Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froshty
Dec 8, 2015
Any recommendations on 1440p 144ghz? Budget between $200-400.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at these two: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/lg-27gl850-vs-lg-27gl83a-b/912/1627

The contrast is super disappointing though. But there doesn't seem to be anything this good at 144hz, IPS, 2560 x 1440, etc. with better contrast for under $400, so I might just go for the 850. The sRGB coverage looks amazing.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Froshty posted:

Any recommendations on 1440p 144ghz? Budget between $200-400.
This is in stock.
https://www.amazon.com/LG-27GL83A-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07YGZL8XF

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Decided to bite the bullet and go for the 27GL83A, it'll get here Thursday. I hope it'll be worth it considering that's the most I've ever spent on a monitor.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

I currently have a Dell U2412M that I've used for 8 years now, how does the panel/color compare between this LG and my current monitor?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sailor Dave posted:

Decided to bite the bullet and go for the 27GL83A, it'll get here Thursday. I hope it'll be worth it considering that's the most I've ever spent on a monitor.

im using it rn and lemme tell u

its a gamechanger for me

Froshty
Dec 8, 2015

Bought it, thanks for the quick help

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

pik_d posted:

I currently have a Dell U2412M that I've used for 8 years now, how does the panel/color compare between this LG and my current monitor?

Going from 1200p@59-60Hz to 1440p@144Hz will be a noticeable upgrade. Just usage-wise, the extra vertical real estate is nice, and it's why I kept my own 2412M for so long.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the real downside to moving to a 27in 1440p/144hz/VRR monitor is after a month or two, looking at other monitors will give you The Sads

it didn't happen right away for me, but now lookin at my work laptop monitor (a generic 15in Dell 1080p 60hz TN) just looks... so goddamn bad and choppy. ruined.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

I'm looking for thoughts on a monitor upgrade. My current setup is 3 displays: 23" Dell P2319H (which is a work loaner), 27" Dell U2711, Dell U2412M. System is an i5-7600k + GTX 1060 GB, which I'll probably upgrade for CP2077 when it's released. Use case is gaming and (during lockdown) working from home.

I know the thread recommendation is for the 27" LG 27GL83A-B. Any reason I shouldn't upsize to something like the Dell S3220DGF? I like the idea of getting more screen real estate, but what are the downsides?

I_Socom fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jun 24, 2020

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

does anyone have a rec for a monitor that focuses on colour quality? my coworker is looking for a new monitor since the colour on his screen doesnt match the colour we see on the phone and its driving him nuts. preferably under 1500$

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Going from 1200p@59-60Hz to 1440p@144Hz will be a noticeable upgrade. Just usage-wise, the extra vertical real estate is nice, and it's why I kept my own 2412M for so long.

I'm more asking about the color quality. I'm looking to upgrade specifically for the resolution/refresh rate, but I want to know if I'm giving up anything.

Obviously it won't be like stepping down to a TN panel, but will there be a noticable difference?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

1440 144 is good go buy one

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

does anyone have a rec for a monitor that focuses on colour quality? my coworker is looking for a new monitor since the colour on his screen doesnt match the colour we see on the phone and its driving him nuts. preferably under 1500$

Errrr well you're going to have to be more specific. First of all, why are you using a phone as the arbiter of color accuracy?

There's kind of two parts to this: first, there's the ability of a monitor to display a given color space. Second, there's calibration, which is a process where you use external tools to make your monitor color-accurate. These are two separate things and if you want accurate colors you'll really need to do both.

That being said I have a feeling you just want your computer monitor to "pop" like your OLED phone? If so, you can buy him a 48 inch LG CX OLED and use it as a computer monitor. That has its downsides, mainly that he would have to space the monitor farther from his viewing angle to account for the size, but it's possible. Burn in is mostly a thing of the past, so I'm pretty ready to recommend the CX for desktop use, but he would have to know what he's getting into broadly.

Or, since you have a professional-level budget, you could go with the 34WK95U-W. It's a quantum dot widescreen monitor that's more traditional compared to using an OLED (I have one and it's glorious). https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34WK95U-W-ultrawide-monitor

Anyways I get the strong feeling you don't have a firm grasp on what you really want or need, so more information is necessary if you want us to help you.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

pik_d posted:

I'm more asking about the color quality. I'm looking to upgrade specifically for the resolution/refresh rate, but I want to know if I'm giving up anything.

Obviously it won't be like stepping down to a TN panel, but will there be a noticable difference?

The color is actually very good on LG panels. What is not good is the contrast, specifically the black levels. Black doesn't look black on any LCD, but LG gaming IPS panels have fairly poor black levels for a modern IPS. Relative to a U2412M, I would say the LG panels are generally relatively similar to a bit worse on contrast. If how a very dark screen looks in a dark room is a major concern to you, then you probably want one of the other options where you trade off a bit of performance for some contrast. Unfortunately availability is not great right now, but they do exist.

I_Socom posted:

I'm looking for thoughts on a monitor upgrade. My current setup is 3 displays: 23" Dell P2319H (which is a work loaner), 27" Dell U2711, Dell U2412M. System is an i5-7600k + GTX 1060 GB, which I'll probably upgrade for CP2077 when it's released. Use case is gaming and (during lockdown) working from home.

I know the thread recommendation is for the 27" LG 27GL83A-B. Any reason I shouldn't upsize to something like the Dell S3220DGF? I like the idea of getting more screen real estate, but what are the downsides?

The worst response times on the LG are ~12ms, which is slow when 144hz frames are coming more like every 7ms, but that's LCDs for you. The average transition time is just about fast enough to keep up. The S3320DGF's worst response times are north of 30ms, and they cover a much broader range of pixel transitions where it's more likely to be noticeable to you. You do get MUCH better blacks out of a VA panel, but you're giving up so much on pixel response times that I don't really see the point of paying so much for a "gaming" monitor at that point. Also, having a bigger monitor isn't necessarily a good thing. At the same resolution you're just making pixels bigger, and what are you really getting out of that? If your monitors are a bit far from you 32" might be a decent size, but for most people a 27" at 2-3 feet is already significantly bigger than your central vision.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Most phones have deliberately ridiculous color calibration in order to make things "pop" more. In addition, many have OLED displays, which are capable of displaying a wider and deeper color space than LCDs. Many phones stretch the "normal" color space across what the OLED is capable of displaying to make things look better when compared to an LCD phone side by side, even if the color winds up way off from reality. If you're doing design for phones there are probably calibrations that can help you out, but having a better understanding of what is going on with calibration and color space is an important first step.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 24, 2020

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Taima posted:

Errrr well you're going to have to be more specific. First of all, why are you using a phone as the arbiter of color accuracy?

There's kind of two parts to this: first, there's the ability of a monitor to display a given color space. Second, there's calibration, which is a process where you use external tools to make your monitor color-accurate. These are two separate things and if you want accurate colors you'll really need to do both.

That being said I have a feeling you just want your computer monitor to "pop" like your OLED phone? If so, you can buy him a 48 inch LG CX OLED and use it as a computer monitor. That has its downsides, mainly that he would have to space the monitor farther from his viewing angle to account for the size, but it's possible. Burn in is mostly a thing of the past, so I'm pretty ready to recommend the CX for desktop use, but he would have to know what he's getting into broadly.

Or, since you have a professional-level budget, you could go with the 34WK95U-W. It's a quantum dot widescreen monitor that's more traditional compared to using an OLED (I have one and it's glorious). https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34WK95U-W-ultrawide-monitor

Anyways I get the strong feeling you don't have a firm grasp on what you really want or need, so more information is necessary if you want us to help you.

we're mobile devs, so something that would be close to an OLED phone would be great.

that looks pretty solid so ill send it to him, thanks!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

we're mobile devs, so something that would be close to an OLED phone would be great.

that looks pretty solid so ill send it to him, thanks!

Cool, yeah using the 48 inch LG CX would be amazing for your purposes and within your budget! Good luck!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Received the LG monitor early and it's pretty great so far. Was a little worried that when I plugged in my 2015 Macbook Pro with a thunderbolt to HDMI cord it didn't give me the correct resolution options, but using an HDMI to HDMI seems to work fine.

It might be too big for my set up lol. I'm going to try it out for a week and see, but I think the main problem is that I'm sitting very close to it when I should probably be sitting at least an extra 6-12 inches away from the screen. The color is nice and it's much brighter and crisper than my old Asus monitor.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The Aorus FI27Q or BenQ EX2780Q look like the LG monitors but with better contrast/black display. As a web designer, is there a compelling reason to go with these over the LG?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Regarding the whole DP vs HDMI length discussion, you can also get DP boosters/repeaters fwiw: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-102039-DisplayPort-Repeater/dp/B07D949F59

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

The Aorus FI27Q or BenQ EX2780Q look like the LG monitors but with better contrast/black display. As a web designer, is there a compelling reason to go with these over the LG?

