Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

MarcusSA posted:

Awesome thanks! I already have payday 2 but what about this bundle?

BOXVR is the award-winning VR fitness game where you jab, weave, and uppercut your way through workouts in time to adrenaline-pumping music.

Until You Fall invites you to battle through an awesome neon environment and strike down magic-infused monstrosities. Fantasy and synthwave collide in this physically active VR hack-and-slash roguelite.

Synth Riders is a VR rhythm hit with a unique combination of dancing and enjoyable workout. Burn those calories solo or together with your friends and track your progress thanks to in-game fitness YUR.watch

It’s $35 so you save about $3 for all those.

BOXVR is basically the cardio boxing class you'd do at a gym. Like, dancing but with boxing movements. It's fine for what it is. If you're thinking "cool, I like gym cardio classes" then it's exactly what you'll want. If you want a boxing title that's more a legit game, then check out Thrill of the Fight.

TotF will force you to learn how to pace yourself and throw controlled punches, as there is no artificial stamina system, so if you would gas yourself the gently caress out in 5 minutes of actual boxing, then you'll do the same in TotF. It feels hella satisfying to get better at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shine posted:

BOXVR is basically the cardio boxing class you'd do at a gym. Like, dancing but with boxing movements. It's fine for what it is. If you're thinking "cool, I like gym cardio classes" then it's exactly what you'll want. If you want a boxing title that's more a legit game, then check out Thrill of the Fight.

TotF will force you to learn how to pace yourself and throw controlled punches, as there is no artificial stamina system, so if you would gas yourself the gently caress out in 5 minutes of actual boxing, then you'll do the same in TotF. It feels hella satisfying to get better at it.

NRVNQSR posted:

Box VR and Synth Riders are both kind of also-rans. They're absolutely serviceable, but they don't really have anything to make them stand out compared to Beat Saber, Audica or even weird offshoots like Pistol Whip or Airtone. Unless you're really into exercise/music games you'll probably only ever play one or two games from that genre so if you're picking up any of the big names then Box VR and Synth Riders probably won't get played much.

Great thanks for both of these replies! I'll just get until you fall and Audica for now.

I'll add thrill of the fight for later though so thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: Is any of the Audica DLC worth it? Its not a huge increase in cost to add everything together if its worth it.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 26, 2020

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I am a huge Harmonix mark and I love Audica. I also love SynthRiders because the music choice and ambience is perfect. Same with Pistol Whip.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

MarcusSA posted:

So I see that Audica is on sale during the steam summer sale. My Rift is coming today so are there any other really good VR games on sale I should be on the lookout for?
I loved Walking Dead S&S. Also Boneworks, but that one is a bit more hit or miss with lots of people. I found it to have the best combat in VR I've ever played, but there's lots of physics bullshit to go through to get to it. HL:Alyx is of course amazing if you can side load it or whatever on steam?

Deathlove posted:

I am a huge Harmonix mark and I love Audica. I also love SynthRiders because the music choice and ambience is perfect. Same with Pistol Whip.

I haven't tried SynthRiders, I'll check that out! Pistol Whip is one I just can't really get into. I blame myself. Same with failing at Sekiro

Also that fuckin' stealth kayaking murder simulator just dropped on the Oculus store. How is it???

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuts and Gum posted:

I loved Walking Dead S&S. Also Boneworks, but that one is a bit more hit or miss with lots of people. I found it to have the best combat in VR I've ever played, but there's lots of physics bullshit to go through to get to it. HL:Alyx is of course amazing if you can side load it or whatever on steam?

I haven't given it a go yet, but the latest Boneworks patch apparently improves some of the physics issues. Oculus headsets just play Steam games like any other headset, as an FYI. Side-loading's just a Quest thing for indie games installed right onto it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HL:Alyx is also on sale for $45.99

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

MarcusSA posted:

Edit: Is any of the Audica DLC worth it? Its not a huge increase in cost to add everything together if its worth it.

If you like the songs, Yes. The mapping on the DLC is actually really good and fun. I've not had a single one I went "ok gently caress this" on.

NRVNQSR posted:

Box VR and Synth Riders are both kind of also-rans. They're absolutely serviceable, but they don't really have anything to make them stand out compared to Beat Saber, Audica or even weird offshoots like Pistol Whip or Airtone. Unless you're really into exercise/music games you'll probably only ever play one or two games from that genre so if you're picking up any of the big names then Box VR and Synth Riders probably won't get played much.

