Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Management posted:

where are people going to park their goony kid while they shop at the mall?

where they traditionally dumped their kids: gamestop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The_Franz posted:

where they traditionally dumped their kids: gamestop

they're going out of business too though

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the (to me at least) most surprising complete success apple ever managed was the apple stores being a real and profitable thing. i figured even then that the days of physical stores was coming to a close, and especially with apples focused product lines (little need to compare and consider) it didn't seem to make much sense. but here we are, a seemingly impossible to replicate success story in building brick and mortar stores.

i found it real stupid of microsoft to try too, but then i had already misjudged once so v:shobon:v

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

starbucks hermit posted:

in my opinion, bring back the arcade franchise Time Out while we still have malls

I know around here we still had malls with arcades and lots of people in them until coronavirus.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

apple stores are wild, they didn't just succeed they became the best revenue per square foot stores in the world almost instantly

ofc tim value engineering the genius bar into uselessness is hurting that but they have a long way to fall

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

RFC2324 posted:

I know around here we still had malls with arcades and lots of people in them until coronavirus.

where is that

here in Southern California, the only places with arcades are the mini golf and Dave and Busters. And DnB arcades are usually busted so they're not fun to play (and of course, kids wouldn't be able to go in unassisted either)

I guess for malls around here, I would assume that kids would read manga at Barnes and Noble or get a drink at Starbucks and play on their phones or whatever. Gamestops are becoming hit-and-miss... not all malls will have one.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

starbucks hermit posted:

where is that

here in Southern California, the only places with arcades are the mini golf and Dave and Busters. And DnB arcades are usually busted so they're not fun to play (and of course, kids wouldn't be able to go in unassisted either)

I guess for malls around here, I would assume that kids would read manga at Barnes and Noble or get a drink at Starbucks and play on their phones or whatever. Gamestops are becoming hit-and-miss... not all malls will have one.

Denver area.

Our malls are still busy enough that we can actually have regular shootings

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

before the coronavirus, apple stores were constantly packed to the brim and you needed to wait 20 minutes on a list to even talk to a salesperson

the difference is staggering

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

RFC2324 posted:

Denver area.

Our malls are still busy enough that we can actually have regular shootings

nice

the best thing I ever had in Denver was green chili tortas

I know a guy that lives in Centennial, maybe I can drag him to some of those arcades

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

starbucks hermit posted:

nice

the best thing I ever had in Denver was green chili tortas

I know a guy that lives in Centennial, maybe I can drag him to some of those arcades

Aurora Mall i know for certain, since that's the one i went to all the time. The open air malls don't seem to have them, tho Southlands might. They're is a huge gameworks arcade up at the mall by Stapleton it whatever it's called now

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

RFC2324 posted:

Aurora Mall i know for certain, since that's the one i went to all the time. The open air malls don't seem to have them, tho Southlands might. They're is a huge gameworks arcade up at the mall by Stapleton it whatever it's called now

Thanks for the hints!

Hopefully they're still around once this pandemic subsides

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

starbucks hermit posted:

Thanks for the hints!

Hopefully they're still around once this pandemic subsides

The gameworks probably will be, it's a giant freaking warehouse that includes laser tag and a bar and grill. I'm worried about the mall tho

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

but this is still the linux thread, right?

a great proposal for fedora has emerged!

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BtrfsByDefault

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the (to me at least) most surprising complete success apple ever managed was the apple stores being a real and profitable thing. i figured even then that the days of physical stores was coming to a close, and especially with apples focused product lines (little need to compare and consider) it didn't seem to make much sense. but here we are, a seemingly impossible to replicate success story in building brick and mortar stores.

i found it real stupid of microsoft to try too, but then i had already misjudged once so v:shobon:v

they saw that Apple was making by far the most dollars per square foot in retail, by an integer multiple of the second most profitable retailer (Tiffany & Co.), and wanted in on that gravy train

turns out that if your entire brand is built around commodification, and people don’t actually use your poo poo because they like it, you’re not going to be all that successful in premium retail

who could have known?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

they shouldn't have allowed non ms branded computers inside ms stores. who thought it was a good idea to entice your customers with a brand new trashfire from acer?

also reliability of the surface line doesn't help the case of having them as demo units running 24/7

posting from my work provided, carpet lined surface laptop 2 with a broken touchpad.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

microsoft stores had to sell windows 8

talk about pushing poo poo up hill

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tankakern posted:

Although I would prefer to keep my raid and my filesystems separate, there are other aspects of btrfs that I really hope will gain widespread adoption.

