Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This is sneaking by in all the news: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1109680/Regiments/

Looks like someone is taking a shot at the Wargame: ALB formula!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Eyyy thats it, thanks guys!

Shame about the reviews and it being abandoned now. :(

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Alchenar posted:

This is sneaking by in all the news: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1109680/Regiments/

I miss goon ALB so much, watching this

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Alchenar posted:

Seems pretty solid on first playthrough. The Regiment - Task Force system is a better take on the Phase system of Wargame. I cant really figure out if the infantry actually do anything though lol

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drone posted:

Steam sale is supposedly starting in like 6 hours, maybe you'll get lucky?

and i did! :getin:

Bought Weltkrieg, now i'll just entertain myself with the german and pacific campaigns while i wait for the soviet trilogy to come out

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drone posted:

Which Graviteam game is the one to buy?

i bought the Angolan one due to hitting close to home and i just couldn't do anything useful

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If anyone doesnt have DC: Warsaw to Paris yet and picks it up I think its about time to run another multiplayer game.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Alchenar posted:

If anyone doesnt have DC: Warsaw to Paris yet and picks it up I think its about time to run another multiplayer game.

:yeah: count me in

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they retracted the regiments demo? what the gently caress thats not how demos are supposed to work piss

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It was part of this whole steam festival thing where a ton of indie devleopers would thrown up current snapshots of their games in a big promotional thing.

It was specifically time limited. It wasn't a "This is our game" demo. It was "This is our game and we're still working on it" demo.

Think of it as a teaser trailer.

For the record it was pretty good. Not without flaw, I agree Infantry seemed pretty weak, but again still very much in development. I've definitely added it to my wishhlist.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 28, 2020

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Alchenar posted:

I WILL win one this time. Hope it's not Poland again

Alikchi fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 28, 2020

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Alchenar posted:

There's actually three of them in the works:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1047210/Cold_War_Game/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Video-Game/Broken-Arrow-game-110654423702100/

Regiments is pretty much gonna be SP-only, so it's not gonna fill the role of the goon ALB games.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

apseudonym posted:

I miss goon ALB so much, watching this

So much. T-34 convoys to the enemy spawn is one of my favorite gaming memories.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

Yeah count me in

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Interesting thread on Taiwan's incorporation of US equipment into its military.

https://twitter.com/TangAnZhu/status/1276533600087715840

Nice that I was able to fire up C:MO, find the ROC P-3C in the database and recreate this sortie fairly quickly.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wins32767 posted:

So much. T-34 convoys to the enemy spawn is one of my favorite gaming memories.

Cat C DDR mechanized deck just flooding maps with the cheapest units in the game until the enemy was overwhelmed will never get old

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mans posted:

Cat C DDR mechanized deck just flooding maps with the cheapest units in the game until the enemy was overwhelmed will never get old

The best bit was that by watching the behaviour of the 4 vet 4 Abrams the other guy invariably had you could see him move from 'heh, gonna get all the kills' to 'should maybe create some space' to 'OH poo poo' to quitting out .

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So apparently UA: Dreadnought will be hitting Steam in early August, with the beta campaign to follow 5-6 months after that.

Full complete game sounds like it'll be out sometime next summer.

I love big gun battleship sims. Not without campaigns though, fighting random battles is kind of dumb. Especially, especially with the build your own ship component. It’s totally wasted without a campaign.

It I am stuck fighting random battles I at least want historical ships to fight with.

So, sadly, looks like a need to wait more than a year to play this game... if COVID doesn’t kill me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ZombieLenin posted:

So, sadly, looks like a need to wait more than a year to play this game... if COVID doesn’t kill me.

You'll hear when the campaign mode goes in. I'm getting my campaign fix from RtW2 and UA:D is giving me purestrain pretty battleship fights.

