Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Almost bit on this today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

NienNunb posted:

Almost bit on this today

It's a bargain on a great mixer that will likely outlive us all.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

And you can buy 5 of them, truly a costco sized purchase.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

If you think I'm not getting the KitchenAid food processor and 9-piece OXO Softworks POP container set on sale now, you gotta get your head checked!!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Virigoth posted:

Yeah like rice and flour and stuff. Or maybe I'm a secret Antifa super soldier who has to hang up over 1 million flyers around town.

You can request supplies at one of the field offices, you know. The Soros reimbursement forms take forever.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 26, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NienNunb posted:

Almost bit on this today

That is one hell of a deal.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zoom in...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Steamy!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Can the Kobo vibrate

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Took advantage of poo poo being back in stock. NY strip steak, peanut butter, canned chicken, rice, canned tomatoes, chicken stock, and flour. Feeling like those depression Era folk who reuse and ration everything, but I remember what it was like when everyone realized they needed things at once. Gonna keep a modest stock of shelf stable goods I actually use.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
What do people think of the kitchenAid blender and food processors ?

Most blenders and food processors, even name brand, seem to have pretty poor reviews and fail after a few years, just not made as well as they used to be :/

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

We've had a KitchenAid mixer forever and it's great!

Anybody have recent experience getting tires installed? I live in COVID central and have an appointment to get a new set put on, but screw that if they're going to just jump in the car with no memory of when their last hand washing was..

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Paul MaudDib posted:

Most blenders and food processors, even name brand, seem to have pretty poor reviews and fail after a few years, just not made as well as they used to be :/

A kitchenaid mixer will literally last decades if not longer. I've had one for over 20 years and it works as phenomenally as the first use.

I guess if I had one complaint is that it weighs a ton and can be a bit scary if you store it on a higher shelf, but that con is related to the above pro.

If you do any amount of mixing on a weekly or even monthly basis it well return dividends.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I meant the blender and the food processor, not the mixer. They’re on sale as well.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I had a kitchenaid blender. Do not buy. Died making a milkshake letting out the magic blue smoke.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Paul MaudDib posted:

I meant the blender and the food processor, not the mixer. They’re on sale as well.

Oh sorry, no idea. I don't think those have the same stout reputation as their mixer.

I've honestly never found a solid one of those and just used more of the cheap disposable ones. I've heard vitamix, bullet, and ninja are good, but never felt impressed when I saw them in person. We had a baby bullet for pureeing baby food and it was fine I guess but I wouldn't have paid for it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Paul MaudDib posted:

King of blenders are Vitamix and Blendtec. Those are lifetime blenders, and Costco sometimes gets specials on them. I'd hold out for one of them if you are willing to wait

Edit: Blendtec is the brand they use for the Will It Blend? videos. Spoiler alert, almost everything will blend

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 27, 2020

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Paul MaudDib posted:

My stand mixer is a workhorse and loving owns.

The coffee grinder only lasted like a year and a half. I imagine the blender is closer to that, since it's basically a much larger version of the coffee grinder.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

a mysterious cloak posted:

We've had a KitchenAid mixer forever and it's great!

Anybody have recent experience getting tires installed? I live in COVID central and have an appointment to get a new set put on, but screw that if they're going to just jump in the car with no memory of when their last hand washing was..

I went in peak covid like a jerk rear end and they took great care. Wiped it down and put plastic on the seats and stuff.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I'm going in peak COVID here, so I'm a jerk-rear end too. But it's their own fault for having Michelin Pilot Sports on sale!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cuisinart or bust for a food processor imo

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

But it's their own fault for having Michelin Pilot Sports on sale!

Excellent choice on tire, my goon.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Pita chips, mmmm.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

But it's their own fault for having Michelin Pilot Sports on sale!

WHAT

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I'm going to plunder the frozen section tomorrow. I came home from cycling to find out that my wife is not good at freezer Tetris and the door to the upright 14 cubic sq ft freezer had been ajar in the 80 degree garage for over an hour. Needless to say, stuff wasn't really that frozen any more.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Were on sale until 6/15, bro do you even Co?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Were on sale until 6/15, bro do you even Co?

my Continental EXTREMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECONTACT Sports are almost bald. Oh well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oster blenders are excellent budget blenders if you don’t want to spend vitamix bucks. The Versa line that is. 7 year warranty too!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

priznat posted:

Oster blenders are excellent budget blenders if you don’t want to spend vitamix bucks. The Versa line that is. 7 year warranty too!

Total Crushing Technology sounds pretty badass.

edit: apparently that's a Ninja feature. My bad.

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 27, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

GI_Clutch posted:

I'm going to plunder the frozen section tomorrow. I came home from cycling to find out that my wife is not good at freezer Tetris and the door to the upright 14 cubic sq ft freezer had been ajar in the 80 degree garage for over an hour. Needless to say, stuff wasn't really that frozen any more.

