Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Sir, have you heard of the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

McSpanky posted:

I hate feeling like I have to pull an all-nighter to keep up with everyone else the minute a show drops (usually at midnight). A staggered release puts everyone on the same page and lets the individual episodes settle in your mind, regardless of the series structure.

Nope.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Wow they built up that supe terrorist to be a villain in the next season and then kill him off in the first 3 minutes...

Probably smart to keep the focus on the real villains of the show.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

So when a serialized show does release on a weekly schedule, how hot do burn with impotent fury that you can't cram it down your eyeholes as quickly as humanly possible?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holy poo poo the first 3 minutes just reminded me how loving good this show is. It's a long wait till September.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I lost it at the growling noises with the rabbit. :allears:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

McSpanky posted:

So when a serialized show does release on a weekly schedule, how hot do burn with impotent fury that you can't cram it down your eyeholes as quickly as humanly possible?

The best show on TV (Better Call Saul) is much improved by not having to wait a week between episodes. I have no problem with episodic content doing a staggered release but in the age of streaming and serialized shows it's dumb as gently caress. Just means I gotta wait until October to watch The Boys I guess.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think the genreblending of prestige TV leading to TV shows just being a single 8-10 hour film has actually lead to worse storytelling over the years. Every TV show that is produced with binging in mind is written so that every development ramps up harder and faster than the previous one, so that the escalation constantly tops itself.

This leads to stories like Breaking Bad where what’s happening at the end of the season is so much more intense and removed from the first couple episodes that they end up not mattering.

When a show is intentionally released episodically, it means each episode is intended to tell its OWN STORY of addition to telling parts of a larger story.

They are honesty just two distinct methods for storytelling, but I prefer the drip-feed to the binge.

Also one thing that sucks is watching an episode of a show with your GF, then you pass out, and when you wake up she’s finished the entire show! Rude!:saddowns:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
By that reasoning you think they are releasing a 3 episode arc, with 5 stand alones?

I doubt that very much, it will be the same as last season, they are just rationing it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No I think they shot all the principal and finished editing the first half of the show, then the plague hit and all the editors and sound guys had to figure out how to WFH and that’s why they’re releasing it this way.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Holy poo poo the first 3 minutes just reminded me how loving good this show is. It's a long wait till September.

Antony Starr's crazy take on the character of Homelander is back and it's incredible.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I thought they finished filming in November? Kirpke tweeted that they were putting the finishing touches to sound and vfx on may 26th. Though he may well have been lying, I don't see why he would.

I am going to keep an open mind about their motivations, perhaps with the increased budget there is a need for increased viewing numbers and 10+5 weeks of marketing + hype is their method. Which other shows have Amazon staggered the episode releases?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm just excited how it got renewed and also the short video shows they are continuing the unique humor from the first season.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Reminder: The Mandalorian released week-to-week and Baby Yoda owned Twitter for nearly that entire ten week window.

The Boys S1 dropped all at once and social was mostly over it after a month.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's unfair to compare something to anything Star Wars. People are still writing novel length reviews about the Empire Strikes Back. Compare it to something with less of a built in crazy fanbase that released on a staggered schedule, like Love Is Blind.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

Reminder: The Mandalorian released week-to-week and Baby Yoda owned Twitter for nearly that entire ten week window.

The Boys S1 dropped all at once and social was mostly over it after a month.

Yeah, there have been a few notable exceptions, like House of Cards and Stranger Things, but overall going all at once more often leads to people burning through the show over a weekend and mostly forgetting about it until next year.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's unfair to compare something to anything Star Wars. People are still writing novel length reviews about the Empire Strikes Back. Compare it to something with less of a built in crazy fanbase that released on a staggered schedule, like Love Is Blind.

True, but I’m not talking art, I’m talking capitalism. After the success of The Mandalorian, it was only a matter of time before a streaming service (that isn’t Hulu) took one of their ultra-popular shows and experimented with a drip feed to try and stretch out the real estate it occupies in people’s minds.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

I think the genreblending of prestige TV leading to TV shows just being a single 8-10 hour film has actually lead to worse storytelling over the years. Every TV show that is produced with binging in mind is written so that every development ramps up harder and faster than the previous one, so that the escalation constantly tops itself.

