Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SardonicTyrant posted:

Listening to Jesse's big sermon in S1:

"Folk afraid to hug each other on account of some new disease"

:stare: well that was prophetic.

I just started watching Preacher (thanks thread) and I did a near-literal spit take at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There are a lot of things like that in Preacher, especially in season 4

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

precision posted:

Yeah I love Ruth Negga but her default American accent is reeeeeally over the top "well hoot an holler giddyup cheeseburger assault rifle yeehaw!"

She sounded different in SHIELD. I reckon she picked it because she felt it fit the character and the tone the show was going for.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/TheBoysTV/status/1275934957622288384

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/therealKripke/status/1275853209974845441

I'm kinda worried about this premier date thing, they aren't going to weekly eps? :ohdear:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Amazon is not stupid enough to do that, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we get the season in two chunks do to production delays

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

cringing my skull through my face at that tweet

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Dammit I hate Patton Oswalt. I know he's a good dude and all but there's just something about him that bugs the gently caress outta me.

If there forums are still here Friday, someone just let me know the premiere date please.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
They were putting the final touches to it a month ago, I expect it is finished now, so however long they feel they need to market it for. Next month probably.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Dammit I hate Patton Oswalt. I know he's a good dude and all but there's just something about him that bugs the gently caress outta me.

Probably the fact that he murdered his wife

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Bust Rodd posted:

Probably the fact that he murdered his wife

what

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I don't hate him, but it kind of feels like Kevin Smith where he's never actually been funny but because he's a self-professed nerd everybody pretends he's that he's wonderful

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

brocked posted:

I don't hate him, but it kind of feels like Kevin Smith where he's never actually been funny but because he's a self-professed nerd everybody pretends he's that he's wonderful

Smith is a good comparison because it definitely feels like they're the two people who get hauled out to give the "nerd seal of approval" to things.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chairman Capone posted:

Smith is a good comparison because it definitely feels like they're the two people who get hauled out to give the "nerd seal of approval" to things.

Sounds like a pretty sweet gig to me. If I was burdened with inexplicable nerd cred and no other skills, I'd certainly parlay it to shill garbage in exchange for money, why not (see also: twitch streamers)

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

She died in her sleep due to mixing narcotics, stimulants, and tranquilizers. She also apparently had an underlying heart condition that exacerbated it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2017/02/04/patton-oswalt-heart-condition-meds-killed-wife-michelle-mcnamara/97486318/
https://apnews.com/cb50f829c93348e2adf9c2b71cc112d3/ap-exclusive-oswalt-says-heart-condition-meds-killed-wife

He was remarried almost exactly a year after her death.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Patton Oswalt is so unbelievably successful for just being a stubby nerd that he singlehandedly reinforces the idea that meritocracy is real and if you just put in the work you can do anything.

But Patrice O’Neal also famously called Oswalt out on copying a much younger Marc Maron’s act and repackaging the neuroses to seem sillier and I’ve never been able to shake that.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Patton Oswalt is so unbelievably successful for just being a stubby nerd that he singlehandedly reinforces the idea that meritocracy is real and if you just put in the work you can do anything.

But Patrice O’Neal also famously called Oswalt out on copying a much younger Marc Maron’s act and repackaging the neuroses to seem sillier and I’ve never been able to shake that.

:rip: Patrice :smith:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Bust Rodd posted:

Have you seen Justified? The man is deceptively dangerous.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Wait.... did he kill Patrice too?!?

I predict the premier will be on Friday. They'll just be all "and season 2 starts... today" like Netflix did with that awful Cloverfield Paradox film.

I'm probably wrong, but that's my prediction anyway.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Wait.... did he kill Patrice too?!?

I predict the premier will be on Friday. They'll just be all "and season 2 starts... today" like Netflix did with that awful Cloverfield Paradox film.

I'm probably wrong, but that's my prediction anyway.

I don’t think they will release it with minimal hype. It’s amazon’s biggest show, and probably the closest thing to a GoT successor in this post-monoculture world.

The show is probably ready to go, but with COVID shutting down productions for almost 3 months, there seems to be added incentive to release in a few weeks and both build hype for season 2, and bridge the gap to new content. Without COVID, I think it would have come out around this point, since the stories earlier in the year pointed to an early summer release.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Apparently Patton Oswalt is going to play Tek Knight. I haven't read the comic so I don't know if that is a good casting decision. He now drives a hybrid. Knight Rider parody?

So I guess Homelander got his roots done.

https://twitter.com/TheBoysTV/status/1276547059126951936

Collateral fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 26, 2020

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Premier is September 4th.

First 3 episodes drop on the 4th, then one episode per week.

So 10 weeks from now.

I am fairly bummed by that wait, but I guess I should be happy we are getting it in 2020 considering how much of poo poo sandwich this year has been.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Collateral posted:

Premier is September 4th.