Alchenar posted:

I found my key and the installer. I'll give it a shot.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Right then Case White Signups. Quote this post and edit in your votes/army preference, the next person in the chain needs to quote/edit the post above yours. If somehow two people post at the same time and sign up for the same army then the top post wins:

Germany 3rd Army (also OKH):
Germany 4th Army:
Germany 8th Army:
Germany 10th Army:
Germany 14th Army:
Polish Northern (also Rydz-Smigly):
Polish Southern:

Variants:

Early Rain:
Stalin Breaks Promise:
Western Troops:
Western Offensive:
Better Polish Equipment:
Better Polish Strategy:

Free Setup: x
Equalise:
+10 Days:

I think Free Setup is a no-brainer. I genuinely don't have a sense for what variant settings are fair. Last time we played this one I was all of the Polish forces against a full German team and I won, but only because some inexperienced players made errors and I took some outrageous gambles to punish them (e.g. 2 Panzer corps stacked up in one hex and I used an armoured train to cut them off from supply for two turns). Likewise I don't think we've had a Case Blue game yet where the Germans didn't win.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

Right then Case White Signups. Quote this post and edit in your votes/army preference, the next person in the chain needs to quote/edit the post above yours. If somehow two people post at the same time and sign up for the same army then the top post wins:

Germany 4th Army: gradenko_2000
Germany 8th Army:
Germany 10th Army:
Germany 14th Army:
Polish Southern:

Variants:

Early Rain:
Stalin Breaks Promise:
Western Troops: x
Western Offensive:
Better Polish Equipment:
Better Polish Strategy:

Equalise: x
+10 Days:

I think Free Setup is a no-brainer. I genuinely don't have a sense for what variant settings are fair. Last time we played this one I was all of the Polish forces against a full German team and I won, but only because some inexperienced players made errors and I took some outrageous gambles to punish them (e.g. 2 Panzer corps stacked up in one hex and I used an armoured train to cut them off from supply for two turns). Likewise I don't think we've had a Case Blue game yet where the Germans didn't win.

Signed up for 4th Army, and putting in a vote for "Western Troops" and "Equalize", and I concur with free set-up.

My take is that:
* Stalin Breaks Promise only gives a chance of more troops, so might not be good
* Western Offensive just robs the Germans of troops, so not so interesting
* Better Polish Equipment - I'd be okay with also taking this if more people want to
* Better Polish Strategy - we're already doing free set-up, so this should be of no consequence?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How likely am I to get a 21:9 ultrawidescreen patch for Steel Fury Kharkov 1942

I already posted on their forums

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mans posted:

I remember playing Cat C West Germans and just getting in under the walls of ATGMs by walking hordes of heimatschutzen in against them from 3km away and opponents were so used to defense in that game that it somehow worked.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Panzeh posted:

I remember playing Cat C West Germans and just getting in under the walls of ATGMs by walking hordes of heimatschutzen in against them from 3km away and opponents were so used to defense in that game that it somehow worked.

There was definitely a phase while we were still working out the meta where we realised that the solution to two sides squaring off against each other from opposite ends of a field in cover was to march infantry at them, because they either shot at you and then got smacked by your tanks or your guys got to walk in and murder them all.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Hey Alchenar, do you want newbs for this? I own Case Blue but I can't say I've seriously played it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Literally anyone. The German armies all have something interesting to do, but none of them are by themselves 'make or break'.

e: case white is also a good warm up game for case yellow

e: you do however need to be able to follow basic instructions :v:

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 29, 2020

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I'll give German 14th army a shot. I played one DC:B campaign to completion, but kept bouncing off of Warsaw to Paris

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

quote:

Germany 8th Army: Hypnobeard
Germany 10th Army:
Germany 14th Army:
Polish Southern:

Variants:

Early Rain:
Stalin Breaks Promise:
Western Offensive:
Better Polish Equipment:
Better Polish Strategy:

Equalise:
+10 Days:

Fine with these options.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I picked up thread-favorite DC:B on sale - is there anything I should known/read/watch before I jump in? If there's a relatively succinct tutorial out there somewhere I'd be interested in it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

I picked up thread-favorite DC:B on sale - is there anything I should known/read/watch before I jump in? If there's a relatively succinct tutorial out there somewhere I'd be interested in it.

