Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Just asking here because it's the de facto active PC gaming thread-- can anyone help me remember the name of the old early windows game (probably came out between 1995-2000?) top-down view driving game set in a futuristic city? You played as a female character, and I think it had the oldschool shareware episodic structure -- you drive around a futuristic doing overhead combat missions in hovercars, and I think the structure was a little bit like GTA 1 & 2 where you could just sort of gently caress around in the city between taking on missions at specific locations. Pretty sure there were illustrated character portraits that would pop up on the screen during dialogue, and that your "home base" was a bar for most of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

explosivo posted:

AC: Odyssey is great and I'm loving the hell out of it but the music that kicks in during dramatic scenes or when you level up is some Witcher-rear end music. I have no idea how to describe that type of singing other than "Witcher-rear end" but you know what I'm talking about.

AC: Odyssey is more HYAAA nah nahnnn, hyaaa no nonnn where Witcher is HEY! *drum drum*. I would say the Witcher level up is more like a viking Navi.

I definitely know what you mean though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

BexGu posted:

I've pretty much gotten most of the metroidvanisas (is MindSeize any good?) but was wondering if there was anything good 8/16 bit ish that wasn't just Shovel Knight/Shantae.

Worst case I'll get 3dSen PC and try out a bunch of rom hacks.

Does La-Mulana count? Quite a bit more abstract and challenging when it comes to puzzles than your typical Metroidvania, but plenty of exploration, dramatic boss fights, traversal upgrades, etc. Also in the one in a million chance you haven't played Cave Story, you should do that right away

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

goferchan posted:

Just asking here because it's the de facto active PC gaming thread-- can anyone help me remember the name of the old early windows game (probably came out between 1995-2000?) top-down view driving game set in a futuristic city? You played as a female character, and I think it had the oldschool shareware episodic structure -- you drive around a futuristic doing overhead combat missions in hovercars, and I think the structure was a little bit like GTA 1 & 2 where you could just sort of gently caress around in the city between taking on missions at specific locations. Pretty sure there were illustrated character portraits that would pop up on the screen during dialogue, and that your "home base" was a bar for most of the game.

There's a thread in retro gaming that might be worth asking in.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BexGu posted:

So while we're waiting for Dying Light 2 we're getting another expansions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3QKG9k2a68

Oh yeah, pick up Dying Light if you don't have it already for the best zombie/parkour game around.
I hope this one has, you know, a nice dense cityscape of similar to parkour through unlike The Following.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Goon looking for MMOish RPG that isn't actually an MMO - check out Kingdoms of Amalur. I know it's a bit of a joke but it's pretty, combat is fun and it's huge.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

BexGu posted:

I've pretty much gotten most of the metroidvanisas (is MindSeize any good?) but was wondering if there was anything good 8/16 bit ish that wasn't just Shovel Knight/Shantae.

You should check out Odallus: The Dark Call. Very faithful NES style, really feels like metroidvanias of that specific era.

Also Record of Lodoss War - Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth-, though it's still in early access.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

HopperUK posted:

Goon looking for MMOish RPG that isn't actually an MMO - check out Kingdoms of Amalur. I know it's a bit of a joke but it's pretty, combat is fun and it's huge.

looking forward to the remaster this august

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BexGu posted:

i dunno if you got the itch.io bundle but there are a couple of Metroidvanias in there that are solid, like Vision: Soft Reset and Mini Ghost. They're not 5 out of 5 star games though (I've played enough of Vision Soft Reset to feel like it's a good 4/5 tho)

If you want a Metroidvania-y game with some Soulsiness and 16-bit visuals to it, look into Blasphemous.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 27, 2020

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Steam's been a massive resource hog on my old computer ever since the sale dropped. Valve really needs to optimize it.

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, it's a great value when it drops to sale prices.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

BexGu posted:

I'm playing through Environmental Station Alpha for the first time right now, and it's definitely scratching that Metroid itch.

Axiom Verge is also a cool homage to Metroid.

There's also a good chance you already own these games, though.

I usually recommend Hollow Knight, but I'm pretty sure everyone who is a fan of the genre is aware of it by now.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Is the best Steam idler still ASF?

Whats the best way to mass sell cards these days.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Rookersh posted:

Is the best Steam idler still ASF?

Whats the best way to mass sell cards these days.

I don't know what ASF is but I've loved and continue to use the features of Card Idle Remastered.

I do my mass-selling via Steam Economy Enhancer.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I imagine the new points shop has completely tanked the small market for cards that existed, right? You can just buy emotes, backgrounds, etc straight up now with your steam points instead of having to craft badges. Feel a little bad for any homies who may have profited from that system, but I've got to say the new setup feels a lot more sane.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'm kind of wondering what this is going to do to it because it'll now mean the only reason to buy cards is to craft a badge, period. And that's a finite market since you can only do 5 levels tops on a non-sale badge.

Gonna be curious if this will crater some of the games I have that only 2 people other than me own that have _obscene_ card pricing

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Foil cards, bay-beeeeeeeee!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I finally bit the bullet on planet zoo and I managed to softlock myself in the tutorial. Clearly I shouldn't be trusted with animals.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

END ME SCOOB posted:

I don't know what ASF is but I've loved and continue to use the features of Card Idle Remastered.

I do my mass-selling via Steam Economy Enhancer.

Hello I knew nothing about Steam items being sellable before this so thank you for this post! Time to stare at my slowly increasing Steam wallet funds and make sales choices from there :)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

il serpente cosmico posted:

I'm playing through Environmental Station Alpha for the first time right now, and it's definitely scratching that Metroid itch.

