Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Has anyone tried going for the Sailor Mon achievement recently? Been thinking of giving that one a go, and I would probably try to get Traditional Player as well when I do, since I never have any naval tradition but with Sailor Mon I would probably be taking Ideas that would help me get enough. Anyone know of any other good achievements to go for in tandem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
How is France playing? A friend of mine did a casual game and ended up with PUs over Bohemia, Scotland and Russia. From the new map, it feels like it takes a bit after Burgundy. Rich national provinces, a bunch of vassals to feed/annex as convenient.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
So now you can see your subjects' mission trees? Kind of hilarious with the HRE vassal swarm.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm trying to do a game as Burgundy, and I'm getting frustrated with the missions involving France and their subjects. You get a mission reward that gives all of France's subjects +50% liberty desire. I understand the intent behind it, it's a good way to break up France's vassal blob and strangle them in the crib. But what really happens most of the time is that the +50% LD isn't enough to get them over the threshold where you can support their independence. And even if you do support their independence, they never attempt to break free, so you just sit around draining diplo points.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I wardecced France when a few of the vassals were above 50% LD which gave me the edge in numbers which let me beat their armies and keep that LD high.

Unfortunately, it was too much AE to take everything I needed for the next mission, and I really didn't want more subjects anyway.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
i'm doing a dithmarschen run and haven't gotten the achievement yet because Austria inherited burgundy.

it's 1658, this is how austria looks

they're allied with milan (HRE) too, but I can get them isolated if i attack texas

i think this is the hardest big boss i've ever had in the game that isn't the ottomans

EDIT: anticlimatic campaign finale: they sent all their troops to fight the mamluks and i pounced. by the time i was up to wien they'd only sent a 40k stack. oops

KoldPT fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 26, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I never thought I'd say this but the manufactory replacement that adds sailors is amazing. Kinda situational because how expensive it is and once you have a lot of coastal provinces it becomes a wasted building slot but if you're stuck with a tiny pool it works wonders.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Poil posted:

I never thought I'd say this but the manufactory replacement that adds sailors is amazing. Kinda situational because how expensive it is and once you have a lot of coastal provinces it becomes a wasted building slot but if you're stuck with a tiny pool it works wonders.

The manpower manufactory is also extremely good for high dev, low manpower countries. I would've loved to have access to that thing in my Aztec campaign last patch.

Building slots are definitely much more valuable nowadays now that you want to build courthouses and state houses too. But I'm also finding monarch points to be more plentiful, so I've been developing provinces more which helps.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is there anyway to to trade company investments via the macro builder? Because drat does it ever need it.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

PittTheElder posted:

Is there anyway to to trade company investments via the macro builder? Because drat does it ever need it.

yes, states tab, 3rd folder.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Holy hell I had no idea the states one had tabs, thank you goon sir

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

tbh if I didn't remember them actually mentioning it in a dev diary I wouldn't have remembered either lol

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

gently caress I forgot that embracing the enlightenment prevents the French Revolution disaster. Does that prevent the generic revolution from spawning in my land as well?

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005

Ignorant Hick posted:

gently caress I forgot that embracing the enlightenment prevents the French Revolution disaster. Does that prevent the generic revolution from spawning in my land as well?

It doesn't for other countries, not sure about France though. I think it actually lowers the MTTH of the center of revolution spawning in your country.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Attack and dethrone God (Russia)

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

One of the Knights mission has a prerequisite of "Donate to the curia at least 5 ducats". I remember seeing the option at some point in my Papal run but never in this Knights game (and I'm in 1750 or so), did I disable it by some kind of decision/govt. reform? I've been papal controller but still no option, so not that either.

It's a deadend mission that gives some MP and papal influence, so no big deal, but was curious what I missed.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

canepazzo posted:

One of the Knights mission has a prerequisite of "Donate to the curia at least 5 ducats". I remember seeing the option at some point in my Papal run but never in this Knights game (and I'm in 1750 or so), did I disable it by some kind of decision/govt. reform? I've been papal controller but still no option, so not that either.

