Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

feedmyleg posted:

It's a movie with huge tonal swings from goofy to gritty. I want to watch either one, but not both. Would've been far better as the Total Recall sequel it started life as.

Total Recall sequel??? :eyepop:

Lechtansi posted:

Fun fact: total recall and minority report were both originally written by Phillip k dick. He famously wrote brilliant short stories that Hollywood continues to make into lovely films (paycheck anyone?). Turns out it’s pretty hard to make short form, high concept stories into feature length films.

I saw Paycheck in the theater and actually enjoyed it. I'll have to look into what else Philip K. Dick has done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lechtansi posted:

Fun fact: total recall and minority report were both originally written by Phillip k dick. He famously wrote brilliant short stories that Hollywood continues to make into lovely films (paycheck anyone?). Turns out it’s pretty hard to make short form, high concept stories into feature length films.

Let's be fair, the extremely faithful film of Radio Free Albemuth was not any better, though of course A Scanner Darkly was both faithful and brilliant

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

Total Recall sequel??? :eyepop:

Yep. Quaid was going to get a transfer to precrime. The script went into development hell and eventually evolved into what we got.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BisterdDave posted:

I saw Paycheck in the theater and actually enjoyed it. I'll have to look into what else Philip K. Dick has done.
I would recommend a short story collection. His ideas seem to excel in that format; even some of his own longer form stuff doesn’t quite expand on the ideas very well.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

feedmyleg posted:

Yep. Quaid was going to get a transfer to precrime. The script went into development hell and eventually evolved into what we got.

That article mentions we almost got a David Cronenberg version of Total Recall too. I'm not sure if I'd prefer it over what we got, but that also sounds like it could've been great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

david_a posted:

I would recommend a short story collection. His ideas seem to excel in that format; even some of his own longer form stuff doesn’t quite expand on the ideas very well.

A film version of Flow My Tears the Policeman Said was in production 11 years ago, but never surfaced :(

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That article mentions we almost got a David Cronenberg version of Total Recall too. I'm not sure if I'd prefer it over what we got, but that also sounds like it could've been great.

This goes into the story a bit more, and also cites Tales from Development Hell which is a book I constantly see cited as the source of fascinating stories.

The precogs were also Mars mutants, which I think is pretty rad.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

precision posted:

A film version of Flow My Tears the Policeman Said was in production 11 years ago, but never surfaced :(

I just read this not too long ago and really enjoyed it. This would make an awesome movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
PKD was an excellent concept and world-building guy but it’s basically impossible to do straight adaptations of his stuff because so many of his stories are built on the internal paranoia and uncertainty that his protagonists feel about their lives. A Scanner Darkly is probably the closest we’ll ever get to a good 1:1 PKD adaptation.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I have been watching Kingdom on Netflix. It's pretty drat good too. It looks like it cost a lot to make for a Korean show. It's way better than the more recent seasons of Walking Dead.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Mr. Holland's Opus is streaming on HBO, no matter what HBO you have. It's another very very very good movie for an afternoon where you're dealing with the after effects of overindulgence and got nothing going on.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Still waiting on my UBIK movie 🤬

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Oh man, Bad Taste is on Prime, haven't seen it in years!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

h3r0n posted:

I just read this not too long ago and really enjoyed it. This would make an awesome movie.
I read it in the late 90's and my brain will forever equate Taverner with Conan O'Brien.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The body swapping episode of Twilight Zone was good. The rest so far have been boring.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Has anyone seen this new Will Ferrel movie Eurovision Song Contest that dropped today yet? I'm having a discord watch party later and I'm hoping it's not a dud.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The first of four new Adventure Time: Distant Lands specials is up on HBO Max. It's about 45 minutes of BMO adventures and it's wonderful.

I fuckin' love AT and I love the line they're walking to avoid being too fan-servicey while still building on the world instead of insisting on truly random sidestories.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Bedlam posted:

Has anyone seen this new Will Ferrel movie Eurovision Song Contest that dropped today yet? I'm having a discord watch party later and I'm hoping it's not a dud.

I liked it. It's a very sappy, feel-good type movie.
Too long, though.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lechtansi posted:

Those movies are both...very good. As is Blade Runner. And A Scanner Darkly. Even Screamers and Paycheck have their charms. PKD has a pretty good adaptation record

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

Those movies are both...very good. As is Blade Runner. And A Scanner Darkly. Even Screamers and Paycheck have their charms. PKD has a pretty good adaptation record

Screamers is one of those movies I rented from blockbuster in the 90's as a kid that was so weird that I spent the next 20 years wondering if it was a real movie or if I'd dreamed it.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

DeimosRising posted:

A scanner darkly is very good and blade runner is an adaptation pretty much in concept only. Screamers, Minority report, paycheck, next, and adjustment bureau are passable, and there are at least 4 more movie adaptations you've never heard of (impostor, Confessions d'un Barjo, radio free albermuth and the crystal crypt).

