Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Wait the Vita still has releases? In 2020? Somehow the thread title stays relevant even over 5 years later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Started playing Raging Loop. It's pretty drat good. It's literally just a real game of Werewolf, and the main character isn't the ultra passive blando we usually get in VNs. He literally dies because he's by default, too proactive.

Good drat game.

E: Just finished the first route. Really curious about the game now. How on earth is it going to remain interesting when a majority of the roles have been revealed?

E2: oh my god it's just straight up re zero now

:allears:

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 21, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MegaZeroX posted:

Wait the Vita still has releases? In 2020? Somehow the thread title stays relevant even over 5 years later

Yeah Utawarerumono was a couple weeks back, too

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ripley posted:

I can't quite believe it, but Sekai Project just sent out backer codes for the European Vita edition of Root Double, three and a quarter years after the 'estimated delivery' date.

Genuinely never thought I'd see the day.

Wait does this mean it's getting an EU release at last?

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Wait does this mean it's getting an EU release at last?

I assume so - they haven't said anything official that I can find. It sounds like half the backer keys aren't even working for people in different parts of Europe, so :shrug:

https://twitter.com/SekaiGames_/status/1274043081726267395

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Root Double is fantastic, so I really hope you guys are getting it.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Is root letter any good?

Also I’m at the third feast in raging loop. It’s gotten very good.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

numerrik posted:

Is root letter any good?

It's an adventure game with exploration and options to examine stuff and at any given point in the story there is only one exact correct thing to do. It's terrible please don't buy it.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Nep-Nep posted:

It's an adventure game with exploration and options to examine stuff and at any given point in the story there is only one exact correct thing to do. It's terrible please don't buy it.

That's pretty standard for Japanese adventure games, though. Even Phoenix Wright has its roots in that kind of gameplay loop.

Is the story interesting? Good sense of mystery/intrigue and whatnot?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I love Phoenix Wright and other ADVs but in a lot of those you pick something wrong or examine something not relevant at this precise moment and usually you at least get some bit of interesting flavor text, but not in Root Letter. Root Letter is just bland, and not an interesting mystery, in part because at various points you make responses to letters, and your responses throughout the course of the game determine what ending you get, which means the explanation for all the game's mysteries changes based on your responses, with there being no underlying structural reason for this, at least that I was able to process.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

edit: Never mind, I'm an idiot who confused root letter with root double. I have literally never heard a single good thing about Root Letter. It apparently sold really well in Japan for some reason though.

nabo
Oct 23, 2010
Heya all, any words on Fatal Twelve ?? I heard it's good, but I also hear very little about it so...

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

nabo posted:

Heya all, any words on Fatal Twelve ?? I heard it's good, but I also hear very little about it so...

It was okay, I guess?
The story was interesting enough, but I didn't really like how the writing relied on hiding information from the reader (both via convenient amnesia or just not telling you things the characters know), coincidences and characters behaving irrationally, to move the plot along.

There's a demo on steam, so give that a try if you want.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Since people are asking about VNs, does anyone have any thoughts about Spirit Hunter:Death Mark? its in my wishlist for some reason, but I don't remember why I added it.

Snoring
Oct 21, 2008
Is it possible to view the JP Vita store on a web browser? I can't get the google to bring anything useful up.

e: I just found out that a NEW GAME! vita/ps4 thing exists and I want to check it out but I'm too lazy to charge up my old vita and make a jp account.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

nabo posted:

If you like girl/girl relationships but want a game that focuses on plot/action/mystery instead of schoolgirls sighing about their feelings, get it right away because that's sadly rare.

There's lots of little surprises to learn as you go along, especially about other people (there's a decent-sized cast). I definitely enjoyed my time with it but the details are falling out of my memory by now. I wouldn't call it a great masterpiece that people absolutely must play unless see-above, but it was fun.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Since people are asking about VNs, does anyone have any thoughts about Spirit Hunter:Death Mark? its in my wishlist for some reason, but I don't remember why I added it.

It's not bad, basically a series of loosely connected ghost stories. Writings okay and it's spooky enough, there's also some 'gameplay' sections where you have to figure out how to exorcise the ghosts which can be annoyingly not obvious. I liked it enough to play it and the sadly not as good sequel.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Just finished raging loop. I liked it a lot. I read the revelations for a bit. I think I’ll save that stuff for a revisit, because it mostly feels almost like director’s commentary. it’s just interjections and asides meant to remove mystery and explain things in a mundane and logical way. It’s probably best if you give the game time to breath before going through again, and read it again in order from the start, for it to make the most sense.

E: What’s the consensus on Daedalus: The Awakening of Golden Jazz?

numerrik fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 26, 2020

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Anyone read Key's Summer Pockets? I read Little Busters last year and enjoyed it a fair bit. Considering grabbing this one during the sale.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Root Double is on sale on steam. That one is good right? I get all the VNs with Root in their names mixed up.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Just started Raging Loop. Already want to punch the protag in the face, but I'm hoping he'll develop as it goes.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I picked that one up a few hours ago, will give my thoughts once I play some. Heads up that if you're on windows 10, there's been an unaddressed bug for a year that locks you out of the DLC chapter without hex fuckery (and I'm not even sure if that works).