Top among them is the idea of data journaling.

The top filesystems now are doing metadata journaling which makes sure that an incomplete write (to, say, the root directory) to filesystem metadata won't completely screw up your system or the directory entries where the write has corrupted.

But imagine true data journaling supported by applications all the way down to the hardware level. No more corrupt fstab due to inexplicable power loss. It is now safe, at any time, to simply unplug your raspberry pi without signaling it to turn off. No more BAK files littering your workspaces because text files are especially prone to negative effects due to corruption. Truly, we will reach a point in time where it's not a catastrophe if you forget to unmount your usb disk.

Also, taking this one step further, we can turn this into a filesystem level "undo". Without any extra application code.

The problem, of course, is figuring out a portable API that makes all this junk possible. Do you group your writes and they only get committed with a sync? How do we expose this API to Java, Python, Javascript, etc? (Likely we'll have C-backed storage libraries that will do this work on our behalf.) And who is going to actually want to make these changes?

What matters is getting the code out there, then the work on adoption can start.

Also, Red Hat will undoubtedly make the btrfs utils much more better.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Tankakern posted:

Nice!

maybe this will seep into relevant linux distros like ubntu too, btrfs is great

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
and that’s when oracle sues

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i didnt think that was possible what with the gpl, this isnt zfs

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

didn't oracle develop btrfs in the first place?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs

Oracle designed btrfs. Why would they sue?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

starbucks hermit posted:

Also, Red Hat will undoubtedly make the btrfs utils much more better.

this is fedora, not redhat. they deprecated btrfs in RHEL so this is literally 'ill write the wiki'

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

Red Hat will never support Btrfs if Fedora rejects it. Fedora necessarily needs to be first, and make the persuasive case that it solves more problems than alternatives.

lol

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

pram posted:

this is fedora, not redhat. they deprecated btrfs in RHEL so this is literally 'ill write the wiki'

I should know, because I had to convert my home partition from btrfs to xfs when I moved from fedora core to centos 8. I'm pretty sure that I even talked about it on this thread. On the other hand

well, a man can dream. who knows.

if enough paying customers clamor for it then even btrfs can come back

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ooh dolphin has got support for btrfs cow copy now too

https://pointieststick.com/2020/06/26/this-week-in-kde-we-really-hate-bugs-and-we-want-to-squash-them-all/

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

starbucks hermit posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs

Oracle designed btrfs. Why would they sue?

they’re Oracle?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

true, presumably the oracle legal department peons have an internal form letter that goes roughly "sure boss, i see what you are saying, but that would in fact be suing ourselves, and it is my legal opinions that this would be counterproductive."

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

i dont know why you think oracle would sue itself

it’s entirely possible to sue distributors or end users for patent infringement

oh you say the gpl prevents that but are you going to rely on a license agreement written by a dude who could be defeated by potted plants

against a legal department that has managed to copyright an api, despite precedent and law to the contrary

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

you sound like a hn poster

very nice i like
Jan 8, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7hU1-57hg0

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
bill gates aren't a problem

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Xik posted:

bill gates aren't a problem

He’s a billionaire.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

PCjr sidecar posted:

i dont know why you think oracle would sue itself

it’s entirely possible to sue distributors or end users for patent infringement

oh you say the gpl prevents that but are you going to rely on a license agreement written by a dude who could be defeated by potted plants

against a legal department that has managed to copyright an api, despite precedent and law to the contrary

Regardless of what people think about the GPL's origins, there are a lot of organizations and a lot of capital riding on the strength of the GPL. The biggest example is the Open Invention Network, of which Oracle seems to be a member of anyway.

If there were any serious flaws in the GPL, don't you think they would have been addressed by now?

You still think Oracle is just gonna leave OIN to start suing people using btrfs on Linux?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

starbucks hermit posted:

Regardless of what people think about the GPL's origins, there are a lot of organizations and a lot of capital riding on the strength of the GPL. The biggest example is the Open Invention Network, of which Oracle seems to be a member of anyway.

If there were any serious flaws in the GPL, don't you think they would have been addressed by now?

You still think Oracle is just gonna leave OIN to start suing people using btrfs on Linux?

bruh i don't think Larry gives a poo poo about any sort of industry agreement if it will buy him more yacht wax or it will spite someone who annoys him (again, oracle v. google)

if a german copyright troll can cause a gpl enforcement shitshow with a tiny bit of his work in the kernel im sure oracle could find a way

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

idiot

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

don't sign your posts

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind