Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I saw an offer from Rockstar if you linked your account with Twitch Prime you'd get goodies including $1k of in game money and discounts on a few items. I don't have Twitch Prime but there was a free 30 day trial so I activated that, and then linked accounts and now I'm collecting the benefits.

Even $1k will go quickly so I will probably just save it all, but if I can activate the Trader role before my trial expires I can get a bunch of free role XP.

EDIT: Got a pump shotgun for $160!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
IIRC that gives you a bit of gold too.

Do not do long deliveries. That game mode loving sucks and the extra reward is a total pittance for how much of a headache it is.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

skooma512 posted:

Buying clothes from the catalog sucks because I can't see how it looks on me.
You can, there's a button that switches to a view of you wearing it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Arglebargle III posted:

Sad that Arthur dies mainly because I wanted to see the depressed blond lunatic gunslinger power couple become a reality.

Finally finished the game after I think something like 220 hours. What a ride! I guess I agree with criticisms that the second half of the game isn't as good as the first half and that the controls are clunky and frustrating, but the narrative blew me away. This is without a doubt the best Western prestige TV drama ever. If HBO picked up Red Dead Redemption and just did the plot of RDR2 they'd easily have two seasons of content to adapt.

Micah beating Arthur to death in S2E9 would be the biggest TV gut punch since Game of Thrones season 5.

I guess that leads seamlessly to this question: which Arthur death scene do you guys prefer?

As far as endings, I feel like going back to help John is the "right" ending for the story, but goddamn if I don't love having Arthur go march off to his inevitable death to try and settle things, and most importantly cut Micah up real good.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Anyone play this on PC? This game runs like absolute rear end on my computer on the lowest settings, intermittent lag spikes with crackling audio. I'm pretty sure I'm within the system requirements. I sort of fixed the audio by switching to a higher sample rate, but it only lasts temporarily. My processor is a little old, an i5-4670k, but it doesn't appear to be the issue, and my Geforce 1070 does fine with other games. I've scoured the internet and it seems like I'm not the only one with issues, but I can't find a solution. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue or has any ideas.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I watched a two part YouTube video about graphics settings, and this is what I've been using on my "old" system with good results. (i7-4790K, GTX 970, 8 gigs of RAM)

STANDARD

Texture quality: ULTRA
Anisotropic filtering: 16
Lighting quality: MEDIUM
Global illumination: HIGH
Shadow quality: HIGH
Far shadow quality: HIGH
SSAO: ULTRA
Reflection quality: MEDIUM
Mirror quality: ULTRA
Water quality: MEDIUM
Volumetrics: MEDIUM
Particle quality: ULTRA
Tesselation quality: ULTRA
TAA temporal anti aliasing: MEDIUM
FXAA: OFF
MSAA: OFF

ADVANCED
Near volumetric resolution: LOW
Far volumetric resolution: MED
Volumetric lighting quality: HIGH
Unlocked volumetric raymarch resolution: OFF on older hardware
Particle lighting quality: MED
Soft shadows: HIGH
Grass shadows: MED
Long shadows: ON
Full resolution SS ambient occ: OFF
Water refraction: MED
Water reflections: HIGH
Water physics: HALF
TAA sharpening: FULL
Motion blur: OFF
Reflection MSAA: X2
Geometry LOD: 3 out 5 bars
Grass LOD: 4 out of 10
Tree quality: HIGH
Parllax occlusion mapping quality: ULTRA
Decal quality: ULTRA
Fur quality: HIGH

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

I guess that leads seamlessly to this question: which Arthur death scene do you guys prefer?