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Root Double is on sale on steam. That one is good right? I get all the VNs with Root in their names mixed up.

Root Double is excellent, yes. Root Letter is the one people were saying is crap.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

It's not bad, basically a series of loosely connected ghost stories. Writings okay and it's spooky enough, there's also some 'gameplay' sections where you have to figure out how to exorcise the ghosts which can be annoyingly not obvious. I liked it enough to play it and the sadly not as good sequel.

hmmm, thanks for the info. I'll probably get it during the sale.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Anyone read Key's Summer Pockets? I read Little Busters last year and enjoyed it a fair bit. Considering grabbing this one during the sale.

I picked it up because it was on sale as well. I'm 2 routes in (out of 4 I think?) and it's just a pretty standard Key game. If you've read Little Busters (or any other Key stuff) you should know what to expect from it. For something that was on sale, I'm enjoying enough, but I'd rank it pretty far behind Little Busters (but fwiw I really loved Little Busters).

The steam version does some weird font related bugs, and may complain about missing jp fonts even though it's the english release, and I've had it crash in some of the minigames a few times, but it's nothing that would make it unplayable. Also there is an extended version that's out in japan now w/more routes, so I guess maybe consider if you want to wait and see if that gets localized as well?

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

gegi posted:

If you like girl/girl relationships but want a game that focuses on plot/action/mystery instead of schoolgirls sighing about their feelings, get it right away because that's sadly rare.

There's lots of little surprises to learn as you go along, especially about other people (there's a decent-sized cast). I definitely enjoyed my time with it but the details are falling out of my memory by now. I wouldn't call it a great masterpiece that people absolutely must play unless see-above, but it was fun.

That was my main interest in it too, if you have any other recommendations like that I'd love to hear

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

That was my main interest in it too, if you have any other recommendations like that I'd love to hear

Aoishiro if you can find a copy and the patch since it was sadly never licensed. You can still buy the game downloadably though. Unlike the other one in the series, which is much more complicated to get hold of and the fan translation was never finished afaik.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Raging Loop

I see what they did there :shittydog:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Liking Root Double so far, I picked the route everyone says is boring at first cause I played the first 90 minutes or so of A a long time ago, and even the buildup here isn't bad. It's not lighting my world on fire, but the characters are fun and interesting.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Raging Loop ending question: why did getting dunked on cause Rikako to lose all her spider mojo

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

Raging Loop ending question: why did getting dunked on cause Rikako to lose all her spider mojo

because she made a deal with somebody who doesn't exist, due to messing up the protagonist's name..

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

right, that much is obvious

how that actually causes the whole plan to fail seems less clear

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Play Revelation Mode and/or read the fifth Extra story.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Okay, kinda weird question: I've twice started Umineko with buddies, and both times they kind of waffled and half-assed and eventually stalled, despite really liking it. I've gotten about halfway through Chapter 7 years ago, but now one of them is coming back and is gonna start up again. Which is cool, but only partially relevant to the actual question: Is there anything in Ciconia that would spoil Umineko in any way? Vague discussion of characters, that sort of thing? Feel free to spoiler your answer.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

No

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

cool

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hwurmp posted:

right, that much is obvious

how that actually causes the whole plan to fail seems less clear

because he gets to ask her to please maybe dont do spider mojo

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
That's only a partial answer - Revelation Mode spoilers Haruaki's ploy makes her plan fail, but she would still have her spider powers if not for Meiko, who is some sort of supernatural powers devouring experiment and takes advantage of the confusion caused by Haruaki to literally eat the spider.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Off the top of my head, there's Ne no Kami, Sound of Drop, and The Shadows of Pygmalion (in more or less descending order of yuri intensity), although I'm pretty sure I've recommended all of those to you already anyway. They're all deeply discounted in the current Steam sale, though, so now's a good time to pick any of them up.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Thank you gegi and thuryl! I’ll check them out :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

John Lee posted:

Okay, kinda weird question: I've twice started Umineko with buddies, and both times they kind of waffled and half-assed and eventually stalled, despite really liking it. I've gotten about halfway through Chapter 7 years ago, but now one of them is coming back and is gonna start up again. Which is cool, but only partially relevant to the actual question: Is there anything in Ciconia that would spoil Umineko in any way? Vague discussion of characters, that sort of thing? Feel free to spoiler your answer.
The only "recurring" character is a totally different person in a parallel future universe. You could argue that there's a mechanic in Ciconia that references an important and deeply spoilery mechanic in Umineko though and it won't really spoil Umineko, it will just possibly make it more likely to figure out what's going on.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 1, 2020