They're both Innolux based monitors and AFAIK perfectly reasonable options for trading off a bit of performance for contrast. The only downside is the price. 6+ months ago, Innolux based monitors could be had for $350 all day long, but prices have gone up more on most AUO and Innolux monitors than LG, probably because there are more companies competing for the now-limited supply of their panels.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

They're both Innolux based monitors and AFAIK perfectly reasonable options for trading off a bit of performance for contrast. The only downside is the price. 6+ months ago, Innolux based monitors could be had for $350 all day long, but prices have gone up more on most AUO and Innolux monitors than LG, probably because there are more companies competing for the now-limited supply of their panels.

I'm not in a rush, my current monitor is doing okay. I'm just researching for a possible upgrade in the next few months. If I do find one of those for $350, I'll probably snap it up.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

What’s the thinking on 4K monitors for general usage and gaming these days? I have my eye on LG’s upcoming 27” 144Hz/4K model and know I’d need a beast of a PC to come close to pushing those frames, but Google is full of complaints about poor scaling.

(Current monitor is an AUO IPS/1440p/144Hz panel so going 4K would be the main upgrade. I’d wait for an OLED monitor if there was any chance of getting a 27-32” model but it seems there isn’t.)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Stick with 1440p/144.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Seconding that, I upgraded from 1440p/60 to 4k/120 and the resolution change alone is certainly not worth the money.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What do people think of the AW3420DW ? 120 is probably as good as 144 for my purposes, and IIRC Dell’s panels are generally high quality.

Would the big Amazon Basics stand hold it?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Subjunctive posted:

What do people think of the AW3420DW ? 120 is probably as good as 144 for my purposes, and IIRC Dell’s panels are generally high quality.

Would the big Amazon Basics stand hold it?

it's a very nice monitor other than not being 144 hz (which native gsync cannot do without the expensive gsync ultimate module)

I believe it also does adaptive sync input

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Dogen posted:

Stick with 1440p/144.

For now.

However fairly soon, DLSS 2.0 and Ampere makes the entire stack make way more sense.

Blorange posted:

Seconding that, I upgraded from 1440p/60 to 4k/120 and the resolution change alone is certainly not worth the money.

You're probably not doing it right, honestly. 4K is only worth it if you are sitting close enough, to a big enough display, that it makes a huge difference.

For example, I game on a 65 inch VRR TV at 4K. It's worth every penny to me, because I am sitting 6 feet from a 65 inch screen.

For regularly sized monitors, you are completely right though, it's not worth it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paul MaudDib posted:

it's a very nice monitor other than not being 144 hz (which native gsync cannot do without the expensive gsync ultimate module)

I believe it also does adaptive sync input

Well you just cost me a bit more than a grand, jerk.

E: wait, I thought my ROG SWIFT and Predator monitors from a few years ago did 144Hz with gsync. Have I been living a lie?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 25, 2020

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
What’s a good monitor with 3+ inputs. Looking for IPS, higher refresh rate, 34 inches or thereabouts widescreen.

$1100 is the limit of what I want to spend reasonably.

For context I have one of those 43 inch 4K monsters with tons of inputs, but am looking to downsize go for higher refresh.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Subjunctive posted:

Well you just cost me a bit more than a grand, jerk.

E: wait, I thought my ROG SWIFT and Predator monitors from a few years ago did 144Hz with gsync. Have I been living a lie?

there are 16:9 monitors that go up to 144 hz native and overclock to 165 Hz. At 21:9 they all top out at 120 Hz though.

(at 1440p, obviously there are some 1080p monitors that go even faster)

(16/21) x 165 Hz = 125 Hz, and the nearest multiple less than that is 120 Hz. That's as much bandwidth as that module seems to support.

Also, I am really a fanboy of Dell monitors in particular. Their QA is head and shoulders above the rest, with some kind of pricing equity they are a much better monitor than Acer or Asus imo. Their PCs may be boring/mediocre but they do an amazing job on the monitor lineup.

I really just wish they were a little more aggressive in releasing some new models, I'd love to see a Gsync compatible 16:9 1440p IPS and a Gsync Compatible 144 Hz 21:9 and maybe even a 38GL950G competitor from them too.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 26, 2020

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Is there a big reason besides the resolution to go for the 27GL83A-B over the 27GL63T-B? Shopping for my first monitor and I can get the latter from Costco at half the price of the former and I'm hoping for a final push one way or the other.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I’ve got an 34” AW3418DW and Korean special 60hZ 1440p monitor from 2013 and I’ve been doing some IT help desk stuff from home. I’ve got a 9700k and 2080Ti Ultra Xc(forget the letters?) so power isn’t a problem.

