Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m getting all my jobs to 50 at the very least before I dive into endgame poo poo because I’ve been led to believe endgame stuff is pretty sparse, as far as carrots go? I’m enjoying my slowish leveling, and I dump my SH daily missions onto my alt classes and don’t play too hard but every so often I’ll do a VHAQ and get a couple levels on my highest level class, Ranger. My last class to level is Bouncer and the rest of them stopped around 50.

My hot takes so far, probably mostly wrong:

Gunner seems like a lot to deal with, without being as good as Ranger. Fun and flashy, tho

Hunter is a tank first, brawler second. Fighter is a brawler first, tank never. Both are good and fun and cool and frankly I wish Fighter got guards.

Force rules, but gets pretty boring without groups. Techter too. Dropping meteors and gazondes, the life.

Braver seems like a lots going on, but it feels like it underperforms compared to Ranger/fighter imo. Very cool and fun tho.

Bouncer is level 30 or so, seems fun and cool and good, but I don’t know what spells to use.

Summoner is sometimes too strong and other times too weak. I switched to mainly using Trim recently and everything got better tho. Hitting 100k at 40 was a shock.

Great all-around performer? Ranger/Hunter. Never stop shooting, never die, auto-mates for life. Steady Shot during PSE Bursts is just great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nemo2342 posted:

Welp, Fighter is already at 55. What's the best way to bang it out?

VH AQs, UQs

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

jokes posted:

I’m getting all my jobs to 50 at the very least before I dive into endgame poo poo because I’ve been led to believe endgame stuff is pretty sparse, as far as carrots go? I’m enjoying my slowish leveling, and I dump my SH daily missions onto my alt classes and don’t play too hard but every so often I’ll do a VHAQ and get a couple levels on my highest level class, Ranger. My last class to level is Bouncer and the rest of them stopped around 50.

My hot takes so far, probably mostly wrong:

Gunner seems like a lot to deal with, without being as good as Ranger. Fun and flashy, tho

Hunter is a tank first, brawler second. Fighter is a brawler first, tank never. Both are good and fun and cool and frankly I wish Fighter got guards.

Force rules, but gets pretty boring without groups. Techter too. Dropping meteors and gazondes, the life.

Braver seems like a lots going on, but it feels like it underperforms compared to Ranger/fighter imo. Very cool and fun tho.

Bouncer is level 30 or so, seems fun and cool and good, but I don’t know what spells to use.

Summoner is sometimes too strong and other times too weak. I switched to mainly using Trim recently and everything got better tho. Hitting 100k at 40 was a shock.

Great all-around performer? Ranger/Hunter. Never stop shooting, never die, auto-mates for life. Steady Shot during PSE Bursts is just great.

The twin dagger weapon action acts as a 360 degree guard while you're spinning, and the double saber weapon action works the same when you take the wind parry skill

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Am I correct in assuming I should do these "get me HU Cube" COs before changing out? Maybe I've missed something, but I think the build guides are using those skill points.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Nemo2342 posted:

Am I correct in assuming I should do these "get me HU Cube" COs before changing out? Maybe I've missed something, but I think the build guides are using those skill points.

You can, but honestly skipping 4 points is skipping out on like ~2-3% of a damage increase. If you don't want to grind out another 10 'levels' of Hunter you should still be fine to clear anything in the game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It probably doesn't matter that much what your prioritize, but I'd feel like leveling the Fighter might be more valuable since you'll probably get more value from 20ish skill points in your sub tree then a few more in your main? Also the bonus for leveling it to 75, and the future req. of having two classes at 75 to play those other classes.

Just personally, when I hit 75 on Fi, I swapped to my sub (Hu) and switched my sub to Gu since I heard subs don't get XP past level 55, so I figured I'd gain more leveling alts, and it wasn't like I'm doing anything so hard I needed a proper sub.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
As a sub, Fighter honestly doesn't need that many skill points to get the most relevant sub-specific skills. A lot of its skillpoints as a main go into the halfline/deadline skills which are only reliably activated with Overload which FI as a sub doesn't have access to.

You'll still get more value out of leveling FI than grinding out the extra levels on HU through the extra substats though probably.

Generally, if you're planning on using the main three sub classes (HU, FI, and SMN) as only a sub, there's plenty of points left over in each tree that would get dumped into the not great base stat bonuses. Like Summoner only really needs 35 skill points to get most of the sub relevant skills before starting to get raw stat points. And once you take the offensive stat ups, that's still only 58.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
How meaningful are the permanent level 75 bonuses? Seems like not that significant even if you get all of them.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
It's free stats, it's very good. Affixing the type of stats you get from 75 would probably be 8 digit corn.

Definitely something to get around to. Plus some classes need the class bonuses to wear some items. I had to level a dex class to have enough dex to wear a nemesis weapon without using a suboptimal mag.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The most useful class bonuses are probably Bouncer and Braver, the 60 extra DEX you get from them lets you more easily equip the Sigma Bastad launcher for easier VHAQ farming on other classes and other DEX related equipment (Circuray right now for example).

