Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I heard that Chrome was Not Great so I switched to Firefox, which I hear is Good Again. What's the adblocker of choice? Any other must-have extensions for security?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

big cummers ONLY posted:

I heard that Chrome was Not Great so I switched to Firefox, which I hear is Good Again. What's the adblocker of choice? Any other must-have extensions for security?

uBlock Origin exists in all the major browsers. HTTPS Everywhere does what it says on the tin. Privacy Badger and some forms of script blocker are the other commonly-recommended security extensions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Same addons as you used under chrome, ublock, umatrix, whatever. All the big ones are on all browsers.

Just be aware that some poo poo straight up doesn't work on firefox, it's reminiscent of the IE days. People develop websites for Chrome and nothing else.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Oh dear, was I bamboozled into switching away from Chrome?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

big cummers ONLY posted:

Oh dear, was I bamboozled into switching away from Chrome?

It's very much like the IE days where the dominant player doesn't adhere to the standards as well as it should.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

thanks folks, you're great. always around to help when i have random clueless questions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Firefox is fine on 99.9% of sites. Just be aware you'll want to keep chrome installed when you hit the one that doesn't.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Comedy option: use edge for that .1% (Or not so comedy, I can understand not even wanting any google product on my pc.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My usage is 99.5% Firefox, 0.4% Chrome for streaming Bob's Burgers and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, and 0.1% Edge for sites that don't work with ad blockers cause it's easier than disabling the ad blocker on FF or chrome. I don't log into anything on Edge, so hopefully the cookie trackers aren't grabbing anything.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Ublock origin is the best ad blocker. But Honestly now that edge is chromium based you should probably use that rather than google chrome. You can still install stuff from the chrome extension store. New Edge combines everything that makes chrome good plus a bunch of Microsoft tech that makes it even better and more secure.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Don't know about "even better and more secure", Microsoft really seems to cram tons of worthless features like "Collections" into Edge. But for me, the only reason I switched from Chrome to Edge is the fact Chrome doesn't (or, no longer has) have tab mute & it's not Firefox, which always feels slow and clunky and doesn't have the ability to launch launch websites as apps.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Lambert posted:

Don't know about "even better and more secure", Microsoft really seems to cram tons of worthless features like "Collections" into Edge. But for me, the only reason I switched from Chrome to Edge is the fact Chrome doesn't (or, no longer has) have tab mute & it's not Firefox, which always feels slow and clunky and doesn't have the ability to launch launch websites as apps.

muting a tab was one of my most used features of chrome, why did they get rid of that anyway. muting the loving site as a whole blows.

ill also add in and say that for 92% of ppl if you liek chrome you'll like edge.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I’ve been using Edge as my primary browser since it switched over. It’s good. The spacing of some UI elements is a little too large compared to Chrome, but for everything else it’s great.

You may still have issues with some sites that say Edge isn’t Chrome.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I was thinking of switching to Vivaldi myself. I could use the power user stuff for my 400 odd tabs.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

HalloKitty posted:

An old Windows vm would be perfect for this kind of thing, fire it up and run outlook express the way it was intended.

I know old versions of windows can be very handy, I annoyed someone royally on this very forum by firing up an NT 3.51 VM and copying out the 32-bit cardfile.exe so he could recover his bosses' old cardfile database... that's some poo poo he inevitably had to support for a longer time than anyone should have to

Is there a way to actually get a Windows XP VM these days though? I threw away all my XP discs and keys years ago.

Edit - Google is my friend, found a few options. Thanks.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Medullah posted:

Is there a way to actually get a Windows XP VM these days though? I threw away all my XP discs and keys years ago.

Edit - Google is my friend, found a few options. Thanks.

I think it's also easy to forget that if you have Windows 7 Pro installed anywhere, it has a free copy of XP in a VM available to it in the form of Windows XP Mode. It's something that was hyped at launch to get businesses away from XP at all costs, but I rarely ever hear anyone talk about it any more

Edit: it seems there are also various guides online to get the XP mode image installed and activated on Windows 10, too

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 27, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just use Virtualbox.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

HalloKitty posted:

I think it's also easy to forget that if you have Windows 7 Pro installed anywhere, it has a free copy of XP in a VM available to it in the form of Windows XP Mode. It's something that was hyped at launch to get businesses away from XP at all costs, but I rarely ever hear anyone talk about it any more

Edit: it seems there are also various guides online to get the XP mode image installed and activated on Windows 10, too

Yup, that's what I found online. Create a VM in VirtualBox and extract the XP Mode download.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

I was thinking of switching to Vivaldi myself. I could use the power user stuff for my 400 odd tabs.