It's a deadend mission that gives some MP and papal influence, so no big deal, but was curious what I missed.

Isn’t it just the button to buy indulgence on the left of the Curia screen?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Reveilled posted:

Isn’t it just the button to buy indulgence on the left of the Curia screen?

Heya nope, that's jsut to get papal influence (2 per year?) and +50 (I think?) with the Papal State. There is (meant to be) a third button, with a papal mitre and a green plus, where you can contribute directly to the curia; except in this playthrough it's missing.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THE BAR posted:

No-CB Byzantium, take Constantinople and Morea, let them keep one or two provinces so you get their cores on Ottoman stuff. Make friends with Hungary/Venice or Poland. Pick Religious ideas first. Don't move your capital to a non-island, as you want the Knights' unique government reform for naval stuff. If you have the Emperor DLC, it's a much smoother ride with tons of missions to help you out. Beat up the Balkans and take/vassalize whenever the opportunity shows itself. Stay friends with the Pope; being at 3 stability all game does wonders for your early lack of religious unity.

If you already have the King of Jerusalem achievement, you have all time in the world to do On the Rhodes, so you don't have to take anything east of Greece before the time is right.

Won't this just put you on the Ottoman's target list?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

canepazzo posted:

Heya nope, that's jsut to get papal influence (2 per year?) and +50 (I think?) with the Papal State. There is (meant to be) a third button, with a papal mitre and a green plus, where you can contribute directly to the curia; except in this playthrough it's missing.

i think you have to be papal controller to do so

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

KoldPT posted:

i think you have to be papal controller to do so

Nope, I've been papal controller but no option.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

groogy can you fix this so it doesn't require the month to tick over when you get the third objective. next month is the age of reformation and i lost my golden era because of it

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Naval batteries are great. Eat big flaming balls you wooden marauders! Shame they don't do anything against coast raids.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Man Musk posted:

Attack and dethrone God (Russia)

You are playing Poland Lithuania and yet you complain about Russia? Hypocrite!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Poil posted:

Naval batteries are great. Eat big flaming balls you wooden marauders! Shame they don't do anything against coast raids.

Coastal raids are stupid bullshit that they should just delete.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Coastal raids are a crucial aspect of the game's core Bad Popups You Can't Do Anything About gently caress You mechanic

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They're also very important for the Why The gently caress Can't I Ever Get Prosperity In Rome factor.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

Coastal raids are stupid bullshit that they should just delete.
Agreed. I am surprised that they werent changed at all.

I'm really annoyed that Estate Agendas can move their treasury goalposts if your income goes up because of development after you selected the Agenda. Its not earth shattering or anything but it just puts a really bad taste in my mouth.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mans posted:

Won't this just put you on the Ottoman's target list?

It does! But you can do wonders with a good navy and the people I mentioned as potential allies. The Ottomans aren't that hot this patch.

E:

When I did what I told the other guy to do a few weeks ago, I had to retry the start a million times to get it just right, but it is doable once the stars align. You can buy some more time by just taking the provinces for yourself, except for Constantinople, but I can guarantee you that being greedy sometimes work.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Agreed. I am surprised that they werent changed at all.

I'm really annoyed that Estate Agendas can move their treasury goalposts if your income goes up because of development after you selected the Agenda. Its not earth shattering or anything but it just puts a really bad taste in my mouth.

Its to prevent cheesing by dumping your econ by redirecting your merchants or other things before selecting. They've started doing that recently for new missions/events, but you can still cheese old stuff like most of the events that cause you to lose manpower you can just queue up all your manpower as infantry in one province and then cancel them all right after selecting the event.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Firebatgyro posted:

Its to prevent cheesing by dumping your econ by redirecting your merchants or other things before selecting. They've started doing that recently for new missions/events, but you can still cheese old stuff like most of the events that cause you to lose manpower you can just queue up all your manpower as infantry in one province and then cancel them all right after selecting the event.
. . . that is absurd. They should base the mission off of your average past 12 months of income or something then, not just move the goalposts once you take the mission.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

. . . that is absurd. They should base the mission off of your average past 12 months of income or something then, not just move the goalposts once you take the mission.

lmao at means tested estate agendas

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

THE BAR posted:

It does! But you can do wonders with a good navy and the people I mentioned as potential allies. The Ottomans aren't that hot this patch.