This leads to stories like Breaking Bad where what’s happening at the end of the season is so much more intense and removed from the first couple episodes that they end up not mattering.

When a show is intentionally released episodically, it means each episode is intended to tell its OWN STORY of addition to telling parts of a larger story.

They are honesty just two distinct methods for storytelling, but I prefer the drip-feed to the binge.

Also one thing that sucks is watching an episode of a show with your GF, then you pass out, and when you wake up she’s finished the entire show! Rude!:saddowns:

Wasn't Breaking Bad released weekly?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
One show that is on Prime that I really enjoy, having read all the books that are out, and watched every episode, in a totally legitimate way, when they broadcast is The Expanse. I still haven't seen the last 2 episodes, I just haven't got around to it for some reason. :shrug: I dont know why.

This 50/50 approach maybe a happy medium, satisfy a pent up demand with a multi episode drop then tease out the remainder. I am keeping an open mind.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GD_American posted:

You don't, though. Only insane people would expect you to be done with a show within the first month of release. If they can't keep their loving yap shut, they're not a friend.

Case in point:

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Wow they built up that supe terrorist to be a villain in the next season and then kill him off in the first 3 minutes...

So I was dealing with car issues yesterday and totally forgot there was a preview dropping. So gently caress me if I didn't want that (minor but interesting) point revealed until I watched the preview.

All bingeblock TV is like that. You miss out on the 'critical period' and all of a sudden you wake up to a tweet or FB post about how "OMG ELEVEN IS A CLONE OF THE HIVEQUEEN?!" or "How Sprite's death will ROCK the next season of Rainbow Bright and the Spectrum Warriors"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with that style of storytelling, though. The first two seasons of Santa Clarita Diet are basically a single continuous crescendo and it makes for some incredible TV. It's not ideal for every series but good writers can do great things writing for streaming release. If anything I think more shows are ruined by being overly episodic, although most series that I've seen in the streaming age seem to have found some kind of balance.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.

Straight White Shark posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with that style of storytelling, though. The first two seasons of Santa Clarita Diet are basically a single continuous crescendo and it makes for some incredible TV. It's not ideal for every series but good writers can do great things writing for streaming release. If anything I think more shows are ruined by being overly episodic, although most series that I've seen in the streaming age seem to have found some kind of balance.

Yeah, TV-shows where every episode is self-contained run into the opposite problem where it can often feel like no progress is ever made. There are advantages and drawbacks to either type, but saying that the prestige TV trend has led to worse storytelling is extremely baffling to me. There's been such a plethora of good shows following this formula that from the 00s up is literally being called The Golden Age of Television.

edit: well technically a 'new' or 'second/third' golden age, but my point stands.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It'll be interesting to see the interaction between Homelander and Stormfront. He seemed a little annoyed to see her.

I thought the Vaughn lady got fired/quit? Or did she get promoted up to Stillwells position?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

It'll be interesting to see the interaction between Homelander and Stormfront. He seemed a little annoyed to see her.

I read that as him being mad that he wasn't consulted about the new addition to the team.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

PostNouveau posted:

I read that as him being mad that he wasn't consulted about the new addition to the team.

And also her attitude was different from Starlight's. The opposite of her starstruck "happy to be here".

Also sorry for the spoiler btw.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

There's that, but I think there's an element of having to share the spotlight. If they shoved another meek Starlight-esque farmgirl onto the team he probably wouldn't have cared so much, but in the brief little intro video they establish that she is a strong personality with a big following and that really gets under Homelander's skin.

(There's also an implication that this isn't how Vought normally manages their superhero brands. Homelander and especially Maeve are confused why a well-established popular supe is showing up at a shoot for the Seven; the idea that she might have anything to do with the opening(s) on the team doesn't seem to occur to them. Vought seems to like tapping young up-and-comers for the Seven instead of cannibalizing their own brands, so Homelander and Maeve are taken off-guard.)

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Panfilo posted:

I thought the Vaughn lady got fired/quit? Or did she get promoted up to Stillwells position?