I’m torn between getting a third monitor that’s 4K, getting another AW3418DW and stacking it on top of the other one or saying gently caress it and getting some fuckoff big 40-something” monster and using the 34” and 27” in portrait on the sides. I can vary how close I sit to my desk as well.

Assuming that I’m willing to spend $2,000 at the most, which path would you go?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

My monitor died a couple of days ago so after perusing the thread at length I got am LG Ultragear 27GL83A-B and I just wanted to say holy poo poo there's a lot of screen real estate and a lot of colors exist I wasn't aware of

thanks goons

thoons

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Is there a big reason besides the resolution to go for the 27GL83A-B over the 27GL63T-B? Shopping for my first monitor and I can get the latter from Costco at half the price of the former and I'm hoping for a final push one way or the other.

If you got a video card that can push 1440p easily, might as well get 27GL83A-B. Otherwise the other is fine. They look to be very similar in specs. 1080p gonna be more noticeable with the pixels however at 27 inches.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 26, 2020

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Ms Adequate posted:

My monitor died a couple of days ago so after perusing the thread at length I got am LG Ultragear 27GL83A-B and I just wanted to say holy poo poo there's a lot of screen real estate and a lot of colors exist I wasn't aware of

thanks goons

thoons

I just ordered one myself and I'm ready to suddenly realize how much I've been missing out on. I've been using the same ASUS 60Hz 1080p monitor for almost ten years now, even after I built my new computer a couple months ago. It's a solid monitor, no dead pixels a decade on, after all, so it'll be a good second monitor. But even if the LG is considered a "budget" gaming monitor it's going to blow me away I'm sure.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

tehinternet posted:

I’ve got an 34” AW3418DW and Korean special 60hZ 1440p monitor from 2013 and I’ve been doing some IT help desk stuff from home. I’ve got a 9700k and 2080Ti Ultra Xc(forget the letters?) so power isn’t a problem.

I’m torn between getting a third monitor that’s 4K, getting another AW3418DW and stacking it on top of the other one or saying gently caress it and getting some fuckoff big 40-something” monster and using the 34” and 27” in portrait on the sides. I can vary how close I sit to my desk as well.

You can look at the 38GL950G, which is 4k wide but not tall, generally performs well, and is the current king of LCDs. But if you have a big budget and don't mind having to buy a next-gen GPU to fully utilize it, maybe consider a 48" LG CX. 4k 120hz (although you can't really do 4k 120 over HDMI 2.0, thus the need for a next-gen GPU), and both the pluses (great color, real HDR, great response times) and downsides (burnout) of OLED.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

tehinternet posted:

The Samsung Odyssey G9 is coming out in a week and looks really good on paper for $1699. 49" ultrawide, 240Hz, G-Sync, HDR1000 and PBP so you can run multiple inputs on it at the same time.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

K8.0 posted:

You can look at the 38GL950G, which is 4k wide but not tall, generally performs well, and is the current king of LCDs. But if you have a big budget and don't mind having to buy a next-gen GPU to fully utilize it, maybe consider a 48" LG CX. 4k 120hz (although you can't really do 4k 120 over HDMI 2.0, thus the need for a next-gen GPU), and both the pluses (great color, real HDR, great response times) and downsides (burnout) of OLED.

I’m surprised to see you recommend a TV. I always thought TVs as monitors were a hard no? I know the gap between the two has been shrinking but I seem to remember something with the color gamut being different?

ihatepants posted:

The Samsung Odyssey G9 is coming out in a week and looks really good on paper for $1699. 49" ultrawide, 240Hz, G-Sync, HDR1000 and PBP so you can run multiple inputs on it at the same time.

This looks amazing but isn’t super ultrawide (32:9) not supported a whole lot with lots of applications/games? And $1600 for a VA panel is asking a whole lot, not to be too critical. If I’m paying more than $400 I think IPS is non-negotiable. I didn’t specify that though, so that’s on me.

I appreciate the input from both of you — definitely gives me a good point to start off from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tehinternet posted:

I’m surprised to see you recommend a TV. I always thought TVs as monitors were a hard no? I know the gap between the two has been shrinking but I seem to remember something with the color gamut being different?

The LG series are sort of a special case for this, versus a generic off-the-shelf-at-Best-Buy TV, AIUI.