Synth Riders has a better OST than Beat Saber. Flat out. The mapping, The songs. Its fun af. Obviously its not the juggernaut of custom stuff that is the saber community but yeah. Part of a bundle, its a good deal imo. Community is decent, custom maps exist by GOOD mappers from the saber community.

Its been entirely updated a few times, and recently an entire graphic overhaul + YUR integration by default.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Did Oculus games drop their prices recently? I could've sworn Lone Echo, Stormland and Asgard's Wrath were all £40 last time I looked, now they're £30.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gort posted:

Did Oculus games drop their prices recently? I could've sworn Lone Echo, Stormland and Asgard's Wrath were all £40 last time I looked, now they're £30.

I just looked this morning and they were 39.99€ :/

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Under optimal conditions, can Virtual Desktop completely replace Link? It's been impressively good for slow-ish games with my (very far from optimal) setup, but Beat Saber is pretty much unplayable.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Beat Saber doesn't play great with Link either, though Oculus' tracking prediction is somewhat better than VD's so it does feel a bit better even if latency is still a problem.

If you have a Quest, I generally recommend playing latency sensitive games like Beat Saber, Thumper etc natively. They're usually not graphical powerhouses so you don't miss much and you get the added benefit of being able to play those games without any tether at all (wifi or usb). You do miss out on some of the modding potential on Beat Saber, but most stuff works.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

seravid posted:

Under optimal conditions, can Virtual Desktop completely replace Link? It's been impressively good for slow-ish games with my (very far from optimal) setup, but Beat Saber is pretty much unplayable.

I've got a 5ghz router in my vr dungeon and get 866mbs speeds. The only problems I've run into were my computer being unable to handle the game. Beat Saber works great for me, I'd put it at 99 percent as good as the demo onboard the quest.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I've noticed there's an occasional miss when there shouldn't be one, but overall the experience is still great. Does the native app allow custom songs from beatsaver?

Honestly, the main issue I have is the lack of lighthouses. Having to always keep the controllers in sight of the cameras is really cramping my style :(

^^^ Edit: that's good to hear! I'll have to take a look at routers, then

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Great Beer posted:

I've got a 5ghz router in my vr dungeon and get 866mbs speeds. The only problems I've run into were my computer being unable to handle the game. Beat Saber works great for me, I'd put it at 99 percent as good as the demo onboard the quest.

Latency can be around 2-3 frames. You can compensate by taking a step forward, or simply by getting used to it, but I was having a lot of trouble pulling off expert tracks with either Link or VD compared to native or Vive.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

SCheeseman posted:

Latency can be around 2-3 frames. You can compensate by taking a step forward, or simply by getting used to it, but I was having a lot of trouble pulling off expert tracks with either Link or VD compared to native or Vive.

My rig runs most PC games pretty well, but having played mainly on the Quest itself, the link (and Virtual Desktop link) latency was absolutely terrible to try and deal with by comparison. I don't think I'll get any rhythm games on the PC, and will probably stick to onboard Quest games.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm pretty new to this stuff so sorry if this is a dumb question but this is really only an issue if you are using the Quest or Link (?) hooked up to a PC right?

The normal Rift S wouldn't have that issue?

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I'm pretty new to this stuff so sorry if this is a dumb question but this is really only an issue if you are using the Quest or Link (?) hooked up to a PC right?

The normal Rift S wouldn't have that issue?

Pretty much. The link, both direct and with VD, have an intermediary software layer, whereas the other headsets are more of a direct video feed (not -exactly-, but there's definitely more overhead with the Quest comparatively).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Deeturbomber posted:

Pretty much. The link, both direct and with VD, have an intermediary software layer, whereas the other headsets are more of a direct video feed (not -exactly-, but there's definitely more overhead with the Quest comparatively).

Ok thanks!

Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something to look out for.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Now I'm wondering how bad it really is, since I have no frame of reference. I'm playing hard and expert versions of most songs and while I'm not acing them or anything, I do alright.

I'll definitely try the native app when I get home to compare.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

seravid posted:

Now I'm wondering how bad it really is, since I have no frame of reference. I'm playing hard and expert versions of most songs and while I'm not acing them or anything, I do alright.