I mean, a slight temperature excursion (outer layers thaw a bit, inner layers still frozen won't do much more than give the outer layers some freezerburn when you pull them back down to temp. Throwing it all away seems like a bit of an overreaction to leaving the door open for an hour, even in an 80 degree garage.

if you want to try and save it, you could also make as much as possible of it into actual food and then vacuum pack and freeze that instead. Shove as much in the fridge as you can, let it defrost, and start cooking as many meals in parallel as you can (stovetop, oven, and crockpot). Turn it into basic staples like roast pork and fajita/carnitas meat and poo poo that you can either eat directly or throw into other dishes as ingredients. Think of it as a subsidy for the purchase of a vacuum packer from the 'co if you don't already own one (they are fantastic for dealing with costco sized portions of cheese/meat/etc).

Related note, I saw chest freezers for the first time in five months - only three left in stock. I bought myself a second 7 cu ft freezer so now I have one for my film and one for my food. We are moving into another COVID peak, more freezer capacity is nice to have.

Upright freezers are probably more convenient for accessing food (freezer tetris with a chest freezer loving sucks), but when you open the door, all the dense cold air falls out of the freezer, and the front door seals are not the world's most efficient heat insulators. The nice thing about chest freezers is they "cup" the cold air, and they are fully insulated on 5 sides. If you are in a power outage situation, they tend to hold cold a lot better than uprights. You can very easily let a chest freezer go 24h+ before anything even starts to thaw. An 8 hour outage is ez even with no generator. There are places that get a fair amount of brownouts/etc so that might be something to think about.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 27, 2020

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I don't understand buying a $400 blender when I can buy 10 $40 blenders.

Also I don't blend much and haven't ever had a Blender die on me, so I never understood an expensive blender at all but I spend too much on tools that I barely see the difference in so I don't judge.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

StormDrain posted:

I don't understand buying a $400 blender when I can buy 10 $40 blenders.

Also I don't blend much and haven't ever had a Blender die on me, so I never understood an expensive blender at all but I spend too much on tools that I barely see the difference in so I don't judge.

Yeah I agree.

Like I said, what I've seen in most reviews is that food processors and blenders mostly seem to not last past 5 years or so, these days. Kind of tough to talk myself into dropping $400 on a loving blender, you can replace a $100 blender three times for that.

I looked for that mixer at the store in-town (much more well-to-do) and they were loving gone. Saw the blender and the food processor were on sale which is why I was asking. I have seen a LOT of mixed reviews for blenders and food processors.

I guess if I get one from Costco and it burns out in a year or two then I can always return it.

The fancy in-town store was out of the oxo pops but I got 2 sets at the suburban one earlier this week. They were down to the bottom layer of the pallet though - only 4 left. I'm sure they'll restock but the kitchenaid mixer and the oxo pops are clearly hot.

Not entirely digging the mix of weirdly tall containers in the oxo pop set though. I was planning to use it for bulk ingredient storage, less weirdly tall containers and more bulk containers would be nice. It's Costco, cater to your market lol.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 27, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Pennywise the Frown posted:

omg I'd be a fat piece of poo poo (more) if I could get a Costco dog online.

ah yes a 1.50 hot dog

(12 dollars after fees)

Fritzler posted:

I don't drink soda so I always feel like the hot dog w/ drink is a waste even though its still a good deal! I mainly get italian sausage because I trick myself into thinking it is healthy with peppers and onions on top.

where the hell you get an italian sausage option

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Alan Smithee posted:

ah yes a 1.50 hot dog

(12 dollars after fees)

where the hell you get an italian sausage option

Come to sunny Joisey, we're the best, capiche?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i cant even imagine the people watching at jersey costco let alone walmart lol

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I got a lot of Costco commentary today I forgot about.

There was, I think a father daughter pair but maybe a husband wife, speaking a foreign language I don't know. Both with facemasks and face shields which was great. Not great, he was pushing the cart by holding the side of the cart and they were talking and walking slowly. So they were taking up the entire aisle. They fortunately felt my pressure and moved on but cmon, you're being super careful but also unaware of how you're making distancing impossible? Just push the cart from behind and move along.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
dadreport: my dad tipped me off to check THD (total harmonic distortion, basically frequency noise from the plain 120 hz sine wave) and the firman generators have problems (while I was looking at the 7500W one, they have others too). There are reports it'll run stuff like freezers, but things like UPSs won't charge (and probably powersupplies hopefully, cause hugely oscillating voltage is terrible for most things).

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Paul MaudDib posted:

dadreport: my dad tipped me off to check THD (total harmonic distortion, basically frequency noise from the plain 120 hz sine wave) and the firman generators have problems (while I was looking at the 7500W one, they have others too). There are reports it'll run stuff like freezers, but things like UPSs won't charge (and probably powersupplies hopefully, cause hugely oscillating voltage is terrible for most things).

Nice, but did you get a dog and drink (with refil) for $1.50?

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

Paul MaudDib posted:

Generators last a long-rear end time (you can easily keep one for 20 years if you maintain it and don't actually need to use it often), best recommendation is to get one you know you'll be able to get parts for (at least for the engine). THD usually isn't an issue, as pretty much all your normal electronics are rectifying it to DC with voltage regulation and your other appliances mostly don't care (toaster, etc.). It would have to be total poo poo to not be useful in an emergency. Definitely don't go nuts finding one that makes perfect power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I'm going to Costco today.