First 3 episodes drop on the 4th, then one episode per week.

So 10 weeks from now.

I am fairly bummed by that wait, but I guess I should be happy we are getting it in 2020 considering how much of poo poo sandwich this year has been.

I wonder what the TV inventory will be around then.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Heres the tweet,

https://twitter.com/colliderfrosty/status/1276588202980065281

Frankly I don't care and am just glad they finished s2 and are able to release it this year. 2020 comeback begins here

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
This is the full round table, and they show the first 3 minutes of episode one at 47:30 (its.. something)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ga1vh4LnVI

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Are you loving kidding me with this release schedule.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Supreme Allah posted:

This is the full round table, and they show the first 3 minutes of episode one at 47:30 (its.. something)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ga1vh4LnVI

I can't wait. Also I need to know more about Black Noir

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Bust Rodd posted:

Patrice was hilarious but he wasn't infallible, and he had plenty of lovely and bad opinions of his own (especially concerning women). You're free to think he was funny and disagree with him. Calling Oswalt a Maron ripoff is pretty laughable, as if Maron had a copyright on being off-kilter. Their delivery, subject matter, and style are completely different.

You can find Oswalt funny or not (I have before but he seems to be getting a lot less so with age, a pretty common hazard for stand-ups), but the "just gets work because he's a stubby nerd" is pretty definitively wrong. He gets a lot of work for pretty easily explainable reasons- he doesn't refuse many gigs (bad or not), he's generally pleasant to people he deals with, and there's the self-reinforcing part of he's famous for stuff he's been in so he gets more offers.

I will agree that like Kevin Smith (who I despise), he's got his nerd territory staked out and the whole HE GETS US part means he has to clear a much lower bar for his audience to love him.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Seems not :(

At least we are getting it, look on the bright side. We also get to masticate episodes and speculate for 5 weeks. :cripes:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQMrAN5Xwes

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Honestly, I'm pretty tired of series dropping in their entirety. Having a weekly release schedule builds anticipation and gets people talking about a show. Full releases are big for a weekend then they're forgotten. I can see how folks would rather have it all available and watch at their own pace, but I just think gradual release is a better experience overall. It keeps the whole fanbase on the same page, more or less.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

CainsDescendant posted:

Honestly, I'm pretty tired of series dropping in their entirety. Having a weekly release schedule builds anticipation and gets people talking about a show. Full releases are big for a weekend then they're forgotten. I can see how folks would rather have it all available and watch at their own pace, but I just think gradual release is a better experience overall. It keeps the whole fanbase on the same page, more or less.

Compare The Witcher fanbase (no one has thought about the witcher since Christmas) to the Mandalorian fan base (basically still rabid for the show because they released the series episodically, then released an episodic "Making of" series that was literally just as long).

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

So far so good with the new character

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I definitely have enjoyed Watchmen more due to its release schedule. If a series has good plot consistency, it's nice to speculate in between episodes, especially if they give you breadcrumbs that leads to the real reveals and not just Lost style bs. The SA thread for Watchmen was able to get some pretty big plot twists before they were due thanks to these bread crumbs, and the experience was augmented and not diminished by it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Collateral posted:

Apparently Patton Oswalt is going to play Tek Knight. I haven't read the comic so I don't know if that is a good casting decision. He now drives a hybrid. Knight Rider parody?

So I guess Homelander got his roots done.

https://twitter.com/TheBoysTV/status/1276547059126951936

Oh my god the moment Homelander switches to the Official Smile once she mentions who put her in the Seven :allears:

CLAP HANDS

THUMBS UP

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Ahaha of course in the modern version of the boys Stormfront is an alt-right Twitter influencer :D

E: also holy poo poo, the first 3 minutes of Season 2 sure are something :yeshaha:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 27, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

Oh my god the moment Homelander switches to the Official Smile once she mentions who put her in the Seven :allears:

CLAP HANDS

THUMBS UP

I'm sure someone is getting their skull roasted after that....

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CainsDescendant posted:

Will never understand these bizarre defenses of how shows used to be done. I don't care about the discussion poo poo I wanna watch the show. Most shows are improved by being able to binge them. It made sense when a show had each episode as its own (mostly) self-contained story. That isn't how most shows are made now.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 27, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I hate feeling like I have to pull an all-nighter to keep up with everyone else the minute a show drops (usually at midnight). A staggered release puts everyone on the same page and lets the individual episodes settle in your mind, regardless of the series structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

McSpanky posted:

I hate feeling like I have to pull an all-nighter to keep up with everyone else the minute a show drops (usually at midnight). A staggered release puts everyone on the same page and lets the individual episodes settle in your mind, regardless of the series structure.

You don't, though. Only insane people would expect you to be done with a show within the first month of release. If they can't keep their loving yap shut, they're not a friend.