I didn't even consider going back for the money. That's not what would've been Arthur's priorities considering he had been absolving debts and handing out money before his death

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Alhazred posted:

I didn't even consider going back for the money. That's not what would've been Arthur's priorities considering he had been absolving debts and handing out money before his death

not if you play as low honour Arthur who still thinks he can get out west and ride out his sickness :baduk:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Professorjuggalo posted:

not if you play as low honour Arthur who still thinks he can get out west and ride out his sickness :baduk:

Playing as low honor Arthur seems like the worst way to play the game. Sidequest gives you honor for example, so to achieve low honor you have to voluntarily lock yourself out of a big portion of the game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Losing honor is so stupidly easy that a single big robbery attempt gone wrong can undo in-game days worth of doing work that raises your honor. You can literally do all the sidequest and still have 300 negative honor just because you play the game like you're actually a bandit.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The money is such a dumb incentive because the whole point of the last act is that nothing Arthur can do from that point on can be for his personal gain because terminal illness makes him not long for this world anyway.

The real motivation for the other ending is getting to gently caress up Micah.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Alhazred posted:

Playing as low honor Arthur seems like the worst way to play the game. Sidequest gives you honor for example, so to achieve low honor you have to voluntarily lock yourself out of a big portion of the game.

Sounds fun for a second playthrough though. I took the advice of someone in this thread (I can't remember who) who suggested to greet twice and antagonize once, in order to set people up for zingers, and its fuckin hysterical. I want to post some of them but I feel like its better to find them on your own, here's one in a spoiler tag just in case: "Hey mister!" "Hey." "You got a kind face." "Uh, thanks." "The kind i'd like to PUNCH" Then if people get pissed at me I hogtie them and say some quip as I leave them lying in the dirt, something like "Enjoy the peace and quiet!" The best part is talking poo poo to the sheriff, me and Sheriff Malloy in Valentine are always goin' at it. What happens if you kill Sheriff Malloy? Is he replaced with a new one? I'm scared to find out

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Can you only buy Missouri Fox Trotters/Turkomans in singleplayer or are there places in the wild you can find them? I really want a Gold Turkoman.

I got mine thanks to a bug. There is a lady who's horse dies and she asks you for a ride. She has a Missouri Fox Trotter and in my game it was bugged and still alive. I climbed on it, gave it the horse medecine and got myself a free horse.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

mycot posted:

The money is such a dumb incentive because the whole point of the last act is that nothing Arthur can do from that point on can be for his personal gain because terminal illness makes him not long for this world anyway.

The real motivation for the other ending is getting to gently caress up Micah.

The music going Bow bow bow as Arthur screams "Dutch! Michah!" is loving moving. It means hes either gonna take out those fuckers or steal thier money just to throw it away because gently caress them or hes gonna die trying.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Yeah even if low honour isn’t canon and it’s a shorter play through it’s still worth it for all the extra poo poo you wouldn’t have seen (and Arthur going back for the money is insanely powerful) plus it’s more fun to do a 100% file with low honour

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I took a very long ride out to Madam Nazar under the misconception that the collector bag cost $10. Whoops. Still $4 short.

Thanks to the Switch Prime deal the table for Trader only costs $10. Would it be a bad idea to get that and work my way back up for the collector bag?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Collector will make you far more money and XP than trader.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Yeah, if you only can afford one, go with collector.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I made about $30k in the month they did rolling collector bonuses

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've been keeping up with the challenges so I'll tough it out until I get that $15! I just want to get a role started to add a bit of flavor to things, but overall am still enjoying myself. This game is so huge and beautiful.

EDIT: A bit confused by PvP. I was accidentally in Offensive mode and someone killed me. I respawned, switched to Defensive and a few minutes later ran into that same player who was still bright red. I killed him, and got a hostility penalty and now I was bright red. Other people started hunting me. I wound up on foot, at night, in the fog, watching a bright red dot tracking me down. Somehow I got the drop on them and killed them, and got a murder notice.

So now I'm bright red and no matter where I go another bright red person is on me in no time, and if I defend myself my hostility stays pegged. I thought that bright red people were fair game.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 29, 2020

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Red and blue are just markers for "offensive" and "defensive" modes. If they're not hostile, shooting first will make *your* hostility go up, counts as a crime, and takes you out of defensive IIRC. (This is why you'll sometimes see folks shooting near you, to get you to go hostile.) (Standard griefing, as opposed to "explode you until you die, keep doing so until bored or you quit" modmenu shitbirds.)

