Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I just ate an anchovy for the first time last night and my life will never be the same. This is almost as life altering as the first time I masturbated while watching Street Sharks at the tender age of 13. Tinned seafood addiction will no doubt reduce me to a life of poverty and crime within months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I've been loving Korean salted fermented shrimp recently (they might be technically krill).

Fry them a bit and they pretty much completely dissolve into a super flavorful shrimp paste. Pretty salty so you need to be careful, but I've been using them in place of salt whenever I make curry or rice and beans, and they own.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

cenotaph posted:

I've had the boneless/skinless KOs and I agree that it's a lot like tuna. It's also extremely close to the wild planet mackerel. It's the tiny tots/dual layers I find bland. The only other KOs I've had are the Mediterraneans but I'm not really a fan of herbs de provence. My store has a limited selection but I want to try others. Oh, I've had the KO mackerel, too. Great texture.

I'm shopping around because I used to buy wild planet dines all the time but a while ago they really changed. There's a lot of gray and brown sludge stuck to the tin and the fish are drier and slightly bitter. I assume all the sludge is fat that has rendered out, hence the dryness. Still OK for mixing up with mayo or making puttanesca but not for eating plain. Plus the cans are a bitch to clean out for the recycling bin.
If you can find King Oscar Crosspack they're a little larger and fishier than the two layer or seasoned KOs and might be what you're looking for. More rarely I think there's single layer in olive oil (not even extra virgin) if you want to munch the bones and whatnot.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Just won a pack of KO dines and probably a coupon off their Facebook page again. We're back in business, dads.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I just ate an anchovy for the first time last night and my life will never be the same. This is almost as life altering as the first time I masturbated while watching Street Sharks at the tender age of 13. Tinned seafood addiction will no doubt reduce me to a life of poverty and crime within months.

skip the downward spiral, steal a boat and a smoker now.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

zedprime posted:

If you can find King Oscar Crosspack they're a little larger and fishier than the two layer or seasoned KOs and might be what you're looking for. More rarely I think there's single layer in olive oil (not even extra virgin) if you want to munch the bones and whatnot.

Cool, thanks.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Mood

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Lhet posted:

I've been loving Korean salted fermented shrimp recently (they might be technically krill).

Fry them a bit and they pretty much completely dissolve into a super flavorful shrimp paste. Pretty salty so you need to be careful, but I've been using them in place of salt whenever I make curry or rice and beans, and they own.

There's a Filipino equivalent called bagoong alamang and that poo poo is strong. The smell is as pungent as its flavor so I have to use it sparingly.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Lazy lady dinner tonight, sardine toast. King Oscar Mediterraneans, mixed with green onion, cilantro, red wine vin, and absolutely excessive amounts of pepper. Might go back for the second tin here in a min, two toasts in and I'm still starving.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

are you drinking enough water with your 'dines?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I've had a large mason jar of water since I got home an hour or so ago, but I've moved onto red wine now because I am a posterchild for an eventual gout diagnosis.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Happy fathers day to me. Best lunch ever today.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

A green future depends on small fish.
Also a green salad.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I hope these forums don't die

If I never again get the chance to say it, Thank you sardine friends.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

isaboo posted:

even in the deepest pits of hell, the light of the 'dine shines.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sardines/

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

isaboo posted:

I learn about this from the goddamned sardine thread

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

I learn about this from the goddamned sardine thread

I learned about 'dines from the goddamned sardine thread

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

The Voice of Labor posted:

It is nice of you to post an other sardines board but a site geared for hyper-monetization and a million little tricks to keep you scrollin and postin just isn't the same

i plan on going back to shouting about canfish at the entrance to an especially filthy alleyway

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Peanut Butler posted:

It is nice of you to post an other sardines board but a site geared for hyper-monetization and a million little tricks to keep you scrollin and postin just isn't the same

i plan on going back to shouting about canfish at the entrance to an especially filthy alleyway

It’s you! You were the guy who constantly left empty tins of bumblebee skinless and boneless dines between my apartment and the gym! Do you want some KOs?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Peanut Butler posted:

cannot wait forever for someone to make a dine thread discord. also after 1/2 an hour of playing with it, I'm not real sure I want to use discord for anything.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah I'm not doin discord or reddit. I've seen breadnroses mentioned a couple times, and we all know what sardines go with.