Yeah Ashley got canned after the Believe expo shitfest. Presumably Mr Edgar brings her back.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm excited for Stormfront to handcuff herself to Vought HQ's doors

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ovenmaster posted:

Yeah, TV-shows where every episode is self-contained run into the opposite problem where it can often feel like no progress is ever made. There are advantages and drawbacks to either type, but saying that the prestige TV trend has led to worse storytelling is extremely baffling to me. There's been such a plethora of good shows following this formula that from the 00s up is literally being called The Golden Age of Television.

edit: well technically a 'new' or 'second/third' golden age, but my point stands.

This is like when a movie that just came out is labeled an "instant classic" or "immediately timeless". If it hasn't been out for at least a decade you should be extremely suspicious of anything, in specific or aggregate, being hailed as some variant of "the best ever".

Like did you even read the example list? What complete buffoon thought 24 or Once Upon A Time deserved to share page space with Oz or Homicide?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Mameluke posted:

I'm excited for Stormfront to handcuff herself to Vought HQ's doors

:byodame: "THEY TOOK OFF MY BLUE CHECKMARK! I'LL BURN CHURP TO THE GROUND!"

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Season 2 sneak peak!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dSIuDM20lc

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

the last two shows I watched week to week were the outsider and watchmen and both felt like a huge, disappointing waste of time. Releasing an already-finished show in increments is objectively worse for the consumer.

I also find that I'm much more likely to get spoiled on weekly shows because everyone's watching it and either spoils the book it's based on (Outsider) or someone just guesses everything accurately or it leaks (Watchmen).

Anyways I'm really glad that this season is not gonna be about (sneak peak spoilers) the Super-terrorist and also Aya Cash was great in that little clip.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
When I watched Watchmen (which I absolutely loved!) I would limit myself to 2 episodes a day on purpose and really enjoyed viewing it that way.

Watchmen is even better now than it was when I watched it 6 months ago, because it’s even more prescient and relevant than it was.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

When I watched Watchmen (which I absolutely loved!) I would limit myself to 2 episodes a day on purpose and really enjoyed viewing it that way.

Watchmen is even better now than it was when I watched it 6 months ago, because it’s even more prescient and relevant than it was.

Also, knowing what the story is about and will end up focusing on from the beginning helps it a lot.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You know, I never got the impression the super terrorist guy was supposed to be like the next big plot point. It always seemed to me like Homelander was saying "I made this one and a bunch more like him and now we can go kill them. Isn't my master plan awesome?"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Aya Cash is dynamite, so hype now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

You know, I never got the impression the super terrorist guy was supposed to be like the next big plot point. It always seemed to me like Homelander was saying "I made this one and a bunch more like him and now we can go kill them. Isn't my master plan awesome?"

Yeah that was my impression.

Their very own monster of the week as it might be.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah that was my impression.

Their very own monster of the week as it might be.

I got that impression, but I also get the impression the 82nd floor isn't too happy with that whole plan. They might have wanted one just for the contracts, but they definitely didn't want a bunch of them.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Starks posted:

the last two shows I watched week to week were the outsider and watchmen and both felt like a huge, disappointing waste of time. Releasing an already-finished show in increments is objectively worse for the consumer.

I also find that I'm much more likely to get spoiled on weekly shows because everyone's watching it and either spoils the book it's based on (Outsider) or someone just guesses everything accurately or it leaks (Watchmen).

Anyways I'm really glad that this season is not gonna be about (sneak peak spoilers) the Super-terrorist and also Aya Cash was great in that little clip.

Weekly episode releases are not worse for the consumer. If you have a show that is going to generate discussions, and try to build some buzz, weekly releases is by the superior way to go. Imagine if GoT season dropped all at once and some people binged the season in one go whole you watched 2 episodes before going to bed and then you woke up to discussions of how crazy the Red Wedding was, and that people can’t believe Robb Stark got killed in that way.

If you prefer binging, you already don’t care as much about spoilers (unless you are one of those people who stays up until 6am watching things in one go), and people who love binging can wait until a season is done airing and schedule their viewing as they please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

seaborgium posted:

I got that impression, but I also get the impression the 82nd floor isn't too happy with that whole plan. They might have wanted one just for the contracts, but they definitely didn't want a bunch of them.

It's also because it shows an uncomfortable amount of initiative on Homelander's part. You DON'T want someone like Homelander to show initiatove.