Red markers also show from a longer distance, so you can try to avoid them if you choose. If you want to see them flip from blue to red, do a distant delivery. :suicide: (Need to be doing the Trader role for that.)

Collector does pay out faster than Trader, but until you can afford the shovel and metal detector, you're limited to pickup items, which are mostly cards. Buy the shovel before the detector, because finding dig sites without being able to dig is kinda :derp:.

Last night was interesting. Did a supply run, traded a gator skin for a wagon, got back to camp... and it'd gone invisible. :smith: However, it did complete, which usually fails when camp is fuxx0red.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I logged back in and tried to do some activities that might reduce my hostility level. I petted, brushed and fed my horse. I picked herbs. I hunted some birds. I kept an eye out for player dots on the radar.

I got pounced on by someone who instead of shooting me roped me, I broke out, got tackled and roped again, and he was standing there with what looked like a molotov cocktail. I broke free and he blew me up.

I respawned, and rode away from the local roads but got shot at long distance by another vigilante and dragged by my horse.

I respawned, went up to the top of a bluff, spent more time taking care of my horse and picking herbs and got a notice that I hard been targeted for assassination, so I logged off.

EDIT: I respawned without my hat this is BULLSHIT :supaburn:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 29, 2020

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Dick Trauma posted:

I logged back in and tried to do some activities that might reduce my hostility level. I petted, brushed and fed my horse. I picked herbs. I hunted some birds. I kept an eye out for player dots on the radar.

I got pounced on by someone who instead of shooting me roped me, I broke out, got tackled and roped again, and he was standing there with what looked like a molotov cocktail. I broke free and he blew me up.

I respawned, and rode away from the local roads but got shot at long distance by another vigilante and dragged by my horse.

I respawned, went up to the top of a bluff, spent more time taking care of my horse and picking herbs and got a notice that I hard been targeted for assassination, so I logged off.

EDIT: I respawned without my hat this is BULLSHIT :supaburn:

Your hat came off in the last session. You should be able to re-equip it off your horse, or from your clothing locker at camp.

Check your bounty - if it's high enough, players will be alerted. ($10 is where you get NPC Bounty Hunters coming after you.) If you can afford half of it, you can pay it off at your goodies locker in camp - full price if you go to a post office.

Hostility goers down over time, as best I can tell - if you can keep from getting into fights, it'll eventually drop. You may wish to spawn at camp and *immediately* fast-travel to Colter, and gently caress around up where very few people seem to go unless they're doing dailies or chasing collectibles/bounties. Between bears and wolves, this may be the more deadly option. :unsmigghh:

The "Assassination" thing is probably a Free-Roam mission from one of the sketchier NPCs - The Boy and that one dude in St Denis both gave me assassinations and posse hits, and the targets get alerted. (I know the last posse hit, those dudes were some runnin' motherfuckers before I even got close, and you got the notice, so...)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The extra 1000 bux was nice and I got a bunch of Trader XP I didn't really need but it's good to have.

There was even a deer herd near my spawn.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I managed to get to a quiet part of the map away from roads and my hostility finally dropped to Medium and I could re-enable Defensive mode. I celebrated by trying out my new fishing pole and snatching a couple of perch from a stream!

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Dick Trauma posted:

I managed to get to a quiet part of the map away from roads and my hostility finally dropped to Medium and I could re-enable Defensive mode. I celebrated by trying out my new fishing pole and snatching a couple of perch from a stream!

YeeYay!haw!

:clint:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Playing AssCreed: Origins and it's actually kind of nice that I don't constantly have to worry about keeping up Bayek's stats or forming an emotional bond to my camel because I named and trained it.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Hmmm, new experience last night. Run around eating herbs for the daily, call my horse, start riding to go kill something for parts... and I get a ding for "Horse Theft".

