Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

man it is rad as loving hell living in a failed state

wait poo poo no it isn't jesus christ every goddamn day is another existential crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

The Fool posted:

city is mandating masks in “ public indoor spaces”

there were actual anti mask protesters at the announcement

including a doctor
a neurosurgeon
who was quoted as saying “medical choices should be left to the individual “

ben carson is a neurosurgeon and he's dumber than dogshit

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

The Fool posted:

including a doctor
a neurosurgeon
who was quoted as saying “medical choices should be left to the individual “
Ahh yes, the germ theory of disease - "teach the controversy"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
ben carson’s a neurosurgeon too makes one think.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Roosevelt posted:

ben carson is a neurosurgeon and he's dumber than dogshit

:mad:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

eat poo poo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

This is my hobby now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This is my hobby now

i thought your hobby was baseball and cycling and photography and pac-man and toasters.

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i thought your hobby was baseball and cycling and photography and pac-man and toasters.

I have a lot of hobbies. Baseball is out right now. Cycling, photography, pac-man, and wet shaving are in.

Next year may be different.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wet shaving is logically impossible because it's a hipster thing but hipsters have beards and therefore don't shave.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mystes posted:

Wet shaving is logically impossible because it's a hipster thing but hipsters have beards and therefore don't shave.
i use one harry’s razor cartridge a month and i have never even so much as nicked myself. i now crave that closeness of shave, over an electric razor which i used for most of my early shaving years

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

It's not really a hipster thing, it's more a "I don't want to pay $7.99 for a single shave" thing

Modern 2+ blade disposable cartridges really haven't proven themselves superior to safety razors in any way except the "roll out of bed and be done in 15 minutes" sense and while I appreciate that, I can buy an entire year's worth of Derby blades for $10. That buys me two weeks of Mach 5 shaves.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

This is my hobby now

gee bill! how come you get two razors?

Apr 7, 2003

Very carefully

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

It's not really a hipster thing, it's more a "I don't want to pay $7.99 for a single shave" thing

Modern 2+ blade disposable cartridges really haven't proven themselves superior to safety razors in any way except the "roll out of bed and be done in 15 minutes" sense and while I appreciate that, I can buy an entire year's worth of Derby blades for $10. That buys me two weeks of Mach 5 shaves.

what is wrong with your face i think i change razor blades like once every 10 weeks max.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

it’s this. the brushes are usually massively cruel to animals so if you want that then go synthetic, but it will save you $300-400 a year if you are a daily shaver.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

what is wrong with your face i think i change razor blades like once every 10 weeks max.

Mine usually go about 3-4 weeks. I think I may have purchased a bad batch of feather blades this go around.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lmao you don't get to pretend to be thrifty when you buy a $150 razor handle for no reason

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i think their plastic handles are pretty inexpensive. might even get one.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I don't know if you can still get them, but several years ago you could find old gillette handles in really good condition for $15 or so. I have a few

oh actually I just looked and they're like $40 now for a fatboy on eBay, iirc that was one of the more expensive ones but yeah at that price point just get a new one made this century

Apr 7, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Lol yeah, it’s you, the guy who gets ten weeks out of one cartridge.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my cartridges last a long time but i only shave my neck and cheeks

Apr 7, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

lmao you don't get to pretend to be thrifty when you buy a $150 razor handle for no reason

That’s me being me

Someone who actually wants to be thrifty can certainly get by on a $40 handle and $10 for two years worth of blades.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

That’s me being me

Someone who actually wants to be thrifty can certainly get by on a $40 handle and $10 for two years worth of blades.

word that's fair

Apr 7, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

I don't know if you can still get them, but several years ago you could find old gillette handles in really good condition for $15 or so. I have a few

oh actually I just looked and they're like $40 now for a fatboy on eBay, iirc that was one of the more expensive ones but yeah at that price point just get a new one made this century

Refinished fatboys are $200+, which is lol as hell when you realize a Merkur 34C is a clone of that razor for forty bucks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i use a straight razor with disposable blades (i think it is called a "shavette") to trim my beard and i replace the blade once a week, after three uses. each blade costs 5 cents.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

recommendation for an inexpensive but decent handle?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
a single mach3 razor will last me over a year

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

i use a straight razor with disposable blades (i think it is called a "shavette") to trim my beard and i replace the blade once a week, after three uses. each blade costs 5 cents.

i could use this too. i assume its just to tidy up the lines?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Refinished fatboys are $200+, which is lol as hell when you realize a Merkur 34C is a clone of that razor for forty bucks.

Jesus Christ that's ridiculous. I guess I was lucky that at the time it wasn't cool yet or w/d

grandpashaving4lyfe though

Apr 7, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Mine usually go about 3-4 weeks. I think I may have purchased a bad batch of feather blades this go around.

I’m super impressed wit the entire feather setup. A feather blade in a as-d2 barely even makes noise while it trims you to skin level.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

President Beep posted:

just go with a merkur that you like since apparently eBay sucks now :mad:

Apr 7, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

Jesus Christ that's ridiculous. I guess I was lucky that at the time it wasn't cool yet or w/d

grandpashaving4lyfe though

I’ve gone my entire life with garbage skin and the improvement from DE wet shaving has been huge. You can spend as little or as much as you want on it and I’ve been extravagant so far, but the results have been good compared to what I was doing, ie, lovely disposables.

Using a nice shaving soap that smells good and makes you feel good elevates it to a luxury treatment too.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

just go with a merkur that you like since apparently eBay sucks now :mad:

cool. many thanks.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Using a nice shaving soap that smells good and makes you feel good elevates it to a luxury treatment too.

This was a key element for me. Helps makes shaving less like a chore and more like a worthwhile ritual, if that makes sense.

That and badger hair for the brush, foams up more easily for some reason.

Been using the same strait razor for 8 years now, it’ll probably outlive me. Never goin’ back.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I’ve gone my entire life with garbage skin and the improvement from DE wet shaving has been huge

yeah I was the same way. tbh I think that it's much more the good soap than the DE razor so long as you don't use a cartridge for 10 weeks - it just so happens that most people switch to both at the same time. I could be wrong on that though, I've never tried a cartridge razor with good soap (and was too poor to not reuse the hell out of cartridges when I used them - cheap razor blades are why i switched in the first place)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

That’s me being me

i spent $35 on a razor about 9 years ago, and have spent probably $30 in blades and $20 in soap since then

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

President Beep posted:

personally i go for old crow, but evan williams is also a dece choice

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Eeyo posted:

personally i go for old crow, but evan williams is also a dece choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

President Beep posted:

cool. many thanks.

i have a merkur 34c and its fine, but i tried my dad's razor and it was a lot smoother. idk what he has