Axiom Verge is also a cool homage to Metroid.

There's also a good chance you already own these games, though.

I usually recommend Hollow Knight, but I'm pretty sure everyone who is a fan of the genre is aware of it by now.

recommend it anyway

Hey, Steamgoons. Now that the forums aren't dying, I think you should all play Hollow Knight

Also, Iconoclasts is real good. Even if it isn't really a metroidvania, it has good music, fun bosses, and a story that made me feel Emotions.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

goferchan posted:

I imagine the new points shop has completely tanked the small market for cards that existed, right? You can just buy emotes, backgrounds, etc straight up now with your steam points instead of having to craft badges. Feel a little bad for any homies who may have profited from that system, but I've got to say the new setup feels a lot more sane.

:weed: is tanking.

https://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/753/205610-%3Aweed%3A

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

goferchan posted:

Traffic Department 2192?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

goferchan posted:

Just asking here because it's the de facto active PC gaming thread-- can anyone help me remember the name of the old early windows game (probably came out between 1995-2000?) top-down view driving game set in a futuristic city?
https://lparchive.org/Traffic-Department-2192
?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BexGu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3QKG9k2a68

Oh yeah, pick up Dying Light if you don't have it already for the best zombie/parkour game around.

Man I had Hellraid wishlisted as far back as 2015. It's cool that some form of it is actually being made.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
That looks like a bunch of re-skinned Rais goons. Looking pretty lazy, not gonna lie.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Det_no posted:

That looks like a bunch of re-skinned Rais goons. Looking pretty lazy, not gonna lie.

Yeah. Especially sad for the hellraid assets to end up as quick $$$ for DL before the hopefully good DL2 comes out.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

BexGu posted:

If this doesn't come with some sort of forward-momentum wall running i'm going to be so upset

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Anyone got recommendations for a good mechanical keyboard?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

A Sometimes Food posted:

Anyone got recommendations for a good mechanical keyboard?

Keyboard thread will have some https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825351

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

explosivo posted:

AC: Odyssey is great and I'm loving the hell out of it but the music that kicks in during dramatic scenes or when you level up is some Witcher-rear end music. I have no idea how to describe that type of singing other than "Witcher-rear end" but you know what I'm talking about.

That's modern folk music or neofolk, it is a cool genre but like everything with Europagan aesthetics it has a lot of Nazis amongst fans and creators.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

HopperUK posted:

Just FYI there is a remastered version supposedly coming out in August so people may want to wait on that.

I've had Grim Dawn on my list for a while now, and while it is only $5 the 'definitive edition' is closer to $30. Is the DLC good/worth it? How does Titan Quest compare?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Just FYI there is a remastered version supposedly coming out in August so people may want to wait on that.

I've had Grim Dawn on my list for a while now, and while it is only $5 the 'definitive edition' is closer to $30. Is the DLC good/worth it? How does Titan Quest compare?

Its a true and proper gameplay sequel to Titans Quest. (Through the developers did make the mistake of starting the game in a swamp instead of the fields of Greece like Titan Quest) The first DLC adds two new classes while the third adds a new class and a bunch of movement skills for every one. The crucible is basically a wave based "How long can you survive" mode that is great to quickly level up characters/test out a a build.

If you liked Titans Quest I would suggest going all in since all the DLC just adds to the overall core game.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Glad that people still buy TF2 crates for stupid amounts of money.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

explosivo posted:

With Valhalla on the way it's a good opportunity to become acquainted with the neopagan stylings of Heilung.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmWTZ3KfnXE

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I tried going back to TQ after finishing Grim Dawn and found it singularly unsatisfying, and I'm an absolute mark for these games. I loved titan quest in 2000 and late, but it just felt so skeletal compared to how good grim dawn is as one of those games when I went back to it.

I'd play some other looty ARPG until GD gets somewhere more palatable price-wise tbh

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Titan Quest is still enjoyable in 2020 but you absolutely MUST install the X-MAX mod that triples or quadruples the number of monsters in an area. The action and leveling are way too slow without it.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
that could only have helped yeah, last time I played TQ was right when the remaster came out and it got by on goodwill from 2006 so I bailed pretty fast

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

exquisite tea posted:

Titan Quest is still enjoyable in 2020 but you absolutely MUST install the X-MAX mod that triples or quadruples the number of monsters in an area. The action and leveling are way too slow without it.
Does that screw up the bosses in any way? I've been thinking about revisiting the game but don't want to get my face pushed in by like nine of those Act 1 cave snake lady bosses.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I've never actually played Titan's Quest which is why I asked. I've been keeping my eye on Grim Dawn prices for a while now, and it seems like they are following the 'super cheap main game, more expensive DLC' path that a lot of companies are doing (historical low on each expansion is like $12 a piece according to is there any deal).

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Every weapon except for magic in TQ feels like using a blunt comic hammer from cartoons. Without the fun though. Grim Dawn fixed that and added proper sound, no more slowmo bullshit ragdoll (or well, less of that) and gore to it making it actually good.
Too bad the environment and theme of TQ is still superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Personally, I think Grim Dawn still has many of the same weaknesses as Titan Quest did. There are only relatively few active abilities while much of skill trees consists of passives and toggles that make you powerful in a numeric sense, but that don't do anything to make your character more fun to play. It's better, but I think it's still boring in the same Titan Quest was.