would say that display cable, monitor, and GPU are the order of things to check. Once you have a HDMI cable try that, and also if you have a TV around you could plug the PC into the TV to see if you get video.

If the bios wasn't updates for 3000 it would hang on the CPU part of the boot with the CPU led on. (Not sure why the ram led never lights up, it may be moving past that step so quickly that it doesn't even visibly flash the light.)