I definitely noticed it with both Link cable and VD, but it's possible that VD might be better coded and my wireless/ethernet aren't exactly up to snuff to best support it.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Is there a good fan mod for the Index frunk that is similar in quality to that kickstarter that isn't selling anymore? I am tired of VR face.

clemhfandango
Jun 20, 2020

seravid posted:

While VD does a really good job, you can definitely tell the difference between it and playing natively. Beat Saber is the only game I actually own on Quest because of this, everything else I just play over Link or VD

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

There has been a substantial lighting update made to Jet Island

Here is Jet Island dev Master Indie talking about it and playing around and I've timestamped where the best demonstration of the lighting change is, during an underground boss fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1avQxE0u0nk&t=630s

This is exciting because Jet Island loving rules

who the gently caress are you?

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 26, 2020

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

So I tried out No Man's Sky on my Quest last night and the game in VR is fantastic. A very cool chill/explore type of game which VR makes just so much better. I'd forgotten the game was even out when I tried it with some friends early this week, and was surprised when it prompted me to play it with SteamVR.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I got an e-mail last weekend about my Index order I had pretty much forgotten about being live. I went ahead and bought it and it got here Wednesday. I finally got some time to fine tune and play a bit last night, and it's pretty amazing overall. The immersion is incredible at times, and feeling actual disgust when having to pick something up off a gross thing in Alyx made me realize just how "in the world" I was at that moment.

I have literally nothing installed so far except Alyx, but I think I just want to fly around beautiful landscapes and look at neat stuff. Is there anything that tickles that itch?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Indie Goon VR game (kntain) (maybe you wishlisted it ages ago) Horizon Vanguard is out now. Somewhere between a Shmup and a 3D Sega shooter. Pretty good fun so far.

https://twitter.com/HorizonVanguard/status/1276566098863968256

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Nocheez posted:

I have literally nothing installed so far except Alyx, but I think I just want to fly around beautiful landscapes and look at neat stuff. Is there anything that tickles that itch?
Google Earth VR will do that, and it's free!

E: Not landscapes but there's also the free VR Museum of Fine Art

TACD fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 26, 2020

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nocheez posted:

I got an e-mail last weekend about my Index order I had pretty much forgotten about being live. I went ahead and bought it and it got here Wednesday. I finally got some time to fine tune and play a bit last night, and it's pretty amazing overall. The immersion is incredible at times, and feeling actual disgust when having to pick something up off a gross thing in Alyx made me realize just how "in the world" I was at that moment.

Google earth VR was already mentioned, but theres some other things that spring to mind.

The demo thing "Aircar" lets you fly around a blade runner cyberpunk city. If you consider space beautiful landscape, elite dangerous is gorgeous in VR. You don't fly around but Obduction is a puzzle game set among beautiful scenery. There are of course various flight sims, if you actually want to fly fly. You need to run revive but Lone Echo doesn't have combat and the first part of the game has you floating around the rings of saturn up close which looks gorgeous. There are various photogrammetry captures of locations around the world you can find in the workshop including one created from mars rover photos letting you stand on mars. Tetris effect doesn't explore landscapes, but it sure gives you neat and trippy stuff to look at. The Climb is another you would need to run revive for, but its just mountain climbing around some beautifully rendered scenery. Apollo 11 VR lets you see the sights along the Apollo mission from liftoff to the surface of the moon. No man's Sky with the VR update lets you explore a lot of colorful worlds.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Fantastic suggestions, thanks!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I got a Oculus Quest and a PC with a GTX 1660 Super. Am I gonna actually benefit from getting the PC version of The Climb, or should I just get the Quest native version?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I loved Obduction when it came out but returning to it in VR is kinda awkward. The VR was added after the fact and I get worse performance in the game than I do in No Mans Sky. Still kinda neat to explore my completed save gile in VR for a bit, but I couldn't stomach a full playthrough.

Cyan are however currently working on Firmament, which is supposed to be built from the ground up for VR and I'm hyped for it if it ever comes out.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

I got a Oculus Quest and a PC with a GTX 1660 Super. Am I gonna actually benefit from getting the PC version of The Climb, or should I just get the Quest native version?

I'm pretty sure that one has cross buy, so you can try both and play whichever one you prefer

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No mans sky is literally endless and does nail the sense of scale very well. There are some truly huge things in that game. It is also very chill and after you get your ship running you can kind of gently caress off to wherever and explore at your leisure.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Spent $150 on some VR games woooo

Can’t wait to try HL and NMS when I get a day off.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

For chill-out experiences I am contractually obligated by being a space nerd to recommend Space Engine again. It's on sale for $20 on Steam at the moment.