<blink> <look at HORF> "Yup, mine." :wtf:

Keep going, go to change longarm - and my onboard weapons... *aren't*. Nor my clothes. "Ahh, Rockstar."

gently caress off, kill a buffalo and load up the skin, head back to camp, and oh hey, a deer right nearby! Dismount after the shot, go get deer, horse has despawned and the buffalo pelt is hanging in midair. :wtc:

Go give Cripps his tributes, call horse, yup, my horse, fully loaded with my poo poo, ride off.

*DING* "Horse Theft."

Happened again in Strawberry doing that daily, but not after doing one local and two long deliveries. (In Valentine with 10 goods, two randos murdered all the enemies before I could even get parked and run to the combat. THANKS GUYS! :wave:)

I suspect fuckery. At least it wasn't more than obnoxious - uncontrolled ragdolling, fire tornadoes, rains of cougars, et cetera.

(It's a top-tier Bounty Hunter monster, taller at the shoulder than my female character, and I've heard that sometimes the BH license will disappear, much like the shine shack, but I shouldn't think that would affect the already-purchased glue component. :iiam:)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

This morning I chose to start at my camp, but when I arrived it looked different than what I expected. There were features I don't have yet, like a fast travel point, and I couldn't interact with anything. My camp was actually pretty far away from where I was. Is that normal?

P.S. There's a catalog sale today and gun oil is free!

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Dick Trauma posted:

This morning I chose to start at my camp, but when I arrived it looked different than what I expected. There were features I don't have yet, like a fast travel point, and I couldn't interact with anything. My camp was actually pretty far away from where I was. Is that normal?

Yes it’s “normal”. I’ve literally loaded into someone else’s wagon in their camp stuck in the geometry. It’s only slightly better than your camp just not spawning.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I'm sure you folks have fun with it but I swear STALKER sounds more stable than RDO :stare:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Morter posted:

I'm sure you folks have fun with it but I swear STALKER sounds more stable than RDO :stare:

they took it out of beta too early

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Dick Trauma posted:

Gun oil is *always* free if you loot hard enough. :ninja:

Yeah, what happens is the game attempts to spawn you at what it remembers as your last campsite - but if for whatever reason your camp has despawned/Cripps has packed up and hosed off, you still drop there. Even if someone else's camp has set up there. You usually can still use the campfire, but that's about it, and other players may be assholes about it. <shrug>

This can also happen during normal play, and not just on login spawn. I once spawned in, restocked from the gioodie crate, and before I could get to Cripps' table to check my production, the camp swapped to someone else's. :catstare: Confused the poo poo out of me for a minute.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

With the gun sale I decided to upgrade a little bit and bought a Schofield to replace my starter revolver. The other repeaters, rifles and shotguns available to me didn't appear to be slam-dunks so I left them alone.

I enter every competition that comes up (for the gold) and even in the PvP ones I'm not totally useless. Although I came in last in King of the Castle I actually had more kills and fewer deaths than a couple of people, mostly due to being sneaky with my shotgun and using cover as much as possible.

I also got to be in my first fishing competition and came in second! Two people somehow caught 0 fish. Not sure how that's possible.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If you ever want advice, let me know.

Even as an assisted aim player, pistols were mostly useless to me. I changed them out for those mini shotguns so I didn’t need to carry a shotgun in one of my large slots. Then put a bolt and rolling block in there. All ranges covered.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/Jimbot256/status/1278362052613017602

Why yes, my friend and I spent about a hundred dollars taking a bunch of posse pictures. These were the dumbest of the bunch.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

the best way to play online is not worrying about min maxing. just use whatever you think is cool

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Is the animal spawn situation fixed for PS4? I haven't played in a few months and I'm getting the itch to log back in even though there hasn't been any updates.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

They haven't really fixed anything in the last few months. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Today has challenges that are right up my alley. Catch fish, cook fish, find some vanilla beans... all of which oblige me to travel to different parts of the map. I'm exploring the swamp for the first time and getting bitten by all sorts of very friendly animals.