Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Sydin posted:

Hey Arnold was way ahead of its time. You have Helga on the Couch which not only has a positive portrayal of mental health but at certain points all but turns to the camera and says "if you're having trouble processing your feelings it's okay to seek help." You have Weighing Harold which is an episode about body positivist. You have The Aptitude Test which takes a justified poo poo on personality tests and says you shouldn't be weighed down but that kind of crap and pursue what you find interesting. Arnold is raised by not just his grandparents but the entire boarding house and this is constantly reinforced as perfectly fine even if it's not a "traditional" family. Everything to do with the coding of Helga's family the horrors of alcoholism and parental abuse.

It's kind of crazy to watch Hey Arnold today and realize it started in the mid 90's. So much of media at the time was casually if not overtly racist, sexist, ableist, homophobic, and transphobic, meanwhile here's Hey Arnold with a consistent message of "it's okay to be who you are, whatever that means."

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of episodes handle some serious topics in a jokey way; the one with Mr Smith the secretive boarding house resident is basically 'What's He Building In There' with a message about how it's perfectly fine for people to be private, and the make-up party where Helga calls out how hosed it up is that a bunch of nine year olds are using anti-ageing skin products. There's a lot of messages about having a functional family and community, respecting each others' differences, and even coping with a dysfunctional upbringing.

I think one of the key things of healthy and unhealthy children's media, and why say, Sesame Street is still loved while Barney is hated, is whether it's actually willing and able to tackle negative feelings and show how they can be dealt with in a healthy way.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of episodes handle some serious topics in a jokey way; the one with Mr Smith the secretive boarding house resident is basically 'What's He Building In There' with a message about how it's perfectly fine for people to be private, and the make-up party where Helga calls out how hosed it up is that a bunch of nine year olds are using anti-ageing skin products. There's a lot of messages about having a functional family and community, respecting each others' differences, and even coping with a dysfunctional upbringing.

I think one of the key things of healthy and unhealthy children's media, and why say, Sesame Street is still loved while Barney is hated, is whether it's actually willing and able to tackle negative feelings and show how they can be dealt with in a healthy way.

Last time I saw a glimpse of sesame street the adult was yelling at grover for exhibiting childish behavior

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It was the only cartoon I've seen that directly featured the Vietnam War, both in the veteran's day episode where Gerald's dad was proud of doing what he could doing the war despite never fighting, and with Mr. Hyunh having been separated from his daughter in those famous pictures of the American evacuation around swarming crowds of refugees. Not really examining the politics of the whole thing, but definitely acknowledging it.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
hey arnold was great, i vote yes to the thread being about hey arnold somehow now. good work everyone

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Angepain posted:

hey arnold was great, i vote yes to the thread being about hey arnold somehow now. good work everyone

Just wait till I post my crossover fic where Arnold and the gang enroll at Hogwarts. There's a pretty good joke about "Football head" not carrying over to Britain that I mercilessly pad out to an entire chapter.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
If you had to hang out with Curly or Eugene, which one would you choose?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Eugene. Curly would stab you in your sleep. Eugene would take a bullet for you albeit accidentally.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Look, it's Buddy Love! And he's going coconuts!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Sometimes my brain blanks and all I can think of is the argument about The Mauve Storm vs. The Dark Avenger

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The first Hey Arnold movie was about the kids having to band together to fight against gentrification.

There was one episode where Helga has to assassinate a parrot that has memorized her love poem to Arnold.

One time, Arnold and Gerold accidentally intercept some kind of organized crime money dropoff.

Oh yeah, off topic, but some parents are gaslighting their daughter into thinking that she's a wizard in order to give her a revelation to atheism.

https://twitter.com/kittynouveau/status/1276249791966720003

Since Arnold's kilt is actually a long flannel shirt, how hot does it get in the summer?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

TheAardvark posted:

Sometimes my brain blanks and all I can think of is Stoop Kid

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

https://twitter.com/kittynouveau/status/1276249791966720003

Since Arnold's kilt is actually a long flannel shirt, how hot does it get in the summer?

According to the creator, Arnold's city is canonically in the Pacific Northwest so not that hot I don't think. I'm not that familliar with area though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I thought the city was New York when I was a kid. It does have a subway, I'm not sure if any PNW cities do?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought the city was New York when I was a kid. It does have a subway, I'm not sure if any PNW cities do?

Its a completely fictional city called Hillview but its an amalgam of Portland (where Criag Bartlett went to college), Seattle (where Craug Bartlett grew up) and Brooklyn (where Craig Bartlett used to live).

I swear hes said its geographically in the PNW on Reddit but I don't know how he would square that with it being a site in the American Revolution.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Its a completely fictional city called Hillview but its an amalgam of Portland (where Criag Bartlett went to college), Seattle (where Craug Bartlett grew up) and Brooklyn (where Craig Bartlett used to live).

I swear hes said its geographically in the PNW on Reddit but I don't know how he would square that with it being a site in the American Revolution.