Took me 3 hours to make the switch, but I'm down to 543 tabs from 814, and they're all much better organized. Now I can start actually working on reading some of this stuff through and finishing it off, too.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Just coming in here to bitch about how the latest update on reboot locked me into a guided tour of the new Edge features that I don't care about or will even use.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

OhFunny posted:

Just coming in here to bitch about how the latest update on reboot locked me into a guided tour of the new Edge features that I don't care about or will even use.

I hope you paid attention to the options to prevent it from copying all your browser data into itself.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Dylan16807 posted:

I hope you paid attention to the options to prevent it from copying all your browser data into itself.

I thankfully did not do this.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

its cool that setting up windows now feels like a game of irl minesweeper

MS gone full circle

hmmm... minesweeper 360...

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Does Minesweeper have a subscription service as well, or is that Solitaire-only?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Uthor posted:

cause it's easier than disabling the ad blocker on FF or chrome.
It's three clicks to disable uBlock Origin for current site and you don't have to move mouse all aroud the screen. It take 4 to open it in Edge.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

And three more clicks to reenable. Plus whatever troubleshooting I need to do to figure out if it is actually ad blocking or cookie tracking or a combination of the two.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MikusR posted:

It take 4 to open it in Edge.

:wrong: takes me just 2

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

big clicks or small i love you all

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Oh, nice. I knew such addons/extensions existed but I totally forgot thank you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Statutory Ape posted:

big clicks or small i love you all

2.5 clicks here :smug:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

tuyop posted:

2.5 clicks here :smug:

RIP your finger, you can never let go of the mouse button without it counting as a full click

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

HalloKitty posted:

RIP your finger, you can never let go of the mouse button without it counting as a full click

sorry you still can't understand the concept of half mouse clicks, TJ "HalloKitty" Yoshi

now, to enter firefox parallel universes, we need to hold ctrl-t for 12 hours until we have enough tabs to overflow the tabbar buffer...

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I caved and bought Active Bootdisk in the end and managed to recover most of my songs. A few seem to have become corrupted but uh, I'll find out which and weed those out in due time I guess?

There was like 50 gigs of music and audio files and some didn't get the tags or names recovered and I have no idea what they are, might be stuff from games or something. But I got the stuff I was missing from my collection at least.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Klyith posted:

sorry you still can't understand the concept of half mouse clicks, TJ "HalloKitty" Yoshi

now, to enter firefox parallel universes, we need to hold ctrl-t for 12 hours until we have enough tabs to overflow the tabbar buffer...

There's something so utterly wonderful about the way a handful of people have torn Mario 64 apart, it's truly mindboggling

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
How does Windows license recovery work in the age of Windows 10? From what I can see I have to connect my computer to my MSFT account to have my license linked and if I have that setup I can reinstall from a bootable USB and just log in to have my licensing restored.

For various reasons I don't like the idea of logging into my computer with my "Microsoft" account, so I'm using local admin accounts. I'm paranoid that I'll either get locked out or it'll be too easy for someone else to get in.

Is it time for me to change my MSFT password to something "easy" and use that to log in? Should I create a second admin account and link THAT one to my MSFT account? Is there some 3rd way I'm not thinking of?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

FunOne posted:

Is it time for me to change my MSFT password to something "easy" and use that to log in? Should I create a second admin account and link THAT one to my MSFT account? Is there some 3rd way I'm not thinking of?

Dunno if changing your password to something less secure is a good idea. I do know that if you set up the MS account on your Windows machine, you can somehow set it to unlock with a PIN instead of a password, like an iPad or something.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I don't know if the account linked to the MS account needs to be admin for the license transfer, but you can certainly de-admin it after. And you used to be able to unlink it back to a local account, I'm not sure how it is now.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

Dunno if changing your password to something less secure is a good idea. I do know that if you set up the MS account on your Windows machine, you can somehow set it to unlock with a PIN instead of a password, like an iPad or something.

Everything other than my phone & computer password are random 10 digit things. I'm not going to memorize and type that poo poo in 2 dozen times a day, so if I have to login using my MSFT password its going to have to be "easy".

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Last Chance posted:

You can do this with a local account too. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Every time I go to update LibreOffice, I get a note saying "The automatic download of the update is currently not available" and I need to manually download and install the update. Is there something wrong with my setup and keeps the program from applying updates itself or is this just not a feature of LibreOffice?