Luneshot posted:

Wanted to bring my own VR recommendation to the thread.

Space Engine ($24.99 on Steam) is essentially a virtual planetarium/universe explorer program. It's been in development for years by what is basically a one-man team, and the first full retail release was about a year ago.

It models the universe at real scale, using astronomical catalogs to place real objects at the correct positions, with the number one goal being astronomical accuracy and realism. Procedural objects (planets, stars, star clusters, nebulae, galaxies, etc) are generated to fill in the rest of the universe. If you want to see what the sky looks like from a planet around a black hole, or that you could pluck a galaxy from the air between your fingers, this is the one for you. You can fly to basically any object you see, or use the "go-to" shortcut. You can change time speed to see orbital motion or the rotation of a planet, and you can use the "god scale"/"stereobase" gesture, using the grip buttons and starting with your arms out wide and bringing them together, to make things appear smaller (and the reverse for them to seem bigger). It's also fully playable in non-VR.

I took a few screenshots in VR earlier today.

So, despite the amount of time I've spent in it, I need to give some caveats:
  • I will fully admit that it's not really a "game". It's chill as hell to explore the universe, though.
  • If you have ample disk space, it's possible to download the previous (free) version, 0.9.8.0, and explore a little bit in non-VR mode to see if this is your thing first.
  • There is apparently a more 'guided' experience version called Overview, which is available on the Oculus store. Impressions from other people seem to be mostly along the lines of "just get Space Engine."
  • While the planets in the Solar System are fairly blurry at ground-level as they use real data, procedural planets are much more detailed.
  • It can be fairly buggy at times, and can crash without warning. You'll almost certainly see performance hitches, especially when rendering landscapes or nebulae up close. Lowering the landscape and nebula render speed will really help, but be warned in advance that it's pretty CPU-heavy.
  • You'll want to start in Vive or Oculus mode from the Steam dialog that pops up when you launch the game. As you can probably expect, launching the wrong one will leave you with controls that don't really work.
  • You probably want to bump up the controller sensitivity for stereobase (the scale-changing gesture) on the right hand and velocity on the left hand- otherwise it takes a while to get moving.

All of that said- it's still pretty cool if you like space/astronomy, and incredibly impressive for what is mostly a one-man project.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Luneshot posted:

For chill-out experiences I am contractually obligated by being a space nerd to recommend Space Engine again. It's on sale for $20 on Steam at the moment.

I have the free space engine and am pretty much done with it. Is the upgrade to the paid version worth it for the VR experience?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Nocheez posted:

I have the free space engine and am pretty much done with it. Is the upgrade to the paid version worth it for the VR experience?

The VR really does wonders for the immersion, occasional lag notwithstanding, and really helps with the sense of scale. It's definitely a step up from the old free version especially when it comes to certain graphics (nebulae and planet terrain up close, especially). There are also the spaceships if you have a penchant for orbital mechanics, but I haven't even bothered with those in VR. There's no cockpit view or anything.

That said, it's still fundamentally the same experience, so at its core its still just a fly-around-and-look-at-space-simulator with some things bolted on around the edges. It's cool, but if it's :10bux::10bux: cool depends on how much you like space. If the free version didn't really grab you with "I wish I was standing on this planet and looking around in VR" then it might not be worth it to you.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Penpal posted:

There has been a substantial lighting update made to Jet Island

Here is Jet Island dev Master Indie talking about it and playing around and I've timestamped where the best demonstration of the lighting change is, during an underground boss fight:
]

I picked this up along with VTOL (which I have yet to try) and it is a ton of fun. I only have gotten past the tutorial and messed around on the island solo but I can't wait to play it with a couple of friends this weekend. It combines the momentum of Tribes with the Worms rope, which is nothing short of fantastic. I almost wish this was a licensed Reboot game. Almost.

I was worried about motion sickness but didn't run into any issues at all. Getting a real high speed jump almost lurches my stomach like a swing set but not quite.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I used my Quest for the first time in almost two months to play a JRPG via Virtual Desktop. My Xbox controller died, but I was able to navigate menus with my meat hands. It was extremely cool, and I'll be finishing the game that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
so I go to buy a quest today but the occulus store is sold out. BUT john lewis have one in stock, will i regret not getting it direct if there is problems?

by.a.teammate fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jun 27, 2020