I've got enough tins saved up in the meantime for the community to figure whether the stink can be wiped from the forums, or if there's an exodus worth following.

eat the dang bones, forever

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

let's do this fish

https://something-waffle.com/showthread.php?tid=22

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

On the one hand reddit, on the other hand spreading the good word.

:coolfish:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

crazypeltast52 posted:

It’s you! You were the guy who constantly left empty tins of bumblebee skinless and boneless dines between my apartment and the gym! Do you want some KOs?

*drinking soybean oil from a can of Mega and letting it cascade down chin; shirt* gimb me th good bones

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I've never posted in this thread before but I got my first cans the other day, so I'm posting now so I can live without regrets.

I got King Oscar boneless/skinless in olive oil and they were nice on some crackers with hot sauce. Kinda like the first time I tried spam: "hey, why do people make such a fuss about this? it isn't that bad." I might pick those up again someday. I couldn't finish my can of King Oscar Mediterranean Style though. Tried hot sauce, tried mustard, tried rinsing off the oil, but just wasn't pleasant. Have yet to try the Wild Planet wild sardines in extra virgin olive oil though, curious to see if it was the skin that turned me off or the flavoring.

Anyway thanks as always for encouraging me to try new things, sardoons :unsmith:

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

As the forums go down in flames I confession that may prove controversial in the 'dine thread:

I like anchovies better

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
I learned about sardines many many years ago from this thread and I haven't looked back since. I realized that I didn't want the forums to die without declaring my undying love of sardines

also is there a 'dine discord yet??

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

kazr posted:

As the forums go down in flames I confession that may prove controversial in the 'dine thread:

I like anchovies better

You're ok with me, friend. Eat 'em.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

kazr posted:

I like anchovies better

Wild Planet White Anchovies are god tier

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Peanut Butler posted:

you gonna create the bnr 'dine thread or do you want me to do it?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Oh, go for it! be sure to post this insanely comprehensive review blog in the OP:
http://mouth-full-of-sardines.blogspot.com/

at the moment you posted that, I was social distance drinking with friends and enjoying a can of Tome olive oil pickle flavor. It was v good but also I was p blitzed on gin so I probably would have eaten anything

goddamn sardines and crackers are the perfect drinkin food

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I found an excellent sardine pasta recipe online about three months ago, and it's quickly become one of my favorite weeknight meals. It's quick, simple, and can easily be modified with extra sardines. I figure if anyone would appreciate sardine scalability it would be this crew.

https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/mediterranean-sardine-lemon-pasta/

I am making this again tonight, and adding artichokes this time to make it a little more substantial.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
'Dines in oil are so versatile in that you can take said oil & make a dressing/sauce with it for salads/pasta.

I'm gonna hit up my nearby Asian grocery store tomorrow as I'm out of fish sauce & I'll pick up more 'done goodness.

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

Ask me about where to find fucking in the Bible!
There's a lot of fancy sardine recipies itt, it's kinda blowing my mind, i only ever have them on toast

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm gonna hit up my nearby Asian grocery store tomorrow as I'm out of fish sauce & I'll pick up more 'done goodness.

where i live, the asian supermarket is the best place to get sardines in general, in the filipino section-

that's where they have all the portuguese fishes like the v good and pretty inexpensive Tome brand; and also the Tropics brand, which is not quite as good, but it's cheap as hell and goes into pastas well (soybean oil tho)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm torn on Tomé brand 'dines. Like I wanna stay all 🇵🇭 but it's C-tier at best. Riga sprats are S-tier but I need to head to the Russian market for those.

I kinda want canned mackerels. I did smoke some when one Asian store had them at $0.99/lb & I stocked up.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

oh hey there already is one, https://breadnroses.net/threads/dining-on-dines.901/

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

kazr posted:

I like anchovies better

I agree, I'm talking about salt-packed 'chovies that I rinse, debone, and then soak in olive oil, garlic, oregano and hot chiles for a few days.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Saw a thing today about radiation levels measured throughout the Baltic Sea, theories about a sunken Russian submarine finally rusting through....

Note to self, don’t buy Sardines from that area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I’ve brought two people who thought they hated sardines into the fold by having them try Seasons skinless and boneless on a triscuit with hot sauce and guacamole. You don’t have to eat the skins and fins to eat healthy tasty fish