Yeah, I thought it was a mixup of a few cities. Pretty common with cartoon cities, see Duckburg. It's a pretty convenient way to use exactly the details you want without getting people bugging you, and can broaden appeal.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

This kid is going to be mega hosed up and absolutely despise their parents

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I can't believe we're having a wizard derail in this, the Hey Arnold thread.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I always thought it was explicitly New York, if they mentioned Hillview I assumed that was their borough... drat

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
has any of the extraneous bullshit in harry potter ever covered how people discover or create new spells? werent the weasley twins doing it at some point?

do lovely wizards get recruited in to being spell test dummies for the big spell companies?

please cast "Gigantus Erecticus" while making a jerkoff motion with your wand hand

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

TheAardvark posted:

has any of the extraneous bullshit in harry potter ever covered how people discover or create new spells? werent the weasley twins doing it at some point?

do lovely wizards get recruited in to being spell test dummies for the big spell companies?

please cast "Gigantus Erecticus" while making a jerkoff motion with your wand hand

Pretty sure they just go through a Latin dictionary while waving a wand around and seeing what happens

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Pretty sure they just go through a Latin dictionary while waving a wand around and seeing what happens

i know i wouldn't rest until i had learned to cast space lasers spell

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

SlothfulCobra posted:

It once got hot enough to help induce the youth to riot against a gouging ice cream salesman.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Daikloktos posted:

I always thought it was explicitly New York, if they mentioned Hillview I assumed that was their borough... drat

:same: I always assumed it was NYC. My mind is blown that it's supposed to be psuedo-Portland/Seattle. :psyduck:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
[shrieking shack voice] please read another book

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

ungulateman posted:

[shrieking shack voice] please read another book

Its a series. You can just read the 6 others

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

paragon1 posted:

It once got hot enough to help induce the youth to riot against a gouging ice cream salesman.

I liked the episode where it was revealed he had an extremely lovely home life and childhood and Arnold teaches him how to actually provide a bare-minimum of customer service.

Helga becomes a cop in that episode though which was not cool

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Helga's not cool for most of the show. She's a bully because that's how her father taught her to deal with the world. It's only rarely that something better shines through.

Although we are constantly assailed with her inner monologue about how conflicted she is about what she's doing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Helga's family is interesting. They clearly aren't entirely negative, not to the point of active abuse anyway, but Bob is clearly thoughtless, domineering and thinks being an arrogant bully is the only way to make it in the world, while his wife is a checked-out alcoholic. Helga's treated as an afterthought most of the time.

They seem to be a pretty clear case of boomer parents- they've got all the things they're supposed to; a profitable business, a comfortable lifestyle, a successful child, and don't spare a moment to think about why they're not happy. Helga's still just dealing with these contradictions, since no one's sparing a moment to take care of her, she just figures this is how it's supposed to be- but then Arnold comes along, and he's happy, he's positive and supportive of people around him.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

TheAardvark posted:

Snape invented his "cut a motherfuckers" spell in wizard high school but I don't think the books talk about that process.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I've just checked Craig Bartlett's social media accounts and can't find a single rant about how rights for trans people are a danger to women. Weird.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Isn't Helga's mom an alcoholic?

There's also the added joke that Bob's fortune is in beepers, which at the time, just seemed kinda stupid even when they had a valid purpose, but now are just entirely irrelevant.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Snape invented his "cut a motherfuckers" spell in wizard high school but I don't think the books talk about that process.

You have to be smart or clever or in some way good at magic to make your own spells, and we never hear about how it works because Harry kinda sucks at magic and just sticks to a few basic tricks he learned early on.

Also:

Zeether posted:

There's a vinyl Hey Arnold soundtrack coming out and even though I don't own a record player I'd totally buy it just because it's been a long time coming.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Helga's mom certainly drinks a lot of 'smoothies'. One of those things that is clearly meant to sneak past the censors but be obvious in hindsight. A lot of 90s cartoons did that.

Beepers are apparently still a thing for medical workers and firefighters. Makes sense that Bob rode the wave when they first got useful, opinions vary on whether he'd be able to keep himself afloat once they become obsolete. (or at least no longer in active use) He is shown testing out other experimental technology, though it's mostly crap, he's at least trying.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Isn't Helga's mom an alcoholic?

There's also the added joke that Bob's fortune is in beepers, which at the time, just seemed kinda stupid even when they had a valid purpose, but now are just entirely irrelevant.

Yeah they pointed that out and made fun of that a lot in the Netflix movie.

I didn't like it very much it got too generic movie plot when Hey Arnolds biggest strength has always been down-to-earth stories but the beeper jokes were great.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Helga's mom is constantly slurring and falling asleep. There are a lot of really dark looks into Helga's home life where neither of her parents really care that much about her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

One of the sadly common dynamics for parental favouritism; when the older child is the status symbol and the younger ones are just there, likely accidents. They barely even bothered with a different name 'Helga' is derived from 'Olga'. (or maybe the other way around)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Angepain posted:

I've just checked Craig Bartlett's social media accounts and can't find a single rant about how rights for trans people are a danger to women. Weird.

Hes been sending people digitally signed pics of Gerald with Black Lives Matter written on it if they donate to the Equal Justice Initiative.

I think its sweet

https://twitter.com/JW11NG/status/1277264409564450817?s=19

https://twitter.com/Azure129/status/1277230790619914243?s=19

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Didn't Hermione invent a compass spell in the fourth book?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
My headcanon is that to invent something new you have to have a strong affinity for magic and just try really hard and say something cool and reality eventually just gives up resisting and accepts it as how things now work. The bigger gently caress you to physics the harder it is to do.

The words said are more or less just focal points for your will too which is why you can learn to just want it to work extra hard and not say the word.

Edit: also now I gotta watch Hey Arnold! to keep up with the Harry Potter thread, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1277596002892079104?s=21

I like how Rowling being uninvolved is a bullet point