Down the line, Phantom cares about maximum PP, so getting 10 PP in total across the classes helps with that too.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

If I have a pure MEL mag and was thinking about buying a second, is there a mag type that's broadly useful for the most classes? DEX?

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Not really, mostly it would just matter what other classes you want to play.

DEX mags: Braver and Bouncer. Phantom in ~December. Dex is not a useful stat for any other class.
TEC mags: Force, Techer, and Bouncer (Jet Boots only build)
Ranged mags: Ranger and Gunner
Summoner uses Melee mags.

GaylordButts fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 26, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fawf posted:

If I have a pure MEL mag and was thinking about buying a second, is there a mag type that's broadly useful for the most classes? DEX?

Getting 3 more mags is $9, which is a pittance. Alternatively you can just have a different character for all your melee classes and junk.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Broadly useful would be dex for leveling in vhaqs but otherwise it's not as good since for now only bouncer and braver use dex mags. Heroes will use any atk mag and phantom likes dex mag but those are months off probably.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Thanks, forgot I had 500 AC laying around from the dumb Sonic pack and splurged on the extra bit I needed to just grab 3 more mags

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

GaylordButts posted:

You can, but honestly skipping 4 points is skipping out on like ~2-3% of a damage increase. If you don't want to grind out another 10 'levels' of Hunter you should still be fine to clear anything in the game.

Hunter is what I've enjoyed the most so I don't mind, I just wanted to make sure I understood things correctly because the build guides just assume you know about all the CO skill points.

I definitely appreciate everyone's advice on when to switch though; I will probably look at grinding out some Fighter levels next, if only for a change of pace.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

GaylordButts posted:

TEC mags: Techer

I was under the impression that Techers wanted a melee mag, is this not the case? Or is it a by-build thing?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ryanbomber posted:

I was under the impression that Techers wanted a melee mag, is this not the case? Or is it a by-build thing?

Techter gets a thing that makes your TEC score add to your melee IIRC.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Techters are a build by build thing. The ability that converts Tec to Melee only does so for the base power of the Wand you have equipped.

Tec/Hu wants Melee because they're just going to be smacking things with their wand and only casting support spells. Hunter's Fury Stance does not affect tech damage at all. Tec/Fi on the other hand has Valiant/Wise stance which does affect tech skills.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hyper Inferno posted:

The most useful class bonuses are probably Bouncer and Braver, the 60 extra DEX you get from them lets you more easily equip the Sigma Bastad launcher for easier VHAQ farming on other classes and other DEX related equipment (Circuray right now for example).

Down the line, Phantom cares about maximum PP, so getting 10 PP in total across the classes helps with that too.

How does this work? Does Ranger subclass let you equip launchers, so you just one of those instead of your main weapon for clearing during bursts?

I've got Fi at 75 and Hu 74, I'm leaning towards leveling Gunner next (55) so what would be "optimal" to stick on my subclass for XP leach with the goal of making leveling other future classes more optimal? Ranger or Bouncer/Braver?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
All Sigma weapons can be equipped by any class.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Sigma weapons are all/all so the sigma launcher is used for simplified VHAQ grinding. It does have a DEX requirement so if you don't have a dex mag it's a pretty late equip. There's also Farewell Inferno v2 which dropped from last month's monthly UQ. It's also all classes with a slightly lower DEX requirement but it's 13* which makes it a more annoying grind. It's also a lot more expensive compared to sigma weapons which magatsu had dropping like candy.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Oxyclean posted:

I've got Fi at 75 and Hu 74, I'm leaning towards leveling Gunner next (55) so what would be "optimal" to stick on my subclass for XP leach with the goal of making leveling other future classes more optimal? Ranger or Bouncer/Braver?

If you want to chain things, I would do Gunner->Bouncer->Braver->Ranger. The Bouncer and Braver sub parts won't be great, but Braver->Ranger is a real combo at least for Bow Braver.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
When you press Q while highlighting an item, the second/middle tab will show you which classes can equip it. In the case of weapons, icons for classes are shown or it will say All (or something similar) for all classes.

When I went ra/gu for a bit then changed to gu/hu, the hunter subclass didn't have enough dex to equip the all class weapons. I had to feed my mag some dex items for 9 levels and eventually traded ex-cubes for MAG level down devices once my sub was at 75 to get pts back into R-ATK.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Oxyclean posted:

How does this work? Does Ranger subclass let you equip launchers, so you just one of those instead of your main weapon for clearing during bursts?

There are various weapons that can be equipped without being the intended weapons class, but you still have to at least sub the intended class to use PAs.
Sigma weapons are special because they give you access to one of the weapon's PAs without even having to sub their intended class.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

GaylordButts posted:

Summoner uses Melee mags.
Summoner is going to use tech mags in episode 5 once we get rykros, so if you're not willing to spend $3 for another mag by then you'll want to do tech mag if you want to play summoner. You'll only be out a couple percent damage in the meantime.

This also applies if you aren't willing to spend $5 getting a second skill tree for fighter if you want to play it as a main class instead of getting all the melee up skills to make your summoner better.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
God, demolishing XH Magatsu was so satisfying after all those 2/3 attempts on SH.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I just learned that the photon booster shop weapon camos look completely different depending on what weapon you actually attach them to. Is there a way to preview the non-default variants of those or do you just have to trawl the JP wiki for them?