E:

When I did what I told the other guy to do a few weeks ago, I had to retry the start a million times to get it just right, but it is doable once the stars align. You can buy some more time by just taking the provinces for yourself, except for Constantinople, but I can guarantee you that being greedy sometimes work.

Yup, that worked fine once you get them trapped on the wrong side, then you don't even have to fight em.

The trick after that is not to pummel the Ottos too much or they just get replaced by the Mamluks, who can get quite the ridiculous navies. You probably will be better served alternating between the two when they fight each other, since the Knights missions give you claims on both.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Adding tracking the last 12 months of income for each country would definitely not help the performance. This is the price we must pay for someone doing this strat in MP.

I'm kind of eager for the new version of MEIOU to come out if it integrates some of the Emperor changes. I keep feeling like MEIOU is almost to greatness.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?

I realize the AI just kind of does this and it doesn't cost them much and it's fine, but I'm having fun imagining that Chagatai is planning some real chessmaster maneuvering strategy against Manchu here.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
Is it just me or does it seem like the update kinda messed with the province weighting for the spread of the Reformation? I've played like six or seven campaigns past 1650 since the update now (plus a bunch more to different times in the 1500s) and I've not seen a single Protestant scandinavia. Meanwhile, unless I'm playing in or around the HRE and trying to stop it, Protestant and Reformed basically take over every single German province outside of Austria and maaaybe Bavaria. I like that protestantism is harder to keep in check now than it was in previous patches, but aside from the Munich->Bavaria game I played where the first two Protestant CoRs spawned in OPMs on my border, the empire is basically completely broken by heresy every time. And even in that Bavaria game, once I'd beaten down both those CoRs (the third one spawned in the Low Countries) and eventually started converting my provinces back as the zeal wore off, the lone remaining Protestant CoR kept loving targetting my provinces again as soon as I'd convert them. Sure, that actually made keeping the reformation in check and Imperial Authority strong trivial since there were max like 5 heretic princes at any given time(managed to fully strangle Reformed in the cradle), but holy god was it annoying to basically be stuck with permanent protestant provinces while trying to be the Big Catholic Emperor.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

lol

ottomans, you're next

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Communist Walrus posted:

Coastal raids are a crucial aspect of the game's core Bad Popups You Can't Do Anything About gently caress You mechanic

You can turn the popup off.

Your poo poo still gets raided obviously but at least the game doesn't keep going "Hey. Hey I just raided you looool"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Wafflecopper posted:

You can turn the popup off.

Your poo poo still gets raided obviously but at least the game doesn't keep going "Hey. Hey I just raided you looool"

Yeah, I know about turning the popups off. I was trying to link it to this to a larger gripe I have about the game, which is the prevalence of random bad events, or even just random events in general. They're not the same, of course; one is a computer player utilizing a game mechanic, while the other is the system deciding it's time to slap you with a penalty. Both just happen to be conveyed to the player through popups.

I'm not quite sure why I hate the random events in this game as much as I do. I don't have the same problem with CK2 even though that's the Paradox game that leans most hard into random events. Maybe it's because the bad events in CK2 feed into the larger narrative of your dynasty, or present interesting challenges for you to overcome. In EU4 bad events are usually just straight up bad for the player, and frequently feel divorced from anything within the player's control ("Comet sighted!"). They're more like random monarch point taxes, which aren't interesting from pretty much any perspective you could look at them from and are particularly punishing when you're playing a smaller or poorer nation.