The manual is... alright. Really it's just one of those games where you have to play for a bit and then you'll be able to eyeball combat odds and then you are good to go.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

One run ending thing I wish I knew was that the Soviet will counter attack from the Pripyat marsh. The AI basically can get supply as long as it can trace a supply route so anything short of full encirclement will not stop them from getting supply. Also don't forget to deploy your artillery and air support with the card system. Watch for overstack bonus, a little over is fine but anything else will see you suffer ridiculous amount of casualty.

I'll throw in my hat

quote:

Germany 10th Army: pedro0930
Germany 14th Army:
Polish Southern:

Variants:

Early Rain:
Stalin Breaks Promise:
Western Offensive:
Better Polish Equipment:
Better Polish Strategy:

Equalise:
+10 Days:

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 29, 2020

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

guess I should do this too

quote:

Germany 14th Army: HannibalBarca
Polish Southern:

Variants:

Early Rain:
Stalin Breaks Promise:
Western Offensive:
Better Polish Equipment:
Better Polish Strategy:

Equalise:
+10 Days:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone played Victory and Glory: The American Civil War (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1241910/Victory_and_Glory_The_American_Civil_War/)? Just looking for general impression of whether it's worth looking into or not.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

nessin posted:

Anyone played Victory and Glory: The American Civil War (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1241910/Victory_and_Glory_The_American_Civil_War/)? Just looking for general impression of whether it's worth looking into or not.

I think that this game is a descendant of "Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War" which, while fun for a few hours, wasn't exactly deep or particularly replayable. The price tag for Victory and Glory: ACW gives me pause in large part because of that (another part is that there's apparently no multiplayer).

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Any opinion on Wars Across the World? It has one hell of a diverse scenario catalog.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

HannibalBarca posted:

I think that this game is a descendant of "Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War" which, while fun for a few hours, wasn't exactly deep or particularly replayable. The price tag for Victory and Glory: ACW gives me pause in large part because of that (another part is that there's apparently no multiplayer).

It is indeed part of the same family. I have played out both campaigns and its interesting, although there are some obvious UI issues and there are some cards that are a bit gamebreaking. I would recommend it but don't spend too much money on it (I'm in a cheap steam pricing region so no idea what the game goes for in USD).

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Bold Robot posted:

This LP has a lot of great info here. If you’re playing watch out for the ai, I think it cheats a little bit with regards to supply. The couple of times I played the Germans the soviets would send a couple units down the seam between army group north and center and gently caress up my supply situation. Something a human wouldn’t be able to do.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

Germany 14th Army: HannibalBarca
Polish Southern: BBJoey

Variants:

Early Rain:
Stalin Breaks Promise:
Western Offensive:
Better Polish Equipment:
Better Polish Strategy:

Equalise:
+10 Days:

everydayfalls posted:

This LP has a lot of great info here. If you’re playing watch out for the ai, I think it cheats a little bit with regards to supply. The couple of times I played the Germans the soviets would send a couple units down the seam between army group north and center and gently caress up my supply situation. Something a human wouldn’t be able to do.
Sending units in between army groups is actually exactly what humans do as the Soviets in DCB. Taking a couple of divisions that are too battered to fight and sending them on an exploratory journey into the enemy backlines is a great way to gently caress with German supply. The AGN-AGC line is particularly vulnerable southeast of Lake Ilmen, which the German player often leaves exposed, and AGC-AGS is vulnerable around Kiev.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

BBJoey posted:

Sending units in between army groups is actually exactly what humans do as the Soviets in DCB. Taking a couple of divisions that are too battered to fight and sending them on an exploratory journey into the enemy backlines is a great way to gently caress with German supply. The AGN-AGC line is particularly vulnerable southeast of Lake Ilmen, which the German player often leaves exposed, and AGC-AGS is vulnerable around Kiev.

Granted it could be that I am just bad at the game. But if I remember correctly, the units where both 10’s of hex’s away from their hq and in a different theater. Which should have provided an ap malus large enough to prevent them from moving more then a hex a turn. I was seeing tank units with their full ap scooting around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Children of a Dead Earth is $2.50 on steam atm.