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Here is a handy thread from the game's website.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Yeah most of those camos are based off a bunch of old themed weapons that could be upgraded with rocks from advance quests. When they axed the rocks (it was a bank space nightmare) they turned the upgraded forms into camos which unfortunately only preview as the first weapon type in the list they apply to, so swords for the most part.

Thankfully they're cheap enough you can just buy them all and try them without much risk.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
They're so cheap I'd recommend just buying them all and trying them out. That forum thread doesn't show you the special effects, like the "leaf in autumn breeze" launcher explosions are fireworks, and all of them have an animated leafy aura when you use the weapon!

Hit me up on discord @ Diephoon#3230 if you're on ship 2 and I can show you whichever camo/weapon combo you want.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Diephoon posted:

They're so cheap I'd recommend just buying them all and trying them out. That forum thread doesn't show you the special effects, like the "leaf in autumn breeze" launcher explosions are fireworks, and all of them have an animated leafy aura when you use the weapon!

Hit me up on discord @ Diephoon#3230 if you're on ship 2 and I can show you whichever camo/weapon combo you want.

I’ll have to decline, since I’m on Ship 1 (with friends from other communities). I’m just not sure what else photon boosters are actually good for.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Some potentials use them to upgrade instead of spheres.

They can also be exchanged for another booster later.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
They're easy 12* weapons if you need to do some weapon grinding too. I bought a bunch to crank out some weapon grinds for alts I was putting off. Bit more pricy than doing 10s and then feeding them to the 12 but 10s are excubes and I'm not hurting for lambda grinders right now.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Heads up ya'll, we're experiencing an emergency code judgement as the leaders of Team Blue (the main Alliance Nol Vacancy) and Team Red (the overflow Vacant Nol), and myself (Red team officer whose doing the heavy lifting) are culling out players who appear to be 'inactive'. So if you're logging on and wondering why you're no longer in an alliance, then you failed to filled out the monthly activity survey that was posted on the discord weeks back. (It was pinned and brought up numerous times so you've got no excuse).

That's not to say you can't come back, you just gotta let us know. (And maybe be more 'on-the-ball next time the monthly survey comes around.)

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Combat Lobster posted:

Heads up ya'll, we're experiencing an emergency code judgement as the leaders of Team Blue (the main Alliance Nol Vacancy) and Team Red (the overflow Vacant Nol), and myself (Red team officer whose doing the heavy lifting) are culling out players who appear to be 'inactive'. So if you're logging on and wondering why you're no longer in an alliance, then you failed to filled out the monthly activity survey that was posted on the discord weeks back. (It was pinned and brought up numerous times so you've got no excuse).

That's not to say you can't come back, you just gotta let us know. (And maybe be more 'on-the-ball next time the monthly survey comes around.)

Does it not show inactivity in the members list? I can only assume I've been kicked because this is the first mention of any survey I have seen despite capping AP this past week and grouping up with people for UQs. Haven't been on Discord but have been fairly active in this thread.

E: still there. Phew. Filling out the thing. I never check Discord unless a notification comes up so if pso2na was tagged, I must have notifications muted.

I see the team message has been changed too but I just noticed it today. Oops. Thanks for the post otherwise I would have been confused.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 30, 2020

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
So I guess now would be a good time to keep an eye on the discord if we wanted an invite to one of the alliances?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Bloodplay it again posted:

Does it not show inactivity in the members list? I can only assume I've been kicked because this is the first mention of any survey I have seen despite capping AP this past week and grouping up with people for UQs. Haven't been on Discord but have been fairly active in this thread.

E: still there. Phew.

I did what I could to mention it in-game as much as I could, because I can't edit the MOTD. (Unless you're on Team Blue, in which case, that's their problem.)

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Combat Lobster posted:

I did what I could to mention it in-game as much as I could, because I can't edit the MOTD. (Unless you're on Team Blue, in which case, that's their problem.)

I am sure it has been spammed in chat but I have been playing weird hours (1-5 AM). Nol Vacancy does have the message changed. Sorry for filling it out so late OJ.

My premium just ran out and it is taking willpower to not renew before the next mission pass begins. It is way easier to keep track of when they are on the same timers but I goofed and redeemed one of my premium passes half-way through a mission pass a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bloodplay it again posted:

E: still there. Phew. Filling out the thing. I never check Discord unless a notification comes up so if pso2na was tagged, I must have notifications muted.

I see the team message has been changed too but I just noticed it today. Oops. Thanks for the post otherwise I would have been confused.

The activity thing in the alliance info is all messed up, and takes a long time to report login info, if it ever does. Some people on the official forums are reporting that people who haven't logged in since Xbox Beta 1 are still showing as not inactive in their alliance sheets. Hence me deciding to put up an alliance form to get an idea of general activity. It isn't perfect, and I know that, but it's the only thing we can do in order to potentially free up space for active people who want in.

If you are erroneously purged and were active, just pipe up in the Discord and we will get you taken care of.