Yes i did just look this up on wikipedia why did you ask.

BisterdDave posted:

Paycheck is one of my all time favorite PKD stories and I was bummed how it came out. Oh well.

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 27, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There’s also Total Recall, which is very loosely based on the short story We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, and The Man in The High Castle, which got a mostly-good tv adaptation.

I’ve always wanted to see a Dr Bloodmoney or Martian Time-Slip adaptation.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Philip K Dick and HP Lovecraft are basically responsible for most of at least 1980s sci fi and horror movies

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

Screamers is one of those movies I rented from blockbuster in the 90's as a kid that was so weird that I spent the next 20 years wondering if it was a real movie or if I'd dreamed it.

This was Milk Money for me

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s also Total Recall, which is very loosely based on the short story We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, and The Man in The High Castle, which got a mostly-good tv adaptation.

So loosely that it's hard to even consider it the same story. The short story does have a killer ending though, caught me by surprise the first time I read it but it's also the only logical way to end the story.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

h3r0n posted:

It was the first PKD novel I read. I picked it up one morning, dropped my girlfriend off at work, and went home. Smoked a bowl and started reading. I didn't move for 5 hours except to make coffee. I've never been so enthralled by a book except maybe the Illuminatus! trilogy.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Dark S3 on Netflix now go go go

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Mr. Holland's Opus is streaming on HBO, no matter what HBO you have. It's another very very very good movie for an afternoon where you're dealing with the after effects of overindulgence and got nothing going on.

I think Mr Holland's Opus is a comedy film where everything is just building to the performance of his Opus at the end, which is terrible, and everyone looks on pretending to be moved.

Starts around 4:50

https://youtu.be/Nm-6FCQ5MyQ

He even found space for electric guitar!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have never seen it, but I was in Jr. High when that movie came out and I remember some kid trying to talk about it, while another kid just blurted out "Mr Holland's Anus" to interrupt him, and it still makes me laugh to this day when I think about it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

I have never seen it, but I was in Jr. High when that movie came out and I remember some kid trying to talk about it, while another kid just blurted out "Mr Holland's Anus" to interrupt him, and it still makes me laugh to this day when I think about it.

That kid is now a senior contributor for Vice

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

snoot posted:

I think Mr Holland's Opus is a comedy film where everything is just building to the performance of his Opus at the end, which is terrible, and everyone looks on pretending to be moved.

Starts around 4:50

https://youtu.be/Nm-6FCQ5MyQ

He even found space for electric guitar!

I've always thought it'd be less embarrassing if they just dubbed over the sound of a bunch of farts at the end.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

isaboo posted:

Somehow I thought this show already had three seasons. This is the last one, right? I don’t think it’s possible to have another stakes-ratcheting last-scene twist without totally jumping the shark.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

isaboo posted:

Well great. Now I get to read a 4,000 word blog explaining the past two seasons to refresh the timelines and family tree.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well great. Now I get to read a 4,000 word blog explaining the past two seasons to refresh the timelines and family tree.

The official explainer website is still around

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

I got about 20 minutes into season two, realized I had no idea what was going on and stopped watching it. Need to revisit it some time.

I also just finished The Great on Hulu and thought it was fantastic.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The only good episode from the new Twilight Zone season 2 is the last one. The rest are forgettable or just plain bad. Is there anything else I should see on CBS All Access?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you just watched a bunch of bad sci-fi, why not keep going with Star Trek: Discovery? Despite having a ton of faults there's also a lot to like there, especially in season 2 when Anson Mount in on screen.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Since it's coming soon to HBO max, and season 2 just ended, I highly recommend the new Harley Quinn animated TV show. It's easily up there in my all time favorite shows, and DEFINITELY animated shows. The writers never really adjusted to the 22 minute format so every episode feels a bit crammed, but holy gently caress is it worth it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

If you just watched a bunch of bad sci-fi, why not keep going with Star Trek: Discovery? Despite having a ton of faults there's also a lot to like there, especially in season 2 when Anson Mount in on screen.

I'm the worst type of Star Trek fan: the one who refuses to watch Enterprise or Disco because they don't consider them "real Star Trek". I know it's awful and stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bedlam posted:

Absolutely adored it. I feel a lot of negative reviews don’t really love Eurovision or maybe aren’t even familiar with it. But a bunch of us watched it these evening and had a fantastic time. It really made me feel good after an awful few months of misery.