Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've heard Kim Deal say a lot of poo poo about Black Francis but him being misogynist is new. I think he's just a general, all purpose rear end in a top hat, like J Mascis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
"Ed Sheeran sounds like Bright Eyes" is an observation I would never expect to evaluate. I'm pretty familiar with Bright Eyes, and I can maybe identify Ed Sheeran based on a couple of songs I know from the radio...but I just don't see it. Bright Eyes is like emo mixed with John Prine, and Ed Sheeran just sounds like your everyday sweaty R&B mixed with folk-I-guess. That's just my own observation though. I'm willing to hear examples supporting the idea that there is a connection to be made between the two.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Because when I was in college, Bright Eyes’ fanbase was mopey girls and scene boys trying to get laid.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Ed Sheeran sounds like a random busker who won the lottery.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Molestationary Store posted:

Well if the year 1981 is included then the answer is Siouxsie and the Banshees since Juju came out in June '81 and that's the best album ever. :colbert:

:agreed:

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 14, 2020

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
I'd say Nirvana or Radiohead as far as impact and influence

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Reasons why Clutch have to make the shortlist:

-One of the best live bands in the world for almost 30 years
-Same members since 1991
-Tons of classic songs and albums
-Left the major labels to start their own. Released all their own albums since 2008
-Influenced and supported countless other artists
-Universally respected by their peers

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Juaguocio posted:

-Same members since 1991
-Left the major labels to start their own. Released all their own albums since 2008

- Has a song about Riddley Walker

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
In 2006 when I was 15 I went to a Coheed and Cambria/Fall of Troy/Clutch show and the Clutch fans were all miserable-looking bald guys in their thirties who left before the other two bands played so it makes sense that dudes on SA like them.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Juaguocio posted:

-Same members since 1991

there's like 50 bands all of this applies to. you're basically just saying 'has some level of integrity'.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
clutch was alright back when they were a glorified integrity cover band but they've been putting out the same boring album over and over for the past couple decades

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Deftones aren’t mailing it in

Pavement?
Interpol?

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

Juaguocio posted:

-Same members since 1991

Whenever I think of Clutch, I just picture the guy from Ace of Cakes wearing their shirts and cut-off black denim shirts and a thick carabiner full of keys hanging off his belt

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Death grips

Wattsamatta
Feb 24, 2008

Alice in Chains: Dirt is the perfect album top to bottom :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Keith Atherton posted:

Deftones aren’t mailing it in

Pavement?
Interpol?

Pavement's last couple albums were lazy as gently caress and while they're fine, they really only had two great records (CRCR and Wowee Zowee)

You could maybe make an argument for Beck. He captures the junky, random mess of crap that America consists of pretty well

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it's metallica

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

The answer is Phish

Yeah its this

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

well why not posted:

it's metallica

If they had broken up in 1988, sure

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ween

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

:hmmyes:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Pet Shop Boys formed in 1981 and they rock sooo

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIIxlgcuQRU

I feel safe.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
I know The Offspring isn't really a rock band, but that's my answer. Most of the rock/metal I enjoy is from bands founded in 1981 (checking Wikipedia, a drat fine complement of bands were founded in that exact year) and earlier. I listen to a decent amount of extreme metal (grindcore, brutal death metal, slam), but it isn't my bread-and-butter. And I couldn't care less about the 90's grunge scene.

Skatepunk/pop punk is just comfortable, filled with catchy melodies and just the right amount of energy. And The Offspring is just about the only one in the genre that can fill an entire 90 minute set with truly memorable songs.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Synthetic Hermit posted:

I know The Offspring isn't really a rock band, but that's my answer. Most of the rock/metal I enjoy is from bands founded in 1981 (checking Wikipedia, a drat fine complement of bands were founded in that exact year) and earlier. I listen to a decent amount of extreme metal (grindcore, brutal death metal, slam), but it isn't my bread-and-butter. And I couldn't care less about the 90's grunge scene.

Skatepunk/pop punk is just comfortable, filled with catchy melodies and just the right amount of energy. And The Offspring is just about the only one in the genre that can fill an entire 90 minute set with truly memorable songs.

How is a punk rock band not a rock band?

Like, what do we mean by rock?

Rock is in the heart.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Cemetry Gator posted:

How is a punk rock band not a rock band?

Like, what do we mean by rock?

Rock is in the heart.

There's always been more of a distinction between punk and rock than between rock and metal. The culture and sound is more its own thing. But of course, it is part of the broader "upbeat electric guitar and drums" paradigm.

(inb4 people show a billion examples of punk/metal crossover and I look like even more of a pompous rear end)

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Punk is a sub-genre of rock.

Offspring loving suck.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Pip farting on a snare drum.

period.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
It's Faith No More and none of the crap y'all are posting is even close.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Move the line back to 1979, declare Motorhead the winner, gas thread.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

it's blink 182, op

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sean10mm posted:

Move the line back to 1979, declare Motorhead the winner, gas thread.

Hawkwind have a song called "Motorhead", yet Motorhead do not have a song called "Hawkwind".

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
It's Queen's of the Stone Age OP

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Evanescence.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Killing Joke

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Legendary Pink Dots have released like 100 albums nonstop since 1981 and they're all good

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Limp bizkit

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Serious replies only in this thread

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Papa roach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision